Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142

Thread: [MOD] Hispania in the Middle Ages - (Updated 09.12.2017)

Default Re: [MOD] Hispania in the Middle Ages - (Updated 09.12.2017)

Hello,

I'm a newb and I've downloaded the files but when I try to run the first one, I get this error message: "The file contains invalid data". I'm not sure why. Any help would be appreciated.

Jinete_de_España's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jodeci23 View Post
    Hello,

I'm a newb and I've downloaded the files but when I try to run the first one, I get this error message: "The file contains invalid data". I'm not sure why. Any help would be appreciated.
    Have you already used other MODs? and if you have, do they work properly ?

By far the most detailed mod concerning the Reconquista, but i cannot help but to notice that western Iberia (Especially Portugal) seems to be far too neglected in comparison to North-Eastern Iberia and Southern France.

Currently there are 11 provinces in Portugal in comparison with a whopping 22 in the Crown of Aragon, despite the fact that these two realms were of relatively identical size and Portugal was even more densely populated. In fact, Northern Portugal in particular had the highest population density in all of Iberia, and here they are a mere 2 provinces, literally as much as the tiny and no offense but, irrelevant, county of Urgell.

I'm going to present 3 arguments as to why Portugal should have a higher province density:
    -Representation
    -Gameplay
    -Balance

Representation:

Castille Area:355K Population:4.2M Provinces:52
    15 Provinces per 100Sqkm 12 Provinces per M population

Aragon Area: 110K Population: 0.85M Provinces: 22
    20 Provinces per 100Sqkm26 Provinces per Mpopulation
    Portugal Area: 90K Population:1.2M Provinces: 11
    12 Provinces per 100Sqkm 9 Provinces per Mpopulation

Navarra: Area: 12K Population: 0.12M Provinces 2
    17 Provinces per 100Sqkm 17 Provinces per Mpopulation

Granada Area: 12K Population: 0.3M Provinces 5
    17 Provinces per 100Sqkm 17 Provinces per Mpopulation

It is undeniable that Portugal is very underrepresented both in relation to Area and Population.
    Thus I would propose the following additions:
    https://ibb.co/KN8209g
    Which would make Portugal roughly pair with Aragon (As it should IMO)

Gameplay:
    The game is supposed to represent the efforts of the Reconquista, and while Castile and Aragon have ~50/~20 historical provinces to conquer, Portugal has a mere 9. This makes an (historical) Portuguese playthrough incredibly shorter and less flavourful than Castile's or Aragon's. My proposed map would give Portugal ~20 historical provinces to expand to, this would be exactly as many as Aragon has, which would make sense since these two realms finished their respective reconquista at a very similar time (Denia in 1245 and Faro 1250) at Castile took longer but they also have more provinces to conquer than both these realms combined so it's okay, this would be an optimal portrayal of the Reconquista.
    Not only that, but Portugal would be able to fulfill its short Victory Conditions by conquering only the regions they historically did in Iberia and North Africa, meaning that it would be an absolutely perfect historical gameplay.

Balance:
    By the time of the last startdate, Castile has 5 times the provinces of Portugal, this is an insurmountable and absurd advantage, Castile can steamroll Portugal in a couple of turns, it's not even a challenge.
    And yet, we both know that in real life Castile was completely unable to subdue Portugal in any of dozens of conflicts between these two kingdoms throught the entire middle ages. I'm not arguing they should be equal, clearly Castille was clearly the most powerful kingdom in the Peninsula, but Portugal was no pushover, it was able to put up a significant competition.
    My proposition would see Castile with 2.5 times the provinces of Portugal. Significant but reasonable.

A unified Spain right now would dwarf Portugal by nearly 7 times, this is completely unjustifiable at any point in history using any metric concievable. My suggestion would reduce that difference to about 3.5 times, which seems reasonable since it was exactly the difference in Population between the two countries throught the 15th and 16th centuries.

If adding more provinces is impossible due to engine limitations, then perhaps would it be possible to remove some provinces from Aragon or Pyrenees area? If 5-6 provinces were removed from Aragon and added to Portugal both these realms would become roughly as strong as eachother and more similar to the Iberian average as far as representation is concerned.

@Cosso: In Portugal area I believe that it is well compensated according historical events, and if I add more settlements, their expansion would be surreal. And the East zone that you consider irrelevant, has more historical events and more interesting plots. Sorry if you don't like the approach of my mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinete_de_España View Post
    Have you already used other MODs? and if you have, do they work properly ?
    Yes. I used Stainless Steel and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodeci23 View Post
    Yes. I used Stainless Steel and it worked.
    It doesn't work with Stainless Steel mod. One thing is start it, and another is it work correctly.

I know this is a bit too late, but do you or does anyone have a battle_models that it's not scripted like the one in vanilla? I just want to change some units for my own self but trying to edit the battle_models file it's a nightmare

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Fantastic amigos, this was just what I was looking for

Is work on the mod still underway?

Miguel, please tell me that you still have the "descr_sounds" files you used in the mod development. I'm used to using personalized music in almost all the mods I play, and I already know how to edit the "descr_music" and where the sound files go, as well as how to regenerate the "events" files. However, in your mod, these files are missing. If I use the ones from the original game to regenerate the "events" files, everything goes silent. I love your mod, but I'm getting tired of hearing the same music on the campaign map.