Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of noob questions

Default A couple of noob questions

So, I grabbed MnB (vanilla 1.011) for free from GoG, and completely hooked However, there are things I'd like to know that aren't in a manual,

1 Healing. Is there any faster way than to wait (or travel around)? My character (without any healing skills) heals some 10 hp per day, no matter if camped or travelling. Right now I have 50 HP, and if I get seriously injured (happens quite a lot), I need a few days to heal.

2. I built my character as kind of light lancer style, focus on polearms and javelins used from horseback. But so far, with horse archery 6 and 140 throwing, javelins seem quite useless. Hitting a man sized target seems to be about luck, I usually get 1-2 actual damaging hits from whole bundle. Do they ever get better?

3. Gear. So far I have, perhaps decent early-mid kit from what I've seen in shops-Byrnie, Thick Guard Helmet, Mail Mittens, Mail Chausses, Nordic Shield, Tempered Nordic Sword, Balanced Heavy Lance and Heavy Jarid, horse is Heavy Hunter. I'm kinda lacking money though, so I thought of trading a bit. Could use some tips though. Are trading routes fixed, or randomly generated at start?

4. Max level, stats, weapon skills?

That's all for now, gotta go....

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: A couple of noob questions

1. Yep, you can level up yourself or one of your companions with the "healing" skills. I think they're wound treatment, surgery and first aid. Wound treatment heals you on the map, surgery reduces the chance that felled soldiers actually die, and first aid gives you an extra bit of health if you're 'killed' in battle and come back the next round. Level up one of your companions with these skills (I always use Jeremus) and put him at the bottom of your unit list so he doesn't get brought into combat and is knocked out, as he won't be able to use his surgery skills.

2. 140 throwing is kinda useless, once you get into the 200's you'll see an improvement. That said, even at high scores your throwing will always be fairly inaccurate, especially from horseback, but even so. Some people don't like using throwing weapons at all cause there are so few of them in a bundle and they're so inaccurate. It's up to you, I like em cause they feel good.

3. You've pretty good gear so far. I'm not sure about trade; usually just sell loot from battles. I think 'trade routes,' as they are, are pretty fixed. At least in that fish are cheap at the coast and dear in the desert. Basically the further you are from the origin of the goods, the more money they're worth.

4. Max level's irrelevant, you're not gonna get there. Stats are maxed at 30 and skills are maxed at 10. Weapon skills is apparently 699, but I play a mod which seems to keep the proficiency down at 300.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

Oh by the way Warband's on sale on Steam, going for a fiver.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

I also just got this from GOG though I have had Warband before. What's the main different ?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Not as good.

Warband has better animations, bigger map, new faction (Sarranids), (marginally) better graphics and multiplayer.

I've tried out horse archery, and it's completely different level. I'm still not good with long range ballistic shots, but circling enemy foot troops, shooting them full of arrows is fun. I've managed to dispose of 14 sea raiders in one battle using my war bow and two large bags of khergit arrows. Feels almost OP agaisnt bandits...but then, so does lance. The issue is, will no shield build work for sieges and big battles? Me vs. 20 bandits isn't exactly a big battle.

There's always the danger you'll get shot in big battles. I always like shields just for that.

Bows are pretty viable for big battles or sieges. Though stick to horseback for big battles. Sieges would be about hanging back so your soldiers get shot and sniping the enemy archers.

Yeah...I just decided to get a party for a first time Now I don't know where to level them...got Alayen, Firentis, Klethi, Bahehstur, Deshavi, Bunduk, Ymira and Jeremus. I'm trying to get them decent level and gear...but they just seem so weak. My original intention was to turn the heroes into all cavalry force that would eventually be supported by Rhodok infantry and few other cavalry troops when I get a fief...planning to go with Rhodok. But first I need to level them up, which is proving to be a challenge.

First, I'm not sure what kind of lance should I give them. Right now they have Jousting Lances...they're fairly cheap and with longest reach for cavalry weapon in game, but I'm concerned as AI doesn't seem to be good at charging properly. Maybe a more powerful, shorter weapon would be in order?
    Do shield detioration and horse crippling affect heroes too, or just player character?
    The ingame description is somewhat unclear. Does horseback archery affect crossbows too?
    And finally...I'd appreciate some tips on how to manage and level up my companions. Right now, they are weak. Anything better than looters, and they have significant casualties (okay, just unconscious, but still...healing them takes time) when facing similar numbers. Against mid-higher level troops, they are quite useless. Swadian Men-at-arms made short work of my heroes and I ended up taking them all by myself...barely survived.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    I also just got this from GOG though I have had Warband before. What's the main different ?

Honestly mate buy and play Warband. Its just better on every level.

Secondly there's a number of skills which is only used by the most skilled person in the party. So the healer stat is only used by the best healer in your party, like Jeremius. So usually the best way to go about things is to delegate those things like tracking and healing to companions and focus on personal skills like leadership and combat ability for your main character. Trainer is the only skill which everyone uses all the time so points in that whenever you can is never a bad idea for anyone.

And javelins from horseback is kinda useless. yeah. Better go with arrows.
    Last edited by Påsan; November 18, 2014 at 06:21 AM.

Looks like main reason why are my companions so weak is their low level. I manged to free a Swadian Knight, so I recruited him...my level 23, heroes 9-12, this bloody unnamed NPC...25.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    First, I'm not sure what kind of lance should I give them. Right now they have Jousting Lances...they're fairly cheap and with longest reach for cavalry weapon in game, but I'm concerned as AI doesn't seem to be good at charging properly. Maybe a more powerful, shorter weapon would be in order?
    Do shield detioration and horse crippling affect heroes too, or just player character?
    The ingame description is somewhat unclear. Does horseback archery affect crossbows too?
    And finally...I'd appreciate some tips on how to manage and level up my companions. Right now, they are weak. Anything better than looters, and they have significant casualties (okay, just unconscious, but still...healing them takes time) when facing similar numbers. Against mid-higher level troops, they are quite useless. Swadian Men-at-arms made short work of my heroes and I ended up taking them all by myself...barely survived.
    I don't really let NPC's use lances. They tend to use them stupidly or not at all. If they're going horseback stick to one handed weapons, two handed get penalties.
    NPC's are immune to horse crippling and shield damage.
    Never actually looked into it.
    Having a high trainer skill is the easier way. Tournaments and training grounds also can help out without draining them. Otherwise is the same grind you face, if you were dumb.

I put the companions into their own group and have them follow me in battle, usually. Again, level Jeremus with healing skill and put him on the bottom of the stack, I don't put anything else into him until his healing skills are at ten.

Do the same with Borcha or anyone who has path finding, scouting or tracking, though you can let them fight if you want (put them at the top of the stack).

The rest I just level up to fight. Though you should level one or two up with persuasion for when you're a king and need diplomats... Actually I'm not sure if that's in vanilla MnB.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Honestly mate buy and play Warband. Its just better on every level.
    I already have Warband when it was on sale 2 years ago. Just got the original M&B for free on GOG current sale and just wondering how much difference they are.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by High Fist View Post
    ...Jeremus...
    I usually give him a crossbow (and raise his strength he can use the siege crossbow) and sit him with the archers. But yeah, he gets a gig in pretty much every one of my campaigns, and he sits at the bottom of the roster with Deshavi if I have her.

Warband is excellent, still getting replay value and I've never made my own kingdom. Tried something different last time, played as a foot crossbowman and although it was hard to direct the cavalry it was extremely rewarding sniping at long range. HA is hard, I usually build a lancer with secondary poleaxe/polehammer/other smashie smashie.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Jeremus is a brainiac in my campaign. I kitted him basically as a lancer, because I don't have enough troops yet to actually keep him out of battle, but he survives well...he got engineering in addition to his medical skills.
    From observation, I think AI never goes for couched charge, I got hit, in all my battles, only once by couched charge, and that one was, I believe, an accident...enemy horseman was chasing one of my own cavalry troops and I got in a way. But when given a long lance, it tends to use it decently...not as good as player, of course.
    Seems like a lot has changed for Warband. Does anyone remembers how often is marshall vote called? And sieges...I've just got Curaw as a first addition to my kingdom. The siege was...bloody to say at least. I am a marshall at the moment so I brought virtually all of the Rhodok lords there, with only 30 strong army of mine. After all, I had just one village. I've read here that good tactic is to do a few assaults with archers/crossbows only, take out some defenders by ranged fire and retreat. But as I was commanding mostly other lords' troops, I had usually mostly melee infantry available in my assaults. So I had to go attack after attack, till I got knocked out, wait two days, build another ladder and again. And I started assaults almost at the base of ladder, so my crossbowmen had trouble hitting enemies at high angle, so I'm wondering if sieges are different in Warband.

