Thread: [CIU] Culture Identity Unitpacks. Part 1: Parthia, Armenia

Default [CIU] Culture Identity Unitpacks. Part 1: Parthia, Armenia

Hey mates!
    I have long cherished the idea of this mod(s). The main goal is not to make historical accurate units (if you searching for more variety and history you should look at global mods, such as Vae Victis), but to give vanilla units more cultural and ethnic conformity, and maybe add just a couple of new units.

So, the first part is about Parthia and Armenia.

Both of factions belongs to Eastern culture in the original game. So they have similar appearance, similar faces, similar equipment and mostly similar battle fashion.
    And that's completely untrue and historical inaccurate.
    Armenians ethnicity must be kind a mix of Greek/Assyrian maybe.
    And the Parthians are Iranian/Nomads and shouldn't look like other Easterners in the game (just look at this famous statue for example).

So I'm not looking forward for making tons of new fancy shiny units, I'm trying to give units some unique look including skins, hair/beards, equipment and armour.

Talking about new items, there are plenty of new textures for existing models and some new models I made before. No glance and no generic vanilla colors

Special thanks to Ahiga for "Scythian like" hats and for raw models of Iberian hair (I made Parthian hair from those models ), and to Lukas' OSP for base for my maces models.

Let's take a look at units we have there:

First, the units which are similar for both factions (except light foot and horse archers, Parthia has it's own)

All screens made with another my mod - Armoured Horses. Use it for better experience

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Next the units available to just one of those factions:

And at last new units.

Parthians will have two hybrid lance/bow cavalry units - light/medium and very heavy:

Armenians will have heavy archers, heavy swordsmen and Nakharar nobles:

Nakharars can use maces at close combat:

I will be very appreciate to any screenshots from this mod (I just collect them ). So feel free to post them here. Thank you!

Should be compatible with any unitpacks.

DOWNLOAD link

Steam link

RESKIN ONLY VERSION:
    DOWNLOAD

Hope you'll like it.
    Regards!
    Last edited by Avetis; December 01, 2014 at 01:32 AM.

14182's Avatar Miles

Default Re: [CIU] Culture Identity Unitpacks. Part 1: Parthia, Armenia

Woooooo,Great!

I am using KLAssurbanipal's unit packs which provide variety for Hellenistic/civilized factions and always wish that more factions can look less generic. There used to be some great unit packs which added only a few units while modified most of the existing units, but they are no longer supported and updated.

Keep it up!
    "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

Arrigo Sacchi

What a lovely work ! This work gives a lot of love to these two factions

Really wonderful mod! Good work on it, I hope that more Culture Identity Unit packs would release soon

Thanks mates!

Just reuploaded the mod with some tweaks for reducing tunics-armour clipping (it's well known vanilla's bug), little more updates for armour (to make it little more specular).

Hats off! Brilliant work there Avetis,

Thanks, friend!

----------------

Some closer screenshots, which tells us about the main aspects:

Seriously I think Parthian hair is main feature of the mod. Most of workflow time I spend to hair model

Nakharar wearing armour you can find in my resource thread (see the signature links):

These hillmen should be from different hills I think

Idle Swordsmen

And not so idle swordsmen

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Really good work, Avetis! Much needed, too. Looking forward to see more of those CIUs.

BTW, those new units look really cool. Only problem with them is they make compatibility with other mods (like Para Bellum, which changes the stats of the units) more difficult. Would you mind giving us instructions as how to edit your mod to better go along with other mods (including which parts need to be deleted, if editing the stats of your new units to rhyme with the standard of an other mod appears tricky)?
    Last edited by Demokritos; November 24, 2014 at 07:25 AM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Very nice mod !!!! Only the shield ave_oval right-rayed at otdolenii or yellow square approximation

This looks great. Any plans to do the same for other lesser known factions?

Thanks mates!

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    BTW, those new units look really cool. Only problem with them is they make compatibility with other mods (like Para Bellum, which changes the stats of the units) more difficult. Would you mind giving us instructions as how to edit your mod to better go along with other mods (including which parts need to be deleted, if editing the stats of your new units to rhyme with the standard of an other mod appears tricky)?
    You need only change stats at land_units table and maybe make some changes in main_units if you need to change unit cost and/or quantity

Chernish's Avatar Decanus

I will be very appreciate to any screenshots from this mod (I just collect them ). So feel free to post them here. Thank you!
    Well, here is
    Armenians nakharar in action:

IMO - awesome

Do what must be and let be what will

Mediafire version updated. Steam - later

Heavy swordsmen now not so strong and more expensive (I'm poor at balance, sorry )

Also Nakharars now use just maces and precursor javelins, without spears. This makes differ with another melee cavalry, no stupid switching spear/mace at close combat. And it looks realy cool and badass

Just take a quick look:

Reskin Only versions added - see the OP

14182's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Avetis View Post
    Reskin Only versions added - see the OP
    Thanks again, Avetis.

It is really appreciated!
    "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

Arrigo Sacchi

Good work, though if you were to add another unit would it be possible to add a pike unit since Armenia used Pikes IIRC.