Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A request from Brennus

Default Re: A request from Brennus

Do you feel that increased historical accuracy detracts from or increases the excitement/enjoyment of such games?

Strongly Increases (5).

As a result of playing Europa Barbarorum have you developed a greater interest in history, archaeology or the past in general?

Indeed. My dream to became a History Professor was initiated form my great enjoyment learning form EB.

Would you prefer to see more historical accuracy in other games, or other forms of visual media such as films or television programmes?

Yes (1) Absolutely!

playing Europa Barbarorum improved or altered your understanding of the period 272BC – AD14.
    Defensively improved, or rather sparked my interest in the period.

As a game, what is the greatest strength of Europa Barbarorum and what is perhaps its greatest weakness?

Greatest strength - The research, professionalism and creativity that were put into the mod by the team.
    Greatest weakness - the limitations of the engine and the high degree of time and effort that required to create an excellent work such as EB.

Does the fact that Europa Barbarorum is open to volunteers and fan contributions make its work more appealing or not.
    It makes it strongly appealing (5).

tat00r's Avatar Foederatus

Icon1 Re: A request from Brennus

Do you feel that increased historical accuracy detracts from or increases the excitement/enjoyment of such games?
    Strongly Increases (5) - Helps to immerse yourself in the game and give your actions weight.
    As a result of playing Europa Barbarorum have you developed a greater interest in history, archaeology or the past in general?
    Yes; already had a great interest in the aforementioned fields and have intent to study them further, but EB has helped to augment that and provided an additional medium of study. (a lens through which to view the period, if you will)
    Would you prefer to see more historical accuracy in other games, or other forms of visual media such as films or television programmes?
    Yes (1) - The mainstream portrayal of certain cultures is frustrating to say the least, not to mention Eurocentric; a prime example being the depiction of the Achaemenid Empire alongside the classical Greek poleis. It would certainly help in bringing together disparate cultures and celebrating our joint successes, whilst condemning our past failures.
    Has playing Europa Barbarorum improved or altered your understanding of the period 272BC – AD14?
    Yes; typically any research I have conducted, be it personal or for examination purposes, has covered periods either far preceding or proceeding the aforementioned time. It has been particularly good in shedding light on the 'barbarian' cultures of Europe; be they Germanic, Celtic, indigenous, or otherwise. Also grew to love Armenian history as a result of this, as well as looking further into pre-Islamic Arabia.
    As a game, what is the greatest strength of Europa Barbarorum and what is perhaps its greatest weakness?
    Not sure if you mean as a medium of conveying history, or as a video game itself; as a game is interactive and this provides an excellent stimulus to explore and discover things in a creative manner. A drawback is obviously adapting the history to fit around game mechanics. | If you mean by the standards of a game; the strength would undoubtedly be its commitment to following history, whilst a drawback would be again having to adapt this around sometimes inflexible game mechanics. Also, the inevitable focus on warfare - as a game based around such - can detract from other elements.
    Does the fact that Europa Barbarorum is open to volunteers and fan contributions make its work more appealing or not?
    It makes it strongly appealing (5) - Of course, yes; I think the idea of involving the community is a great idea and that inevitably you will be drawing on a great body of preceding academic work. Ultimately, it is a project built with the work of others, the community, and foremost the team of course; but all are components.

Happy to be named, Thomas.
    Best of luck with the paper, I hope your presentation goes well and that the conference is productive - enjoy!

tat00r's Avatar Foederatus

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by tat00r View Post
    Strongly Increases (5) - Helps to immerse yourself in the game and give your actions weight.
    Yes; already had a great interest in the aforementioned fields and have intent to study them further, but EB has helped to augment that and provided an additional medium of study. (a lens through which to view the period, if you will)
    Yes (1) - The mainstream portrayal of certain cultures is frustrating to say the least, not to mention Eurocentric; a prime example being the depiction of the Achaemenid Empire alongside the classical Greek poleis. It would certainly help in bringing together disparate cultures and celebrating our joint successes, whilst condemning our past failures.
    Has playing Europa Barbarorum improved or altered your understanding of the period 272BC – AD14?
    Yes; typically any research I have conducted, be it personal or for examination purposes, has covered periods either far preceding or proceeding the aforementioned time. It has been particularly good in shedding light on the 'barbarian' cultures of Europe; be they Germanic, Celtic, indigenous, or otherwise. Also grew to love Armenian history as a result of this, as well as looking further into pre-Islamic Arabia.
    Not sure if you mean as a medium of conveying history, or as a video game itself; as a game is interactive and this provides an excellent stimulus to explore and discover things in a creative manner. A drawback is obviously adapting the history to fit around game mechanics. | If you mean by the standards of a game; the strength would undoubtedly be its commitment to following history, whilst a drawback would be again having to adapt this around sometimes inflexible game mechanics. Also, the inevitable focus on warfare - as a game based around such - can detract from other elements.
    Does the fact that Europa Barbarorum is open to volunteers and fan contributions make its work more appealing or not?
    It makes it strongly appealing (5) - Of course, yes; I think the idea of involving the community is a great idea and that inevitably you will be drawing on a great body of preceding academic work. Ultimately, it is a project built with the work of others, the community, and foremost the team of course; but all are components.

Happy to be named, Thomas.
    Best of luck with the paper, I hope your presentation goes well and that the conference is productive - enjoy!

Sorry, not allowed to edit yet; just wanted to add that if there is any way to help with this presentation, be it through donations or research or the like, would be happy to help.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

I just found out that my elaboratly worked post which I posted here about two weeks ago does not apeared for some reasons (probably problems with connection on my side) I quickly answer the question again.

Strongly Increases (5).

Yes, although I have great intest in the past even before I knew about the existence of EB

Yes (1) Absolutely!

playing Europa Barbarorum improved or altered your understanding of the period 272BC – AD14.
    Yes, It altered my understanding a lot, for example I have barely any idea about the existence of some Eb factions like Saka Rauka or helenistic kingdom of Baktria before.

Greatest strength - The research, professionalism and creativity that were put into the mod by the team.
    Greatest weakness - the limitations of the engine and the high degree of time and effort that required to create an excellent work such as EB
    I feel shameful to copy from Agema Ippeons post but I currently could not think of anything more maybe except theat I precieve as the great strenght the determination of the team to represent the period as trustworthy and accurate to the current level of the understanding of the given period as possible.

No real effect (3) for me as a consumer except the repsect and prestige which the creators gain in my eyes for duing it voluntarily

Strongly Increases (5).
    Yes (1).
    Has playing Europa Barbarorum improved or altered your understanding of the period 272BC – AD14.
    It's improved it quite a lot, to be honest. Most of all, the "geopolitical" and cultural situation at the start of the game.
    It's truthfulness versus the same weaknesses that RTW and M2TW came with. Just imagine if R2TW was just as moddable...
    Does the fact that Europa Barbarorum is open to volunteers and fan contributions make its work more appealing or not.
    It makes it strongly appealing (5).

Hi,
    thank you for your work with EB. Im glad if i can help by answering your questions. I find the question of how history can or needs to be presented to a wider audience intriguing, so it's very interesting that games have their part in the conference.
    1. In general, strongly increases (5)
    2. Yes. Interestingly enough, EB has sparked much more inspiration in that regard than the many ever the same mainstream documentaries which always reduce their history to dramatical or simplified stories. I had lost interest in Archaeology, ancient history etc because of the channeled way of how those periods are still being portrayed (as a Brit, consider yourself lucky to have BBC documentaries). EB showed me a glimpse of much more-
    3. Yes. (1), to a certain point. Not every game has to be accurate historically. But the ones who give the claim, should be even more precise. As for tv and film, absolutely!!
    4 Yes. EB has especially created a less roman centered experience and portrayal of the time. This depth is extremely rewarding in game, but also outside - it is a learning experience.
    5. Greatest strength: I think of EB as a "grown up" game which is not afraid to display complexities or diversity instead of simplicity when it comes to the portrayal of the period. Its a great achievement also in a game design perspective (for example through the different cultural settlement/gov. options or the AOR system).
    Weakness: Because of the limitations, battle mechanics are still heavily oriented towards roman or more modern periods (Such as with anachronistic formations for "Barbarian" factions), which does convey a roman-centered portrayal of the era.
    6. (5) yes. EB is like a game and a living history discussion at the same time

Best of luck with the contribution and your professional projects!

Sorry for the late reply but I just came across this...

5 - strongly increases

1 - Yes

Has playing Europa Barbarorum improved or altered your understanding of the period 272BC – AD14.
    1 - Yes

The greatest strength is the historical accuracy, particularly the unit and region descriptions. Half the time I start to play EB I only get through a few turns because I spend so much time reading descriptions then getting so interested I start looking for more information on the web. As such, I might consider this EB's greatest weakness. There is so much information to stop and read there isn't as much time to play the game.

Yes, very much so.

Thank you and the whole team for all the work you do. I don't know how to put into words how much myself and so many others appreciate what you have made here.
    Ever to conquer, never to yield...

Icon14 Re: A request from Brennus

Quote Originally Posted by Commios
    Strongly Detracts (1). Detracts (2). Has no real effect (3). Increases (4). Strongly Increases (5).
    (5) Strongly increases

Yes. EB has been the most elemental force in driving me to study Classics.

Yes (1). No (2). Indifferent (3).
    (1) Yes, absolutely!

Definitely improved.

Strength: Immersion
    Weakness: The vanilla game it's based on; a polished up pac-man

It makes it very unappealing (1). It is not appealing (2). No real effect (3). It makes it appealing (4). It makes it strongly appealing (5).
    (5) Strongly appealing

Once again, thank you to everyone who has taken an interest in this modification, and thank you for taking part in this survey and sharing your thoughts. And remember,

Quisque est Barbarus Alio.

Barbarus sum. Nihil Barbaricus mihi alienum.

Mouzafphaerre

Bernardius's Avatar Decanus
    SACRUM IMPERIUM ROMANUM NATIONES GERMANICAE

Answer: Increases (4).

Answer: Yes (1).

Answer: Yes improved and slightly altered.

Answer: Strength: The research/good historic info, Weakness: The AI/Hardcoded engine of TW

Answer: It makes it strongly appealing (5).

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR DEDICATED WORK AND GOOD LUCK FURTHERMORE!!!
    EB II is finally out! ...NOW!!!...

Laetus

It definitely increases it. It makes the whole game really deep and special. You really feel you are living in that period. (5)

Yes. I've grown more interested in many aspects of life in those times, specially concernig the nomadic (or semi-nomadic) factions, such as Saka Rauka, Pahlava and Sauromatae. The quotes of ancient authors (such as Strabo, Ptolemy and others) and archaeological evidence have moved me to look for more information and to try to be aware of the (academical) discussions and debates about those centuries. And yes, I would love to see more accuracy in games and movies (specially in movies and series, such as "Rome", one of the most admired and accurate historical series of our times).

It has improved it. Before, I had a simplistic idea about the process of roman expansion throughout the Mediterranean and the relationship between Rome and the hellenistic states. In the same way, my knowledge of the problems concerning the eastern fringe of the seleukid empire was actually minimal. I think that what I have learned more about this period is in the field of cultural history, specially in two branches: religious beliefs and practices, and military customs (with their complex and mutual influences between regions); but also in politics (the differential structures of states and societies) and economy (the different production strenghts according to the faction and region).

The mayor strength, for god's sake! It's everything they did in order to make it accurate and deep: military units, political structures, the drawing of provinces (with their beautiful descriptions: Travellers log, Geography, History, Society and Strategy), the huge amount of character names, the languages spoken in battle... even the short sentences of ancient authors which appear in the screen between the battle and campaign map.
    The weakness? Simple, that itsn't still complete. There are regions' descriptions, military units and more lacking. Besides, in EBII I have missed the eastern languages (in battles, Pahlavanig-i-Zrehbaran, shivatir, Daha Baedxhyntae and others never speak, and I would love to hear them). Maybe another nomad faction wouldn't be superflous. Ah! I almost forget it, diplomatic relations are still disappointing (albeit it's a failure of MTWII and not yours).

It's definitely appealing. (5).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123