Thread: Preventing Software from trying to install itself

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Default Preventing Software from trying to install itself

Recently for some reason Free Studio decided it wanted to be downloaded again - maybe a software update.

I have a Windows 7 64 bit OS - all software is up-to-date.

I used the custom install and elected to not install the optional components. However, even though I had what I wanted the install runs whenever I boot up and several times a day trying to install the components again. This happens if I have one of the products installed or none of them. At times it shows two components and other times it has up to eight components trying to install.

I've used the Windows Control Panel and Revo Uninstall but as the component is not installed.

How do I prevent this product trying to install itself on a regular basis? Is there some entry in one of the windows ini files?

The current state is that none of the software is installed yet it troes to install itself at boot and several times during the day (sometimes only two installs and other tiimes around eight installs). When this happens when I'm online in a gaming session it's annoying to say the least.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Preventing Software from trying to install itself

Does it show in the Startup tab in System Config?
    Have you checked its registry settings with regedit?

Maybe a wild goose chase but possibly a place to start.

Citizen

Where is the system config folder?

I actaully let the thing install and then did a reboot - it tried to install itself twice more on startup.... Grrrrrrr

Edited: I looked in various folders such as Windows\Temp and there is a bit of crap in there.

Also - folders such as '...\Appdata\Local\Temp' and they also have a lot of crap in them. I remember back in the Windows 3.1 days that anyhting in a Temp folder was fiar game for deletion. Is that still the case with Windows 7?
    Last edited by Brusilov; December 31, 2014 at 12:04 PM.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    Where is the system config folder?
    In the box above the Start button I type system configuration and get the old MSConfig box, just renamed for whatever Steve Ballmer reason. In its tab to the left of the Startup one is where I have Steam's startup disabled.

I actaully let the thing install and then did a reboot - it tried to install itself twice more on startup.... Grrrrrrr

Edited: I looked in various folders such as Windows\Temp and there is a bit of crap in there.

Also - folders such as '...\Appdata\Local\Temp' and they also have a lot of crap in them. I remember back in the Windows 3.1 days that anyhting in a Temp folder was fiar game for deletion. Is that still the case with Windows 7?
    I delete its contents or at least what I can. I have a coupe of programs that love it for other reasons, too.

There is also a Temp folder in the Windows folder that seems to collect unneeded things, too.

Citizen

Ah, if you mentioned msconfig I would have known what you were referring to as I had to remember what I used to run the other day when this problem started to happen!

I looked through the startup tab the other day and there wasn't anything in there that I did not want there. I used to ckeck that on a regular basis but for whaterver reason I've stopped doing that.

I had a look through the Services tab and there seemed to be quite a few servies for DVD protection in there - also some other bits. I'm quite sure it's safe to stop them as the only effect is that service would have to be started by Windows.

I'll take a backup of the various temp folders, delete the contents and do a reboot and see what happens.

I'm currently running a full virus scan - I usually have daily quickscans to pick up what gets added.

Thanks for the advice!

You're welcome.

Citizen

I was looking at the task scheduler as the AVG Tune Up Utilities found some dubious enties in there when it was checking.

When the PC boots up and Windows starts I still get at least two installers run. There does not appear to be naything in the msconfig or task scheduler and the control panel for add/remove programs does not have anything in it that looks wrong.

I presume that once the installer starts to run there may be an entry in the Task Manager - I'll have a look in there later on today (it's 1:46AM here in the UK).

Happy New Year and happy checking when it's daylight.

Citizen

The usual thing - want to try and sort it out.....

I ran Task Manager when the two installers started and right mouse clicked one of the tasks and selected 'go to process'. This then shows that the image that is running is something like 'Simon.tmp':
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I then did a search for these and found entries in c:\users\"windows account"\AppData\LocalTemp and c:\windows\prefetch

I deleted these files but there was a netlogger.exe which could not be deleted.

I then did a safe boot and got rid of all the files I could.

However, when I booted again the two installers start again.

I've also found that there is a file called 'Simon' in the c:\users folder that also appears to be associated with this software.

I've now deleted the entire contents of the c:\windows\prefetch folder as it appears that Windows maintains this folder with the maximum number of 128 entries.

I must say that I'm less than impressed with some of the crap that is on my PC. The 'C' Folder - I dread to think what all the files with what appears to be serial numbers is.....

The C:\Windows folder

Edited: After that clear up I rebooted the machine and the software did not try and install itself. I'll update this thread at some later stage to confirm that this has been fixed or not.
    Last edited by Brusilov; December 31, 2014 at 09:36 PM.

Your Simon maybe a scripter. https://github.com/evennia/evennia/issues/597

Edit: Is he the author of the program you were installing or at least its installer?
    Last edited by irishron; January 01, 2015 at 05:57 AM. Reason: TMI

Citizen

The 'Simon' is me and it's the first part of the Windows account name that I use.

I can only presume if it was you that had the software and your account name was 'IrishRon' then that file would have been called 'Irish' or 'IrishRon'.

Very true. My apologies.

Citizen

No problems!

Happy New Year to you to.

I'm quite happy that I appear to have resolved this problem - a number of times the installers kicked in during the day while I was playing an on-line game. Needless to say that was very annoying.

Libertus

Addendum: I had exactly the same issue with FreeStudio as the OP. On my system (Win7 64), however, the latest Nvidia GeForce Experience seemed to trigger the DVDVideoSoft installer continuously.
    Uninstalling GeForce Experience did the trick for me.

Citizen

I still have GeForce experience on my PC and that does not trigger anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    The usual thing - want to try and sort it out.....

I ran Task Manager when the two installers started and right mouse clicked one of the tasks and selected 'go to process'. This then shows that the image that is running is something like 'Simon.tmp':

I then did a search for these and found entries in c:\users\"windows account"\AppData\LocalTemp and c:\windows\prefetch

I deleted these files but there was a netlogger.exe which could not be deleted.

I then did a safe boot and got rid of all the files I could.

However, when I booted again the two installers start again.

I've also found that there is a file called 'Simon' in the c:\users folder that also appears to be associated with this software.

I've now deleted the entire contents of the c:\windows\prefetch folder as it appears that Windows maintains this folder with the maximum number of 128 entries.

I must say that I'm less than impressed with some of the crap that is on my PC. The 'C' Folder - I dread to think what all the files with what appears to be serial numbers is.....

The C:\Windows folder

Edited: After that clear up I rebooted the machine and the software did not try and install itself. I'll update this thread at some later stage to confirm that this has been fixed or not.
    I had the same issue yesterday, and i found the files that open the installer everytime i start my computer.

Go to:
    C:\Users\Grisje Poppe\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\ApplicationOntology

Delete the files:
    OAWrapper.exe
    NvOAWrapperCache.exe

Worked for me!
    Hope it works.

Hi, i have this issue, i have done the non safe mode methods you have shown here, what do i need to do in safe mode to help fix this issue? It seems to only take over my install of spotify as when i go to open spotify i get spammed with this installation

thanks