Thread: Propposal:" Roman Games" characters as part of the retinue of the generals

Default Propposal:" Roman Games" characters as part of the retinue of the generals

Hi everybody! Lately I have been reading several sources about the Gladiatorian Games, Racing Chariots and another "shows" of the romans and I said to me: "For Jupiter! I think that these guys deserve without doubt some type of representation in the IB:Restitutor Orbis." Yes I know that with the limitations of the engine of Rome Total War it is "impossible" to enjoy gladiatorian fights or racing chariots in the amphiteatres and circus of the game as a good bloody roman: .

But I think that maybe could be included some characters and details about these interesting world within the entourage of the roman generals. Besides each of them would have some specific bonifications and penalizations depending of his type that would affect their general owner. For example:

Dwarf Gladiator:
    This would give points of authority, because historically to have a dwarf became in a sign of high status between the roman patricians, and of happines of the habitants of the sentlements, because who doesn´t enjoy in these times a good fight between two "Tyrion Lanisters".

And this could be applicated with each of the different characters of the "Roman Show of Business".

Below some suggestions with pictures that could serve as inspiration:

Dwarf Gladiators

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Below an interesting article.

Source:http://spectacularantiquity.wordpres...-in-the-arena/

Dwarfs in the Roman Arena
    Dwarfs in the arena are the most straightforward examples of displaying human beings as spectacle in Ancient Rome. Several texts inform us that dwarfs were put on display in the arena on different occasions to show off their physical prowess as gladiators, boxers, or to re-enact mythic narratives.

1) Suetonius, The Twelve Caesars, Augustus 43: “Even Roman knights sometimes took part in stage plays and gladiatorial shows until a Senatorial decree put an end to the practice. After this, no person of good family appeared in any show, with the exception of a young man named Lycius; he was a dwarf, less than two feet tall and weighing only 17 lb but had a tremendous voice.” (Translation, R. Graves, 1965)
    Note: In the original Latin, the word ‘dwarf’ is not present, only that he was an adolescent male less than two feet in height, from which dwarfism is inferred (nihil sane praeterquam adulescentulum Lycium honeste natum exhibuit, tantum ut ostenderet, quod erat bipedali minor, librarum septemdecim ac uocis immensae).
    2) Dio Cassius, Roman History, 67.8.2: “Often he [Domitian] would conduct the games also at night, and sometimes he would pit dwarfs and women against each other”. (Translation, Lacus Curtius)
    Note: The ancient Greek word for ‘dwarf’ is νάνους/nanous (ἐφ᾽ ᾧ που παραμυθούμενος αὐτοὺς δεῖπνόν σφισι δημοσίᾳ διὰπάσης τῆς νυκτὸ παρέσχε. πολλάκις δὲ καὶ τοὺς ἀγῶνας νύκτωρἐποίει, καὶ ἔστιν ὅτε καὶ νάνους καὶ γυναῖκας συνέβαλλε.).
    3) Statius, Silvae 1.6.57-64: “Then in turn come forth the bold battalions of dwarfs, whom Nature from their birth cramped and bound once for all into a knotted lump. These join in battle and deal wounds; see, with Lilliputian hands they menace each his fellow with death; while Father Mars and murderous Valour, and the cranes, ere in random raid they pounce, marvel at the courage of the pygmies.” (Translation D.A. Slater, 1908)
    Note: The Latin term for ‘dwarf’ is pumilus (hic audax subit ordo pumilorum, quos natura brevis statim peracta nodosum semel in globum ligavit, edunt vulnera conseruntque dextras et mortem sibi—qua manu!—minantur. ridet Mars pater et cruenta Virtus casuraeque vagis grues rapinis mirantur pugiles ferociores).
    Textual Analysis
    From these examples it is plain to see that there were dwarfs in the arena on more than one occasion: these individuals were intentionally placed in non-life-threatening situations, since they were valuable and would have been difficult to replace. This latter assertion comes from literary evidence elsewhere which tells of dwarf entertainment at elite dinner parties (e.g. Lucian, Symposium 18-19). Rather than engage in true gladiatorial combat with the ultimate goal of victory through death, the dwarfs recreated mythological narratives (the Pygmies vs. Cranes, or ‘geranomachy’ narrative) and performed fights. The dwarfs boxed and performed for the public, recreating for the entirety of the arena audience the sort of show typically reserved for the elite in a semi-private display of wealth (For more on this subject, see Brunet 2003). What made these displays special was this very fact, allowing the wider public an insight into the world of the elite, which included the exploitation of individuals suffering from dwarfism as entertainment. The myth of the Pygmies vs. Cranes illustrates the emphasis of the unusual bodies – rather than re-enacting this mythical narrative with foreigners as indicators of the Pygmies, the dwarfs filled this role for the sole purpose of highlighting their extraordinary bodies. Ultimately, these individuals were explicitly chosen for their unusual proportions, and therefore transformed into a visual spectacle in a public venue because of their physical appearance.
    An interesting modern example of spectacle involving persons of less-than-average height is the controversial event ‘dwarf-tossing‘, which occur in places such as Canada, the US, and France. These events draw wide criticism but are, at the same time, extremely popular and well-attended. Some of these events recur on a yearly basis, such as those held in Windsor, Ontario; regardless of personal opinion regarding the ethics surrounding the event, there is no question that this is a modern manifestation of human beings exploited as spectacle solely for their unusual physical form.

Gladiatrix

Auriga

Lanista

Last edited by Rampante-Cid; November 14, 2014 at 10:10 AM.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: Propposal:" Roman Games" characters as part of the retinue of the generals

I like the idea. We'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the idea.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Propposal:" Roman Games" characters as part of the retinue of the generals

I like the idea! But now, this is what I must say:

The post of Rampante is a Pop Art Masterpiece, it's also funny and it's psychologically positive.

Please consider that actually Rampante may be an artist and a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    I like the idea! But now, this is what I must say:

The post of Rampante is a Pop Art Masterpiece, it's also funny and it's psychologically positive.

Please consider that actually Rampante may be an artist and a genius.
    Thanks!

Metaluis90's Avatar Ordinarius

And if you could only make those gladiatrix a unit...
    "Rules without exceptions last eternally; Roman Law is the only law"
    "The mighty sword in mighty Roman hands"

They are already are ancillaries in IBFD as gladiators, charioteers, clowns, etc. and give security or popularity to your generals.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

that's an old idea that is long gone, no sense to keep posting here; thread closed (if the OP wants to add anything, please PM me Rampante)
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader