Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which DLC should i get?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    beatles300's Avatar Libertus

Default Which DLC should i get?

Hey guys! Ive been playing Rome 2 for a while now, and i have got a good look at nearly all the factions. However, Im really interested in the factions that are released through the DLC. So which culture pack should i get? Im really interested in the Greek states one, and the pirates and raiders, but the nomadic tribes are very intriguing. Just which one is the best?

P.S. Im gonna get HatG soon and possibly CiG

texoman81's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Which DLC should i get?

Just get DEI, VV or another mod that unlocks factions and play with a faction that hasn't been made DLC yet. If you are more interested in greeks i'd suggest Crete. If you get HatG, Syracuse is a good option.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; November 15, 2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Deleted off-topic comment

The most valuable asset of faction packs is arguably their mission system and dilemmas, which could be sometimes quite immersive if you are really interested in their culture. That's something that you normally won't get via faction-unlocking mods. If you are however casual player who puts more weight on units and battles, then frankly faction pack DLCs won't make much difference. All Greek factions play just the same as Macedon, perhaps with weaker cavalry. Nomadic factions are the same as Parthia, albeit with harder starting positions (surrounded by horse archer factions). In term of contents, I believe Greek factions pack offers the most, at least regarding unique units.

Nevertheless I would strongly recommend waiting until Christmas in case they release a Greek campaign DLC. If not then get yourself CiG. This DLC is really fun.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by beatles300 View Post
    Hey guys! Ive been playing Rome 2 for a while now, and i have got a good look at nearly all the factions. However, Im really interested in the factions that are released through the DLC. So which culture pack should i get? Im really interested in the Greek states one, and the pirates and raiders, but the nomadic tribes are very intriguing. Just which one is the best?

P.S. Im gonna get HatG soon and possibly CiG
    Wait for the sale or if you can't wait get them all.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Wait for the sale or if you can't wait get them all.
    I second this

You have to be careful with some of those DLCs classified as "rubbish" by some here. DLC's tend to add units to faction rosters beyond the factions they're explicitly targeted at and some of those units come in quite handy (for example, amazon rider mercs have long range bows and you get those only with the female troops DLC).

Also, you may get widely divergent opinions here. Take CiG as an example. Some, due to their personal preferences, feel this DLC was rubbish. Some, on the other hand, feel, this was the best DLC of all (an exciting SP campaign).
    Last edited by Slaists; November 17, 2014 at 01:23 PM.

14182's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    I second this

You have to be careful with some of those DLCs classified as "rubbish" by some here. DLC's tend to add units to faction rosters beyond the factions they're explicitly targeted at and some of those units come in quite handy (for example, amazon rider mercs have long range bows and you get those only with the female troops DLC).
    As long as the game is up-to-date, DLC factions' units are in the game and can be recruited by AI or even the player via levy from client states/satrapies, unless you are talking about custom battle or the individual unit packs as mentioned.
    "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

Arrigo Sacchi

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by 14182 View Post
    As long as the game is up-to-date, DLC factions' units are in the game and can be recruited by AI or even the player via levy from client states/satrapies, unless you are talking about custom battle or the individual unit packs as mentioned.
    I was under the impression that some of the mercenaries introduced by DLC's are not available unless you have them (the DLCs). But I would not know, I have them all, lol....

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Hannibal at the gates is in my opinion the dlc most worth the money, arguably Caesar in Gaul has a more fun and immersive campaign but its only fun once.

Kraut and Tea's Avatar Campidoctor

Hannibal at the Gates and Ceasar in Gaul are so far the best.

With these two DLCs you will unlock 2 Iberian, one Greek city state factions and 3 Celtic factions.

Of those 3 Celtic factions the Galatians are really worth while in campain and offer a unique challenge.

Avoid the Beasts of War and Nomadic tribes DLCs.

Unless you really like Nomads.... I think they are a waste of time.

Or better put, I was initialy looking forward to them but am somehow to incompetent to manage nomadic armies.

Daughters of Mars... well... I guess I am divided on that myself. If you like the Suebi you should get it, if you hate fantasy female gladiators - dont get it.

The only 2 Greek city state factions I had fun with so far are Epirus and Syracuse.

Syracuse is unlocked with Hannibal at the Gates and I am not sure if Epirus alone is worth the money.

The Pirates and raiders DLC unlocks the arguably most useless faction in the game: Ardiai.

A faction that offer horribly rubbish units and only has some good spear units.

Ardeai are meant to be great if you play naval battles, but since naval battles in the game are broken there is no point in that faction.

It also adds Tylis which is essentialy just a Galatia without Galatian units.

And the Odryssian Kingdom, which is the only faction in that pack worth playing.

And get the blood pack. Some people whine about that but I think it is a good idea.

Did I leave anything out or do you have more questions?
    Last edited by Kraut and Tea; November 16, 2014 at 07:19 AM.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by texoman81 View Post
    Just get DEI, VV or another mod that unlocks factions and play with a faction that hasn't been made DLC yet. If you are more interested in greeks i'd suggest Crete. If you get HatG, Syracuse is a good option.
    The OP said that he's interested in factions that are unlocked via DLC.

So which culture pack should i get? Im really interested in the Greek states one, and the pirates and raiders, but the nomadic tribes are very intriguing. Just which one is the best?
    In any regard, I'd say that the choice largely hinges on what interests you. Personally, I am not very interested in the factions that were available upon release. I got the Greek city states so that I could play as Athens. You get a walled capital, a centrally located position on the campaign map so you could theoretically expand in any direction you want, a fairly balanced roster that evolves nicely, money, as well as a good navy (if you like that style of play.) Sparta is interesting to play with, but they feel rather handicapped due to their lack of a seaport (you cannot trade with anyone.) Epeiros doesn't really interest me as they're another Hellenistic pike faction but if that's your thing then you'd enjoy their combination of pikes/heavy cavalry/Illyrian levies.

The Nomadic cultural pack was essential for me because I am a big fan of the Scythians. I love tearing armies to pieces with horse archers. Royal Scythia also gets Amazon warriors so that's cool. The Roxolani more or less do the same thing, though they have more of a heavy lancer thing going that would one day revolutionary cavalry tactics in Europe. The Massagetae have lots of Cataphracts and...nothing else.

Pirates and Raiders is pretty good. Until very recently (the last patch), Thracian Nobles were the most powerful melee unit in the game. They could cut through Praetorians like a not knife through butter. They're a bit nerfed now but still powerful all the same. The Ordysian campaign is very challenging though because of their lack of spearmen, but it's a world of fun if you love peltasts. The Ariadei is fairly interesting if you want to pretend to be a pirate-king. Interesting naval and spear units but I think that CA failed to really grasp Illyrian civilization/warfare and instead overemphasized the Queen Teuta thing. Tylis has an interesting combination of Thracian and Celtic units but I have never played as them. There are already so many Celtic factions in the game and I am disappointed that CA added another one to a DLC that focused on the Balkans.

I actually like CiG better than HatG. The Hannibal campaign feels like it was designed for MP purposes because both Rome and Carthage are balanced to the point of historic fault. Syracuse is a fun faction but they're a copy of Athens. The Iberian tribes got boring for me to play with very quickly. The Caesar in Gaul campaign is pretty well done and it's a real challenge. It's very fun to bring Roman civilization to Gaul. The new faction options are also great. The Nervii bring more depth to Northern Europe, the Boii have one of the most interesting starting positions in the whole GC, and Galatia speaks for itself.

In other words, follow your heart and interests. If there's a faction/culture that interests you then go for it. If the vanilla version does not please you then feel free to try out some mods that will make things more to your liking.
    Last edited by Darios; November 16, 2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

texoman81's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    The OP said that he's interested in factions that are unlocked via DLC.
    He is only interested in playing with a faction if he has to pay extra for it, that makes absolutely no sense what so ever. So you think he has no interest in Cimmeria or Pergmon now but suddenly will on the 20th? He apparently currently has only 8 playable factions, no reason for him not to explore all his options, regardless of how profitable it is for CA. In fact if he wants to play with Cimmeria or Pergman he should start a campaign with them now so he has time to finish it before the 20th.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Since you said "nearly", i suggest you finish the remaining ones, and when you're done it will be steam xmas sales and you can pick up all of them cheap

beatles300's Avatar Libertus

Alright thanks guys. I will be using mods to unlock other factions but the factions that are released through dlc can only be bought, so i was just wondering if those were worth buying or which was the best. But the greek states seems interesting and the 2 new campaigns are a must

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Alright thanks guys. I will be using mods to unlock other factions but the factions that are released through dlc can only be bought, so i was just wondering if those were worth buying or which was the best. But the greek states seems interesting and the 2 new campaigns are a must
    Good choice and have fun!
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

magraev's Avatar Biarchus

I got 3 dlc (greeks, pirates and nomads) at the last sale - I think it cost me 10 euro total, so no biggie. My point is -wait for a sale

They don't offer much though, but fun to see the extra units (and to play as SPARTA).

14182's Avatar Miles

I agree with the above reply. Spartaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa is the only DLC faction that's worth a try.
    "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

Arrigo Sacchi

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

The campaign packs can still be worth it though.

Wait for a 75% steam sale that has everything, whenever that is. Probably after Attila, R2 DLCs will stop coming out. So wait for an edition that has everything in it (but dont buy out of sale), since most top mods will probably require everything anyway.
    The afore-mentioned personage has been marked for honorable execution
    in accordance to the lawful tradition and practice of the Morag Tong Guild.
    The Bearer of this non-disputable document has official sanctioned license
    to kill the afore-mentioned personage.

Indefinitely Banned

Wait for Steam Sale so you can get all.

I wouldn't get any of them if I were you. I made the mistake of getting CiG, and it was a total waste of money. The rest provide very minimal usually recycled content.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast