View Poll Results: Are you excited about a Warhammer Total war hybrid?

Voters
407. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

222 54.55%
  • No

140 34.40%
  • I don't care

45 11.06%
Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War: WARHAMMER officially confirmed!

Default Re: Total War: WARHAMMER officially confirmed!

Quote Originally Posted by DeliCiousTZM View Post
    I think what many of us long to see is CA unburdoned by these people whining on every little thing. I can't wait to read and comment on the threads in the new Warhammer total war section.

As long as they remember total war,size,scale,epicness, synonyms. They can't fail.

But! If i see unit sizes between 10-30 units, i know.... they didn't understand what we wanted.
    sorry for double post
    but one needs special skills to be unable to represent size and scale with epicness of warhammer
    its designed to be epic and badass and cool
    how do you even go from that to something lower

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Warhammer? Omg... I think Attila will be last game for me what I will play. Gonna skip this warhammer trash and take some retired year or two.
    Last edited by Noif de Bodemloze; January 14, 2015 at 11:50 AM.

Oh dear - this could go very well, or very badly.

Considering the whinges with Chariots in Rome 2, I'm just waiting until the Multiplayer community gets to see Flying Chariots loaded with Bolt Throwers pulled by Giant Eagles in action. If that doesn't get you interested, then you're a right proper fun sponge and I don't want you in my life.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponasozis View Post
    ca does not even need to make much stuff
    1 take warhammer mod from medieval 2
    2 insert new engine and graphics
    3 done

off course i am just joking but still
    i would be really pissed if warhammer mod would be better then game
    I would absolutelly hate if they did that. A game like warhammer deserves (if not needs) unique mechanics.

The reason why I never got into Call of Warhammer is that yeah, units look cool and varied, but after 5 minutes you notice that it's ultimatelly exactly the same game, and that's not fun. Aside from visuals, all units play the same, all factions feel the same, etc.

I think (for this particular thing of unit and faction asymetry) they could use games lie Battle for Middle Earth, Warcraft 3 or Starcraft. I recall them doing a good job in that. What I mean with this, is that a Troll felt like a Troll (sending people flying in the air with a big ass club) and not like a slightly oversized infantryman (just autoattacking normally with bigger stats), that an Oliphaunt felt like an Oliphaunt and not like a big knight, that you might be an expert at playing orcs in warcraft 3 and don't even know how to build houses with the undead... that a hero in W3 (say, a Tauren chieftain, with an inventory and unique abilities) plays nothing like a normal unit (say, a normal Tauren), etc.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; January 14, 2015 at 12:07 PM.

Got to this thread from the Rome 2 subforum. Unsurprisingly, the reception in there is overwhelmingly negative.

I'm not gona take the "true Total War fan" high ground and bash this game, saying it's doomed to failure and berate CA and anyone who is excited for a Warhammer in Total War. In fact, this is an interesting situation that will probably mean Total War is branching out and could have parallel series in the main Total War franchise (not considering Total War Battles), since sequels could come if it's successful enough. They also seem to have some Warhammer enthusiasts in CA, and they have recently done their license justice with Alien: Isolation. However, they have always taken some liberties in regards to history and I'm pretty sure they will do the same with the Warhammer universe.

On the gransdstanding side, I'm not really interested in Warhammer, and I wouldn't have minded if Warhammer had never crossed roads with Total War, but I'm in no place to be angry or deny the rest of the playerbase the chance enjoy a Total War Warhammer (provided it's enjoyable) just because I envisioned the franchise in a way that suits my "high standards (bigotry)".

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Noif de Bodemloze View Post
    Warhammer? Omg... I think Attila will be last game for me what I will play. Gonna skip this warhammer trash and take some retired year or two.
    Once again, this isn't a main Total War game. Mike Simpson, who basically leads all the development teams stated, that the main Total War team will ALWAYS be doing Historical, Single Player Total War games. This is obviously a side game in the series, and them branching out with the brand a bit is a good thing imo.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    Once again, this isn't a main Total War game. Mike Simpson, who basically leads all the development teams stated, that the main Total War team will ALWAYS be doing Historical, Single Player Total War games. This is obviously a side game in the series, and them branching out with the brand a bit is a good thing imo.
    If that's true, I hope that does not mean the Warhammer game will have sub-par quality.

Making a good Warhammer game would take a lot more talent and ambition than making just another normal TW game (a Pike&Shot game being probably an exception, due to its really complicated mechanics).
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; January 14, 2015 at 12:43 PM.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasete View Post
    If that's true, I hope that does not mean the Warhammer game with have sub-par quality.

Making a good Warhammer game would take a lot more talent and ambition than making just another normal TW game (a Pike&Shot game being probably an exception, due to its really complicated mechanics).
    True it needs stuff which would not be part of the normal games.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Quote Originally Posted by Noif de Bodemloze View Post
    Interesting level of elitism on this forum

Opinions differ, and I'm of the opinion that I'm PUMPED with the potential of this release.

Warhammer got me started on wargaming, and Total War gave me a game that realised everything I wanted in real time strategy and tactics.

Putting the two together is a possible marriage made in heaven.

- The strengths of Total War are its game engine, its weaknesses are mostly due to the limitations of the eras it is modelling.

- The weakness of Warhammer is its game engine (which is skewed to sell models), the strength of Warhammer is the depth of its magical game world.

Combine the potential realism of Total War, with the game depth of the Warhammer World and we could have something better than any edition of Warhammer or any edition of Total War. Note to elitists; the more variables in warfare, the greater the strategic and tactical depth. And a magical world of multiple races, factions, creature types, monsters, and technology levels has much more depth than any historical setting CA could ever choose to model. This is a good opportunity

Of course, this could well turn out to be a marriage made in hell, if some past GW licenses tell us anything. But I'm rooting for CA. I hope you hit this ball out of the park

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasete View Post
    If that's true, I hope that does not mean the Warhammer game with have sub-par quality.

I think its more about how they differentiate among development teams. Like the "main" team who does stuff for Attila/Rome II, the mobile team who does Total War: Battles, the console team and all of that. The exact quote from the interview was

We have five teams. The original core team is working on the main game, Attila at the moment, and it’s still the same size as it was, or just slightly larger than on the previous project. So it’s not like we’re diluting the main team in order to do more projects. The main team will always be focused on single-player historical strategy games. All of these offshoots, though, we’ll try different things. Some will work well, some not so well, and we’ll just keep going.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Well, tbh i see a lot of Warhammer esque style in Attila. Ever since Rome II i feel like i have been seeing Possible Warhammer features tried out in the total war setting and Attila is no different.

The most interesting part will be to see how they tackle Heroes.

I only think(Maybe hope) That Warhammer is receiving the same if not near priority that the other total war games are, anything else is setting up for failure.
    Last edited by DeliCiousTZM; January 14, 2015 at 12:52 PM.
    Youtube channel
    Twitch channel
    Looking forward to Warhammer Total War

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Well, tbh i see a lot of Warhammer esque style in Attila. Ever since Rome II i feel like i have been seeing Possible Warhammer features tried out in the total war setting and Attila is no different.

The most interesting part will be to see how they tackle Heroes.
    BURN! KILL! MAIM! THE GODS ARE WATCHING!

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

They should do heroes as Warhammer Mark of Chaos did: Individual units that you level and gear up and that you can attach to other units in your army.
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

This is definitely great news, when I heard about this early on today, couldn't believe it . I hope game will use lots of new mechanics from Attila, like Hordes, dynamic fire and whole apocalyptic atmosphere and art direction. Definitely Orcs, Chaos would work as horde, they'd have to create something for Vampires, like fight during the night time only or heavy dark clouds during the days with bats.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I would be more excited about this (I've wanted a Total War-esque Warhammer game for a while) if it wasn't being done by CA but judging how awful CA have got and how they completely ballsed up Rome 2 (and how every game since Empire has been a nightmare [Shogun 2 was good though]) and insist that there's nothing wrong with their methods and the god awful warscape engine, I just don't have high hopes.

I'm sure they'll just photoshop some amazing in-game screenshots, post some amazing pre-rendered videos, post tonnes of videos of them talking about how amazing and how impressed they are by their own work and then release a buggy mess and insist that it's a success.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Warhammer is perfect for total war style engines, epic visceral battles while politics takes a more side role (unlike paradox style engines for instance).

Now with the changes seen for Atilla it's even more inline with the Warhammer universe: rampaging hordes hell-bent on death and destruction and impending doom, desperation in the defense of civilized lands etc. Coupled with the expressed passion that many of the CA developers and artists have stated in the past concerning the Warhammer universe. Hopefully the animators are fans, otherwise there will be trouble, most of the work will be the animations.

I'm reasonably hopeful.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Since CA likes making fantasy games might as well use a fantasy setting
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Hopefully the animators are fans, otherwise there will be trouble, most of the work will be the animations.
    Yupp, I can't help but feel like proper animations will have a huge role on the success of the game. On if it feels like a mod or a fully fledged fantasy game. Attention to detail will be important to achieve immersion, and sadly for them, they can't just get "idle_infantry_animation.file" and copy paste it to 90% of the units. Every faction has tons of different units from different sizes and species (and dimensions ^^), and it would be a bummer if they did not have unique animations.

Again, I think they should consider Battle for Middle Earth (1) as insipration for how to handle unique/big units (not saying the game was good or bad, just saying it did a decent job on that).

I think what many of us long to see is CA unburdoned by these people whining on every little thing. I can't wait to read and comment on the threads in the new Warhammer total war section.

As long as they remember total war,size,scale,epicness, synonyms. They can't fail.

But! If i see unit sizes between 10-30 units, i know.... they didn't understand what we wanted.
    I doubt that they would be so cruel to give us 10-30 models in units. I think they know unit size in Warhammer is in scale... *nervous laughter*

And about the rest of your observations, there were some things in Rome 2 that also instantly poped in my head and screamed "Warhammer TW" incoming. Screaming in positive way For example ability to at last choose bodyguard unit for army, which could be now somehow tied to the IC. (Independent Characters)
    How many times someone guessed wrong about my nationality: 3
    Where do I not come from: Czech Republic, US, South America, Former Colony, Germany, Austria, Switzerland

Oh. Hell. Yeah.