Thread: CTD before battles in Mod (apparently faction + climates related)

Knutr inn Riki's Avatar Foederatus

Icon5 CTD before battles in Mod (apparently faction + climates related)

Greetings people,

I am modding "The Last Kingdom" and I am recently stuck with a certain ctd that constantly occurs in campaign while loading a battle map. I've never come across anybody having that particular problem before with this mod, so I reckon the tlk subforum won't be the adequate place to post it and moreover, it has never occured to me in the original version of the mod (+ submod) I am using.

It will only come up in summer turns (1)
    in certain areas of climate (everything that's temperate basically - I have not checked tropical/desert climates, but mediterranean climate prevents it (2)
    when I would try to storm a settlement (3)
    of certain factions (4) (which all belong to one and the same 'culture' (greece/celtic in this case, yet I am almost sure that the game even uses the same bm models for the in-game settlements as for the other cultures/factions in this mod)). There occasionally happens to be another little problem, when the colouring appears to be distorted in the bm environment (bright-red surrounding land along the horizon and blue/greenish dyed battle ground...looks quite apocalyptic ^^) but apparently it's harmless (map_gt is alright there too) and I cannot find any relation to the summer-seige-battle thing.
    I basically replaced all my changes with original tLK files, so there are only those ones left that are necessary to run my own campaign map. Still it looks like something coding-related, I just can't figure out what is exactly causing the error (edb is original and clean as I can see). Looks quite nasty...any ideas?

Thank you, cheers!

___
    These are the logs. I can't find anything in them though...
    http://www.file-upload.net/download-...-logs.zip.html (It won't let me attach files for some reason, so I hope the link is alright)
    Last edited by Knutr inn Riki; January 05, 2015 at 05:18 PM.

«Maiori forsan cum timore sententiam in me fertis quam ego accipiam»
    - Giordano Bruno

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: CTD before battles in Mod (apparently faction + climates related)

The log closes with processing the battle building textures and there is a seven seconds gap before the crash - that's not encouraging. Looks like Wales is being attacked, the SE settlement used is the vanilla one so I don't expect any problems there, I just don't have an idea why it is looping through some texture searches more then usual (keeping variants in mind).

My suggestion would be to try and run battles without custom textures for the buildings. If memory serves right there were not any custom named building textures, so running the battle with 'vanilla' textures could give an idea if the fault lies there.

Silly question, but I rather have that ticked off: have you experienced similar issue like this with other mods? That could point towards hard ware issues.
    Last edited by Gigantus; January 09, 2015 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks a lot for the reply, gigantus, you really keep the things running here!

Luckily I got it working again , although I am still not entirely sure if its a hardware graphic issue or a matter of corrupted paths or the like.
    In order to save hard drive space on my computer I keep the unpacked vanilla version on an external device (therefore the last question really is not silly at all, I think the computer I am using right now is about 8 or 9 years old including most of the hard ware, hehe).. thus most conveniently, I just chose to copy those texture files directly into the modfolder/data/blockset/... folder and daft enough it actually works now. ^^
    To exclude the texture files I would have needed to interrupt the M2TW/data/blockset/textures path (with unpacked data) right?

However, I stumbled across the weird colouring thing again, I mentioned in the first posting (I just tested about 12 or so seige battles and this came up twice)...might that indicate a graphic hw related problem?

Cheers

- Giordano Bruno

Blog Entries

The picture looks familiar - especially the black radar map is telling (never mind the massive amount of contour lines): the battle must be taking place at a very elevated height. If so then it's a graphical glitch caused by the game engine.

You can test that by simply changing the RGB value of the spot on the map_heights (TGA) graphic. Delete map.rwm after doing so to generate a new map.

Mh, I reran that particular battle and it came up cleanly. Its not too elevated either (at least there are quite more elevated settlements on the map, which I have tested) - I even scaled up the place to a large city and it worked. But this kind of colour distortion would generally mean, that the game mechanics are sort of overstrained?

- Giordano Bruno

Blog Entries

That is my impression, if you look closely the only part that isn't discolored is the sky (which is one single texture). The rest is composed of so many texture elements that at least the odd part would show up normal if the problem was related to a texture mess up.

Mhm, makes sense. If in the end everybody with a proper system can get it going, it's not a big deal anyway.
    Cheers

- Giordano Bruno

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service