Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

DoW2 was horrible. Ninja capping galore. DoW1 for sure, although the campaigns went down hill per expansion. Multi was always decent enough though. Fire Warrior maybe on a good day and some ultra old Space Hulk games were okay. Other than that, I'm not too impressed with their back catalogue.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

dow 2 wasnt horrible. was mostly an awesome game. Some disappointing cutbacks on the campaigns though (they promised entirely different endings for some of the expansions faction campaigns when really all we got was the same with some twists that made no sense depending on the faction you were playing)

on some of the larger maps, with the unit limitation, granted, u had some ninja capping going on. The game didnt allow for turtling like in the original, though. It was a much more flowing game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitai de Bodemloze View Post
    DoW2 was horrible.
    Last edited by SuperTechmarine; April 11, 2015 at 07:45 AM.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

The multiplayer in Dow2 is awesome, ant it was such a beautiful game built on a rock-solid engine. With the Elite mod (Pretty much the de facto game now) you can play as Grey Knights too.

http://www.dawnofwar.info/

Last edited by Påsan; April 13, 2015 at 02:40 PM.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Wait, I don't contest the fact that DoW2 is a good game in multi, but the single-player maps against AI are tedious and the units are too small, the unit cap is too small and you find yourself running here and there all the time, with just few poor morons, following the enemy which is always running away, DoW1, if modded with the right mods (Purgation of Kaurava or Firestorm over Kaurava) DoW was really the best simulation of a 40k tabletop experience, probably DoW2 could have been be a better game if the developers didn't impose all those idiotic limitations.
    If I play a wargame I need my miniatures, you can't build an army with just four or five units! (this is true also for the idiotic recruitment system in Rome2TW, of course (another SEGA title .. )! I hate this concept of limiting the player's recruitment choices, just to avoid a hard and serious work to build a better AI, it's a wrong tendency and I think it's only a good way to kill the rts games .. forever)

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

First trailer released!

It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Ahhemh...

OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD*

*in the girliest voice a men can do.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; May 10, 2015 at 01:42 PM.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

You only need to add the bit afte v= in the youtube tags
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

This looks like a job for Lord Admiral "Old Thunder" Ahab.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    This looks like a job for Lord Admiral "Old Thunder" Ahab.
    "To the last I grapple with thee, thou all-devouring but unconquering Void Whale! From the Warp's heart I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!"

Hey, that's what comes to mind when I hear the name Ahab used in a naval context.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Gameplay trailer, looks awesome

Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Indeed looks awesome.

As per the discussion above, it's kinda old but I see it like this, in a perfect WH40K game, open battles between armies would look like DoW1, while commando incursions and tactical strikes of small scale would look more like DoW2. For example, most Space Marines battles would be like DoW2 (unless you commit a whole company or even the chapter) while most Imperial Guard battles would be like DoW1 unless you are on a small scale infiltration or something, in which case it would be like DoW2.

Then the strategic map would be like a mix of the Total War and EU ones, but one like this for each planet and for space battles this new BGA game could do.

For the sake of sanity campaigns should be limited to a few worlds and two or three stellar systems.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

Citizen

If you want Imperial guard they should d0 TW scale at least. Dow1 did not really have that many more soldiers than Dow2. You were lucky to hit a 100. A pitful number of soldiers in real terms.

Of course, I imgine them kind of like DoW1, but with steroids, bigger maps, garrison-able buildings, huge amount of troops...

Elyrioth's Avatar Senator

Playing it in BETA at the moment, very impressed.
    10% off pre-order and you get to play Skirmish, multiplayer and the first 3 tutorial missions.
    Na Géanna Fiáine

Citizen

Yeah seen some youtube vids. It looks stellar and fun to play

There's a bunch of mods for DoW 1 which do exactly what you want in terms of IG gameplay. Ultimate Apocalypse and Armageddon Steel Legion coem to mind.

I love this game, Orks are so brutal and I love their ramming!

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

WAAAAGGGGHHHH!!

You know, the only downside is not enough dakka.

AND LOOK AT ALL THOSE ING HATS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

The game looks AWESOME and possibly I'll get it, my only concern (or complaint, as you prefer) it's that the ships are moving on a flat surface, as if they were on a oceanic water surface, instead, if you are moving in the space, the movement directions should be tridimensional ..

.. I mean that ships in the space are tridimensional vectors. I know that, in the tabletop game, you move the pieces in the same way shown by the Armada's engine, as I know that the ships in game are simply wonderful, but, .. but, .. but we should consider that a PC game should offer more (and better) alternatives to depict space battles in 3D.

In my opinion the Homeworld's engine is still far superior, in Homeworld 2 the PERFECT AI by Relic is a real killer, the enemy in fact may come from above and from below your ships, the AI may come from any direction of the 3D sapce (once I was forced to flee vertically with my ships, with two or three vertical hyperspace jumps, almost impossible even to think, because the AI was attacking my fleet with tons of light ships and destroyers coming from below my position, and I wasn't expecting an attack from that direction, the map was almost like a gigantic sphere and the hyperspace jumps were a nightmare, I had no time to fix the right coordinates of the single jumps because I was under constant pressure from the enemy, all in all, it has been a real nightmare and also the best space battle I've ever fought in any RTS game I've played!), so, the gameplay in Homeworld is freaking awesome!!
    Today, with the Remastered Edition, the Homeworld's engine is still simply PERFECT!!! Now look at the gigas of Homeworld 2: the engine is so small that it has the weight of a small fraction of any modern game on your machine, but the effect on the screen is still almost incredible and let me say once again: far superior in terms of gaming experience!

Conclusions?

Relic (before SEGA takeover) has been one of the greatest game developers of any time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast