Thread: Naval battles?

Default Naval battles?

Almost a month before the release, and i haven't heard a single thing concerning naval combat, except that it will not feature so much ramming (maybe none), and it's going to be more about boarding and missiles.

Is there any word about the bugs and the totally inexplicable features that existed?

For example in Rome, if two ships boarded a third, you couldn't do anything to help the 2vs1 situation, only use missiles. Have they thought about making possible a big chain of boarding, where unlimited boardings could occur? I really think it's at least idiotic when two enemy ships board one of mine, and i can't order my ships to go help with the fighting.

They are awfully secretive, or have i missed something?

Default Re: Naval battles?

I think it's better that It will be more about boarding and missiles. I don't like naval battles but maybe that will be good like two teams separated by sea firing missiles
    and when boarding fighting with swords. Ramming was in my opinion too much when rams it takes time this is better this shows how the enemy is strong not their work (ship...),
    true battle is chest to chest. I think that the team keeps secretly, gathers small information of fans and improves the game.

:sparta:

Yep, i agree about ramming, plus it's not that accurate historically for 400 AD naval warfare.

I was mainly worrying about the bugs and the stupid features, like the one i analyzed in my first post. That's what frightens me for the whole game: that people in CA don't want to correct some features-headache because it will be too much work.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lion from the North View Post
    I think that the team keeps secretly, gathers small information of fans and improves the game.
    You are really an optimist. I hope it's true!!

I have to admit, I did not like the naval aspect of Rome II that much. I found the naval battles in Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2 to be better - especially the ones in Fall of the Samurai. Luckily this is a period that is devoid of big naval engagements. The Mediterranean was in the control of the Roman navy at the time, and most barbarian peoples lacked the technology and funds to launch navies of their own. Perhaps towards the very end of the period you had the Vandals disrupting the area severely with sea raids - especially the time they sacked Rome under Gaiseric in AD 455, but I think that's slightly beyond Attila's timeframe. Most of the time the Romany navy just patrolled the seas across the Eastern coast of Britain against Saxons, or up the Rhine or Danube rivers.

Also, as mentioned earlier - the Roman ships of the time were a bit different to those used at the time of Marcus Agrippa and the Battle of Actium in 31 BC. Here's a modern reconstruction of one such warship from the period -
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Doe3000; January 04, 2015 at 10:40 AM.

Well, I don't think the naval battles can get any worse than they were in Rome 2. From my reading it seems that naval battles in this time period were about using "spurs" to rake the enemies' oars. Hopefully that is a mechanic in the game.