Thread: Factions Overhauled in Vae Victis

Default Factions Overhauled in Vae Victis

Vae Victis Faction List

Here are the 114 playable factions listed by geographic region.
    The 70 factions that have been overhauled so far are marked in bold.
    Factions that are in the process of being overhauled are marked as “(researching)”.
    Links to previews are included when available.

Spanish Iberia
    Iberia previews here and here.
    Lusitani
    Edetani
    Cessetani
    Gallaeci
    Celtici
    Cantabri
    Turdetani
    Arevaci

Gaul (France)
    Treverii
    Sequani
    Pictones
    Aedui
    Volcae
    Averni
    Vivisci
    Atrebartes
    Veneti
    Carnutes
    Helvetii

Britannia
    Dumnonii
    Trinovantes
    Demetae
    Brigantes
    Wotadini
    Iwerni

Germania
    Germanic Preview
    Nervii
    Boii
    Frisii
    Lugii
    Rugii
    Aestii
    Suebi
    Gutones
    Cherusci
    Cimbri
    Chatti
    Volci

Northern Italy
    Massalia
    Insubres
    Liguria
    Nori (Will be redone)
    Raeti
    Cenomani Veneti

Southern Italy
    Etruscan League
    Rome
    Syracuse

North Africa
    Carthage
    Lybia
    Gaetuli
    Masaesyli (researching)
    Garamantia (Researching)
    Nasamones
    Cyrene
    Ptolemaic Egypt
    Blemmyes
    Meroe (researching)
    Axum (deleting)

Greece
    Sparta
    (Achaean League - custom & mp battles only)
    Athens
    Aetolian League
    Epirus
    Macedon (researching)
    Krete
    Rhodes

Balkan Region
    Tylis (Will be redone)
    Triballi
    Ardiaei
    Biephi
    Daorsi
    Delmatae
    Odryssian Kingdom
    Breuci (Will be redone)
    Getae (Will be redone)
    Bastarnae (Will be redone)
    Anartes (Will be redone)
    Eravisci (Will be redone)
    Scordisci (Will be redone)

Anatolia & Syria
    Pergamon (Researching)
    Bithynia preview
    Galatia
    Pontus
    Cappadocia
    Seleucid Empire (researching)

Caucasus
    Armenia Preview
    Colchis
    Iberia (researching)
    Albania
    Media Atropatene

Northern Nomads
    Budini
    Catiaroi
    Royal Scythia
    Cimmerian Bosporus (researching)
    Siraces
    Aorsoi
    Roxolani
    Thyssagetae
    Massagetae
    Khorasmii
    Parthia preview

Iranian Satrapies
    Media
    Parthava
    Susiana (researching)
    Persia (researching)
    Carmania
    Aria
    Arachosia (researching)
    Baktria

Arabian Tribes
    Nabatea
    Ma'in
    Himyar
    Saba
    Mascat
    Gerrhaea
    Quidri

Last edited by Magnar; October 04, 2015 at 05:12 AM.

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Factions Overhauled in Vae Victis

I copied this from a word file in my dropbox. Please give pikemen to Meroe.

Strabo's geography describes some battles where Nubians overpower Roman garrisons in upper Egypt (upper Egypt means southern Egypt) and among their arms was pikes. I know pike is the correct translation because the Greek word used is kontous, not dory. Dory means spear. Among their weapons were axes, swords, spears, pikes, and oblong shields. This army attacked the Romans around 25 BC under the command of 'Candace.' Candace is not a name but it means 'queen' in the Nubian or Meroitic language. The influence here is more Greek and Egyptian however. After Alexander the Great died, his general Ptolemy took over EGypt and Egypt was ruled by a Greek dynasty. They used Pikes (sirassas) as a significant part of their armies and there were some battles and skirmishes from 300- maybe 150 BC between Ptolmaic Egypt and Nubia. Nothing major to my knowledge, but plenty to show the Nubians the advantages of using pikes.

Thanks I'll run this past our Meroe researcher. I know he has looked at all the primary source material including Strabo. The passage says: "They soon fled, being badly commanded, and badly armed; for they carried large shields made of raw hides, and hatchets for defensive weapons; some, however, had (kontous), and others swords."

Going off my own knowledge base, kontos is the word used for the heavy cavalry lance that was popularized by the Parthians (the Macedonian/Successor sarissa was much longer and thinner), so we'll have to study this carefully. I do know that word use changes over time and so we'll have to take a look at how kontos is used elsewhere in the 1st century AD to see how likely a traditional foot pike meaning is. Strabo was writing in Greek and obviously had perfectly good words available to him for the pike, but I'm sure we'll find an answer one way or another with enough digging

Ok, some quick poking around hasn't cleared things up entirely. Kontos is indeed usually reserved for cavalry, but (for a yet unknown reason) when Strabo uses it is generally translated as "pike" and when Arrian a century later uses it for Roman infantry it is clearly a one handed spear (maybe longer than usual hasta?). We'll be sure to give this question the careful study it deserves!

edit: Lucian (2nd century AD) also gives the kontos to infantry but again it is not clear what he means (λογχοφόρον καὶ κοντοφόρον) - a heavy non-throwable spear fits better than pike here despite some past translations (the passage is talking about two bodyguards and a true pike is almost laughable in the hands of a single man).
    Last edited by Roach; November 01, 2014 at 09:55 AM.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

I dont think Strabo relates to the pike we call "Sarissa", but to the average spear. Spears were a common weapon in ancient Cush, not only for low tier warriors but even for qores (Kings/Queens), as we can see on several reliefs. However, these spears were only between around 1,7 m and 2 m long.
    What also speaks against sarissas is the fact that Strabo mentions that the "Ethiopians were weak organized" (Though we seriously have to ask ourselves if Strabo just tried to make the enemy of Rome look bad, as Strabo was a Roman). Upkeeping a phalanx formation definetly requires some discipline and training.

Phalanxes at all are very unlikely for Cushitic armies, as melee infantry was never the centrepiece of Cushitic armies, but their excellent archers. So i seriously doubt Meroe copied any kind of Hellenistic style warfare, even if they got decently hellenized in our timeframe.

Apropos kontos: I found a piece of pottery depicting a Cushitic rider fighting a lion, with charging at it while holding his spear just as the Diadochi and Parthian cataphracts did (Well, atleast he is holding the spear with two hands while attacking). However, in comparison the spear the rider is holding is really short.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Edit: I was wrong, this pottery doesnt show an accurate depiction of a Cushitic rider, but is rather only a 1:1 copy of a Roman pottery. Shame on me.
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; December 22, 2014 at 07:32 PM.

this should be sticky ed XD

I would like to announce that Friidrotta aka Antelope is back

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

welcome back mate

thanks magnar

I should be getting the Caucases research done by the end of FEB