Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Feedback: Elves

Default Re: Feedback: Elves

I would have thought they would be more inline with gondor bowmen, probably need to be better than the gondor bowmen as they could be your only recruitable archer if you switch to cultic troops.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Thinking of how Legolas was walking on the snow at Redhorn Gate, I was wondering whether the light Elven troops shouldn't have a combat bonus in snow, too.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Thinking of how Legolas was walking on the snow at Redhorn Gate, I was wondering whether the light Elven troops shouldn't have a combat bonus in snow, too.
    Like the elven ships.
    Its snow every second turn up north could be too much of bonus for already strong melee units.
    You are right though, in the books Tolkien is very clear on how the climate didn't effect legolas anywhere near as much as the rest.
    Last edited by insolent1; January 13, 2015 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by webba84 View Post

170 seems quite far for the Dark Bows who iirc arent even longbow troops and shouldnt be very good (the cult not being particularly interested in ranged warfare). Will check it out.

Hm, in my limited playtime Dark Bows were both very hated and very numerous enemy (Adunabar fields them in large numbers both in north and south). Both deadly and very long ranged, they seemed comparable to Royal Longbowmen but have more men. Frankly as RK I was envious of them, they seemed to outmatch my longbowmen.
    Last edited by Stark1; January 13, 2015 at 05:00 PM.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Currently Dark Bows have the same longbow as King's/Royal Longbowmen. They use an inferior arrow that gives -2 less attack, though it's lighter so goes 5 meters farther... maybe we will review their weapon here. Thanks for pointing this out.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Their unit responses could sound a bit more elfish, the ones currently used sound too rough for Elfs whom speak like they are whispering.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Unless you have a very elvish sounding voice actor willing to donate a lot of time, there isnt much we can do about that.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Well, I've heard the rumor that once upon a time somebody did Sindar voices, at least, so I was told.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

And did them very well too, I think.

Question, where are the files for unit responses located at? I want to try edit them a bit with Audicity.

[you local path]\Rome Total War Gold\BI\fatw\data\sounds\Voice\Human\Localized\Battle_Map

Any polishing up of audio files appreciated, though they should've all been edited (noise removal, etc.) already inasmuch as the submitted original files allowed.

I recently started playing the mod and currently, my elvish campaign has gone very well, probably because I am so aggressive on the campaign and unorthodox on the battle map (I play super-aggressively with my general's bodyguard and mother hen with the rest of my units, that way I keep casualties to a minimum and usually restricted to the general's bodyguard). I have conquered all the lands surrounding lorien and have blitzed Adűnabâr for Rivendell, taking all the rebel territories in between on my way. Tharbad keep attacking threeway, which is my main source of income and as I only recently managed to pay of my debts my forces are spread quite thin, some cities being completely unprotected. As the elves it is less a question of "winning" as much as winning with as few losses as possible. There are some things that need tweaking however:

All enemies fight to the death when you play as the elves because they do not truly appreciate how outclassed they are simply because there are so few in each of my units (and most units also have too high a morale). some fear effect should remedy this (this is easily justfied because who would want to fight the elves?). Their archers, despite supposedly being the key to their victory, are too... not weak but they have too little an effect simply because of their low numbers, there is only so much a limited number of arrows can do. You should give them higher ammunition and lower the melee valuse of all the elves (because currently they slaughter all possible enemies, including the ones of the highest tiers). Also, while I don't know if there is anything you can do about it, the bodyguards are way too good simply because of their ability to replenish so easily. Is it possibly you can lower their unit size or something?

Good mod though, especially as a beta.

Lowering melee values would weaken them in autocalc, IIRC it is suspected that range damage takes no or very little in autocalc battle resolution. Aradan would probably know more about this.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Yeah, but who does autocalc? And until now I've never seen the AI Elves being attacked.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Assaulting Annuminas cost me my King and his unit and 2 full units of lindon guards burnt in 3 seperate towers while waiting to disembark, the other 2 towers never even made to the walls and the lindon guards pushing them took heavy losses, a unit of elvellyn hunters wiped out while trying to push the ram and the unit that replaced them decimated while moving a short distance before the ram was torched.
    There where 4 units of RK eriador archers in the town and none on the walls.

I would say the defensive towers where a bit over the top but its the lack of any siege engines for elves thats the real problem.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Yeah, but who does autocalc? And until now I've never seen the AI Elves being attacked.
    AI vs. AI; and they do get attacked.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Quote Originally Posted by insolent1 View Post
    I would say the defensive towers where a bit over the top but its the lack of any siege engines for elves thats the real problem.
    I believe the wall defenses have been somewhat toned down from previous builds. However, they need to be powerful in order to simulate the difficulties of being the assaulting force in a siege.

Recruitable siege engines were never in the works for Elves (or many other factions). Only the Dwarves and Dunedain (and Harondor, with its Dunedanic influences) get access to such gear.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    I believe the wall defenses have been somewhat toned down from previous builds. However, they need to be powerful in order to simulate the difficulties of being the assaulting force in a siege.

Recruitable siege engines were never in the works for Elves (or many other factions). Only the Dwarves and Dunedain (and Harondor, with its Dunedanic influences) get access to such gear.
    Not Dale?

Dale and Tharbad can get ballistas.

Quote Originally Posted by insolent1 View Post
    Assaulting Annuminas cost me my King and his unit and 2 full units of lindon guards burnt in 3 seperate towers while waiting to disembark, the other 2 towers never even made to the walls and the lindon guards pushing them took heavy losses, a unit of elvellyn hunters wiped out while trying to push the ram and the unit that replaced them decimated while moving a short distance before the ram was torched.
    There where 4 units of RK eriador archers in the town and none on the walls.

While Elves have no siege engines, they have some of the best spies in the mod. A group of nine or less Elven spies should open the gates in any settlement. Also, try to hire mercenaries whenever you can to man siege equipment and avoid losing Elves to tower arrows.