Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battle overhaul submod! Version 5.0, compatible with CAC 1.0(10/6/2015)

Decanus

Default Re: Battle overhaul submod! Version 5.0, compatible with CAC 1.0(10/6/2015)

Glad I took this for a test run just now.. it's definitely an improvement. Regular CAC battles feel predictable where as this submod has provided realistic routing effects that create more dynamic battles. I would agree with an earlier poster who was saying cavalry are too powerful, however, they can easily break heavy infantry in rear charges. People don't realize horses typically won't slam in to heavy, hard and sharp objects - the vanilla mega charge effect is very unrealistic.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Battle overhaul submod! Version 5.0, compatible with CAC 1.0(10/6/2015)

Yes, vanilla charges are ridiculous. In this mod you will surely note the difference between frontal charges (almost ineffective) and rear ones, wich can be resolutive (but yes, i agree that they are too powerfull...i'll try to nerf them in the next version)
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

Decanus

I've noticed the health system throws off unit balance (units who'r supposed to have high levels of health lose their weight..) Would be great to see a remedy for this, truthfully, I can't hardly go on with my campaign without a fix for this, and I desperately want to.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

What do you mean by: "they lose their weight"?
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

Decanus

I mean, value. Some units are meant to have more health compared to others and so with a standard 1 hp system those units lose weight, or value.

Edit: stat advantage.
    Last edited by La Tene; June 24, 2015 at 04:15 AM.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Ah oK. I could add a melee defense bonus to certain units in the next version, even if it will require a long work.

la Tene do you have an example of the 1hp issue? Just wondering haven't noticed it. It might be the issue with cavalry charges being slight over kill.

The other option (which would avoid buffing ranged in effect against some units) would be to give some units an Armor bonus on the grounds that they're just hard enough dudes to ignore some injuries. Especially for folks like Gaesatae and whatnot.

Decanus

Right, keeping with CAC's unit ideas would probably mean adding armor in place of the health although I'm just guessing. Hopefully you can discuss with CAC about the best way to move forward.

tigger there will be very many examples of this. In my campaign case I've got Warband infantry who're not worth recruiting when put next to the lower tier sword unit.

Autaritus's Avatar Libertus

Hi! Job & family life have kept me away from gaming for a while, but here I am again with some feedback I hope you'll find useful.

Well, the thing is that I have little to say as this last version of the mod is 99% perfect. I have discovered that 1 hp system works great: in my opinion, the differences of strength between units should radicate on attack/defence abilities and armour/shield, not on hp's. After all a javeline in the stomach is a javeline in the stomach, no matter if you are a levy slinger or an argyraspides phalangite .

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that you have slightly reduced the flanking morale penalty -that's cool, as it gives few seconds for a counter-manoeuvre that can break the encirclement. Surrounding the enemy is still the most important in order to break and rout the enemy, but this few seconds allow the player -or the AI- to reverse the situation with a quick blow, as it often happened in ancient warfare. Realism and tactical play at their best, congrats.

The balance of units is great and so is their speed. There are always things to improve but, to be honest, I can't find any.

Well, maybe there's one little issue: I have the feeling that the toxotai neokreticoi are kind of overpowered -they simply wipe off entire units in a couple of minutes but couldn't find anything odd in their stats -mistery!

Edit: After a deeper check I have found out that toxotai neokreticoi only wipe out light or no armoured troops, which makes sense as they are an elite unit. Nothing to object to their stats then

Keep up the good work, Cesco!

PD: are you planning to update your combat mod for Attila in the mid term? Thanx in advance!
    Last edited by Autaritus; August 13, 2015 at 04:18 PM.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Thank you all for your feedback...in these months i didn't mod nor play at all, since i'm a bit disappointed by all total war franchise (expecially attila, were i had the worst battles in my total war experience) and i lost my interest. I will continue to update this submod though.

When you update this mod?...the battle now are too longer :-(

When will be update for CAC v1.1?

Hi Cesco, what about update for v1.1? If you have time, please look at this. I tried to update for v1.1, but i don't know is this correct. Thank you

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by faber_avgust View Post
    Hi Cesco, what about update for v1.1? If you have time, please look at this. I tried to update for v1.1, but i don't know is this correct. Thank you
    It's too bad Cesco isn't around these days because he did really good work on this. The health issue needs attention...

Health issue? I hope it's not serious and he'll be ok. My best wishes for him.

I think that was a reference to 1HP and the details of the implementation here, not that Cesco is having medical trouble.

Oh man! Happy to read that lol. I guess I need to improve my English haha.

bobbyr's Avatar Semisalis

So @ faber_avgust: Is your update working? Did you receive any feedback?

Cheers

Hi, Cesco! May the gods' blessing fall upon you! How are your modding efforts going? Is the 1hp issue persisting?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Autaritus; March 17, 2016 at 07:49 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast