Thread: Gravitas - A Hotseat Guide Index

Riverknight's Avatar Last of the Romans

Default Gravitas - A Hotseat Guide Index

Gravitas

Gravitas~ The Roman virtue of honor, dignity and importance.

All of these guides were made by great hotseaters, they will help even the most experienced of us.

Do not rep me, nor thank me.

Rep and thank the creators of these guides.

Do not post in this thread, instead, post in the War Room.

Last edited by SoulGamesInc; November 27, 2016 at 05:26 PM.

Default Re: Gravitas - A Hotseat Guide Index (not finished)

How to manage the economy in a HS/strategy
    This is a guide intended to teach everyone how to play the game at its maximum.
    This is mostly intended to help less expert players who might feel discouraged to play against much more experienced players.
    The problem is, that some players (I'd like to include myself among those) are very experienced and know every secret about the game.
    Secrets that you will soon see, can make a huge difference during a game. I have played these games for many years before getting here,
    while others have played a little and then joined here.
    So if you are interested in reading lets start.

Note: if you are interested in learning I suggest you do not to skip any part of this guide and try to carefully understand everything I'll write.
    Many of the things I'll write you won't find in any guide here on TWC or everywhere else.

Settlement's management: using the scrolls is the best ways.

I had the impression that very few new players here know how to use the scrolls to manage their settlements in an efficient way.

As you can see from the image once you get on this panel , you can check important parameters.
    Putting on the cue a building, you can check on this panel how it will affect (if you see a semi-transparent addition it means that parameter will get an increase, on the other hand if it flashes it means it will get reduced):
    1-population growth
    2-Public order
    3-Income
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Addendum 1 - How to check directly the effect of a building on the 3 above aspects:

Every building usually affects one or more of the 3 above aspects of a settlement (Population growth, Public order and Income). Now lets see an example so that everything is clear. You can see here, the details regarding the Huge City of Wexford which make 2146 profit from trade.

Now you choose, which building you put on the cue. Now lets see the projection if I upgrade the Warehouse to a Docklands , the change of the trade output:

As you can see the semi-transparent addition indicate that the output would change to 2908 once the building will be complete. That's a +762 boost! The same can be done with every building for checking the effect it will have.

Combined with the building tree scroll

You can plan the best path for developing the settlements of your faction . In fact you can check:
    1-how many turns it takes to build a certain building
    2-Requirements you need to build a certain building (for instance some building might require a market in order to being built)
    3-At what level you barracks should reach to being able to recruit a certain unit

Combining with the Trade-settlement-Summary scroll you get an even better idea from where your money come from and how a war would affect you financially. Indeed with every mod (vanilla is the least dependent from it, and the most balanced under this aspect) most of your money comes from trade. Once you get at war with a faction, any trade with said faction would cease.

So if it's a neighboring faction, you might be greatly affected financially. On the contrary a war with a distant faction (like when you are on a crusade/jihad against a faction on the other side of the map) might not affect you at all (unless you have merchants on his lands, which will see their output reduced by 33%).
    That's why it's usually not wise to be at war with all your neighbors.
    Also that's why plagues greatly harm your economy, when a settlement is affected by a plague, all the income generated by trade in that settlement will go to 0 (so the richer the settlement , the most it will affect you). And not only that.. also the nearby settlements will be affected as they won't be able to trade with that settlement as long as the plague will endure.

The Economy's management

Although many do not realize it, this is the key factor in winning an HS. The more money your faction makes, the more (and better by developing the settlements) armies you'll be able to
    make. And even though many players realize this, they do not know which path to follow to get the maximum output.
    Lets start analyzing the financial scroll:

Here you can see all the entry about the income and the outcome. Obviously to maximize the profit, you would want to increase the income part and decrease as much as possible the expenditure part.
    So we start looking at the Income's entries:
    1-Farms: contrary to what someone believe and you can see, farming is in the game the least indicate way to increase your income. Actually every farm upgrade will give you something like +70 coins per turn. The output you see here, include the "base" farming input (and represent most of that output) which you would get even if you didn't upgrade any farms. I'm not saying you should not upgrade farms! . But if you do that, you should do for a different reason than increase than increase the income from that development, because as we'll see there are better building which will gives you more.
    Last note is that, in vanilla (and Retrofit ) mods, farming upgrade has better value under an economic perspective because is much more balanced (but still farming is not such decisive under the economy aspect) than any other mod out there.

2-Mining: mining can be a very important part, depending on what mod are you playing and which regions you own. Usually gold mines give a very good profit. So whenever you have a region with gold resource, building a mine (or upgrading the existing one) is one of the best way to quickly boost the income (usually over +600 for the basic mine, which becomes over +1000 when upgraded to the mines network) from such settlement (also because mines can't be destroyed, so even if your enemy manage to capture it from a short window of time, he can't destroy your effort in building it).
    Other mine-resources (in order of importance silver, marble ,sulfur, tin ,iron , coal) might also offer some interesting profit boost .

2- Trade: trade is the aspect that might play the most decisive part in increasing the income from your settlements. Although things might differ from vanilla to mod and from mod to mod, here are my general indications:
    A-Paved roads: unless your settlement is an island with only one settlement (on which road have no effect at all), the more the settlement is linked to other regions by road, the more the income will boost when you'll build paved road (keep in mind that simple roads do not give any boost on the income). Also they are very useful and decisive in moving more quickly your troops/agents and also they might give a slight boost on population increase. Also Warehouse and Docklands usually gives huge boost in trade (depending on the mod)

3- Merchant trade: this is another factor which might be very decisive, and many players underestimate. Let's start by making comparison among the mods. KGCM (among the mods usually played here) is the mod where the merchant trade can make the biggest difference. In fact the gold mines in Technochtitlan can give a good merchant over 3000+ and you can have 2 of them in that region for that resource. Keep in mind that there are regions where the same resource is present in 2 locations. That means to you, that in such region your merchant would get 2 times the income he would get in a region where the same resource is present just once.
    Very importantly, is that if the resources is not in one of your regions, you should (unless it's your enemy) try to obtain the trade rights because that would increase by around 30% the profit your merchant would make out of that resource.
    How to choose the most profitable resources? I know how the system work and which files to look, but that would be too long to explain. So I'll explain in the simplest way:

A-start a single campaign with the faction and the mod (or vanilla if you're playing vanilla) you're playing with.

B-It's important the capital stays in the same place where you have your Capital in the HS (as switching the capital change also the values that resource will profit to your merchants).

C-Open the console and press the code toggle_fow to see the clear map.

D-Now left-click your merchant and with the mouse point on the different types of resources to check which ones will give you the most profit. keep in mind that silk will always give you the same profit, whether you trade it in Italy or Baghdad. Differences might arise if you have trade rights with one of the 2 regions and not with the other one. Also as I already wrote, if the same resource is present in one region twice, it will also give you twice the income (unless a merchant from another faction is exploiting the other one..).

4-Taxes: there's not much to say about this. Not because it's not important, but because more important factors would decide whether you wanna keep your taxes low or high. Every step in raising taxes make decrease population_growth rate by 0.5.
    So if you are not in desperate need of money and you might want to keep taxes as low as you can until your settlement reaches the population_requirement to upgrade to the level you wanted it to be.
    Usually in KGCM and Vanilla you might want to keep low until you can upgrade to city level. After that , I suggest you keep as high as possible, because population will increase anyway very fast . In SS, instead increasing population would be very difficult in a HS. So it's up to you (as HS might finish in 50-60 turns your effort to develop the settlement might be in vain) decide whether lose money (by keeping taxes low) in order to reach more quickly the population level requirement.
    Good governors might give a good boost with taxes and administration income.

5-King purse: that's decided by the the mod, and you can't modify with your actions. But what's important to know, is that King purse differ from faction to factions and from mod to mod. Why is it important to know? Because if for instance you are playing KGCM as Russia, and there's a Mongol human controlled opponent which you reduced to own only 2 regions, it might be important to know that he has a king purse of 5k (while the average is from 500 to 2500) and that so even with just 2 regions he can still represent a great danger (because he could support up 2 full stacks if he's given the time to recruit them) if you don't finish him off quickly.

6-Diplomatic entry: that represent the money you give or get from other factions (like tributes or one lump sum). It's important you keep track of them (for instance to verify if someone is actually really paying you the sum or interrupted the cash flowing towards you).

7-Corruptions and others: under this voice on the income side the should represent the income derived by "good administration" thing. Good Governors and building like city hall help to increase the amount coming from this entry. Usually this entry is not very important on the "income" side. On the other hand this entry becomes very crucial as far as you expand your "empire". Why? Because corruption output depends primarily from the distance of your settlements from your capital (which is actually represented by the number of tiles separating your settlement from the capital).
    So if for instance you own Bologna as capital and only 2 other close settlements (for instance Florence and Venice), you'll have 0 corruption, no matter what. So in areas where settlements density is scarce (means settlements are far one from the other , like for instance in KGCM in the Russian steppes ) even with few settlements you have a high level of corruption. On the other hand where density is high (like in KGCM in the British islands) you'll have very low corruption even with a relatively high number of settlements.
    Now keep in mind that in mod like KGCM, there's a cap to the max corruption drain you can have from a settlement. This malus is capped to 1000 max. But as long as it doesn't reach that level, the more you increase the trade/tax/farms/mining the more, proportionally will the corruption increase until it reaches the max of 1000. On MTW vanilla and SS I believe there's no max to corruption, but in any case it can never be higher than the sum of the income from that settlement.
    So I guess your big question is: how can I reduce the corruption, so that I can make more profit each turns?
    There are mainly 3 ways:

A- the cheapest and most important is to move your capital in the most "centralized " zone, which is not necessarily the exact center of your empire. Well now it's difficult to explain exactly what I means, so I'll explain an easy method to do that:
    Open the financial scroll and get note of the corruption outcome. Then move your Capital in settlements which you think might be more central in your empire. Every time you do that take note again of the new level of corruption in the financial scroll. Then after you made all the trial you feel necessary, you move the Capital to the settlement where you registered the lowest level of corruption outcome. This trick can save you up to several thousands of coins every turn. It also will improve (generally speaking) the level of public order in your empire. Keep in mind that changing the capital, might change (for good or worse) the income from merchant-trading.

B- Another effective way of reducing corruption, is to build building which gives +law bonus. Indeed law bonuses effectively reduce corruption. City hall usually give the best low bonuses. Also Barracks in KGCM and vanilla (I'm not sure about vanilla) and some other buildings (sometimes guilds too) or settlements upgrades.I can't give the exact list as it changes from mod to mod.

C-Governors:the ones with the right traits, can greatly reduce the corruption to 0 or close to. On the other hand bad governors will increase it. So as advice regardless of the command stars they have, keep the best governors to manage cities and the bad ones use them as generals. Tips for having good governors: buildings like city hall help to get good traits (that are good to decrease corruption), and markets financial ones (to increase trade generated from the settlement), on the other hand churches usually increase chances to get give bad financial traits and brothel to get "corrupted" traits.

OK now lets keep more attention on the expenditure side. We already analyzed one of the major components: corruption.
    Let see the other ones:

8- Wages. It's certainly not the most important one, but if you don't keep it under control, it might become a problem.
    Usually you'll want to keep this entry to a max within 1/10th of the income sum (5% is the recommended). It included the cost of generals ( in some mod though generals have no cost) and your agents (priest ,spies, assassins , diplomats..). If the generals have an upkeep cost, do not make increase their number indiscriminately . Take only the good ones ( if offered for adoption) and distribute them according to your needs. The same goes for the other agents.

9-Army upkeep: normally this one will be your main expenditure during the whole campaign. It's a good rule you keep this entry around no more than 40% of your income during peace-periods and to max 60% during war times. Only when it's really necessary you should pass that limit. This because the more you spend on them, the less you can spend for developing (which will secure the future growth of your income ) your settlements. Also if you spend almost everything on army upkeep it means that during war-time you won't be able to easily replace your loss as you'll barely make some profit every turn.
    It's important you keep this balance. Many players (even the ones considered experts) make this mistakes, although I noticed lately someone learned a bit this lesson.

10-Recruitment costs and Construction costs: I put together as those are the 2 entries which you'll have to manage every turn.The money you'll have to spend on them will depend on how much you contained the cost of the other 3 expenditure entries. I personally always give priority to developing settlements. I recruit units only when strictly necessary and needed. Your ability to recruit units only when needed will make a huge difference during the HS.

