Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern General Model

Medusa0's Avatar Artifex

Default Southern General Model

Remember the unused general model seen in some of the event pictures?

It is only found as a .cas file in the models_strat folder, so I went on ahead and converted it over to a mesh file so that it can be used in game.

Re-made the textures from scratch since the original textures are really low quality, for Papal States, Venice, Milan, Sicily, Portugal, Spain, and Byzantium only. (I personally use this as the battle model for the Pope, so a brighter texture with a different face is also included.)

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southern_Generals_Remake.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Centenarius

Default Re: Southern General Model

Great work Medusa0! i always wanted to re-create this model. Will you make also the southern captain?

EDIT: Maybe an older southern captain in this gamestar image?

http://www.gamestar.de/_misc/images/...cfm?pk=1084087
    Last edited by Warcrafthero; November 17, 2014 at 07:20 AM.
    Temporarily retired from modding.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

This model is clad in very late medieval-or maybe even renaissance- armor.
    So it would certainly be a "foreign" element in the early game.
    Still, I like what the pictures show, very good work, +rep and keep it up!

very nice one,gonna use them in mine private mod, as officer,he really got the armor for it

Medusa0's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    Maybe an older southern captain in this gamestar image?

http://www.gamestar.de/_misc/images/...cfm?pk=1084087
    Done.

Note that my model uses a sword instead of a spear, the .cas version actually has no weapons to start with. This one also has a different body texture based on the Northern Captain model. Textured for all European factions this time (Mercenary should use rebel texture, Saxons the Holy Roman Empire one, and Normans the English one.).

There is a small issue with the feather on the hat disappearing when viewed from behind, though I doubt it is worth the time to fix it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southern_Captain_Remake.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Medusa0; November 18, 2014 at 09:49 PM.

BM309K58SMERCH's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa0 View Post
    There is a small issue with the feather on the hat disappearing when viewed from behind, though I doubt it is worth the time to fix it.
    Just duplicate the feather and flip vertices to make the texture face backwards.

Good job on finding and releasing this model.

howyouknow215's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa0 View Post
    Done.

Note that my model uses a sword instead of a spear, the .cas version actually has no weapons to start with. This one also has a different body texture based on the Northern Captain model. Textured for all European factions this time (Mercenary should use rebel texture, Saxons the Holy Roman Empire one, and Normans the English one.).

Hey, is it possible to give that captain model to a general in SS6.4? If so does it matter which faction or unit? Thanks.

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Does anyone know of any late period captain/bannerman to replace those default ones with the early period equipment?

I am modding my SS gamebuild and having chainmail flattopgreathelm flag carriers and captains leading gothic knights, gendarmes and reiters is a bit immersion breaking as you might imagine
    My current plan is to learn how to do it myself and take files from the hundred years mod or some other late period modification and use my limited modding skills to replace those in my Stainless steel build.

As you might imagine, things are going a bit slow
    Last edited by +Marius+; December 16, 2014 at 04:55 PM.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marius Marich View Post
    Does anyone know of any late period captain/bannerman to replace those default ones with the early period equipment?

I am modding my SS gamebuild and having chainmail flattopgreathelm flag carriers and captains leading gothic knights, gendarmes and reiters is a bit immersion breaking as you might imagine
    My current plan is to learn how to do it myself and take files from the hundred years mod or some other late period modification and use my limited modding skills to replace those in my Stainless steel build.

As you might imagine, things are going a bit slow
    Go to vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    Go to vanilla.
    You mean to use vanilla models or?
    I am currently considering the HYW models and some others since I do not wish to use regular troop models because I want my officers to stand out from the rest of the crew.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Take existing models from your new mod and use them in descr_characters as the default captains\generals. Simply duplicate the model entry in the modeldb, give it a new name and then replace the animation with the standard multiple animation for captains.

I have tried this, however having regular unit models as officers still does not appeal to me.
    I will try to find other more fancy models from other submods and try with them.

Thank you for the info

Hi. First of all, I want to say, you did a fantastic job! Very well done!

But, um... well, this may seem weird but, could you perhaps upload a southern general that uses it's original texture? The one you made from scratch is really great, but I want to use the original texture (I don't mind if it's low res). I tried making them use the orinigal texture, but because it's following the mapping from yours it doesn't look correctly.

So, like I said, if you have the time, could you maybe re-release the southern general model that uses it's original texture?

Blog Entries

The OP hasn't been online for a year - you may have to give it try and edit the texture your self (make back ups!).

Ah, I see.

Well, I think I can manage it.

I have a question though. I have transformed the CAS file (the stratmap model) of the southern general, and I checked in milkshape that the original texture displays correctly.

Now, if I were to transform the game's CAS file and the OP's mesh file together. Would that work? Could I then erase OP's model and apply it's bones to the CAS model?

just to clarify, I meant transform them into ms3d files and merge them together.

Also, how do the weights of bones work exactly?

Blog Entries

Well, it's pretty much the way I do it: I take the default diplomat model with it's skeleton, import another model, delete the diplomat model after copying it's model comments and adjusting the texture path in it, assign (rig) the new model and that's it. All the time assuming that the new model has it's proper texture already wiht your new model.

This tutorial would help even more if the pictures weren't highjacked.

There is a download link at the bottom for the webpage save, I have also now added a PDF version.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 17, 2022 at 02:00 PM.

Sorry for the dumb question but, what are the "comments" for? how important are they?

Also, in that tutorial it mentions that in order to add new bones, you have to click the option "add", but I don't see that option anywhere. Where is it located? How do I add new bones/delete old ones?

Blog Entries

There is no need to add new bones if you use an existing strat model as base - the important portion in there is regarding the 'rigging' of the model to the skeleton. Assuming that you did the steps until the 'rigging' in my short explanation.

The comments are important for the texture allocation and a few other things I am not very certain about - I do however know that things don't work properly if you don't have them.

But I'm using a mesh model as base, because I want to turn a stratmap model into a battle model.

So, do I just follow that tutorial, but the other way around?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast