Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you practice a martial art?

Default Re: Do you practice a martial art?

I have been practicing Krav Maga (Maor) and kick boxing for 4 years now. I like Krav Maga for being raw, relatively simple, no- approach and focused entirely on self-defense, I think it's the most useful of all martial arts I have experimented with, so this is the one I always recommend, but I love kick-boxing, because it is very, very fun and great for conditioning, even though I think the sport element dominates the self-defense aspect, so it's not as useful. The Krav Maga training sessions are much less tiring and taxing for the body, but ultimately more unpleasant, because getting punched and kicked is mostly okay, if you brace yourself (having a strong core from compound lifts helps) and avoid blows in the head, but the nerve/joint point you experience in most Krav Maga moves can make you suffer, even though we always execute them as slowly and gently as possible during practice.

I have also given Brazililian Jiu-Jitsu some tries (mostly at a good friend's insistence that it helps with grip strength and this carries over to deadlifts and rows, partly because I wanted to complement my training with becoming good at grappling), but I did not like it and found it rather impractical for a street fight/real life situation. I would like to start practicing Pankration some day, but there are no schools where I live, so hopefully when I return to Greece.
    "Blessed is he who learns how to engage in inquiry, with no impulse to hurt his countrymen or to pursue wrongful actions, but perceives the order of the immortal and ageless nature, how it is structured."
    Euripides

"This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which avails us nothing and which man should not wish to learn."
    Augustine

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Do you practice a martial art?

Started tentatively Kendo with my Son. But to really go all in I think I need to get my bad knee scoped out. Its fun and the sort of individual nature of it appeals to me (and my son he could never really buy into team sports)
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123