Thread: A few Bugs and glitches spotted

[G-Shock]'s Avatar Semisalis

Icon4 A few Bugs and glitches spotted

I shot the yankee artillery on MCPherson's ridge with my Heth's skirmishers, they withdrew towards Oak's hill but just in between the 2 hills the arty unit actually disappeared from the map (not from sight, from the map, it vaporized). My troops kept shooting for ALL the battle in that direction, hitting nothing obviously. Only happened once, not sure I can repeat it.

Arty seems often incapable to engage targets in sight. I am actually at a loss with when a target is in sight or not because despite setting them on the heights, they seem to have no visibility on some yankee bdes whereas the visibility should be there. I set the LOS shadow to the maximum and I assume when I select an arty unit, all the yankee units in sight are illuminated (not in the dark). Yet the arty doesn't fire and I don't know why. Yes there's a problem here.
    I think troops should auto-wheel to face the enemy, unless they have multiple enemies in range, but this shouldn't apply to arty. Arty should remain in the facing you leave it.

I have had an instance of Davis being routed on McPherson. He only regained morale near the end of the battle, regardless of the commander being on top of it and no presence of enemy and not being engaged. Morale got at best at 5% while the rest of the battle carried on. This bde was knocked out at the beginning somehow and it never regained morale despite being out of the battle. It was useless for the whole engagement after losing just about a hundred men. No idea.

Speaking of which, but this is not the case, I think if a unit is pushed off map or if a unit is routed with very heavy losses it should just flee and never rally again. That is especially true with the Yankees who have less inspiring leaders in the first day. It somehow shocks me that a unit can rout 10 times and still come back.

When a unit is routing, it appears that you can give them an order while they're still doing so, and that recovers the unit. Units should be standing idle while they reform and only when the morale is stable, albeit low, you should be allowed to give them a move order. I've many times had the impression that by giving the move order you actually rally the routing unit.

The control of the DIV commander, which you need to move to boost morale, is delicate. If you hold lmb when on him you can move him but if you select him and then issue the move, this moves the whole group. A better control system seems appropriate. If you do this mistake, the whole group is fighting and you break formations, los and firing range... this can EASILY cost you the battle.

While it's good that units switch from column to line when enemy is in proximity, I'd still advocate a button for that because column travels (should travel) much faster (and take more hits if engaged in this formation). Skirmishers typically didn't fire in volleys and regular units sometimes didn't either (it's the case of the 10 steps mentioned in my other thread), so it's another button we could use.

I noticed troops reload too fast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1BraAJD0tk (3 shots in a minute but that's for GOOD troops). There's a gamey advantage here if you MOVE when you're reloading but moving and reloading should take longer, instead you reload at the same speed whether you move or are halted. Another glitchy gamey advantage is to shoot and fall back beyond range but apparently when the firing sequence begins the maximum range of the rifles is neglected and the target can shoot back even if the enemy now moved away. I am afraid though with penalty to accuracy.

I'm sure all of this will be ironed out. Got to say I've been beaten time and time again already, which only adds up to the fun.

I HOPE you guys devised a way to have multiplayer with more than just 2 players involved so that each player may take a core or a div. At Gettysburg we could really have 12 vs 12 battles (hint hint... those couriers could be used to chat between players and send orders).

Default Re: A few Bugs and glitches spotted

Another test on the strange behavior of the guns disappearing.

Brockenbrough charges across the river and uphill to take Calef but the guns are somehow faster than my charging infantry (this is awful and I hope it's fixed asap). I've marked the starting and ending positions.

Calef is later destroyed by Brockenbrough and disappears, however, this time the Arty was REALLY eliminated from the game.
    Maybe, just maybe, that problem is only related to the skirmishers because it looks like when infantry shoots and kills arty the arty is really out. Trying to narrow it down.

Thanks for detailed feedback G-Shock,

Especially for the below 2 bugs:

Artillery and generally targeting issues
    These will be addressed in the upcoming patch. Most if not all bug cases will be fixed.

Units firing at vaporised enemies
    This issue is known but very difficult to find exact reason to fix without braking something. We will continue to research.
    It happens when an artillery unit is completely eliminated and some times for some time the units keep targeting it. If you move units away or target something else it fixes itself.

WTH happened to my picture... gotta change host definitely, but I guess you managed to see it.

Please make sure that when the CHARGE is sounded the clash actually happens. Can't believe those guns escaped, it's really bad looking.

Be advised upon the artillery firing range, Darth.

Cannister was being used up to 150m and that's EXACTLY the maximum effective firing range of the standard musket.
    That means if you do not employ horse artillery, the arty must manually move back BEFORE the charging range is reached or be captured by the infantry charge. Historically, in most cases, cannister was the last straw: one final pull of the rope and then ROUT.

Best would be, as I said in this case, to have the arty be left in place and design sprites of the routing crew (if routed by musket fire). Since this calls on a new "state" the CHECK on that state may be the solution to the "units firing at vaporized enemies" issue, which also comes as good stuff for the future (capturing enemy guns).

Can't wait for your patch and I hope my suggestions are being studied for future development.

I think you've built a masterpiece in the making and I'm studying it more than playing it at present time.

There you go, experimenting with LOS.
    Pettigrew is selected, as you can see in the FoW, he's almost touching an enemy Bde but he can't see it. The wings of Pettygrew occupy two hills, it's only the center that's on the flat line. I think these kinds of issues are the problems with artillery too. I couldn't take a picture of it but I set one of my batteries on one of the small hills SW of Seminary ridge, targeting the SE corner of the map where the Union reinforcements arrive. Well the same arty, unmoved from that spot, started shooting at one of those targets, I checked it was in sight. A few moments later, while I was checking, I selected it and I saw the field of view going.

The same target was no longer in sight. Neither the target nor the artillery had moved. It happened right when I selected that arty... one moment the field of view is illuminated, next moment it went dark under my eyes.

The problem of Pettygrew is that the entity (same as with Pettygrew) is the flag and not the square which holds the sprites... this is a delicate problem. One inch means the difference between being on the top of a hill and behing behind the top, obscured by the top itself. The problem is aggravated in presence of buildings. Behind that barn is something, ahead of it, rightfully, is something else but units that can shoot should shoot.

This game is grand, that map design is absolutely fantastic, it gives you the feeling and the contour lines help a lot. It's not easy to understand the topography but maybe the difficulty is related to this LoS problem. However, it truly is difficult to place the arty for CSA since the Union is masked by those 2 big hills.

I must have routed that Iron Bde 4 times but it always came back and it came back too soon. Need to check the unit has really rallied before it comes back and in order for that to happen, the unit must be definitely far from combat. Let them rout... if they run 50m and then come back it's pretty pointless. Actually some of those units have taken such a beating I don't think they should have come back at all... (aye, that's also true for some of my units though but I have superior leadership)

Quote Originally Posted by [G-Shock] View Post

There you go, experimenting with LOS.
    Pettigrew is selected, as you can see in the FoW, he's almost touching an enemy Bde but he can't see it. The wings of Pettygrew occupy two hills, it's only the center that's on the flat line. I think these kinds of issues are the problems with artillery too. I couldn't take a picture of it but I set one of my batteries on one of the small hills SW of Seminary ridge, targeting the SE corner of the map where the Union reinforcements arrive. Well the same arty, unmoved from that spot, started shooting at one of those targets, I checked it was in sight. A few moments later, while I was checking, I selected it and I saw the field of view going.

The same target was no longer in sight. Neither the target nor the artillery had moved. It happened right when I selected that arty... one moment the field of view is illuminated, next moment it went dark under my eyes.

The problem of Pettygrew is that the entity (same as with Pettygrew) is the flag and not the square which holds the sprites... this is a delicate problem. One inch means the difference between being on the top of a hill and behing behind the top, obscured by the top itself. The problem is aggravated in presence of buildings. Behind that barn is something, ahead of it, rightfully, is something else but units that can shoot should shoot.

This game is grand, that map design is absolutely fantastic, it gives you the feeling and the contour lines help a lot. It's not easy to understand the topography but maybe the difficulty is related to this LoS problem. However, it truly is difficult to place the arty for CSA since the Union is masked by those 2 big hills.

I must have routed that Iron Bde 4 times but it always came back and it came back too soon. Need to check the unit has really rallied before it comes back and in order for that to happen, the unit must be definitely far from combat. Let them rout... if they run 50m and then come back it's pretty pointless. Actually some of those units have taken such a beating I don't think they should have come back at all... (aye, that's also true for some of my units though but I have superior leadership)
    Such LoS issues will be addressed in the next patch. You are right to report this. It is a problem. The entity though is not only the flag but the whole area of unit. You can try to rotate your wide units on the same location and notice how the LoS reveals accordingly.

Actually wide units can see more and are more visible naturally. Some locations need fixing and we will repair most of them if not all in next patch. Thanks for your continuing feedback. It helps a lot.

I have so far been unable to actually catch an arty unit with a charge... they relocate too late but they move too fast.
    Arty should switch to cannister when in musket range and then they should relocate but they should move a lot slower (we haven't got horse arty yet, apparently). They can't just escape a charge like they do now.

However, do note that if a Bde of 1000 men shoots 100 men with arty, even if they ate the cannister while doing so, that battery crew would be taking such a hail of bullets I doubt anyone would survive and anyone who did would be definitely in shattered state.

There shouldn't be need for a charge at all against the Arty but if you do charge it and it moves faster than your infantry then there's something wrong.

The arty kills, by themselves, need some looking at. I generally leave it on auto but if we had to go in detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_a...ican_Civil_War
    exposed troops would be attacked with shrapnel and a shrapnel hitting doesn't cause just 1 or 2 kills. Neither does a shell or solid hit for the matter but with shrapnel is more evident.

I did a study back then on saturation of shrapnel, shell and solid but I lost it, I suppose our arty does more morale hit than factual kills.

As of routing, as I mentioned, the troops rally too fast (they also reload too fast... I think running and reloading is a game exploit actually) even in direct proximity of a chasing enemy. There appears to be no practical advantage in chasing a routing a BDE because if you advance, you'll face it again less than 30" later (and you could even find yourself flanked if you chase it).

I've found myself routing an enemy and be routed by the same enemy 30" later even without being flanked, many many times.

Can't wait for this patch.