Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Download] CIU - West. (Dacians ready)

Default Re: [Download] CIU - West. (Dacians ready)

Because I've remove them

14182's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Avetis View Post
    Thank you guys.

After some consulting with gamers and historians I consider that new Dacian units have to be deleted. They are making roster too balanced and the gameplay - not unique.
    So both new Dacian units deleted.

CA made very good and unique battle balance for Dacia, so I don't want to destroy it

according to this, you don't need reskin-only version atm, just use this one. files updated, enjoy!
    Good to hear this! I am downloading the mod right now
    "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

Arrigo Sacchi

Thank you guys.

After some consulting with gamers and historians I consider that new Dacian units have to be deleted. They are making roster too balanced and the gameplay - not unique.
    So both new Dacian units deleted.

CA made very good and unique battle balance for Dacia, so I don't want to destroy it

according to this, you don't need reskin-only version atm, just use this one. files updated, enjoy!
    So, you're looking for ''battle balance'' or historic accuracy ? History tell us a lot more about ''unbalance'', than ''balance''. IMHO, wrong decision.

I'm looking for historic look actually, not historic roster and not balanced rosters.
    CA made exactly unbalanced armies, so players must find unique ways to play different factions. I don't want to balance it

And I think adding units "just because I can" is no good

however, here is the version with 2 new units
    Last edited by Avetis; January 17, 2015 at 06:38 AM.

THX Avetis ;3

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Great mod ! Loved your work on East faction. So I understand the Steam version has no new units. I am right ?

Edit : arrggghhh ! I posted too quickly. No new units as I understand from the previous post. Wonderful ! I am going to be able to play drastic battle mods with fantastic units look.
    Last edited by Anna_Gein; January 18, 2015 at 08:39 AM.

I'm looking for historic look actually, not historic roster and not balanced rosters.
    And I think adding units "just because I can" is no good
    But you didn't understand: add units that were historically accurate and not present anywhere. A good starting point is http://www.europabarbarorum.com/fact...tai_units.html (and most complete)

Chernish's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by leonardusius View Post
    But you didn't understand: add units that were historically accurate and not present anywhere.
    Rather, you do not understand: the author's right to do as he thinks is right. Especially that Avetis laid out version with the addition of two new units
    Do what must be and let be what will

Great units, Avetis. Keep up the fantastic work.

CA made exactly unbalanced armies, so players must find unique ways to play different factions. I don't want to balance it
    I think CA has created the ILLUSION of unbalanced armies by leaving gaps in their rosters, which I personally find quite frustrating. However, CA has a lot of inconsistencies between the appearance of their units and the actual stats. I'm not sure if the Dacians are a good example of this. However, I frequently see units wearing, say, leather, but they have the mail or scale ARMOUR VALUE in the land_units table. Similarly, I've seen units with, say, a gladius, but according to land_units they only have a dagger. At first, I assumed this was just sloppiness on CA's part, but after all the updates it's now obviously more to do with balancing. I do find it irritating and extremely misleading. If I see a unit wearing leather armour, I expect him to have the leather stat, not the stat for mail, which is obviously a lot higher. If CA feels the unit needs mail armour for balancing reasons, then show him wearing it... In other words, I wouldn't give CA too much credit with regards to creating highly historical unbalanced armies. They have tried to balance the armies for gameplay reasons, but in a slightly misleading manner. I would prefer that they just fill in a few gaps in the rosters. If a player doesn't want certain units, such as the totally ridiculous gladiators in the Roman roster, then he doesn't have to build them.

There's also another argument. What we're playing here is essentially an alternative history. The Romans and the Greeks frequently changed their tactics and equipment after coming into contact with other cultures. In reality, the Dacians never spread that far. But under the player, they could conquer the entire map. As a result, I would expect to see a few additions to their roster during the course of the game as they learn new fighting styles and come across fresh technologies.

Obviously, it's all a moot point in this particular instance because you HAVE - quite rightly in my opinion - included links for the new units. However, moving forward with future rosters, if I were you, I wouldn't limit myself too much based upon what CA has done. Nor would I get overly married to what happened in history, given that the game allows the player to re-imagine history (I want a degree of historical faithfulness, but I think that some of the guys on this forum take the historical accuracy to the extreme, which is pointless given that the actual campaigns we play involve us creating history rather than slavishly following it). Besides, you seem to have a very disciplined approach and you're not adding dozens of new units to these factions just for the hell of it. Instead, you're just filling the odd gap, which I think is reasonable.

Anyway, once again, fantastic work and I'm looking forward to the next installment.
    Last edited by crawe1; January 23, 2015 at 05:21 AM.

The links don't work :'( Are you waiting for the patch?
    Art finds her own perfection within, and not outside of herself. She is not to be judged by any external standard of resemblance. She is a veil, rather than a mirror. -Oscar Wilde

I dont know if avetis follow his work in the CIU project...i hope he returns

These links are not working and they are not on steam these files . Please re-upload them here . -.version with 2 new units (not steam)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12