Settings: M/M, with two of my own modifications:
King's purse increases by only 100 when a faction is bankrupt (limits stack spam, although it makes start a bit too tough for minor AI factions)
Made ancillaries tradeable (helps in creating a governor that will let you set up a non-native government in a newly-conquered province.)

All the reforms work as advertised, though the final one requires control of Persepolis, by which time the campaign is more or less over.

Start is much easier than for Numidia or Lusotann. You don't have to go deeply into debt.
Reducing the Sauromatae to one city and capturing the Crimea sets up a good Black Sea economy without alarming the Seleucids.
It is easy to keep your reputation high until you are ready to destroy the Seleucids. The Getai were useful allies who kept Makedon in check.
No other faction conquered Seleucid provinces - I had to wipe them out single-handed.
I made a mistake in leaving Pahlava to last. It was useless as an ally, and it took 15 turns to get rid of their horde after taking out the last city.

The basic units allow for a well-balanced army.

I ended up with over 50 provinces but only about 20 generals. Not a single Man of the Hour or adoption.

Victory on turn 327.