Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Bugs & Feedback

Decanus

Default Re: Bugs & Feedback

Ya that was definitely an issue, it was a river crossing battle so I couldn't have my troops oriented to face the missile fire. Even still these spartan hoplites are expensive and replenish slowly. In all honesty the only rational option for me is to start recruiting tons of missile units.

Since Patch 16 my Rome II Vae Victis won't start.

Yup, we'll have to wait for Magnar to get back from galavanting about "real life" for the weekend to take a look at what in the DLC is causing the issue. I have a friend who is having the issue even without mods, so no clue when this will be resolved.

I think bonus damage from spears against cavalry needs to be upped. During a siege last night it took 2 units of camillian princepes and a unit of triarii about ten minutes to rout a unit of heavy cavalry surrounded from all sides.

I think the balancing of the units is getting better, but I have one thing in mind, with the sarissa phalanx overpowered.
    Tried out a few battles with sparta vs macedon. Spartan hoplites with 4 units of citizen cavalry, were against 4 units of pikes (the second one, I don't know their names).
    So they are pretty base units and the AI recruit these phalanxes.

The thing is with phalanxes is that they cannot be flanked, as if you do, the whole unit will turn direction in 180 degrees in 2-3 seconds!!
    This is unrealistic, as they could turn only very slowly. The frontal damage is okay, but like this they are invincible.

What I suggest is to prevent the unit to turn if they are already engaged, and if they are attacked from the back they should die much more easly, as in real life they could not fight back properly.

Yes, that is a very annoying game mechanic from vanilla that we haven't managed to solve. In real life, turning 180 degrees took a lot of time. We have historical accounts of Macedonian pikes not being a factor in battle because they were busy changing their facing.. by the time they were ready to fight the rest of the army had been defeated.

We'll keep looking to see if a solution exists.

Trying to put together a Bithynia AAR but I've run into the same problems others have. Pergamon came at me with a majority Slinger army and their pikes are quite tough when flanked or caught from behind. This makes battles against them unreasonable. I'll have to start the campaign over but I'll use my spy to look and see which other factions need tweaking RE: Army composition.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

EDIT: As far as I can tell it's just Pergamon in Anatolia. Cappadocia, Armenia, Colchis, and the Seleucids seem to have normal amounts of skirmishers. Colchis and Pontus a little more so than the rest. I'm guessing this will be tweaked per-faction as you guys go along.
    Last edited by MattyCakes; November 26, 2014 at 11:46 AM.

Pergamon really shouldn't have pikemen as they never used them, as transaction hasn't been overhauled yet it's probably why they still have them. Same for why they have large Salinger armies.
    Balbor

Former Creative Director
    Former Head Unit Modeller and Texture
    Fourth Age:Total War

Decanus

I've got many missile heavy armies coming out of other factions too. They are dirt cheap and over powered. Ruined this mod for me.

I agree with La Tene & MattyCakes, too many skirmishers in the AI armies. I do not believe that there were more than 1/5 skirmishers in any army of ancient times. I use 3/20 (3 skirmishers or archers, 12 infantry, 4 cavalry & 1 general).
    Also, 18 turns for a town to surrender to besiegers or fight in the open is far too long. I would prefer to go back to the original number of turns.
    Last edited by Lannes1; November 29, 2014 at 09:48 AM.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

If you see a faction with too many missile units please write the faction name here so we can check them out and fix em.

255 BC Rome vs Athenai : Athenian army in garrison included 13/16 skirmishers : 5 peltasts, 3 akontistai, 1 slingers, 4 hamippoi.

Quart Kadast (I spelled it incorrectly, I know--Nova Carthago) has a garrison of 9/15 skirmishers = 3 slingers, 6 peltasts, 6 spearmen.
    Last edited by Lannes1; November 30, 2014 at 03:29 PM.

Also, I've bought the Nomadic Tribes DLC and the Pirates & Raiders DLC. Are they playable within Vae Victis?

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Lannes1 View Post
    Also, I've bought the Nomadic Tribes DLC and the Pirates & Raiders DLC. Are they playable within Vae Victis?
    the factions are playable and some units may be available but only temporarily. When the mod is finished all vanilla and DLC units will be removed.

At the moment, I'm using bullgod_magnarunitcards. What can we expect in terms of unit cards? Will you do a new and complete set in bullgod style, or what?

i've had a look at Pergamon Basic AI army template, they have 1 Default_land_cavalry_melee, 2 Default_land_cavalry_shock, 4 Default_land_infantry_missile 9 Mag_land_infantry_light (Peltasts and thureophoroi), 2 Default_land_infantry_melee, Default_land_cavalry_missile

As it may not be able to recruit Peltasts and thureophoroi at the start it probably goes for slinger. Hopefully when the faction is overhauled they get access to those units and recruit a balanced army... same goes for all factions really
    Balbor

Former Creative Director

At the moment, I'm using bullgod_magnarunitcards. What can we expect in terms of unit cards? Will you do a new and complete set in bullgod style, or what?
    I'm currently working on new bullgod style units, but there is a lot of them and bullgod himself has not made new ones in a long time so I'm limited to what I can do
    Balbor

Former Creative Director

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

The mod will use Vanilla unit cards until e we get someone to make unique ones for the mod.

Balbor's bullgod submod as he said is still there for those that prefer that style of unit card.

I've updated the bullgod_magnarunitcards to Vae Victis now, although I've not had a chance to do the Parthian units yet
    Balbor

Former Creative Director

Hi Guys. My "problem" is the AI factions build only the first row poor units + many slingers or javelinman .They not build high prior militia barrack anyhow. its ok if poor factions have 1 willage territory, but not if they mayor factions with walled city.
    example: Massilia build only levy freemen barbarian armies, ALL barbarian build only levy spears( lugoae)+skirmishers, Carthage,Syracuse army run with full slingers... ( They build more likely temples, not a military barracks.
    maybe in later time? i playing arround 50 turn with Rome. thx&sorry my english.