Blitzing the AI

Blitzing the AI is something that some new players, not used to tricks, might have difficulty with. Problem is that if you don't expand fast enough, others will do, becoming too powerful while letting you weak.
    Beware: many players, including veterans do not understand that over stretching (expanding too fast, which means getting too many settlements without being sure you can defend them) might be a fatal mistake.
    If a player overstretch himself in the first turns against the AI, and his neighboring players are smart enough, they'll attack him taking advantage of his weakness. On the other hand, if you play against weak/inexperienced/hesitant players, over stretching may pay up.
    Also keep in mind a very important aspect: depending on the mod, and the difficulty level set for the campaign, the AI generally develop faster than the players the settlements (both with population and buildings built). So a very master of the game, will weight carefully
    when capturing settlements. For instance in one HS, as Novgorod (SS6.4) I purposefully had my army waiting on the borders of Palanga region, to wait that the AI controlling TO faction would make reach the settlement the level of population required to upgrade it to a Fortress.
    This way I rather than taking the settlement on turn 7, I waited turn 11 and immediately upgraded to fortress. By turn 15 the fortress upgrade was complete. If I had taken the castle on turn 7, I wouldn't have been able to upgrade the settlement before turn 30 in the best case scenario.
    This because the AI get a 2.5% population increase bonus, as also the TO faction leader has a +2.5% influence in increasing the population due to his chivalry level.
    The same apply to buildings: for instance, remaining with my example of playing with Novgorod, if you wait to capture Turkey, you might have the AI building Barracks or Archery ranges for you. It's also a matter of luck, as also you need to be sure no one else is going to point that settlement.
    Now there are 2 kind of tricks to blitz against the AI: battle tricks and campaign tricks to easily beat the AI.

Battle tricks:
    1-No matter what mod (or vanilla) you play, cavalry is overpowered. With a cavalry unit you might beat a full stack of infantry. So most of the blitzers, will fight this way: have the enemy's infantry tire out by following the cavalry units
    along the map and when they got extremely tired (you should notice that as the speed of the enemy's infantry will visibly slow down), he'll charge them and they'll easily break. Obviously if the enemy has cavalry and archers things get more complicated,
    and you'll need to destroy first the cavalry and then the missile units before taking down the infantry.
    Now this in the open field is pretty straightforward, but what about sieges? The game is a bit bugged: if you attack with a small force (compared to the enemy forces, lets say with odds worse than 1:4) then the garrison inside the settlement will sally out (with the exception of the general unit)
    from the walls and chase you down in the open field. So all you have to do is take few cavalry units and either a siege weapon or you should have your spies opening the gates, and then attack the settlement. Then you apply the same tactic above, letting the enemy chasing you to one of the corner of the map and then when it's tired
    enough, charging with your cavalry.

Campaign tricks:
    The AI works in a predictable way. That's why more experienced players do better than less experienced ,since they know already what's going to happen. Basically the AI (I'm referring to factions, so rebels makes exception) has a tendency to keep one or more units just next to its settlement.
    By attacking those units, the garrison inside the settlement will be forced to supported the attacked army, and by destroying both of them you can occupy the settlements. So knowing that, and depending on the faction you choose and the AI factions around you, if you plan carefully your moves on turn one then on turn
    2 you might be able to take many settlements without needing spies or siege weapons.
    In some mod also, there are rebel settlements with quite powerful garrisons not easy to beat. This is for instance the case for the ERE in late era campaign with SS6.4. You could beat those garrisons if you manage to use the trick I told you before.
    But if you're lazy (if like me you played so many time battles that you don't like wasting your time doing it over and over, but you prefer auto-resolve), or you prefer to dedicate yourself to other targets first, knowing that no one will try to anticipate you in capturing those settlements you might wait..
    Because like I said the AI behave in quite predictable way: so getting back to our example, the garrisons in Athens, Thessalonica, Corinth and Byzantium get out from the settlement at a certain turn.
    Knowing when this happen you might prepare yourself with a General with night fighter trait and a siege weapon, and attack the settlements as soon as most of the garrison gets out from it.
    Once you occupy the settlement, you can decide when dealing with the rest of the rebel garrison when it's more convenient to you.

Strategy against other players

Reputation: it's important you keep a high reputation, otherwise players would be little inclined to make deals with you, or if they do they might back stab for the fear of being betrayed by you as soon as you make your first suspicious move. There are also players ,like me, who would ask something in return
    for making deals with untrusted players or give worse conditions (in order to cover myself for the risk). Since reputation is important, it would be advisable to not lie about facts. Sooner or later you'd get caught with your lie and you'll lose the trust of other players. You might lie about the motives beyond your actions, but then again, don't push it when it's obvious what you're doing: lying it's most of the time a drawback. I personally never do that (not even about my motives), since gaining trust of the players is much more important.
    What you can do instead, without risking to affect your reputation, is to present to other players selectively only bits of the facts. For instance it might come to your knowledge that player x, intends to attack player y. If that outcome is convenient to you, you might wait to warn the player who's gonna be attacked . Or , if the attacked one is weaker and you don't want him to be destroyed you might warn him. This is a simple example, but you might make things much more complicated.

Betrayals: not all the betrayals are seen the same way by other players, the same as you don't judge the same way a person stealing some food for hunger or a rich person stealing from poor people to become richer, despite being the same crime. Same way, betraying or breaking a deal, for necessity (like breaking a NAP with a stronger faction,
    because that other faction is piling up armies on your borders and you spotted a good chance to destroy those before the NAP expires and he destroy you) or for more noble reasons (a coalition of factions became too strong, and you decide to switch side, otherwise the game would become too boring) is not seen the same way as vile betrayals
    motivated just by greed (like back stabbing your neighboring-ally as soon as he moves away his armies, trusting that you won't attack him). A good advice for new players, is to ask around (through pm) to veterans about the reputation of the player you're dealing with. Such a simple thing might save you a bad and bitter surprise.

How do you expand
    This is not difficult to understand, once explained, I believe. But somehow, I think almost no one fully understood such matter. This is the key to wining the HS.
    Like I mentioned earlier, blitzing strategy (the same you might use when playing single-player campaigns) only works with weak players. But if a HS, theere are at least 3 veterans strong players, such strategy not only won't work, but it will also bring you to ruin as they can easily exploit such weak strategy and turning against yourself.
    That's because of the recruitment rate: you need a certain time of turns to start recruiting in your new settlements (depending also on the mod). Moreover, the more you expand the more you expose yourself to new enemies normally. Last but not least, the further you get from your capital the more corruption will makes
    your new conquest less profitable (corruption might get reduced by buildings with law bonuses, but it requires turns and money to build those).
    So main question is how do you expand?
    Lets see a wrong way to do that in a real case example:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...S-6-4-Late-Era

​PICTURE NOT AVAILABLE ~ Riverknight

Now look on how HRE expanded in the first 10 turns. Is there anything you see wrong? Sure he expanded a lot, but are you sure getting all those lands was the right thing to do?
    Now along with factions already bordering with him (Poland,Denmark,Venice), he got new neighbors (England,Aragon,Byzantium). Sure bordering with England,being France AI was inevitable.
    But his worst mistake was getting to deep into the Balkans: this way he gave very good motives to Venice,Poland and ERE to form a coalition against him.
    And obviously HRE can't win against ERE: ERE has all his core provinces (and so his armies) there. HRE has not his core provinces there (only Varad, in which he might-with a slower recruitment rate than ERE- recruit his best units).
    To win, he'd need most of his troops there, leaving mostly undefended its German lands. Even then, ERE can still recruit and replenish his armies by moving units from its settlements by sea.
    So, why putting yourself into such risks which could cause a war in which you have everything to lose and almost nothing to gain?
    A smart player is the one who is capable to create situations favorable to its own politics. A master of the game is capable of influencing the politics and events between other players without even taking part in it.
    How that translates in practice? Lets see to what HRE could have done with such map:
    -the most dangerous enemy is England: strong position, and one of the best units roaster. So HRE ,which is in the middle of the MAP, needs to keep his focus in its French-German lands.
    So if I was HRE, I would have traded the Hungarian regions (Varad, Estzergom, Belgrade) with Poland for its western regions (Prague,Stetting,Wroklaw). The deal is not favorable to HRE: you give away a Fortress (very valuable at the start of the game), a large Town and a City in exchange for a City, a Wooden castle and a Town.
    But look at the map: look at how easier is to defend now. And very importantly look at the Poland position now: he has very good reasons now to attack the ERE. And smart thing about this swap, is that if Poland somehow still decide to come after you, the ERE could be more interested to join you than allying with Poland.
    Worst case scenario, ERE still decide to not help you out, your lands now are very far from him (at least 4-5 turns) and as such it would be more difficult (and risky, because if he sends away his armies he makes himself vulnerable to other factions) for him to help Poland out.
    I'd also have gifted Zagreb to Venice and Clermont to Aragon to buy their allegiance.
    If you get too powerful at the start, like wrote before there's a high risk of facing coalitions against yourself.
    Of course, if you wanna win the game, you have to become that powerful sooner or later. But that's the point: better later than sooner, particularly if you're at the center of the map (it may sound absurd, since by being at the center of the map you think you need lot of power to keep at bay your enemies).
    You need first to develop the core of your empire: both economically and militarly .Don't push yourself forward, but rather just keep up with others. I try, as hard as I can to keep myself with the possible lowest size, not because I lack opportunities for expansion, but to keep a low profile and rather focusing
    on development. When you fight other humans, you need money to finance the war, good units (and usually are better the units you can recruit in more developed settlements, like Large cities and fortresses at least, in some cases you need Huge cities and Citadels) and very importantly a high recruitment rate
    to easily make up for the inevitable losses. Now the recruitment rate of each faction units can be checked in the export.descr.building file of the mod (inside the data folder). With certain mods, like Stainless Steel the quality and the recruitment rate of units changes dramatically when upgrading for instance
    a drill square (available to be built in castles) to barracks (available to be built in Fortresses).
    Lets take a look at a real case: mod Stainless steel 6.4, faction England.
    In a full developed castle you can recruit units at the average of 2.2 units every turn. More than half of those are low quality (levy archers and weak spear militia/fyrd).

On a fortress level the average recruitment rate of units is 4.2 per turn, with over 70% of quality units.

Guide 2
    Hotseating in Westeros
    Written by Dux

Hotseating in Westeros
    Hotseatsing in Westeros!

Contents:
    Introduction
    Beginner
    Participation
    Tips

Introduction
    Hi and welcome to the Westeros Totalwar Hotseat subforum! As you can see we are quite an active hotseat community, probably the most active on this forum besides the general Multiplayer hotseat section. I hope this guide can help new and experienced players about the basics of Westeros hotseats. Don't expect to be a pro after reading this, only through experience in playing hotseats can you become a good player.

We play hotseats only with submods, as the original Westeros Alpha is too broken to be played.
    We mostly play with the enhanced submod, my own King of Rivers and Hills submod or the Blackfyre Rebellion submod. Each hotseat topic will state in its title or in the opening post which submod is used.

Beginner
    If you have played hotseats before you can skip this part.

Hotseats are multiplayer campaigns, not by playing in real time but by playing with saves.

Here is how it works:
    Admin sets up a hotseat and creates the first save(more on that later).

Player one(almost always House Lannister) downloads the first save and puts it in Medieval II Totalwar/mods/modfolder(e.g: Westeros)/saves.
    He starts the mod, and loads the save as he would normally load any save.
    He comes at the hotseat screen.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to r

Here he finds some general information about the hotseat and here he can set his password. After he has set his password he can start the turn. Remember this password, as each time you play a turn you have to first type your password before you can play it.
    Now he can start playing his first turn.

After he is done with his turn he ends (VERY IMPORTANT!) the turn. After he has ended the turn the same hotseat screen comes up but now for the second player (often House Tyrell). Now he saves the game by using the format the admin provided. Often it is like this: hotseatname_house_turnnumber.

Now he uploads the save file he just made to the hotseats topic. The save can be uploaded on any uploading site or directly on this site using the attachments feature. (Note however that this site does not support the .sav extension and you have to pack your save by using a program like winrar).
    After that he notifies the next player with a pm or a post on his profile.

Now the second player can download the save file the first player uploaded and the process repeats itself.

Participation
    If you want to participate in a Westeros hotseat, simply state in a new hotseat topic that you want to join that particular hotseat. You can also join as a sub or replacement for a member that leaves an already started hotseat. Hotseats that need players will post in the Replacement player thread. It is not advised to start a new hotseat topic if you have never played hotseats before.

Be warned however, most hotseats have a long time span and require you to be active for a long time on these forums, at least for a few months. Most hotseats have a 24h rule, which means your turn can come up pretty quickly and when it does you don't have a lot of time to play. When playing hotseats it is advised to be online at least once a day. If you can't do that then there is no point in joining any hotseats.