There are still a few things I wanna ask. I have one village and one town right now, across the map from each other...Emer and Curaw. Emer is quite bugging me....I've had it over three months, recently built a mill, and it's still poor. One of reasons might be bandits...I've cleared them out three times so far, so they had it occupied for a few days...and some invasions might have gone unnoticed when I was out on the campaigns. I'm building a manor there, will a garrison prevent those occupations? I won't be going there often now...

Does anyone know the exact penalties for using Bastard sword one handed on horseback? I'm asking because I don't know if I should use that or Nordic Sword as my backup/siege weapon. The added reach of Bastard is good, but I don't know if it cuts too much into its power.

Idk, it's never clear on the damage difference between using a weapon with one or two hands. If you're going into a siege I'd being the short sword and a strong shield.

And if you have Warband I advise downloading the Floris mod, adds a whole bunch of stuff. Really improves single player IMO.

I know the Bastard Sword takes damage and speed penalties one handed but I don't think they've been quantified or anything. Ultimately since you're on horseback I'd stick with it though, that extra reach with really help you land hits and you won't really need the speed while riding. Now when actually going on foot into melee I'd recommend the Nordic Sword if you're going sword and board because that speed is going to be really help and you can get in close with the shield after all. Plus in the crush of melee longer weapons tend to have their animation interrupted by allies or buildings thus stopping your attack.

Sarin:

1) Warband: definitely get Warband, not only because of the graphical + new faction improvements mentioned earlier, but because of the mods that can be played with it, like Floris (Expanded version 2.54), Prophecy of Pendor 3.611, Brytenwalda v141..and the relatively new Game of Thrones themed ACOK v1.5. There are many more, but the first 3 are my faves.
    These mods make the game even more immersive..and addictive. I personally haven't played vanilla in years.
    The Warband battlesizer is a nifty mod that can support up to 1,000 troops on a battlefield--or whatever your rig can handle.

2) Weapon Specialization: because of the considerably steep learning curve to mastering weapons in the game, it's sensible to specialize, especially in combos that can be used on horseback. Why horseback? Because mounted you can "solo" large bands of Sea Raiders as a starting level character, making heaps of $$$, loot, and renown. Or you can become a tournement ringer. This is how most players who've developed kick-ass weapons skills play the early game, as it's quicker--and more profitable--than trading.

Personally, I prefer bow + arrows + mace + shield---and "solo" Sea Raider Bands by killing most with arrows..then knock out the rest with the mace to sell for ransom. Bow, once mastered, is supreme for clearing castle walls of enemies. Getting close to 1-shot-1-kill proficiency means a lot of quick kills in any type of battle.
    A much more popular choice for most players is lance + 1h + shield + javelins as the couched lance is a instant, 1 hit, kill weapon--and essential in tourneys. I still suck with the lance *sigh* and stick to the few tourneys in the south where horse archery is predominant.

3) Money/Loot in Early Game: most experienced players seem to go the "Solo-ing" Sea Raiders & winning Tournements route. Keep the best loot for yourself and for when you eventually gather companions. Immediately invest your $$ winnings into Silk Factories...for residual income. Eventually, you'll want a business in every city on the map to bankroll your bid as king.

4) Money in Early-Mid Game: my preference is a 100% mounted force of mace-armed companions & troops. Max your prisoner management skill, and go hunting for $$$

5) Money in Mid Game: become a mercenary, with an ever expanding force of elite heavy cav--especially ones armed with maces, for juicy prisoner hauls. Your employer pays for your troops' salaries--while all your ransom $$ is gravy for starting new businesses and upgrading troops. Regarding captured lords--only ransom the "You dog!" ass**le ones, as they'll always hate you. Let everyone else go for friendship + honor--which you'll need later in the game as a lord.

6) Mounted: again, extremely important, especially in mods which are usually more difficult than vanilla, because with a 100% mounted party you can run from bigger parties that can kill you, and chase down weaker ones. In most mods--except Brytenwalda--I keep a 100% mounted party as a merc right up to the point I'm ready to go rogue and take my first castle/city.

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

I dont wanna open another thread, so tell me how can i close the battle info? It takes half my screen in battles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast