Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overclock

Default overclock

im just curious to know how far can i push my amd 64 3500+ venice core on stock cooling. b4 i even try i just wanna see what waters im gonna tamper with

ProudNerd's Avatar Decanus
    The front lines searching for glory and honor.

Default Re: overclock

Thats a completely stupid and pointless exorcise. Your asking for a busted processor and with your pointless oh-look-im-so-cool-no-really OCing i hope it teaches you a lesson.

Why would you want to overclock a celeron? It woudl only make it suck faster...
    A day without blood is like a day without sunshine.
    Member of S.I.N.

No, that isn't a banana

Quote Originally Posted by gg_wong
    im just curious to know how far can i push my amd 64 3500+ venice core on stock cooling. b4 i even try i just wanna see what waters im gonna tamper with

On stock air, easily 200mhz, but probably more.

Quote Originally Posted by ProudNerd
    Thats a completely stupid and pointless exorcise. Your asking for a busted processor and with your pointless oh-look-im-so-cool-no-really OCing i hope it teaches you a lesson.
    Err, you don't like overclocking, we get it. (And don't be so hostile next time....as your post may (and I stress MAY) be taken as a troll by some members).

@Wong, I have the same processor, on stock cooling you should be able to get 200mhz out of it easy.
    I've overclocked mine to 3ghz (not stock cooling though) but generally set it at about 2600-2700 mhz.
    However your motherboard and ram play a large role in an overclock so results can and definitely do vary.
    I personally am yet to see one person cook a cpu, people use horror stories to scare people yet it really does not happen very often, only to those to go too far too fast.
    Last edited by Aristocrat; November 07, 2006 at 05:10 AM.

Selahedīn's Avatar Biarchus

As long as you have the patience to test your system carefully after every (small) overclock you do, I can't see why you shouldn't try it. Even if you only gain 200mhz it's still some improvement...

ProudNerd's Avatar Decanus
    The front lines searching for glory and honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocrat
    Err, you don't like overclocking, we get it. (And don't be so hostile next time....as your post may (and I stress MAY) be taken as a troll by some members).

@Wong, I have the same processor, on stock cooling you should be able to get 200mhz out of it easy.
    I've overclocked mine to 3ghz (not stock cooling though) but generally set it at about 2600-2700 mhz.
    However your motherboard and ram play a large role in an overclock so results can and definitely do vary.
    I personally am yet to see one person cook a cpu, people use horror stories to scare people yet it really does not happen very happen, only to those to go too far too fast.
    no overclockig on stock is stupid. not simply overclocking.

Why would you want to overclock a celeron? It woudl only make it suck faster...
    A day without blood is like a day without sunshine.
    Member of S.I.N.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Selahedīn
    As long as you have the patience to test your system carefully after every (small) overclock you do, I can't see why you shouldn't try it. Even if you only gain 200mhz it's still some improvement...
    00MHz is a big improvement. It have me around 600 extra men in RTW before slowdown with my Athlon XP 2800+, I was going to tr and get it to 2.3GHz but then I got my Conroe.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Spart's Avatar Senator

I'd imagine that would easily go 400MHz and more, since I got 400MHz out of this one. And this is s754, not very good in OC'ing. Cooling seems to cause no problems, but I'll still buy a better one, since this is sooo noisy. Then I'll keep this running @ 2,4GHz. Or see how far it will go..
    Member of S.I.N
    Finns to the rescue!

How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
    -Sųren Kierkegaard

No, that isn't a banana

You need an edu-ma-cation on the AMD 64s. They run cool, and their stock HSFs are wholly adequate for some basic overclocking. GG will have no problems at all, with a small OC of 200 mhz with his stock HSF.

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

You are right: buying a $500 water cooling system to get an extra 100Mhz out of your CPU is a much smarter thing to do

Anyways: AMD processors are known to have fewer OC capabilities than intels.
    But you can usually get at least an extra 20% or so out of them.

One way to get a (rough) indication is by looking at what the maximum stock speed is for your particular processor family. (notice: all processors from a certain family are produced exactly the same way, the stock speeds are assigned afterwards based a little bit on quality but mainly on market demand)
    The fastest Venice (3800+) has a stock clock speed of 2,4Ghz.
    Due to fluctuations in manufacturing quality not every Venice core will be able to reach this speed, but the vast majority can.
    And most chips can go even a bit faster on stock cooling (but don't expect any miracles here, there is a reason why they don't sell 3Ghz Venice cores).
    Last edited by Erik; November 06, 2006 at 10:12 AM.

No, that isn't a banana

Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    You are right: buying a $500 water cooling system to get an extra 100Mhz out of your CPU is a much smarter thing to do
    Watercooling and overclocking do not necessarily go hand in hand.

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Hello again, all! I'm putting together an 3700+ rig myself. Stepping away from my beloved Intel.
    Two 1Gb 7950 GTX's, and 2Gb o' Corsair. Gonna be good. I want a Core2, but hey...I already got everything but the PSU, HD, and a case!

I noticed all my threads, for the most part, have been put out to pasture! I see I'm STILL #1 in highest OC though...with my 5year old PC! And it's still running STRONG.
    Oh yeah, for the newbies in here, my PC is 5 years old and is STILL the highest here. AND it's been overclocked and watercooled for ALL of those 5 years. So, if you got something else negative to say about our hobby, go say it to the wall. WE don't give a :wub:!!!
    Whoever the mod of this forum is now should put up a "Rules of the Basement" sticky. Rule #1. Just because YOU don't agree with the activities here doesn't give you the right to flame anyone else for THEIR activities here. DONT DO IT!
    Glad to see you all again!

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

if you are willing to ramp up the voltage like you are out of your mind, then 3ghz would not be unreachable.

..And don't even get me started with the abilities of stock cooling. Just ask IncIV. 4Ghz Intel on STOCK COOLING!

Anyway, my rant is done.

Hello again all!

here

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Pent uP Rage
    Hello again, all! I'm putting together an 3700+ rig myself. Stepping away from my beloved Intel.
    Two 1Gb 7950 GTX's, and 2Gb o' Corsair. Gonna be good. I want a Core2, but hey...I already got everything but the PSU, HD, and a case!

I noticed all my threads, for the most part, have been put out to pasture! I see I'm STILL #1 in highest OC though...with my 5year old PC! And it's still running STRONG.
    Oh yeah, for the newbies in here, my PC is 5 years old and is STILL the highest here. AND it's been overclocked and watercooled for ALL of those 5 years. So, if you got something else negative to say about our hobby, go say it to the wall. WE don't give a :wub:!!!
    Whoever the mod of this forum is now should put up a "Rules of the Basement" sticky. Rule #1. Just because YOU don't agree with the activities here doesn't give you the right to flame anyone else for THEIR activities here. DONT DO IT!
    Glad to see you all again!
    Hi Pent uP, I must say that a Core 2 would have been a slightly better option than an Athlon 3700, but hey if you are going to OC it then I suppose it wont be a bottleneck. How much are you planning in OCing by?
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee1026
    if you are willing to ramp up the voltage like you are out of your mind, then 3ghz would not be unreachable.
    3Ghz isn't unreachable, but on stock cooling though.... :hmmm:

It also depends on your PSU, can it handle a long term (at least a year) of your CPU running overclocked? Also depends on your motherboard. And well, the stock heatsink on most AMD's are decent so you needn't worry about that TOO much.

Welcome back Pent, we all missed you. Anyways, with stock cooling, you should be able to get up to .2GHz speed no problem, so read a few guides and go for it.
    Create a Multiplayer Army Online at: www.shogun2armycreator.netne.net
    Your Unofficial Shogun 2 Tech Support Genius
    Visit my Youtube Channel
    Shogun 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/itsmymillertime

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    Hi Pent uP, I must say that a Core 2 would have been a slightly better option than an Athlon 3700, but hey if you are going to OC it then I suppose it wont be a bottleneck. How much are you planning in OCing by?
    Yes, I'd LOOOVE a Core Duo. But, nearly all the components were a gift. Don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, ya know. I will take it as high as I can possibly get it...then maybe just a smidge farther!

As for the question at hand. Your speed goal would be reachable, but as someone else said, not without ramping the voltage. And I wouldn't recommend a Voltage jump of more than .25V without better cooling. If you are willing, a NICE water setup can pieced together for about $150. Nicer than any kit. And hey, you can even put a little elbow grease and $10 into the stock HSF. Lap and polish the base to a mirror finish. I've reduced temps by 5C by lapping my waterblock and 10C on the stock graphics HSF.
    Good luck, wong. You can do it. There IS a way!

here

Quote Originally Posted by Pent uP Rage
    If you are willing, a NICE water setup can pieced together for about $150.
    For $150 you can also buy a dual core 4200+ if your sell your 3500+ on e-bay.
    But then you would miss the satisfaction you get from overclocking of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast