Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you practice a martial art?

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Do you practice a martial art?

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Let's hope it will be a little more active before I bump it again in 3 years (min) for 3rd degree
    Best of luck with it. Also congrats for the 2017 mod awards win. MoE is an excellent mod.

Boxing is counted as a European martial art.
    Irish invented it, right ? meh I'm kidding.
    Greeks were behind it. An ancient Olympic sport actually, with a few different rules (more simplistic than modern boxing).

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

It's hard to establish a continuity between pugilatus and the early forms of modern boxing. They were similar because they were both fought with the fists, but apart from that very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Macunaíma View Post
    It's hard to establish a continuity between pugilatus and the early forms of modern boxing. They were similar because they were both fought with the fists, but apart from that very different.
    Like most things as they evolve. Well, I was talking about the starting point of boxing, the ''base'' which is widely known to have started back then. Plus you're talking about Roman boxing and I posted about the early Greek sport of πυγμαχία pygmachia, "fist fighting which is dated back in 8th century BC (Home'rs Iliad)
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 16, 2018 at 05:23 PM.

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

Yes, I know. I've read the Iliad, just didn't know how to say "pugilatus" in Greek.

Jolly good! I'm glad you did sir.

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

I did greco roman wrestling... But my 10yo is the talent & my 5 yo is also showing promise; my 10yo has a brown belt in taekwondo & regularly competes (is national champ), in sparring tournaments for last 2 years; we also train together a bit when I am not working/ he is not training at his tkd club. Plan to introduce him to some form of grappling (don't know if i should go wrestling; judo; or BJJ) in the next 2 years. Although his TKD school does teach a little grappling as part of the self-defense part of tkd class.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Yes, I'm rug belt of Abide Chi, and a Great Duder of Karatake It Easy and Dude Jitzu

jokes aside, when I was a lad I practiced Karate till orange, but then the Dojo I was frequenting changed the Sensei and the new one I didn't like at all; I was probably 12 or 13 when I left and quickly lost the interest in it (moved to music and alchool ). This Dojo was infact a big multi-sport center and they did not care about the quality of the people they were hiring, and that was a pity because the old sensei was a great man, very kind and supportive.
    I once tried Kendo (with a friend of mine who was practicing it), good Dude they hit hard with those bamboos.. the sensei gifted me a Shinai because he told "that I had the courage to withstand hits", while infact I was just unable to see anything though the mask I think I could have given it a go (the Sensei was a good man indeed), if not that I was 20 already and too much concerned about other kind of "fights" at the time; in any case I still have the Shinai in my room (it's one of the few things I brought with me when I left my parents' home some 10 years ago).
    Last edited by Flinn; September 10, 2018 at 06:40 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Indefinitely Banned

I always wanted to take up kickboxing, what do you guys think of that?

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Since I got my 2nd Degree black belt last year, this year I'll focus on getting official teacher diploma.

Our sensei got some surgery this summer, and so he can only start again maybe end October.

We have only one other "official" teacher, but he was in vacation, so last week I taught the two lessons, including for beginner. I got rather positive feedback.

Blog Entries

teaching is always awesome my friend, especially if you can beat them with a broom as a part of the lesson

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Patrician Artifex

we use a staff. Kind of broom without the cleaning part at the end

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

I did German longsword for a while. Was awful at it unfortunately so I stopped, but it was pretty fun!
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Patrician Artifex

Wha't a the difference between German longsword, and say Scottish longsword?

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Wha't a the difference between German longsword, and say Scottish longsword?
    What's the difference between Taekwon-do and karate? They're just different traditions that evolved in different countries. Longswords were more common in Germany than in most other places so they have a richer tradition. They also have some really detailed illustrated manuals in Germany from a variety of timeperiods (e.g. Lichtenauer, Ringeck, and later on, Meyer) from which its possible to reconstruct not just 17th century duelling techniques, but actual medieval swordsmanship. In terms of the physical objects, Scottish longswords are slightly different from German ones - they often have the crossguard bars curved upwards and sometimes have a folded metal guard for the hand. But you could easily practice the art of German longsword with a Scottish-style sword if you wanted. I also did Scottish backsword for a little - backsword is a one-handed sword with only one sharpened edge and a metal cage over the hilt to protect your hand. It was often a duelling sword/training sword used to practice broadsword, a similar but larger and two-edged sword that was used by highlanders in battle in the 17th and 18th centuries.
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; September 14, 2018 at 07:54 AM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Patrician Artifex

In June, I got my Assistant Teacher diploma for Aikido

Blog Entries

Congrats!

A very good friend of mine is as well an Assistan Teacher of Aikido, in Milano

Patrician Artifex

Last time I went to Dublin for work, I went to a local Aikido club to practice with them. There were only 3 Irish guys, and another guy who was an Italian working in Germany, also in a business trip to Dublin.

I haven't done in a few years; but over the last 25+ years I've done karate, kung fu and Muay Thai, with a little judo, escrima and MMA for seasoning. I would like to give Krav Maga a try, or else return to Muay Thai.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Does anyone here practice Krav Maga?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Ukiah's Avatar Decanus

She was a South Korean special forces soldier:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast