Well, I am a history buff of this scenario so I know EXACTLY how it happened and how it could have been avoided... that's how I got that epic (almost 6000 kills vs 1700 losses) victory at my very first game run.

I am sure there's a big margin of improvement but as it stands the AI was very good (randomized). A historical option here with the AI would help so the player can play against the AI with the correct personality... that goes for those who haven't studied deeply the subject and who don't know who the leaders were and what their personalities were.
Most will know the personalities of the big guys but few will know the small guys whose personality is embedded in the Bdes they led.

I am a fan of the no-cheating theory for AI and any AI that reacts, rather than pre-act, is surely a great thing... and this game has it.

------
Let's go.
------

I have had problems at adapting from the right click to left click.

So left fires, double left charges, but it also is used to move troops and select units.
Apparently right is only used for map moving as opposed to the TW series but I am sure it's gonna be just some time before I adapt.

I noticed it is possible to wheel troops but I didn't understand if it's possible to give a move order that also encompasses the facing of the units at the arriving point. For example, if I want to move a Bde back on the top of the ridge I just descended, I want it to do an about face as soon as it arrives to face again the enemy who they just routed when they rushed downhill. Apparently you can build a move order that ends with the arrow facing as you want but a combination of MOVE+WHEEL would be very simple here since WHEEL is already there.
However, the BDes react to enemy presence so apparently most of the micromanagement is automated and takes care of this issue. I'd still want this though, I don't want my units to be shot in the back.

A major requirement here is about firing orders and los.

When you select an arty unit and then left click on a target, that target is somehow not visible to that unit. This is modeled perfectly in the game because of the map hills and contour lines. Even though the FOW with the proper shade setting allows you to understand LOS, you're still allowed to give an invalid shoot order (because the unit you're targeting is seen by some other unit of yours but not by the arty you have just selected), however, the red arrow flashes EXACTLY as it does when you give a rightful order to fire on a legit target and this puts the player in distress.

Maybe the move orders should be given blue arrows whereas the red arrows should only be used for firing orders. In case of a target that can't be engaged, I'd like a visual cue to tell me my order can't be carried out.
If I fire on a unit and I can't, I'd like the arrow not to flash but for a red X to appear on the target. It appears that combat units given illegal orders to shoot move in range to execute it but this is not happening with the arty. And that's how it should be. You need to move that arty manually in the right spot but if you give an illegal firing order, the player must know it can't be carried out as soon as the order is given.

I think we do need sidestep orders to keep the lines properly, since we don't have (and it's only proper because they didn't use it) the ability to handle individual formations (but we should be able to use group formations to select reserves).

We also need a fallback order that allows troops to fire and take 10 steps back, then fire and take 10 steps back and so on. The same is for a step forward order. When you're winning, you want to close on the enemy. Fallback is something, withdrawing is something else.

An order to step forward 10 steps, fire, then step forward 10 more steps and fire would also be awesome (and it IS in place for other games of this kind. Believe me, I've played all of them). We could also use an order that makes troops keep their facing but reach the closer (ahead or behind) cover they can find. Let's find a way to help the player micromanage these critical tactical decisions, the right way is the order and the AI doing it for us. Another very critical order missing is the march on the road. Troops need to be attached to the roads somehow to walk faster and go less fatigued, the control of the roads was extremely important but we can't really let the player build movement arrows manually so that the troops go on the roads, especially if roads don't give such benefit.

A nice thing here would be to model individual gun types and arty types so that the weapons in order could be made effective in combat. Some guns are more reliable or faster to reload or more accurate. Speaking of accuracy and troop/gun types, we need the zouaves and the sharpshooter units (I am just over the 1st battle so I don't know if these troop types are in). PLEASE add some more smoke. It would also be nice if buildings caught fire when hit by the arty (just graphical goodies, not that important).

I'm also thinking of a few separate mini-games that are missing.

1) Captured arty.
2) Ammo/supply carts.
3) Entrenchments.
4) Couriers.
5) Prisoners.

I didn't mention generals being killed bc Darth said it's in the making.

I'm sure the 1) will come when the time is proper and I also hope that individual guns can be destroyed. Guns treated individually not just at the "unit" type level.

2) The most interesting thing here is that if a Supply unit is created with a Cart sprite, the player should be allowed to move it close to the batteries and to the combat troops to actually resupply them. This is a game in the game that both sides had to play and this is why roads are so important. Some terrain is IMPASSABLE to ammo/supply carts.

3) If the map currently has no physical cover, other than pre-built, I hope somehow troops will be allowed to use cover built on the go. While trenches were used the ability to use a stonewall is critical but this is not truly visible on the map. Those spots should be more visible and troops standing idle should somehow be allowed to build a very limited cover type in time when in wooded areas. Stonewalls not only add to cover but also to fire rate and accuracy because rear lines reloaded under cover and front lines shot while resting the muzzles on solid surface.

4) Interestingly, this could also be implemented with relative ease with just a sprite that occasionally gallops from the leader to its troops. I am not saying it should work like in SoW (which is: 1 order = 1 courier), I said OCCASIONAL but a delay to the execution of the order given to an individual unit should be applied according to the distance between the leader and the unit itself. The ability of the leader and skill of the individual unit should modify in positive (or negative) this delay. It's a concept dated back from Conquest of the Aegean. Again, this delay should also be modified according to the control of the roads.

5) In view of the fact prisoners and shattered units had to abandon supplies and ammo on the field, modeling even a simplified post-battle algorithm would mean the world to the confederates before the next day started.

These tips and new feature requests I'm giving, I don't generally write in public, however, since Darth deserves all the best for what he did for our community (and I can't be more willing to help him be successful in the future), I PRESUME this is not over. Should these things be built they can be PORTED to future games that use this engine and this is exactly why I'm mentioning those 5 points which are not just limited to the american civil war scenario. Use your imagination and read 2). This not only allows you a mini-game in resupplying but also another mini-game in using your cavalry to capture those carts. And you know what happens if those carts are lost to the Union? Yes this is a What-if game. Another thing I love.