Thread: Sebidee's Mercenary Warfare

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Default Sebidee's Mercenary Warfare

Hi guys! New little mod out for the game's mercenaries.

STEAM LINK: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=348192213

Sebidee's Mercenary Warfare

This is a small and simple mod that aims to make mercenaries more useful and abundant in the campaign. This mod does two things, makes mercenaries slightly cheaper and increases their replenishment rates (by that I mean how long it takes for them to be available for recruitment again).

Historical basis: In ancient times mercenaries were a BIG deal. Everyone used them, The Successor kingdoms, Parthia, the Greeks, Carthage. For most kingdoms mercenaries made up a very large chunk of their armed forces and in some cases the entirety. However, I feel that the vanilla mercenaries are mostly unusable. You use them a couple of times in the campaign for unexpected battles but you don't use them as a regular fixture of your armies. This mod aims to fix that.

Price: All mercenaries have had their upkeep reduced by 20%. This means they will still be financially draining but they won't bankrupt you. If you have a decent income you should be able to afford plenty of mercenaries to bulk up your armies. Remember that this stacks with technologies too!

Avalabilty: In the vanilla game mercenary pools have a very low rate of replenishment. Most have only a 15% chance of returning every turn. The result of this is that once you empty a province of it's mercenaries you will probably not get many more for a very long time. With this mod most weak mercenaries will replenish EVERY TURN (up to a maximum of 4 units) while stronger mercenaries will have a 50-75% chance.

This mod will be included in my eventual unit overhaul and is 100% save game compatible. AI factions will also take advantage of the changes.

If you think some of the changes are too extreme or not extreme enough then please say, I'm willing to fiddle around with the numbers.

Thank you and happy modding!

- Sebidee

TO CHECK OUT MY OTHER MODS, MODS IN PROGRESS AND HISTORICAL RESEARCH PLEASE VISIT MY HOSTED FORUM HERE!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...oster-Overhaul
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

14182's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Sebidee's Mercenary Warfare

Hey, Sebidee!

This's great but not for Carthage. The mercenary upkeep can already go as low as 0 after some techs and traits stack, not even need to send a dignitary to follow the army.

Anyway, it would be an useful mod for those who love to use mercenaries while playing as some other factions.
    "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

Arrigo Sacchi

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

This might make me want to use them longer then one turn =)

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by 14182 View Post
    Hey, Sebidee!

This's great but not for Carthage. The mercenary upkeep can already go as low as 0 after some techs and traits stack, not even need to send a dignitary to follow the army.

Anyway, it would be an useful mod for those who love to use mercenaries while playing as some other factions.
    Yeah, it is hard to balance it with the technologies. Initially I had planned to lower the costs by 40% but that's before I remembered the techs. Probably not recommended for use with Carthage but, hey, they used a lot of mercenaries so I guess it's not a crazy idea to think that they should get them extra cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by VarrKhaitan View Post
    This might make me want to use them longer then one turn =)
    Great! Thanks

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

Nice Idea sebidee, its true mostly i just use mercenary just in one turn play only since the cost is to much one can afford in longer turn, and they are mostly the one i will sacrifice in the battle to come, well no need pay upkeep to dead mercenary +rep for your mod
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

A lot of thanks!!! The mod I neeeded the most for my games!!! Trying just now.

Thanks for making this mod Sebidee!

Great idea, just a couple of questions:

- Some of us prefer to use the mod manager, mind sharing the mod outside steam?
    - Would it be possible to have a XL version of the mod with even lower costs on par with regular army maintenance and higher replenishment rate? This would be an optional version obviously for those of us who want to make a "all mercs" campaign for example.

Cheers
    浪人 - 二天一

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Manji View Post
    Great idea, just a couple of questions:

- Some of us prefer to use the mod manager, mind sharing the mod outside steam?
    - Would it be possible to have a XL version of the mod with even lower costs on par with regular army maintenance and higher replenishment rate? This would be an optional version obviously for those of us who want to make a "all mercs" campaign for example.

Cheers
    Yeah sure I can do that. In the mod now the merc prices are reduced by 20%. What lower percentage would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    Yeah sure I can do that. In the mod now the merc prices are reduced by 20%. What lower percentage would you recommend?
    Not sure percentage wise but the idea would be to keep their upkeep around the same level/value of normal troops hence allowing people who want all-merc armies/heavy merc armies to treat them like normal armies instead of going bankrupt really quick.
    浪人 - 二天一

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Not sure percentage wise but the idea would be to keep their upkeep around the same level/value of normal troops hence allowing people who want all-merc armies/heavy merc armies to treat them like normal armies instead of going bankrupt really quick.
    Well that will cause problems with technologies that reduce mercenary upkeep. The price would be incredibly low with them.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    Well that will cause problems with technologies that reduce mercenary upkeep. The price would be incredibly low with them.
    Eh, who cares mate, it's not your main merc mod it's the XL version or whatnot for those of us who want to play with merc armies, at least reduce it by 30% further. (so 50% total)
    浪人 - 二天一

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Eh, who cares mate, it's not your main merc mod it's the XL version or whatnot for those of us who want to play with merc armies, at least reduce it by 30% further. (so 50% total)
    Ok I'll see what I can do next week
    Hey! Check out my mods!