Tips

General tips

• Read the opening post of the hotseat topic and in particularly the rules.
    • Stick to these rules or you will be punished, this can even lead to a ban from all hotseats in the subforum.
    • Try to make alliances and treaties with other players through personal messages or ingame messages (done by opening the diplomatic tab and clicking the faction's banner).
    • Don't cheat.
    • Don't use any bugs, these are often detailed in the opening post.
    • Always notify the next player.
    • Contact the admin if you think another player has broken the rules before you post that in the topic.
    • Betraying is allowed, this is game of thrones after all. But it is frowned upon and you risk making an enemy out of everyone.
    • Pick an easy faction, Lannister or Tyrell if available.
    • If you have time, read the links Loose Canon and Mithridrate posted

Play tips:

• Have a clear plan on what you want to do in this hotseats, setting a goal for yourself can help.
    • Try to know where your enemies are and what they are doing.
    • Only attack if you know absolutely sure the opponent has not set up a trap, again know your enemies positions.
    • Always make sure you are the attacker, as they seem to have a slight advantage in hotseats.
    • Build forts and watchtowers.
    • Try to move your troops around in large armies, depending on the situation of course.
    • Be prepared to lose your first 2 or 3 hotseats.
    • Play a lot of hotseats to become more experienced.

Westeros specific:

• There are no spies and only a very few assassins and priests in Westeros Total War. So use diplomats to scout the enemy and use watchtowers to guard your lands.
    • There are no siege engines, so be prepared for sieges that take at least a turn.
    • Forts are a really important component of Westeros Total War, use them wisely.
    • Settlements can't upgrade, so don't invest in improving growth rates buildings.
    • Most settlements have a good set of pre-build buildings, including economic buildings, so focus primarily on training units.

Useful hotseat mechanics and tricks OK, so I've been playing hotseats for a little over a year now and I've come across plenty of strange rules, tricks, and common pitfalls to watch out for. Most of these are M2TW mechanics that, until now, I was not familiar with and many of them I learned the hard way (read: all of my armies wiped out ). As such, I figured I'd put together a list of all the major things players need to know about these mechanics if they want to win. Obviously I am hardly the best Hotseater out there, and I doubt I know all the hidden mechanics, so if you have anything to add please do so!

Forting

Forting
    Forting is probably the most important skill in Westeros Total War, and it's something every player needs to get the hang of. I assume that those reading this know the basics of how forts will block movement ranges etc. However, there are also some other things to consider. Firstly, you want to get the most possible distance out of your fort wall, but there are always means of bypassing it. Diagonals, for example, can be freely crossed:

As you can see here, Jaime can bypass this fort wall without incident by moving between the zones of control (ZOCs).

A better option is to do the above trick, but move them each over one to get rid of the diagonal and make the wall impregnable:

Remember to always make use of the full ZOCs as two fort's never need to overlap with one another as long as there are two adjacent ZOC spaces between them.

Finally, forts will always remain on the battlefield until the start of your next turn. This means that abandoning a key fort in range of the enemy will allow them to occupy it freely:

These forts were abandoned on Tully's last turn, and are now free to occupy.

End of Turn Events

End of Turn Events
    Generally speaking we assume that our faction's actions are completed once the turn ends. However, this is not always the case. Several important things take place between the time you hit "End Turn" and the next player begins.

The most important of these is Recruitment. The new forces appear the moment you end your turn. This can have several major advantages, especially if your forces are limited. Here Tywin has siezed an unoccupied Harenhall, but does not want to remain trapped there by himself. Fortunately there is a unit of militia available to recruit so he queues them up and promptly leaves.

Now, on Tully's turn, those militia have been added to the Garrison and the castle must be besieged for a turn before it can be taken.

Obviously one cannot always rely on this, as many castles don't have units available to recruit when you first enter them. If you do need to immediately recruit forces, occupying the settlement as opposed to sacking it leaves more troops in the recruitment pools.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that you do pay the unit's upkeep cost the moment it is recruited. This is not factored into your Projected Treasury Total, so if you're recruiting a bunch of high-upkeep units all at once make sure to deduct that upkeep from your projected totals next turn.

Movement

Movement
    Infantry is rather slow moving, but cavalry is rather rare and incredible expensive. This means that 99% of the time you will need to keep your mounted generals together with your main infantry body. However, there will be many occasions when you need their excess movement to give you a slight edge. The best example of this is when you are moving against the enemy. To besiege a settlement or attack an army you need enough movement to get there, plus one more to begin the fight. Here Lord Bracken has brought his army to the gates of Harenhall, but he is one space sort before he can attack.

To solve this, send a mounted general ahead of the army and begin the siege. Then send the infantry in to join them. This will result in the full army taking part in the siege and allow you to deploy plenty of equipment. The same goes for battles, except here you should send your infantry in first and then bring your general around the side to begin the attack while the infantry stack supports.

EDIT: I've been going more in-depth on forest mechanics and it seems that, as long as you are below ~%60 strength you are clear to exhaust your movement in them.

As for moving your troops through woods, they don't always work to hide your army. Generally speaking, any army with more than 60% strength (12 full units) will not be able to hide. There are some seeming exceptions to this rule that have been encountered, but this is the most replicable number so I'd generally recommend against exceeding this total. Moreover, it appears to be linked to the number of troops, rather than the strength %, so cavalry-heavy armies may be in the clear. Below, Jaime commands a stack of 13 units and is visible to House Tully.

Ambushes can be quite useful if you need to attack someone. When you move to a space adjacent to a hidden enemy they will immediately attack you. This can be used to your advantage in breaking up enemy forces. Here the Lannisters have two half stacks hidden adjacent to one another.

The first thing you can do with these is displace them. By moving a single unit adjacent to one of the armies you can begin a battle. If you retreat without fighting the stack in question will then move forward into the space you previously held. This can be useful for getting your enemies where you want them and into range of your forces.

Also, moving into a space adjacent to both will only draw an attack from one of the two while the other is revealed but remains passive (QUESTION: do any of the more experienced players know how the attacking army is selected?). Moreover, these ambushes will not be supported by ANY adjacent armies regardless of whether they are hidden.

Let's put all of this in action. Jaime's half stack is next to a hidden stack to his south. If Jaime is attacked the hidden troops will come to his aid. However, a single unit from Raventree arrives and draws away the hidden troops by being ambushed and then retreating. This then leaves Edmure clear to kill both individually.

Night Fighter Mechanics

Night Fighter Mechanics
    Night fighting is one of the most useful Hotseating mechanics out there when you are caught facing a vastly superior foe. Essentially what it does is that any general with the Night Fighter trait can choose to have a battle contain only generals who also have that trait. Here, Edric Storm and Courtnay Penrose each have half stacks outside of King's Landing. As it stands now, the battle's odds are dead even, with Joffrey's meager reinforcements barely factoring into the equation.

However, Edric failed to consider that the Hound is a Night fighter. As such, by activating the Night Battle option, the Hound can take on each army one at a time.

Things become more complicated, however, when fighting against other night fighters. Several characters begin the game with that trait, but others can acquire it in battle. As such, it is wise to always assume that your enemy has at lease one or two Night Fighters on his side regardless of how many he started with.

When facing off against a Night Fighter, the first thing to do is remember that your own Night Fighter is the ONLY army that you can guarantee will participate in the battle. As such, it is wise to group all of your best troops together under them while your lighter forces can be commanded by supporting generals. Here Renly has brought his full stack to bear, and he plans to use his Nightfighter ability to the fullest. As such, Joffrey (who himself is not a Night Fighter) has concentrated all of his best troops with the Hound, leaving only light militia under his own banner. This means that, should Renly attack, he will be facing the best troops the crown has to offer, making the battle much more difficult.

These odds can be evened up even more by properly positioning your armies. While adjacent armies without nightfighters will never participate in a night battle, they will obviously fight if they are directly attacked. As such, the best solution to this problem is to ensure that your enemy attacks your non-Night Fighting stack, while your Night Fighters can be brought up in reserve. Here Renly is attempting to attack Joffrey across the River, but despite it being a night battle both of Joffreys armies can now participate.

Economy
    Economy
    This has less to do with mechanics and more to do with simple optimization, but I feel it is useful nonetheless. Many players do a good job of fighting, but mismanage their economies, crippling their war effort in the process. Probably the most important lesson you can learn is to always take full advantage of free upkeep. House Lannister's core territories (now counting the northern coast) consists of 6 settlements. At the start of the game you will be given the option of mobilizing all of your reserves to fight in the Riverlands, leaving all of your castles either empty or with single-unit garrisons. This does have the short term effect of putting troops into the field faster, but it is almost never worth it.

The real limit on the size of your armies is not the cost of recruiting new troops, but the cost of maintaining the ones you already have. Upkeep varies from unit to unit but, generally speaking, a unit's upkeep costs will exceed it's recruitment cost after ~5 turns. Eventually these costs will cripple your economy and make it impossible to recruit new troops and build forts, so it is vital that you get the most bang for your buck. To help with this, every settlement has an allotment of free-upkeep spaces which can be used to house units for free (you can check the number of slots by right-clicking on the main wall/castle building). Below, I have filled each of these free garrisons in the Westerlands, meaning that I now have 26 units in reserve and it isn't costing me a dime. I can say from experience that this is incredibly useful for when you are betrayed and you need to muster an army quickly to defend your homelands.

The flip side of this is that maintaining expensive units in your home territories is rarely worth it when you do have to pay their upkeep costs. As I said before, their upkeep will exceed their recruitment cost in 5 turns, so you are generally better off relying on your free garrisons and only recruiting more forces once the threat is immediate.

One aspect of hotseats that players will often ignore are guilds. These are generally quite expensive so players will generally reject them out of hand. However, one very useful one is the Merchant's guild. Joffrey especially will often be offered this (though other factions will get it too), and I cannot stress enough how useful it is. While Joffrey holds King's Landing, a merchant at the Golden Tooth can generate in excess of 2,500 gold per turn! This will pay the guild's construction costs in 4 turns, and is the equivalent of 3 normal castles. As such, accepting this is absolutely an investment worth making (though make sure to send him after that Westerland gold as other trade resources won't generate quite as much).

Annother thing more specific to Westeros is the option of destroying buildings. For some strange reason burning down a castle barracks will give you mountains of gold, and this can give you the liquid assets to invest heavily in, say, naval power. Some buildings are vital to your war effort, but many others can be destroyed with little to no consequences. Barracks (or at least those in castles) are useless in Youngbloods, as inspecting the castle building reveals that it is capable of recruiting the same troops. As such, burning all of your barracks on turn one is usually a good idea. Castle-based septs are also useless, considering that castles almost never encounter moral issues. Stables and Archery Ranges can go either way, as castles cannot recruit cavalry and archers without them. However, I have found that the addition of cavalry/archers to an army does very little to boost its effectiveness, and as such I personally have no qualms about letting them both go. The one exception to these rules is that cities and towns cannot recruit forces in the absence of a barracks, so I generally leave these intact to allow for greater recruitment options. Apart from this, the only castle buildings I leave intact are blacksmiths (upgraded armor is quite useful) and ports (naval power is vital). Below, I have burned all of Lannister's unnecessary buildings on turn one, gaining an additional 33 thousand gold in the process!

EDIT: Some experienced players have said that they prefer to leave the barracks intact as it provides a greater replenishment rate for your units. I personally disagree with this, as I've rarely found recruitment pools to be a major problem in my home territories, and letting your enemies capture a barracks intact makes it easier for them to hold said settlement. However, there is disagreement on the matter so don't take my word as gospel (really, don't take any of this as gospel, it's pretty much all just opinion).

As for what to spend it on, the investment with the greatest power:upkeep ratio is without a doubt a huge navy. Generally speaking, ships have roughly the same upkeep cost as troops, with Galleys/Cogs probably having the best ratio in the game (25 more upkeep than sailers, but about twice as powerful). Moreover while, say, seven new troops will not make much of a difference on the front lines, seven ships can give you complete naval dominance along the entire coastline. The only downsides are that they require a large up-front investment, they can only be recruited in a few places, and building them takes ages. As such, I would personally recommend using some of the above cash infusion to help pay for a fleet. Trust me when I say it will come in handy . The fleet below took 8 turns and ~18k gold to produce, but it will outmatch just about anything House Greyjoy or Tyrell can throw at it and only costs 1,175 gold to maintain (aka: less than the three units of heavy knights Jaime starts the game with).

Pro Tip: Sailers, cogs, and galleys take ~7 turns to replenish.

Other things to consider are that, as was mentioned above, the projected incomes are not always accurate, so be careful to factor in the upkeep costs of new units when looking at the total.

Finally, if any more experienced players know any economic tricks please share them as well and I'll probably add them to the list .

Coming Soon:
    Diplomats
    And More...

Default Re: Gravitas - A Hotseat Guide Index

Autoresolve and commanders
    We have some solid guides here but id like to add a little of my own:

Auto-Resolve and how it works
    A key part in hotseating is carrying out the fighting and this is usually only done with auto-resolve, it can be just as important to have the right troops as it is to do the right moves. Exactly how AR engine works i do not know and have found little to no information but the cause and effect is easy to see.

The AR engine uses Troop numbers, attack, Total defence ( armor+skill+shield+hp ) when calculating odds and whom wins a fight.

ESTIMATIONS Effective vs armor counts as 1 or 2 attack, good stamina as 1 or 2 defense while very good and excellent each adds 1-2 more. Furthermore, these bonuses are not calculated in ar odds. So an army of Ironborn raiders with 1 chevron looks as if they will lose bad vs Armored spears while they in truth win easily.

Because of this you want heavy troops over light ones, infantry over cavalry. A spear militia army will beat an army of mounted knights for example while costing only a fraction as much to create and maintain. Most archer units have very low attack ( note: missile attack is NOT used in AR ) and are thus both expensive and very poor. Keep in mind that experience, armor and weapon upgrades does add to the units values used in AR! (attack increased by better weapons and experience, defense by better armor) Try not to merge away these things if you can

Command greatly affects casualties and thus the AR outcome ( note: command does not show up on the calculated odds, but it does greatly affect outcome! ) a 10 star general will decrease your losses in the army he is leading by an incredible amount but its really notable at 5 command already. Because of this you want your best troops with your best generals as he is the hardest one to defeat. When attacking it can be best to let him lead whatever army you want to take the least casualties or the army attacking ( whoever attacks is the one whom will get most if not all the traits from the battle )

Defense bonuses also affect outcome, an army defending a fortress can be extremely hard to defeat while being easily defeated in the open. I suspect you can get this from defending bridges, hills and forests too but im not sure. The higher the level of the defenses the bigger bonus. It does not improve your AR when attacking however, only when defending.

Info about the AR to your advantage
    These are the more... tricky bits of the AR engine

If you attack say 10 men in a fortress with 100 of your own, youre likely to have HORRIBLE odds but will win every time provided the troops are above rubbish quality. So keep in mind that the "odds" is not always accurate.

The AR engine seem to have a "breaking point" function for units involved, if a unit is calculated to lose a certain amount of men in % that is over the unknown "breaking point" it seems as they "rout". Its hard to explain but the effect is not. You want to keep your units as large as possible, if you have an army of decimated units you can easily be defeated by a lesser enemy. But if you combine your men to keep each unit strong he wont be able to. 20 units of 20 men ( 400 men ) is MUCH weaker than 4 units of 400 men. Also, you risk losing additional men to this as sometimes small units gets destroyed even though they have very few men left after a battle.

You want to keep your strongest units first in the order of your men, this is the general consensus. I cant tell you how this is but im pretty sure this is due to the "breaking point". Either way, do it! If you are sure to win however, its better to keep easily replaced troops first. You will always lose a certain ( attack/def+number of men) value, and i rather lose 10 militia to gain that value than 3 armored swordsmen. But make sure to swap back so you end the turn with your best units first

If you can, attack the weaker army as the heaviest losses are usually taken by the main attacker and defender army.
    because of this youre more likely to hit the "breaking point", the advantage is slight but supposedly there. Its possible that you may not be able to beat the Main enemy head on, but beat him when he reinforces only. Either way, youre more likely to cause more losses.

Keep these things in mind and you can turn a defeat into a victory, expensive victory into a cheap one, it may very well win you the war!
    What you want in your commanders
    When choosing whom should be your main commander you should check them out properly, some characters will never be a good commander while others can become great! You want traits that cannot be affected by fighting battles, like "social drinker" "born to command" and "intelligent". As opposed to "proven commander" "confident attacker" "fierce in battle".

Adopting someone whom is a born commander but unproven can easily reach 6 command by one or two battles, 8 after many and 10 if he gets a little lucky. While an Proven commander will have a hard time to reach 6 command, very hard to reach 8 and downright impossible to get 10. I try to use the ones with potential, really adds up in the long run. But let your armies be commanded ( when not attacking! ) by those with the most command.

Look for +movement traits, these can be very valuable as 1 square can be the difference between losing everything or destroying your enemy. At least look for this when adopting new people, its pretty easy to get a drillmaster +15% movement and it really helps to get your men to the front lines. Try playing stannis with his 30% of some of the 20-25% greyjoy commanders and you will realize it can be a HUGE thing. If im sure my army is safe i often let my general with the most +movement lead it and only put my high command guy in charge when attacking/defending.

I often find people using the "i cant get better" good command guy over the "im ok, but i can become great... and look how i make my men FLY!"

Summary

For best AR-odds
    • High attack/defence units with a lot of men in them.
    • Good generals leading your best armies, command is key
    • Upgrade your men, dont waste experienced men!
    • Try different combinations

Generals
    • Natural commanders over Proven commanders
    • +movement can make all the difference
    • Potential over Talent when able

Hotseating can be bloody hard, but give it time... Knowledge will give you that little extra for the start and help you peak, but experience is the way. Give it time, dont expect to win at first and play with care and have fun

Last edited by Riverknight; November 22, 2014 at 12:33 AM.

Default Re: Gravitas - A Hotseat Guide Index

Guide 5
    Forting and Fortwaling
    Written by Uriyaca

Forting and Fortwalling
    I was just thinking, we have a guide about general hotseating for begginers and another about Autoresolve, but we don't have one about forting which I think is a VERY major thing in WTW hotseating. So I decided to write one (maybe we should update the OP with all the guides
    )
    Forting and Fortwalling

Forting is a way of keeping away enemy forces by blocking his passage using fort's ZoC. Since there are no siege equipments or in WTW, forting is a critical tool to know how to use when hotseating.
    The uses of forting are so diverse, that not knowing how to use them is a major disadvantage. In this guide I will teach you how to use forts and how to master the art of fortwalling

Forts: what are they?

Fort is a short term for "fortification" . Forts are essentially a "settlement replica" as they have walls, meaning that they cannot be stormed without either being under siege for at least one turn, attacked with siege equipments (which are not recruitable in WTW mods and submods, other then KORAH but this is illegale in some hotseats) , have their walls opened by spies (which are also unrecruitable in Westeros Hotseat unless you choose to accept a spies guild, but either way they are normally illegale in hotseats anyway) or bribed by diplomats. Forts (and watchtowers) can only be built by generals. Much like castles, towns and armies, the forts are sorrounded from all sides, from all nine directions, with what appears to be 9 "brown circles" . Those brown circles are called Zone of Control, or in short terms ZoC. When an army lands on any of those "brown circles", all of their movement points are stolen from them. Meaning the cannot move, until the next turn when they get fresh movement points
    Pic:

Forts: how can you use them?

The combination of unstormable fortifications with the sorrounding ZoC makes the forts an unpassable blockade, for at least one turn. That can be greatly used for your advantage in hotseats. 1 fort creates a 3 square barricade, 2 forts make a 6 square barricade, and so on and so on.... by positioning your forts wisely, you can accomplish a great deal of needs. By using it you can keep away enemy forces from lifting a siege you have made, seperating the forces to destroy them one at a time or slowing down an enemy's arrival until your forces have come to face them. Another major use is making sure that your armies are not attacked on your enemies turn- in hotseats the attacker has a big advantage, and by placing your armies in forts you can make sure that you are the one attacking. Also that way you can try and manuver armies to help you lift the siege, or try to reload your turn in order to get better results.

pics for demonstration how useful forts can be:
    1) Maidenpool ready to be besieged

2) Maidenpool unable to be besieged by using fortwall tactic

Forting tips:
    1) NEVER, unless you have to and cannot possibly avoid it, (for example, limited spaces to place the forts or lack of movement points) place your forts at a distance of 1 square from one another. Why? two very simple reasons:
    • Forts, much like castles and towns, can only have armies on the sorrounding ZoC squares reinforce them. Meaning, when you sally out of a fort against your besieger, all the armies (allied or non allied) that aren't on the fort's ZoC will not be able to reinforce in the battle. When two forts are at a 1 square distance from one another, their ZoC overlap. Because of this, an enemy army can be placed within any of the overlapping ZoC squares, as such participating in both battles but seperating the forces from the two forts. Example: you have two stacks and your enemie has two stacks. In order to make sure that the enemie cannot attack your forces on his turn, you fort your two stacks in two forts BUT you make the critical mistake of placing them 1 square from each other. Then, you enemie takes one of his stacks to besiege one of the forts, and another to besiege the other stack. he places both of his stacks in 2 overlapping ZoC squares. On your turn, when you sally out to fight the enemie stacks, you are outnumbered 2:1, as his two stacks are participating in each battle whilst your stacks are only participating in one.
    • When placing a fort two squares from your other forts, you make a bigger barricade and as such taking more of the enemie's movement points.

2) Try to avoid placing your full armies in forts, because if a situation arises and you are besieged by an army greater then you which you can't defeat, then your entire stacks in insta-gibbed (meaning that your ENTIRE army dies without retreating, along with your generals) . It is better if you for example fort off your army so the enemy armies cannot reach it
    3) Try to avoid placing your armies whom are led by +movement points generals inside forts (also castles and towns btw) becasue then the extra movement points go to waste. It is better to fort off your armies instead
    4) Most hotseats have a "2 forts per region" rule, to limit fortwalling a bit. Almost all hosteats have a "4 units per fort" rule, to limit fort spamming a bit. Almost every hotseat has different rules, so make sure that you read them closely before joining . Most submods (Enhanced\YB, Fire and Blood, Blackfyre Rebellion), as far as I know, have a "1500 dragons" price tag to every fort, except the King of Rivers and Hills submod in which forts cost 500 dragons.
    You have to take all these facts into consideration when you are planning on building a fortwall
    5) If you are not sure if your forts will live up to their purpose, you can try playing a hotseat against yourself, and build an exact replica of the situation in your hotseat. Then you could see if your forts take enough movement points from your enemy.
    6) Other then the regular siege and storm technique to pass\break a fortwall, your enemy can also use diplomats in order to bribe your forts and break through- which can severely mess up your plans and might at times be the difference between winning or losing a war. So you will need to make sure of the following things:
    • There are no enemy diplomats in range
    • That there is a general garrisoning your forts, that makes the forts ~15 times more expensive to bribe and about ~5 times as hard (as in trying to get the fort they are trying to bribe agree to the bribe, even if they have the money) . If you put a general in a fort, pick the one which is the most loyal because they are more expensive and harder to bribe. You also need to know that Faction Leaders and faction heirs are unbribable. Also if you place any type of agent inside a fort (a merchant, diplomat, princess, priest, spy, or assasin) that fort is also unbribale
    • Make sure that the enemy is either broke or unable to afford the bribes, which are normally very expensive
    • That if a diplomat is in range that he has low influence- a diplomat with low influence is less likely to succeed in the bribe
    • If you have no agents\generals available to help protect the fort from being bribe, and an enemy diplomat is in range and there is a danger of a bribe- put as many men as you can inside that fort to make the bribe as expensive as possible. Try putting the most expensive units which are not neccecerily the most useful (as in inside of placing Knights and Armoured Spearmen which are very good in Autoresolve, put cavalry or Longbowmen which are just as expensive if not more and not as useful in Autoresolve)

How to build a fortwall?

Last but not least, comes the question that must be answered. The best way to build a fort wall is this:
    1) Why are you building the fort wall? you will have to adjust the fortwall for its purpose. If it's purpose for example is to delay an enemy, is it to seperate two forces, or something else?
    2) Now, take a look on the map and imagine that it is divided to squares. (that is how TW campaign map is constructed btw, on squares )
    3) check for the best position to place your forts, imagine that the 9 squares sorrounding them are unpassable. Check how wide is the pass you are trying to deny entrance to: do you need to use 1 or 2 or 3 forts?
    4) after you have decided how and where to place your forts, pick the general unit and construct them. Then, pic 4 units to enter each of your forts

And just like that, ends the SPECTACULAR guide of how to construct forts and fortwalls by the mighty Uriyaca . Hope this could be of use to you, VERY important should you choose to hotseat