View Poll Results: How would you like to have the cam feature in Attila TW

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Option 1: Revert to the old state of the cam in Attila (Rome 2 prepatch 14)

6 9.68%
  • Option 2: Keep the current state for the cam in Attila (fadeout)

3 4.84%
  • Option 3: I kindly request CA to implement that toggle to please both preferences, alike Halloween visuals are toggleable, too

44 70.97%
  • Option 4: I don't have a specific opinion.

9 14.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attila and the cam fadeout

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Attila and the cam fadeout

Hi there I know it is still a hot topic for some, so I don't want to boil it up all again.
    Because I think it is a kind of "secondary important" feature I would like to raise your attention about an older discussion thread about Rome 2, created and maintained by megaalexandros, which will or even does also affect Total War: Attila. I am talking about the fadeout of units.

While I try to get a founded information how it is in Attila at the moment, I would like to ask you how you would like to have this feature represented in Total War Attila. If you want to vote for Rome 2, do so in the linked thread.

Your options:

1. Pre-patch 14 it was possible in Rome to get really close-up to units and see them in all their detail, especially when you enjoy modders work you can get from TWC and Steam Workshop. The drawback: Cam was clipping through units and obviously this led to some naturally artifacts.

pro:
    - very tight close-ups possible to see units in full screen at highest Level of Detail

cons:

- naturally leds to clipping

Spoiler for Example, content by megaalexandros

2. With patch 14 CA changed the cam so units will fadeout once you zoom into and the units they will softly fade out.

pro:
    - no clipping

cons:
    - you cannot zoom up to units so close as you were able before
    - reported to be more problematic by some machinima creators
    - debug cam does NOT change this new behaviour

Spoiler for Example, content by megaalexandros

3. The most discussed solution is that CA should include an toggleable option in the game to toggle the cam mode in either way (so clipping or fading), like they did with the Halloween FLC
    I think this Halloween option is quite displaced where it is. It is toggleable only during a battle in the battle options, although it is a graphical thingy and rather belong to graphical settings imho

pro:
    - fits ones demands and preferences

cons:
    - CA needs to make a small update on the game

Please let me know how you think about it and give your favorite solution a vote.
    Last edited by alQamar; January 08, 2015 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Linked Rome 2 pictures but will be possible alike in Attila
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Default Re: Attila and the cam fadeout

I dont care, since i dont watch 1v1 fights, as long as we have debug camera - allowing us to zoom out as much as i want im OK with anything in this respect. The only time i zoom in is if i have doubts which direction some unit is facing
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Fanest View Post
    I dont care, since i dont watch 1v1 fights, as long as we have debug camera - allowing us to zoom out as much as i want im OK with anything in this respect. The only time i zoom in is if i have doubts which direction some unit is facing
    The debug cam does not change the behaviour Fanest. Units will also fade out when using the debug cam. I tested that back then and made a video about it. Thanks for raising this, I forgot to mention it in the cons in the OP.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    The debug cam does not change the behaviour Fanest. Units will also fade out when using the debug cam. I tested that back then and made a video about it. Thanks for raising this, I forgot to mention it in the cons in the OP.

That's my main issue with this feature, if they wanted to have this for the main game cam, i wouldn't have a problem but the fact that they have this for the debug cam without the option to toggle it off is unacceptable period!

They sould make it toggle and let the player choice if they want there units to fade in and out when watching from soldier view. I really dont like that fading feature and hope they add a option to choice from and not how they did it with RTW II release a patch with a new mechanic that nobody asked for and then not even give you to option to turn it on/off.
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Pee_Alot View Post
    They sould make it toggle and let the player choice if they want there units to fade in and out when watching from soldier view. I really dont like that fading feature and hope they add a option to choice from and not how they did it with RTW II release a patch with a new mechanic that nobody asked for and then not even give you to option to turn it on/off.

This is a good point, as I myself can't recall anyone asking for this "clipping" to be "fixed" before it actually was.

Lionheartx10's Avatar Youtube Crazy!

Guys I have good news for you on this matter! From the Preview build of Attila that I've been lucky enough to have a look at, CA have included an option in the graphics settings called 'Proximity Fading'. With this option selected "Units will automatically fade out as the camera gets close to them. This avoids clipping with the camera." However leave it unchecked and you have the same camera as pre patch 14 in Rome II aka no fading and can zoom right into units! I should obviously say this was a preview build so could be subject to change but the option was there so hopefully its there in the final build and hopefully CA adds this into Rome II as well for those that want the option! Here's a screenshot of the graphics settings from my Preview Build:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Lionheartx10; January 08, 2015 at 06:50 PM.
    “To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle.”

http://www.youtube.com/user/lionheartx10

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Great News Lion! Thanks for clearing the issue. However it makes it even more ironic why they are not patching Rome 2. :o

Lionheartx10's Avatar Youtube Crazy!

Great News Lion! Thanks for clearing the issue. However it makes it even more ironic why they are not patching Rome 2. :o
    Yeah, hopefully as I said it gets patched into Rome II with this option in!
    “To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle.”

http://www.youtube.com/user/lionheartx10

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

I thought about how to proceed with this thread and poll now, but I think it would be good to continue it and the voting, just in case that this feature is not subject of the final Attila, unlikely, but it can happen according the disclaimer.
    This or that I still would like to see your opinions and votes coming. Thanks very much for your time everyone!

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

Who doesnt like a toggle.
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

The opening post uses quite the wrong premise for the current system. You an zoom in much more than the picture it provides. Here's an example I just took a minute ago:
    The Armenian Issue

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

option 3 is obvious
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

i have voted the first option in order to emphasize the fact that i hate that fade out thing, but i would certainly be happy with option three.
    Very nice post Alqamar i hope they wont force ghosts on as in Attila also but give as the option to get rid of them
    MACEDONIA ETERNAL GREEK KINGDOM

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

I would be surprised if they take any notice, even though only a tiny proportion supports the current system.
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GussieFinkNottle View Post
    I would be surprised if they take any notice, even though only a tiny proportion supports the current system.
    According to Lionheart, it seems they have taken notice and have added a toggle to Attila
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

=Vastator='s Avatar Senator

I really hope they are not using this trick as an Attila selling point, and patch it on Rome II ASAP (after all, we are waiting since July)...
    Disclaimer: the post above is way way prealpha, the final version will be way better than this.

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    According to Lionheart, it seems they have taken notice and have added a toggle to Attila
    That's great (I am surprised! and embarrassed to be shown not to have read the whole thread). It would appear that they are actually trying hard to respond to criticism and suggestions this time, which is fantastic. They changed the religion names at the community's request, made the Sutton Hoo helmet for generals only rather than across a unit, and included Hadrian's and other walls. Fingers crossed this game will be highly polished and well received.

-Still not preordering though-
    I'll wait to see the release reviews and responses.
    Last edited by GussieFinkNottle; January 09, 2015 at 10:38 AM.
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheartx10 View Post
    Guys I have good news for you on this matter! From the Preview build of Attila that I've been lucky enough to have a look at, CA have included an option in the graphics settings called 'Proximity Fading'. With this option selected "Units will automatically fade out as the camera gets close to them. This avoids clipping with the camera." However leave it unchecked and you have the same camera as pre patch 14 in Rome II aka no fading and can zoom right into units! I should obviously say this was a preview build so could be subject to change but the option was there so hopefully its there in the final build and hopefully CA adds this into Rome II as well for those that want the option! Here's a screenshot of the graphics settings from my Preview Build:

Wow, that's great news. Thanks for letting us know :-)

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    all praise the option 3.
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast