Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: No Peace in Our Time - the 1939 World War II IH

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: No Peace in Our Time - the 1939 World War II IH

Barry's elected to randomize the claims and assign nations to people, rather than just outright claiming a nation. We choose our top picks of majors and minors.
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Thanks Fred! In that case, I guess I'll go with this (no particular order):

Majors: USA, France, Britain, Italy
    Minors: Finland, Romania, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Turkey, Portugal, and Poland (probably suicide but w/e, it'll be fun)
    Last edited by Dan the Man; January 05, 2015 at 05:27 PM.
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Gorgeous work Dan I've also added your claims to the list on the front page. Unfortunately, I too must spread rep around before I can rep you. Would you also be willing to do the econ & oil maps, btw?

@Everyone I'll have the Random Dice God settle everyone's claims by Thursday. In the meantime, get the word out if you can! Invite your friends to try their hand at this game, even if they've never played an IH before. New blood is always welcome in IH, and there will still be plenty of positions to fill (the majors have been pretty well covered, but there are always going to be plenty of minors to fill in, plus we could use a greater pool of backup players in case a major's player goes dark).

Content Emeritus

I thought the economic aspects of the game were going to be kept to a minimum in favor of the military portions?

^They already pretty much are, I'm reusing the IH rules that we've been using since we dropped % economies in 2010-1. The only addition is oil again and even that's not new, I lifted the rules almost totally word for word from the RB '36 faction game since not only is it important to a modern army but without it, stuff like the Japanese oil embargo can't happen & the likes of the Nazis would have no reason to target oil-rich provs ahead of other strategic/propaganda targets like Stalingrad.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Records are to inconsistent to obtain a good count of available forces due to some troops being listed as active and actually not mobilizing for months, aircraft that is circa WW1 still being is some units and navies that were beyond antiquated. but due a few source books that I have I was able to obtain this data.

Naval Strength

---------------------------Aircraft Carriers Battleships Cruiser Destroyer Submarine
    France ---------------------1 --------------------7----------19 -------70 --------7
    Germany --------------------------------------- 5 -----------8 --------22 -------57
    Italy--------------------------------------------- 2 ----------19 --------50 -------107
    UK --------------------------7 -------------------15 ---------61 -------113 -------60
    Commonwealth --------------------------------- -------------5---------11-----------
    USA -------------------------5 -------------------15 ---------36 -------127 -------58
    USSR - --------------------------------------------2-----------2---------21---------52
    Japan------------------------6 --------------------10---------33--------99---------63
    China ----------------------------------------------------------2-----------------------
    Last edited by chesser2538; January 05, 2015 at 08:04 PM.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Beautiful map. Just beautiful.

Major: Japan, Italy, Great Britain
    Minor: Spain, Sweden, Romania, Netherlands, Canada, Australia

cfmonkey45's Avatar Praeses

I'll sign up. If there are any services you would like me to perform (i.e. using NA maps, or spreadsheets), just let me know. Also, it might be more prudent to accelerate the time frame to January of 1942. That way, historical forebearance will not be an issue, as all major nations are already in play. The US would have just suffered the surprise attack of Pearl Harbor, and the Wehrmacht would be outside the Gates of Moscow, with the Red Army plotting a counterstrike. US troops would also be inbound to North Africa.

Majors: USSR, Germany, USA
    Minors: Spain, Nationalist China, Finland, Turkey

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Since we now have more players than we have major nations I'd like to suggest that anyone who ends up without a major gets priority in their minor picks. In reference to CF's suggestion that we push the start date to 1942 I'll reiterate my support of a 1939 start.

Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere but is everyone playing as more than one nation?

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    ^They already pretty much are, I'm reusing the IH rules that we've been using since we dropped % economies in 2010-1. The only addition is oil again and even that's not new, I lifted the rules almost totally word for word from the RB '36 faction game since not only is it important to a modern army but without it, stuff like the Japanese oil embargo can't happen & the likes of the Nazis would have no reason to target oil-rich provs ahead of other strategic/propaganda targets like Stalingrad.
    Verstanden. If you could, send me a PM with what you want to see in the map, as per our usual arrangement, and I'll have it to you as soon as I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by rathertallhat View Post
    Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere but is everyone playing as more than one nation?
    Welcome back RTH! Great to see you!

And yes, people are being allowed to play as more than one country.

Thanks Dan, in that case ill go ahead and change since Brazil and Colombia may be conflicting interests
    Majors: France, Republic of China, UK
    Minors: Brazil, Iran, South Africa, Siam

Content Emeritus

Oil map is done, to the best of my ability. Victoria II's province map does not translate very well to the one we're working with.

http://i.imgur.com/FSggbHO.png

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

S'all about the oil, boys.

Thanks Dan. I believe certain countries should also be able to leech oil off of others that aren't necessarily their puppets either right from the start, or soon after: ex. America from Saudi Arabia through California-Saudi Arabia Standard Oil or Britain from Iran through APOC, plus any other 1939 examples you guys can think of (I know Germany also made use of Romanian oil, but that wasn't done through corporations IIRC, they basically just straight up demanded the oil from Romania after it joined the Axis). Naturally the host countries can still nationalize the oil megacorps/terminate the agreement with the greater power and thus terminate the oil leeching if sufficiently aggravated, at the obvious risk of a war or foreign-backed coup.

@Perry Yep, in case all the majors are taken you will have priority in your selection of minors.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; January 06, 2015 at 06:24 PM.

cfmonkey45's Avatar Praeses

The Central Coast of California should also have oil deposits. Most of Japan's oil prior to 1941 came from the West Coast, specifically from the area around San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, and Los Angeles Counties.

EDIT: You also missed my claims.

Barry, I'd like to change my claims a bit if you don't mind.
    Major: Italy, Japan, France
    Minors: Spain, Iraq, Turkey, Argentina
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; January 06, 2015 at 11:15 PM.

@CF Sorry, thought I had added you before RTH, added now. Though the Chinese Nationalists (ROC) qualify as a major faction, btw.

@Perry Kk, I've revised your claims.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by cfmonkey45 View Post
    The Central Coast of California should also have oil deposits. Most of Japan's oil prior to 1941 came from the West Coast, specifically from the area around San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, and Los Angeles Counties.

EDIT: You also missed my claims.
    Can do, but I need to know approximately what volume was produced. Check the front page of the thread for the map key.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    @Perry Kk, I've revised your claims.
    Thanks a bunch, Barry!

@Dan Good work on both of the maps! I'd rep you but I got to spread the love apparently, same with you Barry.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; January 07, 2015 at 12:05 PM.