Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Ahh seeing technological advancements in the papers and on the internet, whether it be quantum computing, gene therapy, renewable energy, or self driving cars! Each day is like the anticipated wait for Half Life 3, with the exception being that the former may not come out fully in our lifetime yet has the guarantee of coming out eventually.
    "牛鬼蛇神的文字" by Fu Sinian on Chinese characters.
    ("A Cow Demon and Snake God's Writing System")

"汉字不灭,中国必亡" Lu Xun also on Chinese characters.
    ("If Chinese Characters don't die, China will perish")

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I'm firm and steadfast in my belief that Half Life 3 has never, nor will it ever exist.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

They couldn't make Half Life 3 even if they wanted to. The hype is far too great and anything they put out will be seen as underwhelming and disappointing.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

They definitely wouldn't be able to continue it from where it left off.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

I wouldn't mind a mediocre half life 3 just to answer some questions and act as a jump off point followed by Half Life 4 which is the real entree after getting feedback.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I don't even know what Half Life is. Isotopes?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

The greatest FPS series in the history of video-games. Halo wishes it was that cool.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

I am a heretic, I didn't like the story of Half-Life 2 as much as i liked the original Half-Life.
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    The greatest FPS series in the history of video-games. Halo wishes it was that cool.
    Is it? Is it really though? Like if you really think, is it really? Two games and a couple of expansions released a decade ago, are they truly the cream of game's collective milk?
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

If look beyond the mere surface and graphics (though HL 2 still manages to look better then the newest CoD due to the art style) yes they are the best fps games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Is it? Is it really though? Like if you really think, is it really? Two games and a couple of expansions released a decade ago, are they truly the cream of game's collective milk?
    It is like a rare steak with only salt and pepper as seasoning, some freshly made fries, a fresh crisp salad, and a glass of red wine. Its not a 10 course fusion cuisine dinner paired with soybean infused sake.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Hello all, long time no see. Anything major happen since I was gone?

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

TWC definitely going to hell.

LITTLE DIATRIBE

If I want to download a mod I go to mod db. (I guess steam users use steam). I guess here you can get more information about a mod, but if in the end you are going to download it from mod db (or steam) you can save the step of coming over here.
    If I want to see some serious (I mean reasoned and informed) discussions about politics (or games probably, though I do not frequent those subforums), TWC is not the place. For stupid arguments I already have twitter (where otherwise people can talk with almost total freedom instead of limited by some rules any minimally experienced person can bypass).
    Here there are as many imbeciles as anywhere else, but here some morons act as if they are super important because they wear (sometimes only god knows why) badges.
    There are many other places to talk to friends and see funny conversations/videos/memes/.gifs etc.

LITTLE FAQ

Q: Why are you complaining?
    A: I have just given my view about the current situation of this site.

Q: Instead of complaining, why dont you do something to help?
    A: Kudos if you want to "help" creating valuable content, helping with the administration of the site, with moderation, etc. That said, each one of us, for the mere fact of being registerd users, we are helping the site, and it would be ridiculous that the administration demanded its users some compensation in the form of active help.
    Last edited by mishkin; September 08, 2016 at 06:49 AM.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    The greatest FPS series in the history of video-games.
    GoldenEye?

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Since when is that news? It's been going downhill since Rome 2, at least.

Patrician

Please show me a graph, preferably a line graph. But if it is a parabola I swear I will go ape . No offense to Harambe.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    GoldenEye?
    If we're talking series - actually even if we're not - then surely you mean Timesplitters?

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

LITTLE DIATRIBE

If I want to download a mod I go to mod db. (I guess steam users use steam). I guess here you can get more information about a mod, but if in the end you are going to download it from mod db (or steam) you can save the step of coming over here.
    If I want to see some serious (I mean reasoned and informed) discussions about politics (or games probably, though I do not frequent those subforums), TWC is not the place. For stupid arguments I already have twitter (where otherwise people can talk with almost total freedom instead of limited by some rules any minimally experienced person can bypass).
    Here there are as many imbeciles as anywhere else, but here some morons act as if they are super important because they wear (sometimes only god knows why) badges.
    There are many other places to talk to friends and see funny conversations/videos/memes/.gifs etc.
    Interesting because I finally started to migrate my mods to ModDB. I will keep up both locations, however. For the time being, ModDB is not conducive for modding teams to coordinate. TWC still offers the most ideal means of communication. Steam is just horrible. Convenience and ease is steams best selling point. An entrepreneur with a keen eye towards the modding community could probably develop something that has the best of all worlds. I think TWC has relied on "content" to drive this site and now content is far less important due to the rise of youtube video bloggers who share their tips and experiences. The new generation likes that. TWC own channel has gone into inactivity when it should be thriving with content. An opportunity is being lost. It is also possible that TWC can explore and promote vlogging, but then again, it is not. TWC could also promote modding as a community, but modding is taken as a given and slowly most activity is taking place elsewhere. The CC areas are active, but long time members at an increasing rate choosing to move on.

There is a certain attitude that has increased over the past two years that a "badge" equates to expertise and that they "know better." The community has learned not to question, so they do not. There is a deadly combination of self- righteousness and learned apathy.

Q: Instead of complaining, why dont you do something to help?
    A: Kudos if you want to "help" creating valuable content, helping with the administration of the site, with moderation, etc. That said, each one of us, for the mere fact of being registerd users, we are helping the site, and it would be ridiculous that the administration demanded its users some compensation in the form of active help.
    Hostility and indifference repeated in many different ways!

Patrician

Those games were before my time and I wasn't allowed to play shooting games until I was like 15 or 16. I mean other than Star Wars Battlefront 2 and the nagging was constant. I was supposed to feel guilt for shooting an AI on the screen, sometimes they were robots so how does that figure into the equation? It didn't guns = bad no matter what you use them for. And now I use my time to yell at people on the internet instead of shooting up public spaces so I guess something was gained.

Oda =/= Elliot Rogers

As a kid, my mother was against violence and anything "devil related."
    My classmates can watch shows like S.W.A.T and Black Sheep Squadron and I wasn't. One Christmas my dad managed to give us plastic toy machine guns. One day we found them broken in half in the trash. I also couldn't listen to KISS or AC/DC (Album Highway to Hell). Fortunately I had two good friends that loved each of those bands and I listen to them all the time.