Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A request from Brennus

Default A request from Brennus

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Dear Europa Barbarorum fans,
    First of all thank you to everyone for the ongoing support you have shown and expressed for Europa Barbarorum. It seems quite strange to think that Europa Barbarorum will be ten years old this year, although it must be said that not everyone in the team has been around that long, including myself. For those of who unfamiliar with who I am, I am the faction coordinator for all Celtic factions in Europa Barbarorum II: the Aedui, Arverni, Arevaci, Boii and Pritanoi. I have been in this role for 4 years now, and by and large almost every description which exists for these factions was researched and written by me.
    In real life I work at the University of Leicester, examining various aspects of the Iron Age in Gaul and Britain, with my main research being focused on the burial practices of people in southern Britain and northern Gaul during the La Tène period of the Iron Age. As those of you who follow the Twitter feed may already be aware, in just over a month’s time Europa Barbarorum will be presenting at the Digital Past 2015 conference. The list of delegates who will be presenting at this conference includes representatives from the University of Oxford, the British Museum and Microsoft’s UK research division. In my capacity as a member of the Europa Barbarorum team and representative of the University of Leicester, I will be presenting alongside them. Considering the esteem of some of the institutions who will be attending, as well as the desire to spread awareness of Europa Barbarorum, and great work of past and present members of the team, it will be necessary to present a strong paper.
    I would therefore like to invite you to help with gathering the necessary data to present at this conference, by asking you to answer the following questions. Three of the questions utilise a numeric answer system to aid with coding and analysing responses, however feel free to leave comments with these questions if you wish to. All forum users who choose to take part will remain anonymous unless you express your wish to be named in the results:
    Do you feel that increased historical accuracy detracts from or increases the excitement/enjoyment of such games?
    Strongly Detracts (1). Detracts (2). Has no real effect (3). Increases (4). Strongly Increases (5).
    As a result of playing Europa Barbarorum have you developed a greater interest in history, archaeology or the past in general?
    Would you prefer to see more historical accuracy in other games, or other forms of visual media such as films or television programmes?
    Yes (1). No (2). Indifferent (3).
    Has playing Europa Barbarorum improved or altered your understanding of the period 272BC – AD14.
    As a game, what is the greatest strength of Europa Barbarorum and what is perhaps its greatest weakness?
    Does the fact that Europa Barbarorum is open to volunteers and fan contributions make its work more appealing or not.
    It makes it very unappealing (1). It is not appealing (2). No real effect (3). It makes it appealing (4). It makes it strongly appealing (5).

Once again, thank you to everyone who has taken an interest in this modification, and thank you for taking part in this survey and sharing your thoughts. And remember,
    Quisque est Barbarus Alio.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Default Re: A request from Brennus

That's great news and happy to help! However, I highly suggest you create a google form http://www.google.com/forms/about, then link that and gather your data that way. It's an easy way to get a more professional result (and has been used copiously here around here, especially in the aftermath of the Rome 2 failure in order to give feedback to CA). People can also then share the link in PM's or whatever to get you more responders.

Do you feel that increased historical accuracy detracts from or increases the excitement/enjoyment of such games?
    IMO historical accuracy separates EB from many other mods. (5)

As a result of playing Europa Barbarorum have you developed a greater interest in history, archaeology or the past in general?
    I would never have known how truly impressive the Seleukid Empire truly was without playing EB as well as many other factions. (1) Yes

Has playing Europa Barbarorum improved or altered your understanding of the period 272BC – AD14.
    More than I can say.

As a game, what is the greatest strength of Europa Barbarorum and what is perhaps its greatest weakness?
    So far IMO the lack of units is the greatest weakness so far. I am not sure why many of the units from EB I were not ported over but I am sure that it will be rectified in time. (Hopefully not too long a time ). No opinion on the strength yet, I need to play more but overall the mod has huge potential in many areas.

Does the fact that Europa Barbarorum is open to volunteers and fan contributions make its work more appealing or not.
    It makes it strongly appealing (5).

The more historical accuracy, the better. It is rewarding to play a campaign that tries to mimic realism, as just as MIKE GOLF said, it is what makes EB unique. (5)

Yes (1), although I already loved history since before playing EB.

Would you prefer to see more historical accuracy in other games, or other forms of visual media such as films or television programmes?
    Of course! (1)

Totally. Before playing EB, I didn't know nations such as Saba or Taksashila (I didn't even know about the city of Taksashila), I knew very little about Nabatea, I didn't know about the Chremonidean War, and several other minor things.

The greatest strength is the historical accuracy. The greatest weakness is that EBII isn't finished yet.

It makes it strongly appealing (5), as some volunteers are history experts, such as you, Brennus.
    Last edited by Architect of Doom; January 11, 2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Improved answers.

Senator

One of the reason I still play EB1 is the historical accuracy and it makes the mod unique so= Strongly Increases (5)
    Yes definitly,I had an interest before but not nearly as much and not about the period. =4
    Yes There are enough shows and games that I would like a lot more if they were historical accurate or at least tried to be.That includes using real fighting techniques for example HEMA.

Definitely ,I had no real clue about many aspects of life back then especially in the germanic and celtic world,as well as how Hoplites fought and a lot more.

The historic accuracy and the immersion I have when playing it, the world(Voices in Latin,etc),the unit and building descriptions.The weakness would be really the AI in EB1.
    EB2 has the same strenght but the weakness of not being complete .
    5. Don't really know what I could have against it.
    Last edited by Sint; January 09, 2015 at 05:53 PM.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

I agree with everyone. More historical realism is welcome as history is one of the things that drew people to this mod in the first place and in fact it only lacks more historical things (units, for example).
    Last edited by naq; January 10, 2015 at 03:38 AM.

SamueleD's Avatar Campidoctor

Strongly Increases (5).
    I feel like it is an excellent excuse to introduce interesting and unique game mechanics.

No, but I was already quite interested in those things before playing EB.

Yes (1).
    As I said before, it is an excellent excuse for interesting game mechanics. However I think it could also serve to create interesting plots and characters and present cultures and values that are different from (or in some cases similar to) our own. Overall I think it would only make for more enriching experiences.

Yes, absolutely. It has allowed me to get to know, often quite in detail, many different cultures and peoples from the period.

I think historical accuracy is both its strength and weakness (though the limitations of the engine certainly are another great weakness). This is because while on one side it makes the game more interesting, on the other side it makes it more complex, which, unfortunately, seems to scare some people.

It makes it strongly appealing (5).
    While I'm sure there are quite a few experts in the EB team, it seems to me that they are expert enough to know that they don't know everything, and that contributions from volunteers and fans can only benefit the project.
    Last edited by SamueleD; January 10, 2015 at 05:07 AM.

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

Congratulations!

Strongly Increases (5).

Yes, It was one of the things that made me consider studying History in Uni. It rekindled my interest in history that had been dormant for some years.

Yes (1) Everytime I see something that I know is inaccurate it takes me instantly out of the movie.

playing Europa Barbarorum improved or altered your understanding of the period 272BC – AD14.
    Certainly, I was aware of but didn't know much about the cultures apart from Rome, the Gallic tribes and the main Hellenistic ones. I have much better knowledge of warfare in the hellenistic era, since I started to read about what historical tactics and formations that was used by the different armies.

The greatest strength of EB is that it respects its audience, that "we" can and want to read, that we want the historical depiction of a faction, not the flashy one with lots of colours and explosions and flaming pigs or ninjas. "We" are not here for the hollywood depiction of the era.
    The greatest weakness is the ancient m2tw-platform with all it's hardcoded limits, though it's still the best one of all the tw games.

It makes it appealing (4)

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to
    (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

Strongly Detracts (1). Detracts (2). Has no real effect (3). Increases (4). Strongly Increases (5).
    5 - it's what distinguishes EB from the other mods out there. That focus on historical accuracy is a strong differentiator.

I've always been interested in history and the past, EB has focused my interests on antiquity generally and the Hellenistic period in particular.

Yes, though unfortunately I think the market for it is generally pretty small. Most people are ignorant of the history, and don't really care anyway.

Definitely, it's deepened my knowledge of the period, and prompted me to do lots of my own reading.

I'd say the greatest strength is the historical accuracy, and the way the team apply that in interesting ways to the game. Greatest weakness are the myriad flaws, omissions and foibles of the engine CA created.

