Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Updated] Enhanced Particles

Default [Updated] Enhanced Particles

Ladies and gentlemen, allow us to present to you Enhanced Particles, a modification offering a cinematic experience ín Total War: Rome II battles. Although simple by its nature, Enhanced Particles offers far more dynamic and, dare we say, exciting battlefields. Enjoy every battlefield the way it should be enjoyed - truly atmospheric and visually pleasing!

In order to play & Download
    Following the latest patch for Rome II, steam articles in movie format (such as this mod) will see their format, essential to spectate the effects, terminated. Therefore, the mod can only be played through a separate download. Alternatively, for the tech-savvy, it is possible to activate the mod from the workshop by changing its name and reverting the format back to .movie, via the pack file manager tool.

Download from Sendspace: Download Link
    Download from Mediafire: Download Link

Performance
    Enhanced Particles does not significantly impair performance. The dust is made up of low density particles and transparent enough for you to be able to zoom in closely without a significant performance drop. In order to see the particle effects, the corresponding graphical setting must be set to Very High or Extreme.

We wish you a great experience with the mod. Thanks for bearing with us in anticipation for the fixing update. Kind regards, the team behind Ancient Empires. We would also like to offer special thanks to Demokritos and The Germans are coming for helping out with testing and feedback in the early days of the modification.

Note that some images on Steam are taken by users and include features from other mods as well, such as DeI and GEM.

Steam Article
    The article can be found on Steam with images and user discussions.
    Last edited by Sheridan; November 13, 2015 at 05:51 AM.
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

Default Re: Enhanced Particles

This is a revolution !

Most excellent!!!

At last Napoleonesque particles are back!

Hats off good sir Philip!

Thanks LL!

That's the toned down version on the screenshots by the way. You can only imagine what the standard version looks like.

Well done chaps , great work, looking forward to this.

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Nice idea, Philip, and good work, as always.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

14182's Avatar Miles

Seriously, CA should consider to invite modders to join the developing team as short-term/project staffs. You and many other elite modders enhance the game so much!
    "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

Arrigo Sacchi

Thank you very much everyone! Truth to be told, 14182, some of us - myself included - are pretty new to modding and only started shortly after the release of Rome 2. So we're not quite on the "elite" level yet, at least I'm not.

It's impressive work and unique. Combined with your battle mod, and you just keep doing high quality work.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Gotta say, this looks brilliant. Will take place on my subscribe list for sure!

Looks good

How is this change performance wise though? I'd imagine it's more taxing and I would need to upgrade before
    being able to use this
    Kaziel's pixels & vibrations
    under the patronage of Noif de Bodemloze

Thanks everyone!

Performance wise it's actually not very taxing at all, fortunately. Even when zoomed in you don't notice much (if any) difference. I ran a test with an FPS counter with and without it - perhaps not a perfect comparison, but a comparison nonetheless. There was no notable difference, so it's looking good so far.

The real issue is transferring the effects we've created to an appropriate file. What you see on the images was a result of tampering with a file that has all of its "entries" (effects) used elsewhere in the game, and so we'd change those too which isn't ideal. The strange part is, if using a file dedicated for this very purpose of displaying dust based on when units run or walk, the effect changes entirely to something different and almost two-dimensional. Now this makes no sense, as we started by doing the exact same thing to a different file. Trying to figure a work-around for this at the the moment.

Wow, this looks fantastic! Will this just affect dust, or will it apply to fire, smoke, missile impacts/"blood puffs," and explosions?

Quote Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
    Wow, this looks fantastic! Will this just affect dust, or will it apply to fire, smoke, missile impacts/"blood puffs," and explosions?
    For now we're sticking with just dust. Besides, there are some other really cool mods improving the other things you're looking for already.

Dust alone is wonderful enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    For now we're sticking with just dust. Besides, there are some other really cool mods improving the other things you're looking for already.
    Oh, no doubt. I'm already using Mech_Donald's SEEM 1.6, and I hope your mods works well with it.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Great great... Another piece of art to my collection!

=Vastator='s Avatar Senator

Wow, really good job! I cannot wait to try it!
    I wonder why CA didn't choose to insert the dust effects the old titles had (but they are using it in the fake trailers, like this one at 0:39 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=squcYf4yObE#t=39)
    Disclaimer: the post above is way way prealpha, the final version will be way better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
    Oh, no doubt. I'm already using Mech_Donald's SEEM 1.6, and I hope your mods works well with it.
    I think it does as when I was making my version I was still using SEEM v1.6 but mods are always act differently for different machines so as always I cant say a 100%.
    Also I'm Petellius I added the wind effects and made it look like this

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

reduced dust on none dry, dusty ground

As you can see on very dusty ground the dust ripples across the landscape in a particular direction, according to the strength and direction of the wind on the battle map. This means when watching battles closely you can watch the battlelines disappear for a second, but then re appear as the dust moves. From far away, however, you can see the units very clearly and there is very little FPS drop, maybe a bit when zoomed in to a particularly dense bit of dust cloud. My version is the more taxing of the too but is designed to be realistic and rather dramatic.
    Last edited by Petellius; December 18, 2014 at 04:22 AM.

Morfans's Avatar Semisalis

Now that I have secured Demokritos' ACR "Varietas" release on Dec 22, I only need this one for a happy Xmas.

Ahem ... are you releasing it ?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast