Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Update v1.0 beta - info leaks and sneak peaks

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Next Update v0.601 Hotfix

Quote Originally Posted by La Tene View Post
    I forgot to mention that my shield wall formation for the few factions I had played was producing reduced melee stats.
    Its only temporary reduction in melee stats while the unit forms up. After a few seconds once the unit has formed up the stats will improve.

Your units are like delicate flowers. Put them into formations, water them and patiently watch them blossom into fierce fighting machines.

Hi,

I tried this on regular battle difficulty and my 4 heavy germanic cavalry(with spears) were only able to break a single roman legionary cohort after a looooooong battle of charging there and back. Each charge caused like 2-3 casualties to the cohort, at 240 men per cohort this takes a long time.

Also the legionaries have no spears (just pillum) - how are they able to defeat charging cavalry like that? Their morale was also super fanatical and tough to break. I'm not getting the mechanics behind this, I'm sorry.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by hnbdgr View Post
    Hi,

I tried this on regular battle difficulty and my 4 heavy germanic cavalry(with spears) were only able to break a single roman legionary cohort after a looooooong battle of charging there and back. Each charge caused like 2-3 casualties to the cohort, at 240 men per cohort this takes a long time.

Also the legionaries have no spears (just pillum) - how are they able to defeat charging cavalry like that? Their morale was also super fanatical and tough to break. I'm not getting the mechanics behind this, I'm sorry.
    We removed he significant AP values and replaced them with smaller values for more realistic damage vs armoured units. That means heavily armoured and well trained units like roman legionaries are significantly stronger.

Light cavalry is generally not that great at charging.... however i have noticed a problem with their stats a little which I will adjust for the next version of the wip hotfix though id imagine in wont make too much of a difference.

Although the pilum was also used against cavalry when needed. It was almost 2m long after all.
    Last edited by Magnar; November 13, 2014 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnar View Post
    We removed he significant AP values and replaced them with smaller values for more realistic damage vs armoured units. That means heavily armoured and well trained units like roman legionaries are significantly stronger.

Light cavalry is generally not that great at charging.... however i have noticed a problem with their stats a little which I will adjust for the next version of the wip hotfix though id imagine in wont make too much of a difference.

Although the pilum was also used against cavalry when needed. It was almost 2m long after all.
    Thanks for the quick reply magnar. I noticed in DEI The Legionaries can enact an anti-cavalry defense formation if they still have at least one pillum left. Their stats change when they do that. Perhaps a similar system could be implemented?

I reckon light cavalry shouldn't have much impact on armoured legionaries to be sure. But this was the heaviest germanic cavalry available - they had spears, heavy helmets, shields, etc. with them, though units were described oddly as heavy melee cavalry, not shock cavalry. Perhaps it's because of the spears I thought they would be good at charging. I reckon an amount of 10-15 men killed/wounded/knocked out during a headlong charge by these guys would be realistic. Deaths wouldn't necessarily result from piercing the legionary, just knocking him down with kinetic force and trampling him. Easily done when you've got 80-120 heavy horses charging.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Did you charge from the front, rear or flank?

Did you charge from the front, rear or flank?
    All Four sides, but mostly 2-3 sides at any one time however. I will try again tonight and make a video.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

All Four sides, but mostly 2-3 sides at any one time however. I will try again tonight and make a video.
    also waht difficulty are you playing on>?

also waht difficulty are you playing on>?
    First I tried hard, but for the next one I tried normal. I didn't see that much difference... But no worries, I'll recheck everything in the evening and see if i can post a vid and screens of mod, version, difficulty etc.

I haven't played the hotfix version yet but I noticed cav charges to be largely ineffective as well. Not only against legionaires but light units such as skirmishers. Seems even light cav should be able to ride skirmishers into the ground.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

New wip hotfix version has been upload with changes 1-108 included.

Please post all feeback in this thread.

I tried the mod today for the first time with since I Was waiting for the hotbox to come out first and I must say so far I really like the mod. I did notice one glitch since I have been playing custom battles all day. If you choose custom for the amount of money You can spend on an army and also choose large armies so both armies can have 40 units in them it always says someone is over budget and won't let you start a game the only way you can use a custom a amount of fund is if you only play with 20 unit armies.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Grizwald714 View Post
    I tried the mod today for the first time with since I Was waiting for the hotbox to come out first and I must say so far I really like the mod. I did notice one glitch since I have been playing custom battles all day. If you choose custom for the amount of money You can spend on an army and also choose large armies so both armies can have 40 units in them it always says someone is over budget and won't let you start a game the only way you can use a custom a amount of fund is if you only play with 20 unit armies.
    I think you need to re-choose the armies if you go to custom. It worked for me at least to reset the AI army and remake it.

So I really wanted to try it with the hotfix but it's going at snails pace from sourceforge, do you have a mirror for it magnar?

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

So I really wanted to try it with the hotfix but it's going at snails pace from sourceforge, do you have a mirror for it magnar?
    Sorry mate, its the only upload place for the hotfix, I'll probably be updating it daily and my upload rate is too slow to put up multiple download sources

New wip hotfix version has been upload with changes 1-108 included.

Please post all feeback in this thread.
    Can I continue my previous hot fix campaign when downloading the new one or do I have to start over?

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni View Post
    Can I continue my previous hot fix campaign when downloading the new one or do I have to start over?
    you can continue your old one.

A couple of small things may change though.

I tried remaking the armies several times and even changed factions I also tried changing the amount of money allowed and I couldn't get anything to work for custom funds on the 40 unit setting in custom battles. It just always says when I scroll over the play button that one army is over fund limit or something like that

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Grizwald714 View Post
    I tried remaking the armies several times and even changed factions I also tried changing the amount of money allowed and I couldn't get anything to work for custom funds on the 40 unit setting in custom battles. It just always says when I scroll over the play button that one army is over fund limit or something like that
    You clicked the reset button on both armies and it still didnt work?

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

If realism is the name of the game, is it at all feasible to control exactly what armies the AI recruits (to a certain extent)?
    Mostly with (to use the outdated phrase 'civilised' factions. But taken literally those that live in urban classical polities.)

Okay, example Roman faction recruits (polybian era ) general, and gets basis of consular legion, the only options then are what socii the AI can recruit to fill the slots.
    The same can apply for a Hellenistic faction, Greek, etc
    This way you do not have to face endless armies of leves.
    With regards to Barbarian (use here is in the classical sense) a tribal chieftain automatically would get his warband.

Is any of this feasible or indeed make any sense?
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; November 14, 2014 at 03:22 AM.