Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Bran Mac Born's NTW 3 Single Player Campaign AI Settings

Default Re: Bran Mac Born's NTW 3 Single Player Campaign AI Settings

Good sir Bran Mac Born,

Thank you for your efforts to bring realism and challenge to this wonderful game! I have a few clarification questions and comments regarding the 7.1 version. I played NTW3 v7.1 + your SPC 7.1 mod on a clean Vanilla install from Steam. After a couple days, I decided to try out LME 4.2 to compare. After trying that out the past week, I would like to try NTW3 again when you release the 7.2 SPC update. Here are my questions and comments:

1. What file is the campaign completion data found in? If I restore Vanilla, I do not want to have to complete all the campaigns again on Vanilla to get to the next one. I am not sure if I would actually go back to play a Vanilla campaign but it's good to know.

2. How can I get the Target Zones to appear with your mod? As mentioned above, I ran a clean install with no other mods. I tried unchecking and rechecking the Target Zone box in the in-game options and restarting the game, as well as manually editing the preferences.txt file. Perhaps this was completely disabled for realism?

3. Playing as the French on the Europe campaign from your launcher, I noticed some light infantry did not have the light behavior ability. I believe they were standard chaussers. I also found skirmishers who did not have the plant stakes ability either. Is this by design, unlocked by techs, or user error/buggy installation?

4. Battery sizes in your mod are stated to be +1 piece from the NTW3 7.1 settings, but I found my French batteries to still be consisting of 3 pieces for foot and 2 for horse arty. I believed I upped the campaign unit size modifier to try to see if I was simply under the necessary troops numbers to man the guns, but still had standard foot with only 3 canons. Also, I cannot remember if your mod has a flatter trajectory + bounce for round shot on standard field guns. I want to say yes, but I have tried different mods and some of these details get jumbled in my head.

4.5 From what I have read, Napoleon's standard batteries consisted of 8 pieces for foot, and 6 for horse arty. I assume your mod and most others scale this down to roughly half size to maintain somewhat the scaling of gun/troop ratio since the regiments/battalions of infantry and cav are likewise scaled down in the game. However, I would like to be able to have those 6-8 gun batteries and bump up the troop count to get a properly sized division on my screen in SP. I have tried and failed a little while back in tweaking the projectiles and unit stats land tables through PFM, so I am a bit wary of trying to do too much myself.

5. Trade ship caps were very low from what I can recall. Even for the lowest merchant ship. I admit I didn't play this mod for dozens and dozens of hours, so maybe this is a simplification that creates a better trade balance without spamming ships every few turns. Can the cap be increased in-game through techs or more ports? Was this user error/installation issues?

I would very much appreciate responses to these so I am better informed when I give NTW3 another go. I have tried LME 4.2 and Darthmod and find both to be too fast-paced in battles. Sure it is nice to be able to get a few battles in during an hour, but I love this game because it is so cinematic and can be so real. But watching an entire division troops carrying 50 pounds of gear run faster than Usain Bolt for a mile doesn't quite add up. I always think of Pickett's Charge or Fredericksburg (ACW buff here) where troops got shredded by artillery before they even had the chance to then be decimated by infantry. But on Vanilla and other mods, troops might take a couple few hits while walking a mile on open ground under constant arty fire, but it is far from the devastation that occurred historically. Much of this is speed related, which is why I really want to figure out what can be done with NTW3. This speed is so much better and the battles are much more dynamic. I also love the canister graphic.

I think that's pretty much all I have for now. Thanks again for your efforts and I apologize if I have not provided enough detail or have clear user error on my part.

Thanks
    So what's sir_battleterrian_max.rar for and what to do with it ?
    EDIT: Ok, saw the "NEW:BATTLE TERRIAN MOD by Sirloin and Live2Sculpt: Enlarges battlefields to maximum sizes and adds more varied terrian features. PLACE INTO YOUR NAPOLEON DATA FOLDER."

Also the NTW3_v71_spcn.pack is not in the data folder but rather in a subfolder /NTW3/Spcn Is this right ?
    Last edited by General Gordon; March 25, 2017 at 10:04 AM.

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Gordon- put in the data folder. As it says all battlefield will be larger and have more varied terrian features. The new Bran single player campaign file goes into the Spcn folder in the NTW3 folder that is inside of the data folder. Correction made in install instruction from version 5.
    Last edited by Bran Mac Born; March 26, 2017 at 03:01 AM.

Patrician

REDID THE INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS IN POST NUMBER ONE. The install instructions were from version 5 of NTW# Version 7 has new installations.

Protector's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    REDID THE INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS IN POST NUMBER ONE. The install instructions were from version 5 of NTW# Version 7 has new installations.
    Yes,
    thx for your install instruction update.

But I still miss your update for NTW III Version 7.2

Patrician

Still working on 7.2 and DAVN has not given me the updated formation bin file yet.

Waiting for 7.2 wersion....

What pack table do I modify to get troops to kneel when in light infantry behavior? It seems NTW3 disables these behaviors.

40 units save playing as Prusia.
    I'm getting ctds when I play a battle vs Napoleon (midbattle) and it didn't happend against any other nation so far o.O

I think I did found a solution.
    I edited the save to change the unit multiplier from 1 to 0,8 and now I can play the battle without any issues and it is ****** weird cos the new unit size is only applied to the new recruits so ..
    I don't know but it is working

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeis93 View Post
    I think I did found a solution.
    I edited the save to change the unit multiplier from 1 to 0,8 and now I can play the battle without any issues and it is ****** weird cos the new unit size is only applied to the new recruits so ..
    I don't know but it is working
    aaaaand it crashed again

Patrician

Did you change the unit multiplier in the user script? Try that.

Patrician

7.2 Version now uploaded-See post one. Read new install instructions.SPCN file is the 7.2 version

Patrician

Feedback on this 7.2 version will be much appreciated.

I get a CTD every time I try to load with your 7.2 spcn.pack. Works from the normal Napoleon.exe launcher with the 7.2 vanilla spcn.pack. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling NTW 3 7.2 after deleting leftover files through Safe Mode (Administrator errors prevented me from deletion despite being the administrator).

May go back and delete everything and start with a clean install of Nappy again. One thing to note is after launching with the NTW3 launcher the first time no problem, every time after that results in CTD, whereas vanilla launcher works fine (still loads NTW3 7.2). Just doesn't work for me with your 7.2 spcn.pack.

Patrician

The 7.2 launcher does not work on my computer. As it does not work on many others computer

Weird. Well I tried a couple more things and ended up uninstalling the game, deleting the entire NTW folder in safe mode and am now reinstalling vanilla. Copied the mod files I need and put them on my 1TB HDD. Will make a Vanilla backup as soon as it is done reinstalling. Should have done this before but I was too excited to give this game a whirl as I recently purchased a new laptop that can play this game on high/ultra settings. I run the OS, a few apps and this game on my 256GB SSD.

I will make sure to give feedback in the next week as long as I am able to find time to log some hours into it. Just to make sure, do we have permission to modify the spcn.pack at our own risk (personal use, no redistribution)? I am not always sure what the protocol is, though I know not to take someone's work, repackage, and distribute without permission and acknowledgement.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

I have two questions.
    Do I have to install both your 7.1 version and 7.2 version?
    I can't find the spcn folder in my data folder. What should I do?

Your spcn.pack makes me CTD also. It only happens if i start the game using steam, or if i use "Campaigns" in the 7.2 launcher.(others game modes don't crash)
    If I replace it with the original 7.2 spcn.pack, no crash. It is a clean install of NTW and NTW3 7.2 works fine.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Patrician

I looked over the file and the building units allowed was blue removed the blank file. Uploading new version see if it works. I cannot test it because the 7.2 launcher will not work on my computer-always getting an error message. So test it out.
    Edlgrimr-If you have the 7.1 version of the mod use the install instruction for 7.1. If you are using 7.2 use the install instructions for 7.2. Use only one version of the mod not both.
    Last edited by Bran Mac Born; April 04, 2017 at 02:50 PM.