It makes it very unappealing (1). It is not appealing (2). No real effect (3). It makes it appealing (4). It makes it strongly appealing (5).
    Obviously a 5 for me, given I joined the team!

First, thanks to the team (and former team members) for these mods (EB1&2)!

, It is something I seek in games, either strategy games or FPS games.

Not "in general", I have always been interested in history and archaeology but EB got me interested to a less romano-greek centered history.

Definitely! Though I enjoyed when strong fantasy aspects are assumed for the fun like in 300, Jason and the Argonauts or Pirates of the Carribean, I hate when it is sold as "historic" and are full of historical errors (Scott's Robin Hood, Troy, Rome 2 TW)

playing Europa Barbarorum improved or altered your understanding of the period 272BC – AD14.
    Definitely improved!

As a game, the greatest strength is the Total War series strenght: the mix of strategy (diplomacy, empire-building, economy etc) and tactic (real-time battle). Its greatest weakness: the AI, and the limits that come from its nature as a mod i.e. hardcoded limits (difficulty to add what you want in simple ways).

definitely more appealing.

Sorry for the poor English.

(5), i'm always for immersion ! And historical accuracy is immersion !

I would rather say that it all came together, when i started getting interested in this period (thanks to Rome II and its lacunas), and then, i knew i needed to play EB II for a better (much better :3) experience.

(1), absolutly yes, in my opinion, even if the period exploited in a game or a movie is very ancient, i believe that it deserve to be equally faithful to the reality in its development.

Has playing Europa Barbarorum improved or altered your understanding of the period 272BC – AD14?
    Yes, mainly for equipments the different factions wore.

EB strength : Its depiction of history.
    EB weakness : Game engine limitations (but this engine is in my opinion the better one from CA in terms of combat simulation.

(5), really more appealing since it give perennity to the project, and give moreover hope to see more progress to this one !
    Last edited by Ardionso; January 10, 2015 at 10:29 AM.

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

, Yes it is something I want in strategy games and Total war games and mods.

I have always been interested in history and archaeology and EB help me to expand my knowledges.

Definitely yes. I love watching historical movies.

Playing Europa Barbarorum improved or altered your understanding of the period 272BC – AD14.
    Definitely improved!

I'd say the greatest strength is the historical accuracy. Greatest weakness i think that is the lack of manpower.

Definitely more appealing.
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

Brihentin13's Avatar Campidoctor

1.Do you feel that increased historical accuracy detracts from or increases the excitement/enjoyment of such games?

(5) I find the historical accuracy to be the real selling point for EB. Lots of mods do neat things with gameplay, but you don't normallyfind games with this kind of attention to detail.

2.As a result of playing Europa Barbarorum have you developed a greater interest in history, archaeology or the past in general?

Yes. It was nice to see the legacy of our ancestors brought to life in such a fun way.

3.Would you prefer to see more historical accuracy in other games, or other forms of visual media such as films or television programmes?

Yes (1) It's actually a little annoying now, because I've picked up the unfortunate habit of pointing out inaccuracies in other media. "Dammit, why are these pre-Marian Romans all wearing Lorica Segmentata?"

4.Has playing Europa Barbarorum improved or altered your understanding of the period 272BC – AD14.

Definitely! My knowledge of this era previously consisted of "Greeks did stuff, then Rome conquered stuff. The end."There's a lot to learn, and EB has been a very funny way of learning it.

5.As a game, what is the greatest strength of Europa Barbarorum and what is perhaps its greatest weakness?

Strength: Fantastic unit selection Weakness:Somewhat buggy software

EB's fantastic unit selection in conjunction with an area of recruitment function stands out as it's strongest point. After all, recruiting Gauls in India would be silly, so the idea of local auxiliaries for all factions really appeals to me. The only real weaknesses that EB has come as a result of engine limitations. Hardcoded faction and unit limits prevent the team from adding in everything that they and the fans want. The odd glitches, CTD's, and corrupted saves break the immersion, but I really blame that more on the Creative Assembly than the modders I would really like to see what the EB team could do with their own engine and some funding.

6.Does the fact that Europa Barbarorum is open to volunteers and fan contributions make its work more appealing or not.

(5) Definitely More Appealing

Europa Barbarorum is so wonderful in many ways because of the fans. The big businesses like the CA don't care about us, but the EB team does because the EB team IS us. You know that your feedback to a developer will be appreciated when that developer is more interested in the love of the game than profit.

You can use my name in the results if you like. After all, my real isn't "Brihentin". I might name one of my kids "Brennos" though...

Free Kekistan

, It Absolutely adds to the experience, it really helps to the longevity of games.

Yes, in history, i realised that the ancient world was complex and with such different cultures, because of EB now i read much more about history than in the past

Yes

Playing Europa Barbarorum improved or altered your understanding of the period 272BC – AD14.
    Improved vastly

Greatest strength- the atmosphere of the game, it really imersses me
    Biggest weakness- being constrained by totalwar engines limitations

more appealing, as it can present fresh perpectives on how the team makes things

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Strongly Increases (5).

I SIGNED THE READ MORE HISTORY AGREEMENT

Yes (1) Everytime I see something that I know is inaccurate, I a film is ruined for me, for example the Atlantis series- the mythology was a mess

I have always had a great deal of interest in this period, but playing EB actually inspires me to get on with my work

Its strength lies in its well researched, attempts at an historical portrayal
    It makes it appealing (4)
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; January 10, 2015 at 05:16 PM.

1.Do you feel that increased historical accuracy detracts from or increases the excitement/enjoyment of such games?

(4)
    Historical accuracy is key, however it is possible to be too historically accurate. We need to remember that we are playing a video game, in this video game I am conquering Europe with the Numidians, not historically accurate at all. We need to let imagination take over a little and not let historical accuracy limit any potential fun.

2.As a result of playing Europa Barbarorum have you developed a greater interest in history, archaeology or the past in general?

This one is tough, the way the question is worded my answer is no. My interest is what led me to EB not the other way around.

3.Would you prefer to see more historical accuracy in other games, or other forms of visual media such as films or television programmes?

To a certain degree, it is always nice to see developers, artists, directors etc. make an effort, but something that prides itself on historical accuracy is never perfect to everyone and there is always much debate about what is accurate or not. Nobody has a time machine so details of the past are really just our best educated guess. In the world of history there is ALOT to debate.

4.Has playing Europa Barbarorum improved or altered your understanding of the period 272BC – AD14.

Absolutely, the game is also an encyclopedia. One could spend hours reading unit cards, building descriptions, faction intros etc. Until you read everything there is too read in the game there is always something to learn.

5.As a game, what is the greatest strength of Europa Barbarorum and what is perhaps its greatest weakness?

The sure beauty of it, the fact that everything has been re worked from the original game. It is far more complex than vanila and is more immersive I beleive.There are still many weakness however. The lack of variety in music gets real old real fast. Sometimes in battles units get into a "whirlpool" that looks more like a choreographed dance number than ancient combat(I notice this when you surround an enemy unit all your men starts to rotate around them). The battles in general just seem off to me, I can't quite put my finger on it.

6.Does the fact that Europa Barbarorum is open to volunteers and fan contributions make its work more appealing or not.

I don't think this makes it anymore or less appealing. I am however very appreciative of the work modders put in, not only for this mod but all mods for all games. It takes alot of time and devotion and while modders often do things for there own reasons, the fact they then share the work for anyone to use is admirable.

, Increases the enjoyment so much that it is one of the basis i seek in gaming experience.

Yes, i was 15 or so when i first started playing Europa Barbarorum 1 and since then my interest in history has risen from indifferent to being the main thing im passionate about.

Yes, enjoyment of films and TV programs surely goes down alot when clear historical errors are present.

It didnt alter, it made my whole understanding of the period.

The greatest strenghth is the historical accuracy poured into the Total War formula, while the greatest weakness is the fact that it is forced into following the exact same Total War formula, without being able to detract from it at all (such as faction/unit/culture/religion limit)

5, Yes
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Commios View Post
    5. Historical accuracy enables immersion. And immersion is everything.

I have always had quite an interest in the subject, which is why I love the game. It may have contributed, but it's kind of a egg or chicken situation for me to name my interest or EB as the main causal factor for the other.

Yes. On the condition that the history channel doesn't make it. A bad documentary, full of factual errors, is worse than no documentary at all. Let the BBC handle it.
    And games as well, of course. Just as long as game makers don't sacrifice accuracy for gameplay, and gameplay for graphics (looking at you CA).

Improved. No doubt about it. While I knew beforehand of the Romans, and Greeks in the period, the many other "barbarian" factions were more fussy to me.

The greatest strength is still immersion. For greatest weakness, I would say the fact that EB is build on an old game engine, and as such have have trouble attracting as many volunteer developers, further pushing back release date and aging the engine. In game presently (for eb II) the greatest weakness is a small unit roster. It will get bigger of course, in due time.

3. No real effect. While I am both in awe and in debt to the people who made these mods, who made them doesn't change my gaming experience. HOWEVER, because all the sources for everything in the game are avilible, and because the forums are full of discussion concerning every little aspect of the game, I know that when I play it, it is well researched, and that adds alot to immersion. So there may be an indirect effect.

All forum users who choose to take part will remain anonymous unless you express your wish to be named in the results:
    I don't mind.

Strongly Increases (5) - As, for me, increased historical accuracy enhances the immersion a game can create. Also it deminishes the chance of being annoyed by unrealistic, stereotyped representation of peoples/states, public sector entities or simply everyday life; as well as improper depiction of e.g. the equipment of ancient soldiers/warriors.

Yes and No. As I've always been interested in 'history, archaeology or the past in general'. Though playing Europa Barbarorum, did indeed make me read up on the Hellenistic period. Not only the Diadochi/Hellenic or Roman/European part, but also esp. on many of the Eastern peoples. Which in turn made me more or less stumble upon the (highly interesting relations between) Indo-European, Turk and Mongolian peoples in Asia; and the expansion of the latter two towards and into Europe.

Yes (1) - The enduring trend of docutainment and clichéd soapopera-history in self-proclaimed 'documentations' on TV is, to me, despicable. I simply can't watch these dumbing-down concoctions anymore, that have to please a certain, predefined audience rating. On the same topic, it's hard for me to enjoy any historic movies or tv-series. Although I can reiterate to myself, that this is not historical accurate and still enjoy the drama/story persented (if it's well-written and displayed by good actors - despite not being historical accurate), knowing that there will be many people, that believe this movie or tv-series is even a (fairly) accurate representation of that time period, bugs me; as they'll get a distorted and often clichéd view of our past.
    EDIT - As for more historical accuracy in other games: Sure. The lack of historical accuracy (along with deceptive marketing, false promises regarding the AI and other major design changes to TW), is what drives me away from the Creative Assembly. As soon as Paradox release a new game alike Crusader Kings for the Hellenistic period, I'll probably say goodbye to CA and Total War for good - my favourite mods as EB exempted, of course.

It has. - As I've read up on that period due to playing Europa Barbarorum, prompted by all the essays and small chunks on history that Europa Barbarorum contains. Which themselves already painted a vivid picture of that time period and it's diverse and complicated makeup.

The greatest strength: The focus on historical accuracy. The immersion EB creates. The detailed and complex AOR, government system and settlement development. The elaborate design of the traits and ancillary system. The focus on slow-paced battles. The beautiful campaign map, unit models and battle environments. The greatest weakness: The lack of a clear destinction between gameplay and historic information in EB's unit and esp. building scrolls. The lack of a strict, universal, uniform structure in EB's unit and esp. building scrolls. The lack of a guide/manual to help with EB's steep learning curve.

It makes it appealing (4) - It's simply nice to see, that a 'bunch of amateurs' (meant as a compliment) are able to create a piece of art, that exceeds many professional games.

PS: Please excuse my insufficient English.

Once again, thank you to everyone who has taken an interest in this modification, and thank you for taking part in this survey and sharing your thoughts. And remember, Quisque est Barbarus Alio.
    Thanks for making this mod!

-----

@Basileos Antiokhos Euergetes
    Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    As a result of playing Europa Barbarorum have you developed a greater interest in history, archaeology or the past in general? I SIGNED THE READ MORE HISTORY AGREEMENT

I nearly forgot about what I had signed up to.
    Last edited by Casual Tactician; January 11, 2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: addition to: Would you prefer to see more historical accuracy in other games, or other forms of visual media such as films...

Strongly Increases (5)

Yes, definitely.

Yes, definitely (1)

Definitely.

Strength: Beautiful units, Weakness: Poor diplomacy

(5) Definitely More Appealing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast