Thread: A larger campaign map, perhaps?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default A larger campaign map, perhaps?

First off, I just want to say this mod looks amazing! Clearly a lot of hard work has gone into it so far, modding the units and everything else. It's a true achievement. I also love the time frame, since you almost never see mods covering this period of very late antiquity / the beginning of the Dark Ages.

However, I'm a bit disappointed by the fact that the set of regions shown in the campaign map are so limited, geographically speaking. Justinian tried to rebuild the Roman Empire not just in Italy and Sicily, but also in North Africa, Sardinia, Corsica, the Balearic Islands, and the Iberian Peninsula (Spain). The latter two aren't even on the campaign map! Also, the game might be steeped in actual history, but it is up to the player to decide how far and in which direction to expand the empire. In that regard, what about Western Europe? The former Roman territories in what are now France, Spain, the British Isles, Belgium, the Netherlands, and much of western Germany are left out of the campaign map entirely.

I know the whole emphasis of the mod is literally "East of Rome," but what if a player wants to move west as well and truly reunite the empire as it once stood at the height of the Principate era in the 2nd century AD?

I hope that someone has ideas for creating a sub-mod for this game in the future, to include a much larger map that includes the whole territory of what the Roman Empire once held at its height. Until then, I'll be content with De Bello Mundi I suppose.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Default Re: A larger campaign map, perhaps?

This mod has stagnated for so long that I doubt if we will ever get around to seeing the "grand" campaign map. Besides for Alkimachos, the rest of the team has disappeared into the Void. Disappeared in the sense that I cannot even get in touch with them via Skype or Steam.

The grand campaign map (it was completed a long time ago with starting positions and everything, most of the factions just have not had any work done on them) is meant to accurately depict the "environment" of Justinian during the period and to show that the center of the Roman world lies on the Bosphoros as opposed to Italy. There is a tiny little area for a Frankish faction in the extreme SE of France but they're there simply to make any conflict in Italy all the more interesting. As what transpired historically in Italy, the Gothic Wars only served to prove that Italy and Rome was a devastated area that no longer held the center of the world's attention. Extending the map to England, Spain, and the rest of France would simply undermine this, and take the campaign's focus away from Justinian and Belisarios. I hope that I'm making any sense at all.

Anyway don't get your hopes up, unless the EoR team is rebuilt from scratch, the campaign will probably never see the life of day.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    First off, I just want to say this mod looks amazing! Clearly a lot of hard work has gone into it so far, modding the units and everything else. It's a true achievement. I also love the time frame, since you almost never see mods covering this period of very late antiquity / the beginning of the Dark Ages.

However, I'm a bit disappointed by the fact that the set of regions shown in the campaign map are so limited, geographically speaking. Justinian tried to rebuild the Roman Empire not just in Italy and Sicily, but also in North Africa, Sardinia, Corsica, the Balearic Islands, and the Iberian Peninsula (Spain). The latter two aren't even on the campaign map! Also, the game might be steeped in actual history, but it is up to the player to decide how far and in which direction to expand the empire. In that regard, what about Western Europe? The former Roman territories in what are now France, Spain, the British Isles, Belgium, the Netherlands, and much of western Germany are left out of the campaign map entirely.

I know the whole emphasis of the mod is literally "East of Rome," but what if a player wants to move west as well and truly reunite the empire as it once stood at the height of the Principate era in the 2nd century AD?

I hope that someone has ideas for creating a sub-mod for this game in the future, to include a much larger map that includes the whole territory of what the Roman Empire once held at its height. Until then, I'll be content with De Bello Mundi I suppose.
    It's called East of Rome, the focus of East of Rome is, you know East of Rome. I'd rather play a mod that sticks to the subject and fleshes it fully ratter then a mod that spans from India to Iceland for the sake of having a map that size. You can play what you like of course, but it's a little insulting for you to say what you've said.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by War lord View Post
    It's called East of Rome, the focus of East of Rome is, you know East of Rome. I'd rather play a mod that sticks to the subject and fleshes it fully ratter then a mod that spans from India to Iceland for the sake of having a map that size. You can play what you like of course, but it's a little insulting for you to say what you've said.
    Insulting how? If you find any number of my comments here insulting, then you are far too easily insulted. I thought I was being downright polite.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    This mod has stagnated for so long that I doubt if we will ever get around to seeing the "grand" campaign map. Besides for Alkimachos, the rest of the team has disappeared into the Void. Disappeared in the sense that I cannot even get in touch with them via Skype or Steam.

The grand campaign map (it was completed a long time ago with starting positions and everything, most of the factions just have not had any work done on them) is meant to accurately depict the "environment" of Justinian during the period and to show that the center of the Roman world lies on the Bosphoros as opposed to Italy. There is a tiny little area for a Frankish faction in the extreme SE of France but they're there simply to make any conflict in Italy all the more interesting. As what transpired historically in Italy, the Gothic Wars only served to prove that Italy and Rome was a devastated area that no longer held the center of the world's attention. Extending the map to England, Spain, and the rest of France would simply undermine this, and take the campaign's focus away from Justinian and Belisarios. I hope that I'm making any sense at all.

Anyway don't get your hopes up, unless the EoR team is rebuilt from scratch, the campaign will probably never see the life of day.
    As i have a big interest in this period in history and am a big fan of Justinian and Belisarios- i would really appreciate it if you could provide the finished and complete BIG map. Maybe i could work on adding the Rosters then, and in some time make it playable.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal