Thread: [SUBMOD] Imperator Augustus Garrisons

Default [SUBMOD] Imperator Augustus Garrisons

Here's a quick fix for the IA campaign changing the garrisons. The Italian garrisons were bothering me, and it made sense there would be vigiles and maybe even a cohort or two of legionaries to defend.

Changes:

• Italian Armed Citizens renamed to Civitus Armatus
    • Italian Citizen Javelinmen renamed to Civitus Velites
    • Italian City Guard changed to Cohors Vigilum
    • Italian Garrison Swordsmen changed to Cohors Legionaria
    • Italian Garrison Horsemen changed to Cohors Evocata

Balance seems okay, only get 1 Cohors Evocata with Roman Garrison Municipium or Cohort Barracks. Posted screens below showing the garrisons for every building that provides them (I think, if not it will be the same as DEI, just with the "new" units). Not sure if this applies to AI factions, I hope it does as it would lead to better balance and perhaps a more challenging campaign.

First mod I've made, was going to use it personally but figured I'd post it. Also restricted recruitment of Vigiles and Antesignani, felt the ability to was unwarranted. Vigiles should be restricted to city defense. Not enough historical record to support Antesignani being used wide scale, skirmishers should be recruited through auxiliaries, AOR, or mercenaries. Left the naval ones recruitable as it would cripple Roman navies. Open to any suggestions, and let me know if you come across any bugs. Not well versed in Latin and can always rename those 2 units if anyone mentions it.

Walled Level 1
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Walled Level 2

Walled Level 3 (Trade Municipium)

Walled Level 3 (Garrison Municipium)

Walled Level 3 (Municipium)

Minor Level 1

Minor Level 2

Minor Level 3

Military Level 2

Military Level 3

Download:
    IA Garrison Submod

Default Re: [SUBMOD] Imperator Augustus Garrisons

Forgot to add, although I restricted Vigiles and Antesignani they will still show up in the starting armies. Can't edit the startpos so I just delete them in game, but the AI will still have a few.

After playing the first bit of a campaign I came across a few bugs and changes that need to be addressed.

Changelog:

• Civitus is now Civitas (did that in OP too)
    • Antisegsnani naval units are now recruitable
    • Leves removed
    • AOR Italian Slingers now recruitable in Italy
    • Italian Armed Citizens changed to Italian Garrison Swordsmen, and renamed to Civitas Praesidium (Citizen Garrison)

Again, most factions have access to enough skirmishers through AOR so removed Leves. Added slingers for Octavian in case. Think everyone else is well covered, most start with a few Antisegsnani; can always keep these around as "elite" skirmishers.

The garrison change requires a new start, but don't think any have downloaded yet. They were too weak with the Armed Citizens, not for myself but the AI. Hopefully this prevents the steamroll of Pompey I did testing Octavian. On that note, garrisons for all Roman factions in IA are affected. Things should be more challenging overall; generally the player is focused on attacking rather than defending.

New version uploaded to Google Drive, link in OP also contains new version.

Download:
    IA Garrison Submod

Ultimately I plan a more detailed overhaul. Hope to create logical garrisons based on the settlement and its buildings for Roman factions in IA. Sieges are a huge in this campaign considering all the territory held by each Roman faction, very easy to blitz them. At this point the Submod would have to be turned off for other campaigns.

Examples:

• Barracks provide Legionnaires. Maybe some being "recruits" with reduced stats.
    • Training sites provide Veterans. Aux Cav from horse training, Praetorians from Praetoria.
    • Settlements provide only Vigiles and the newly dubbed Civitas Praesidium.
    • Garrison specialized cities should have a solid lineup of troops.

Settlements will provide most troops for the garrison. Will probably tweak stats of Vigiles(buff) and Civitas Praesidium(increase ammo) as the main garrison forces. Quantity of units from military buildings will most likely be low for balance and the AI. Hope to look into this on the weekend.

Awesome Mod I always felt like their should be legionaries or at least some better units in garisons. However it took me awhile to get this mod to work because I use the Marian reform mod for IA and the legionaries went in the garrisons while that mod is active. So I was wondering if their is anyway that you could make this so it works with the Marian reform as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizwald714 View Post
    Awesome Mod I always felt like their should be legionaries or at least some better units in garisons. However it took me awhile to get this mod to work because I use the Marian reform mod for IA and the legionaries went in the garrisons while that mod is active. So I was wondering if their is anyway that you could make this so it works with the Marian reform as well.
    Thanks for the feedback, I will definitely look into it. The only problem is if I put Marian units into the garrisons, not sure if they would be upgraded when you hit the Augustan reforms. I'm sure its possible but don't know how to link the garrison troops to reforms. I could upload a version replacing the Legionaries with Vigiles or Civitas Praesidium. That would solve the issue for use with the Marian reform submod, and for anyone who doesn't want Legionaries in the garrisons. It would still help out the AI as the garrisons would be stronger than in regular DEI.