Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Update v1.0 beta - info leaks and sneak peaks

Default Re: Next Update v0.601 Hotfix

What a strange thing... I took forever to download from chrome up to the point of me cancelling it at 19MB after an hour.

But lo and behold I tried it through Iron Browser (independent offshoot of chrome) and it's going at a reasonable speed. I just started and it's at 100MB already. Weird...

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by hnbdgr View Post
    What a strange thing... I took forever to download from chrome up to the point of me cancelling it at 19MB after an hour.

But lo and behold I tried it through Iron Browser (independent offshoot of chrome) and it's going at a reasonable speed. I just started and it's at 100MB already. Weird...
    I guess I shouldnt mention that a new version will be up today

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    If realism is the name of the game, is it at all feasible to control exactly what armies the AI recruits (to a certain extent)?
    Mostly with (to use the outdated phrase 'civilised' factions. But taken literally those that live in urban classical polities.)

Okay, example Roman faction recruits (polybian era ) general, and gets basis of consular legion, the only options then are what socii the AI can recruit to fill the slots.
    The same can apply for a Hellenistic faction, Greek, etc
    This way you do not have to face endless armies of leves.
    With regards to Barbarian (use here is in the classical sense) a tribal chieftain automatically would get his warband.

Is any of this feasible or indeed make any sense?
    It is possible to influence what units the AI recruits and we are working on adding templates to those factions which are not currently building good armies to help them build better ones.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Not just influence, but dictate- as in recruit general and get four of each principes, hastati, and two triarii plus 2 equites. Then option to recruit whatever Socii

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Not just influence, but dictate- as in recruit general and get four of each principes, hastati, and two triarii plus 2 equites. Then option to recruit whatever Socii
    Ah that would require scripting but would be possible. Also I imagine it would have a decent negative impact on performance. I was discussing this exact idea with miri82 last night.

Hi Magnar,

ok so I downloaded the SF version, enabled in mod manager and disabled the other VV mods(steam ones). I've also downloaded VFX pack for some reason.

The chargers are still pretty weak. Initial charge in a wedge formation causes 2-3 casualties.... Also If you don't put the horses in a wedge they literally cause 0 casualties to a cohort( charging from the back) even though that cohort is engaged with infantry. On a side note my suebi warriors are dying like flies to the legionaries. I'll have to check this thing again tonight.

OT: Do you know of any way to get good AA in this game? Last time I checked it's just that native FXAA which is horibble.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Magnar View Post
    Ah that would require scripting but would be possible. Also I imagine it would have a decent negative impact on performance. I was discussing this exact idea with miri82 last night.
    A worth while sacrifice in performance in my opinion, just imagine getting to fight a proper consular Roman army or Hellenistic kings army every time, it would be great

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Just tested and now starting to implement a huge tactical change to battles.

Javelins will now cause temporary damage to a units shield defence and shield block chance. Heavier javelins (Pilum, Longche, Soliferrum) will have a greater impact on shield stats than the lighter javelins (light javelin, framea).

This will give a more tactical importance to javelins. Think about hitting large shielded units with javelins then pelting them with slingers while they are removing the javelins from their shields.

We will ofc have to nerf javelins a bit to balance this as well and it will be in the next wip hotfix update later tonight for those eager to see it in game

Nice Magnar... now, if we make javelin precursor, our unit charge will be more powerfull??...i mean..will be easiest to kill enemy after a javelin wave.

I have the same thinking than you....but we need scripter even just to think to implement this in game.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Miri82 View Post
    Nice Magnar... now, if we make javelin precursor, our unit charge will be more powerfull??...i mean..will be easiest to kill enemy after a javelin wave.
    yup exactly.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Currently uploading the latest version of the wip hotfix

Decanus

In terms of realism, I think the latest R2TR release is really getting it right. Armored troops can hardly move at all now, their run speed is actually a fast walk. This reflects the heavy, burdensome weight of armor, shields and weapons - if troops were to run for any serious distance with all this they would certainly collapse from fatigue. Therefore Total Realism has the actual run restricted to only the charge.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

http://ftp.rta.nato.int/public/PubFu.../MP-056-09.pdf
    http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent...text=smhpapers

Here are a couple of papers on the impact of carrying weight on various activities while carrying loads.

Those carrying extra weight are clearly slower but definitely not restricted to only walking.

Hey Magnar,

Did latest version get uploaded to sourceforge? Seems like it's still the update from the 13th.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by MattyCakes View Post
    Hey Magnar,

Did latest version get uploaded to sourceforge? Seems like it's still the update from the 13th.
    Ah cheers for pointing that out, not sure what happened. Will re upload in a sec after i finish this last change.

Decanus

Certainly running is an important element but 1. ancient armor would be far more burdensome compared to modern equipment 2. these ancient military units are moving in formation which is the larger rationale, on the part of R2TR, for its restricted movement.

It does seem that running would have had its place also outside of the charge but any extended distance would surely cause strain and disruption to the formation. I think an alternative to what TR is creating is to vastly increase fatigue applied to running infantry. Admittedly, my initial observation was lacking but experiment with some TR custom battles because he is creating something really special. Provoking the enemy in to an attack and then reacting with a keenly formed battle line is everything. Artillery has become a wicked powerful yet chancy strategical option. Missile units must be carefully attended to because infantry has a harder time catching cavalry - this makes creating a more complex IE: cavalry defeating battle formation, a must.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by La Tene View Post
    Certainly running is an important element but 1. ancient armor would be far more burdensome compared to modern equipment 2. these ancient military units are moving in formation which is the larger rationale, on the part of R2TR, for its restricted movement.

It does seem that running would have had its place also outside of the charge but any extended distance would surely cause strain and disruption to the formation. I think an alternative to what TR is creating is to vastly increase fatigue applied to running infantry. Admittedly, my initial observation was lacking but experiment with some TR custom battles because he is creating something really special. Provoking the enemy in to an attack and then reacting with a keenly formed battle line is everything. Artillery has become a wicked powerful yet chancy strategical option. Missile units must be carefully attended to because infantry has a harder time catching cavalry - this makes creating a more complex IE: cavalry defeating battle formation, a must.
    Once we have implemented a unit spacing overhaul then we will have unit spacings also impact on unit speeds further for close formation units.
    Last edited by Magnar; November 15, 2014 at 07:38 AM.

I think tha running without disrupt ancient formations was perfetly possible. Today we can see marines runnig...or with fast pace at the same rithm. All singing their funny song for mark the same step at running.Officers in ancient ti es i think that could do the same with her unit. May be levies or barbarian they cant...but trained units why not

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Its been reuploaded now.

Unless anyone finds anything not quite right with the current hotfix, it is pretty much how it will be for release.

So let me know what you think of the hotfix version (speak now as the next update after this wont be till the end of the year of early next year)
    Last edited by Magnar; November 15, 2014 at 09:46 AM.