Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thracian/Getae better roster request

VektorT's Avatar Biarchus

Default Thracian/Getae better roster request

Simply put: will Getae roster get more units or other thracian factions made officially playable?

Long put: for whatever reason, Getae is one of my favorite factions to play ("whatever reason" means "falx reasons"). It's a very peculiar faction since it do not fall into celtic-like barbarians neither into hellenic influenced army-like factions. It's also in a very interesting (and freaking hard) starting position where you will have the opportunity to fight many different opponents early on: the hordes of barbarians from the north, the scythians horse armies from the east, illyrians mixed forces from the southwest, hellenic heavy spear/pike infantry from the south and, of course, your own blood brothers. You will be also surrounded of strong opponents and rising empires almost the whole time and have no geographic security, being one of the hardest campaings in game. The problem is while Getae roster is diverse and fun to play, it's also very short and seriously lacks mid-term units, apart from spears, it have only "crap" early levy units or elite lategame units and few in between. It's said that Getae had powerful shock cavalry in the description, but they really have only one shock cavalry ingame, and while it's descent, you hardly will get it when in more need it (first third of the game), same for their other cool cav untis (by the way in ancient times they used to say that thracian horses was carnivorous or feed with meat by the thracians, such was their ferocity). And the all mighty coolest thing ever falx... falx is not just strong, but maybe the coolest unit ingame in my opinion, but I miss a more heavy and more durable falx unit. Odryssian Kingdom have one better falx unit like that and it even have some armor (totally destroyed one of my hoplitaes headon), but, well, Odryssian Kingdom is not playable. I dont know if it's accurate to ask Getae to also get this units, but at least Odryssian Kingdom may be playable too and receive a descent roster.

So, for the wizards who are developing DeI... any short-term plan to Getae or any other thracian faction?

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Thracian/Getae better roster request

There will at some point be added to the Thracian roster. Cannot say when but there will be. In the end every playable faction will receive some kind of overhaul.

Really? I find their starting armies a bit weak, but if you develop enough you can have a very powerful fighting force.. the melee falx cavalry (tarabostes I think) is a very good unit, it can kill heavy infantry effectively (not to mention light troops) and they can also hold their own in a fight since they use shields.. I find them very good and versatile. Also, their skirmishers (late ones) are very good and, unlike other skirmishers, once their ammo is depleted they still pack a punch in melee. When you start using the pike phalanxes, it gets easy.. you have the best solution for holding the line and one of the most efficient flanking forces in the game. And killer cav.

I am with you on the no armored falx unit.. although soldiers in the heavy elite unit sometimes carry falx, but that is not a proper falx unit. I always thought the lack of armored falxmen is due to realism, but if Odryssian's have it, I don't see with Getae can't have them.

Quote Originally Posted by gornoviceanu View Post
    Really? I find their starting armies a bit weak, but if you develop enough you can have a very powerful fighting force.. the melee falx cavalry (tarabostes I think) is a very good unit, it can kill heavy infantry effectively (not to mention light troops) and they can also hold their own in a fight since they use shields.. I find them very good and versatile. Also, their skirmishers (late ones) are very good and, unlike other skirmishers, once their ammo is depleted they still pack a punch in melee. When you start using the pike phalanxes, it gets easy.. you have the best solution for holding the line and one of the most efficient flanking forces in the game. And killer cav.

I am with you on the no armored falx unit.. although soldiers in the heavy elite unit sometimes carry falx, but that is not a proper falx unit. I always thought the lack of armored falxmen is due to realism, but if Odryssian's have it, I don't see with Getae can't have them.
    I agree, but like I said: "The problem is while Getae roster is diverse and fun to play, it's also very short and seriously lacks mid-term units". Getae have some very strong and good units, but basically all of them are top tier or elite units. Basically every faction have outstanding elite units. The problem is what you do until you get there and with what you will fill you army if you dont get the funds. I mean, I like the feeling of starting weak of Getae, relying on your falx of death and every battle being intense as f[word], but but it does lacks diversity when you realize you will be using the very same units for very long or through the whole gameplay.

What I like most about Getae is the diversity of it forces, but it could be more progressive like the better tuned factions.
    I know the team plans to fill the "less-done" factions already in game, but if Getae/thracian could be the next and in a short time, it would be great.
    Last edited by VektorT; January 19, 2015 at 09:40 AM.

I kind of agree with the OP.

The Dacians/Thracians/Illyrians have been my favourite factions during play throughs of EB ( in my Rome 1 days), due to tough & varied starting position & quality of surrounding enemies.

I have liked them in the past because of the efforts of skinners going all out on shield designs, & making them feel individual from the other barbarian factions.

Sadly in DEI the Dacians/Illyrians esp appear rather bland, especially compared with the Brits/Germanics who I always seem to pick when deceiding who to play when comparing units in custom battles.

One last skin criticism, how the hell do I remove the damn sombrero hats from the Egyptian units, my gosh I hate that hat with a passion & its spread over all of the native Egyptians in the latest version (which cuts out another factions playability).

Ofc they seem bland compared to factions that have received a massive overhaul. But it wont be in the near future looking at how much work is needed for 1.1

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

some rosters will be expanded more with 1.1, Thracians and Dacians included. Currently, Nabataea and the belgae tribes are almost finished, expand some of our rosters will be my next step

Quote Originally Posted by Ritter-Floh View Post
    some rosters will be expanded more with 1.1, Thracians and Dacians included. Currently, Nabataea and the belgae tribes are almost finished, expand some of our rosters will be my next step
    Great, great! I'm really waiting for a thracian overhaul! They are by far my favorite "barbarian" faction to play and the more unique in my opinion! And falx... falx are awesome! Falx are the epitome of awesomeness in Total War! Who needs armor when you get falx, anyway? Just dont get shot by skirmirshers... or flanked... or cavalry charged... OH, SCREW THIS! FALXMEN, CHAAAARGE!!!

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

many units will be dacian, currently 13 units - reform and start units, the Thracians get an overhaul by Meneros, but i will add 2 or 3 regional or AOR units like the Triballi tribe warriors....

Quote Originally Posted by Wolster View Post
    I kind of agree with the OP.

The Dacians/Thracians/Illyrians have been my favourite factions during play throughs of EB ( in my Rome 1 days), due to tough & varied starting position & quality of surrounding enemies.

I have liked them in the past because of the efforts of skinners going all out on shield designs, & making them feel individual from the other barbarian factions.

Sadly in DEI the Dacians/Illyrians esp appear rather bland, especially compared with the Brits/Germanics who I always seem to pick when deceiding who to play when comparing units in custom battles.

One last skin criticism, how the hell do I remove the damn sombrero hats from the Egyptian units, my gosh I hate that hat with a passion & its spread over all of the native Egyptians in the latest version (which cuts out another factions playability).
    Don't get your criticism of the greek farmer hats? They are historic so it is not relevant if you personally like that style or not... The egyptian levies are hellenic influenced so some greek hats with native styles. I find this point a rather petty reason to say a whole load of factions are not playable.

Anyway there are quite a few new things with Thracians but atm I think the Dacians are a far more interesting and developed faction right now to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Diego View Post
    Don't get your criticism of the greek farmer hats? They are historic so it is not relevant if you personally like that style or not... The egyptian levies are hellenic influenced so some greek hats with native styles. I find this point a rather petty reason to say a whole load of factions are not playable.

Anyway there are quite a few new things with Thracians but atm I think the Dacians are a far more interesting and developed faction right now to play.
    It is purely personal, I never said the factions were unplayable, I just hate that hat on whoever is wearing it, historical or not.

I only asked how (I not the mod) I get rid of it to the bargin bin it came out of, so that I can play the faction without (laughing at) wishing my own sombrero troopers die horribly.

P.S.

Historical is all well & good, but they look butt ugly.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

[QUOTE=Petrobras;14318085]Odryssian Kingdom have one better falx unit like that and it even have some armor (totally destroyed one of my hoplitaes headon), but, well, Odryssian Kingdom is not playable. I dont know if it's accurate to ask Getae to also get this units, but at least Odryssian Kingdom may be playable too and receive a descent roster.
    QUOTE]

But Odryssian Kingdom is playable....you need to buy DLC to unlock them. There were at first playable in DeI, but later were locked by DLC.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

The Pirates and Raiders DLC will unlock the Odryssian Kingdom among others

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

Cool I've always liked Nabataea, but 1.1 isn't out for a while right?

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    But Odryssian Kingdom is playable....you need to buy DLC to unlock them. There were at first playable in DeI, but later were locked by DLC.
    Really!? Didn't knew that! I thought mods made factions DLC useless! Will buy it today!
    Anyway, any other DLC worth buying? I have only Blood and Gore, Greek factions and the two free one (Baktria and Seleucid). I suppose every new factions DLC will add it as playable alsto to DeI, right? Should I also buy the unit packs and the campaing ones? I have no interest in playing the new campaings, but do they also will add new factions to the regular campaing?
    Last edited by VektorT; January 19, 2015 at 04:37 PM.

Getae have strong infantry, spearmen, heavy archers with extra range, amazing heavy skirmishers, decent cavalry and on top of that pikes and horse archers... I'm failing to see a real weakness beyond their starting position. Am I missing something?

As for the DLC, I'd say it's definitely worth buying the extra campaigns when they're on sale, they all unlock pretty interesting factions... Caesar in Gaul adds some great Celtic factions and Hannibal at the Gates unlocks the Iberian factions and Syracuse. All pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamoid View Post
    Getae have strong infantry, spearmen, heavy archers with extra range, amazing heavy skirmishers, decent cavalry and on top of that pikes and horse archers... I'm failing to see a real weakness beyond their starting position. Am I missing something?
    I did not, at any point, said that the Getae is weak. I'm just saying it roster is empty when compared to other factions. It need more units. They are not the most powerful military in the mod, so there is not need to limit their unit numbers because the ones already there are good.

By the way, the unit packs, like those crazy catapult thing and the women of whatever. Do they add something to DeI?

By the way the submod "All Factions Playable for DeI" wont make the DLC factions playable anyway?
    Last edited by VektorT; January 19, 2015 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrobras View Post
    By the way, the unit packs, like those crazy catapult thing and the women of whatever. Do they add something to DeI?

By the way the submod "All Factions Playable for DeI" wont make the DLC factions playable anyway?
    No, and no. The units from the unit packs are not included in DeI, and DLC-locked factions stay locked, even with "all factions playable."

Quote Originally Posted by Petrobras View Post
    Really!? Didn't knew that! I thought mods made factions DLC useless! Will buy it today!
    Anyway, any other DLC worth buying? I have only Blood and Gore, Greek factions and the two free one (Baktria and Seleucid). I suppose every new factions DLC will add it as playable alsto to DeI, right? Should I also buy the unit packs and the campaing ones? I have no interest in playing the new campaings, but do they also will add new factions to the regular campaing?
    You should consider the Hannibal campaign -- I'm not sure if it unlocks any factions (unless maybe Syracuse?) but the map is excellent, it offers a much more tactical style of campaign play. Caesar in Gaul is also fun, but it can't match Hannibal since Carthage > Gaul.
    Last edited by cherryfunk; January 19, 2015 at 08:08 PM.

So I bought every DLC that opens a faction in vanilla campaing, Hannibal and Caesar included. I hurts me that I'm sending money again to CA in a RTW2 product, but, well, it's for DeI!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast