Thread: TWC community survey and its outcome for TW: Attila

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Icon3 TWC community survey and its outcome for TW: Attila

Dear TWC members,

even though I never received any official reply or PM or anything from CA I am still fine with it. Our survey wasn't endorsed by CA and this is possibly the most likely reason why we got no note.

I am fine with that because the reason, that the majority of criticsm and praise which each of you will also find in the unofficial world-wide Total War survey results has been taken quite seriously and we can all see this in consequence for Attila. If anyone has missed the TW survey, please check the results in my signature, aside other hopefully interesting topics.

So at the moment I do think that the survey wasn't completely useless. Even it would be ridicilous to link it to changes in Attila, which I clearly refrain from doing - it helps to understand that CA seem react on the opinions of players they shared in many postings and threads and in the least consequence also in the survey.

Based on the 40 turns demo the TW Youtubers got and their first experiences they published some hours ago, this game seems to heal wounds. This sounds good, while in the first place it becomes even more unlikely that features will be added to Rome 2. Not to blame CA for that because CraigTW said back in 2013 no major features will be added in Rome 2. The Emperor Edition was a clear exception to that rule.
    I am sad about that course they have chosen in this regard.

On the other hand I am very happy that CA, very likely more based on lasting feedback on forums, rather than fastly reacting to our survey, included a lot of features into Attila people asked for.

Based on what I have seen on Youtube they added a lot of immersion and changed literally "everything" we had to complain about in Rome 2. Take the word everything with a grain of salt please. I am still sure there will be old issues we know since Empire because it is only an improved engine.

Also like DarrenTW said, the multiplayer part will not see an overhaul. So don't think about an avatar campaign in place.

Still, I am looking forward to Attila and will share my zero day experience on TWC for sure. I avoid to argue about it before release, so this is why you rarely see me discussing here in this subforum.
    I don't have a firm reason to entirely recommend, not to recommend, or hype it though. I am relaxed and awaiting to get my Steam code.

yours,
    al Qamar
    Last edited by alQamar; January 07, 2015 at 12:11 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Default Re: TWC community survey and its outcome for TW: Attila

it's about time CA listens us
    CA it's in the path of reedeming herself from rome 2
    i just hope that they improve on attila and not slash these features in future games only to be added 50 years later branded like new features
    thank you for making the survey
    Last edited by anonimo272; January 07, 2015 at 12:24 PM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

It's about time for what? You're welcome, glad you enjoyed and appreciate the survey.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

sorry didn't completed the sentence
    it's about time CA listens to us

CA does listen to the community a lot of features that have been asked for have been implemented in game over the years, just they have made some mistakes especially with taking out features the community liked that's an all to common occurrence but I don't think there is any malice in it just mistakes.
    Support Totalwar Youtubers:
    Jackiefish commentary my Quarter final match tosa cup*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcr52zUAoTo
    Showing Pointman a 2v3 Tactic: He does well and carries it out to perfection first time*..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBrfDUr8f6M&feature=plcp
    Aggony Clan 1v1 Tournament match: Multiple casters check description for their youtube channels*:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHoz8nS7ulY

Good post, alQamar. Yes, from the look of things CA have really outdone themselves in terms of listening to community feedback, introducing/reintroducing features people have asked for... and then pushing the boat out by adding a whole load more.

Truly we should count ourselves fortunate that we are fans of a developer that knows when a change of direction is needed.. and factors in community concerns when it does just that.

There are obviously a lot of factors at work, but it's nice to think that the surveys have helped CA assess the problem areas and prioritize what aspects of the game need to be worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Crackus View Post
    and then pushing the boat out by adding a whole load more.
    Define "load more"

Either by mistake or by malice, they clearly mostly cut back features then re-implemented them (modified or not). From Rome 2 to Attila the wound is still open, we will see if they "mistake" again in the title after Attila... if yes I fear that this "reboot" tactic will be exploited again.

Quote Originally Posted by Butan View Post
    Define "load more"

Either by mistake or by malice, they clearly mostly cut back features then re-implemented them (modified or not). From Rome 2 to Attila the wound is still open, we will see if they "mistake" again in the title after Attila... if yes I fear that this "reboot" tactic will be exploited again.

Maybe a tall claim, though this list reads pretty well if you ask me

Re the cut back features, I'm personally of the mind that they deserve the benefit of the doubt on this one - a deadly cocktail of bad management, pressure from publishers and a lack of coherent vision for design - rather than the churlish withholding of features for future gain. I will be on the lookout for the latter after Atilla, though, and if there's any sign that this is a regular tactic they are employing then it's probably time for a divorce!

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Butan View Post
    Define "load more"

yes this will be really interesting to look forward and focus on in the future. I really hope they don't walk the path of Microsoft where an unscribed law says only every iteration of Windows is a really good one and the first is quite a beta. This is not even a myth but really evident throughout the Windows history.