Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Prussian Campaign: Victory or Death!

Default Re: The Prussian Campaign: Victory or Death!

Chapter 2 Section 1

“General Blucher? Ummm sir… We aren’t actually going to do this are we?”

“We aren’t actually going to do what colonel?”

“Ummm… Charge into that huge mess of troops across the border?”

“What do you think?”

“Well I think I know what you think we are going to do but…”

“NO BUTS! We are waiting for the courier from our Saxon agent. After the way is clear diplomatically we shall clear the way militarily.”

“But shouldn’t we bring up the Prince’s army first? I mean his men are A LOT more experienced and everything…”

“Colonel.”

“Yes?”

“Just shut up already.”

“Uhh-“

“Look! We ARE going to do what we ARE going to do because I said we are and we sure as heck darn well ARE GOING TO DO THIS! So put a lid on it! … And get back to your men. Our diplomats are very efficient I see. We shall show them we are even better than they are.”

“Yes sir. I still wish we could do this with our first army though. But you are right! If our diplomats can break the ties between Saxony and Austria we can welcome Saxony into Prussia!”

Chapter 2 Section 2

Diary, I have worrying news from the borders. It seems the Prussians are going to try to get their armies together to try to crush Saxony. The Prince’s force was spotted perched on the border 3 weeks ago before it headed north and east- towards a second Prussian army perched on the main road from Saxony to Berlin. The only good thing about this is that this second Prussian force is much less experienced. Though there are rumors that the Prussian’s leading general called Blucher is leading this army. It sounds like there should be an interesting fight anyway, as I do not doubt Prussia’s intentions. Ah well that’s okay. Austria shall join Saxony and together they shall erase Prussia from the map! If only those Prussians would just declare war already… That said though, the Saxons are prepared to go to war by themselves if need be with 40 different units amounting to over 3,000 men it should be a breeze if the pathetically small Prussian force does decide to attack by itself. Perhaps I shall go to see what is going on diplomatically. There is little action now that the bridge is safe… No, I must stay at my post with my men. I can send a courier though… That’s what I will do!

-2 days later-

DIARY!!!!!! I have jaw-dropping news!! And horrid news at that… The Austrians have been persuaded by the Prussian diplomatic bastards to break their alliance with Saxony! This guarantees a Prussian attack! I just hope my courier with my warning arrives soon enough to be of some preoperational use.

Chapter 2 Section 3

“Gentlemen! Today is the day! Today is the day we show the world the worth of Prussia! Today we march on not just part of a large army. We march knowing we shall face all the forces our enemy could possibly throw at us. And I have news! Apparently a certain someone has been providing the Saxons with an idea on how to fight us. This someone was from Oldenburg and he fought in the cavalry. He led their troops in the second half of the day. He somehow managed to escape to Hessian territory and fought us there as well. He managed to escape a second time and managed to get into Saxony. He is now commanding one of their cavalry squadrons. We were unable to find out exactly which one but we do know he is not in the capital- meaning he is going to be one of the later reinforcements the Saxon army is expected to receive. The whole point of my telling you is this: We cannot allow this man to escape for a third time with even more knowledge about our tactics! I want every single cavalryman brought down today.”

“Wow I for one am impressed. This one guy has managed to get away repeatedly?”

“… Yes. I want a complete encirclement of the city ASAP once the main battle lines are engaged! Though your primary role will still be to finish taking out the enemy artillery fear not, depending on how the battle is going I will deploy some infantry to assist you in encircling the enemy forces. … Provided of course the Saxon’s cavalry hasn’t already been wiped off the face of the earth. But that’s the artillery’s job. So are we all agreed?”

“Yes sir! Don’t worry sir, unlike the Prince’s army we actually HAVE a plan to take this informant out!”

“Humph. Well I will admit it does feel like I am cleaning up his mess. But we shall not just clean it! We shall finish what the Prince started today!”

-1 hour later-

“Psssst. Pssssssst!”

“Yes?”

“People Respect Us Such Super Intelligent Agents.”

“Ah, the very person I was waiting around for. Hello agent. What do you have for me?”

“The latesssst intel on the Sssssaxon army. And that the trap isssss sssset.”

“Ah very interesting. You are sure that this is correct?”

“It isssss barely a half-hour old, and it takessss thesssse Sssssaxons a whole hour minimum to break camp- we have timed them the last 10 weekssss.”

“Very good. Thank you and take good care of yourself. We cannot afford to lose such a distinguished agent.”

“Relax, I will be well covered. My friendsssss in thisss region are very good.”

“Good. I am most glad. Take care now! The battle will start very soon.”

Chapter 2 Section 4

“Gentlemen! Today we fight for ourselves! We also fight for our lost city-states, the city-states of Germany! Prussia has declared war and is currently marching right at us! They have few numbers while we have many. Some may say that numbers do not count. But that is not the case here! These Prussians are not veterans of war! They have almost the same experiences you do! And we outnumber them two to one!”

*HUZZAH!!!!*

“I have already sent for the remainder of our great army to join us! Together we shall obliterate our enemy! The Prussians have no chance! We shall overwhelm them at the North Bridge!”

*HUZZAH!!!!*

“Now I give these orders to you all! MOVE OUT!!!”

*HUZZAH!!*

-15 minutes later-

“Okay people! Here’s the plan! We hold them at this ford and at this bridge. With our superior artillery numbers we shall bludgeon them until they are literally forced to come at us across the ford and bridge. They won’t stand a chance.”

“General, this is my first time fighting the Prussians at a river crossing, but I do think we should be cautious. The name of their game is to have their artillery knock us all to kingdom come and then after our infantry advances they respond with well-timed musket and canister fire. This seems to be playing kind of right into their hands if you know what I mean.”

“Nonsense! My plan is genius and incorruptible! As I said we have more artillery pieces, therefore we have the advantage. And my infantry has already put up anti-cavalry barriers to help protect from any initial Prussian cavalry charge.”

“You don’t understand the accuracy of the Prussian artillery!”

“Maybe you’re the one who doesn’t understand! We aren’t facing the Prince! We are facing Blucher with a bunch of new recruits! His men have only a little experience!”

“Regardless their experience, Blucher is the one who was responsible for teaching the Prince! He is bound to know how to help out his own troops to even up the odds or he wouldn’t attack us by himself!”

“… Look. We have every advantage. And I anticipate a glorious victory for Saxony!”

“Hear hear!”

“Woohoo!”

“Yeah ease up Oldy! We have all the cards!”

“Well your right, you do at least seem to be holding all the cards. Anyway regardless what I think I am still your colonel general. So where am I to be posted?”

“You will pair up with Lambert and Faust here near the bridge, once your unit arrives. Until then Faust will hold with the 2nd and 5th artillery batteries and 3 line infantry regiments. After you arrive, receive your orders from Faust. If Faust goes down then Lambert is in charge, and if he also goes down you are in charge of our right flank. Do NOT lose the bridgehead on our side! The ford is where we shall press our main attack with the remainder of our forces, but don’t worry I will keep a few extra infantry regiments on call nearby for the right if need be. I will be in the center with them and the 1st and 3rd batteries. I am not taking any chances, you will see.”

“Sounds good!”

“Hear hear!”

“Alright you lackawits! You heard the general! Arty commanders dismissed! All those not given orders, line up to receive them! Move it!”

Chapter 2 Section 5

“Sir! It seems the enemy is preparing to hold here, here, and here. Mainly concentrating on the center and bridge areas sir.”

“And did you find out where our Oldenburg informant is to be posted?”

“Not exactly sir. But we do think that our best guess is that he was assigned to hold their side of the bridge area under a local commander once his unit arrives on the field.”

“Well then we had best deploy then mustn’t we?”

“Yes Sir!”

“Alright, tell the commanders to form up- and NO MISTAKES! We will play cat and mouse. They may think we are the mouse, but I think the tips our artillery officers received should outweigh the Saxon cat so much it will soon turn into the mouse!”

“As you say sir!”

“Very good. Now MOVE!”

I am pretty happy about this situation. I thought the Saxons would put a little more effort into trying to get me into an open field battle. Their preference for the river shall be their undoing- though it does hinder my plans for catching that dratted informant… Perhaps if… no, I will need all the men I have on this side of the river. *BOOOM BOOOOM BOOOM BOOOM* Ah, good! My artillery has opened fire! I hope they are following the advice I gave them…

-20 minutes later-

“Sir! Its not working!”

“What’s not working soldier?”

“The enemy! They aren’t moving! This plan isn’t working!”

“Relax. Give the artillery some time.”

*Knock Knock*

“Yes?”

“General, an artillery officer to see you sir!”

“Very good. Show him in. You may leave and get back to your post now soldier.”

“Ummm… Yes sir!”

“The report from our batteries sir!”

“Hmmm not bad… could be better… AHA! I knew this would happen!”

“Sir?”

“Our artillerymen are gaining experience at actually hitting what they are shooting at- I like this report! I may frame it!”

“What would you title it though sir?”

“I would title it: The Most Guns Taken Out In the Shortest Amount of Time.”

“Well I am glad your pleased with our performance, though I will say at least the enemy artillery are relatively standing targets.”

“Then it is time you get some moving ones I think. This is all very good, now you need to kill as many enemy cavalry as you possibly can!”

“Ummm… but shouldn’t we move to-“

“Sergeant! Don’t talk about it! DO it!”

“Sir yes sir! Moving to target the enemy cavalry right away sir!”

Hmmmm… I don’t like these casualties. But as was pointed out, the enemy did have more guns. I wasn’t expecting the enemy to move them so close though! And at least only one infantry unit is being targeted besides our artillery… these Saxons really suck at firing a cannon! Don’t they know they are supposed to get off a shot every 90 seconds or less? Even raw artillery students can best the Saxon firing rate of 1 and a half to 2 flippin minutes to load and fire a single gun! What luck we have today that they are so pathetic, or they could really be causing some serious damage…

Chapter 2 Section 6

“Alright! Lambert, those Prussian arteries have the nerve to target us! I say we take ‘em out!”

“Sounds good enough reason to me! Where’s that Oldy fellow? Wasn’t he supposed to be here by now?”

“Sirs, beggin yore pardon but I believe that’s the squadron your alookin fer?”

“Hmm- why yes actually! Hey Oldy! What’s the holdup?!”

“Sorry! We had a fair amount of ground to travel! And the left flank just got their cavalry mostly chewed up.”

“Bastards! Alright charging formation!”

*ZOOOOOM THUNK THUNK THUNK*

*AHHH CRUNCH THUNK SCRITCH FWOOM*

“Ya know what I think those Prussian cannonballs says all the time when they flyin by Oldy?”

“No, what?”

“Where-is-yuh-where-is-yuh-where-is-yuh-KABOOM! That’s what I think they say!”

“Well I can certaintly see where you could get that idea. But whats the kaboom for?”

“Well when it finds who it’s lookin fer obviously!”

*THUNK THUNK AHHHH THUNK FWOOOM*

“Alright you! Cut the chit-chat and lets ride!”

“Wait, what are we-“

“CHARRRRRRGE!!!!!!!! FOR SAXONY AND THE INDEPENDENT STATES!!!!!!”

-Meanwhile-

“Yeah! That’s it! Give it to em! Keep moving them guns! That’s it!”

“Hey you! What did you name your gun again?”

“Torpedo! What’s yours?”

“Quickie! Wanna have a competition to see how many Saxons we can kill while under orders?”

“Sure!”

“Hey! Don’t forget about us!”

“DUDE! That’s not even YOUR gun! It’s THEIR gun!”

“Well THEY are all DEAD!”

“Whoa dudes! I’m still alive aren’t I?”

“Oh WHOA! I thought you were a goner man!”

“Yeah man, you were like totally knocked out! We thought you were dead!”

“Very funny! And MY gun’s name is Stinger! You lot are helping so you can be the new crew of the Stinger!”

“Alright so we agreed then? Whoa the Sacks are charging! MOVE THE GUNS!!!”

“Oh just quit your worryin we ARE angling the guns to account for speed, wind, and all that nonsense jazz. I wanna see who can kill the most Sax cav!”

“Yeah total competition for total war! That’s the way to fight!”

“Everyone do your best! FIRE!!!!”

“HEY GREENIES! COME TRY US OUT! WE WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO LOAD YOUR CARCASSES WITH A HEAP OF CANISTER!!!”

“Whoa wait up, I thought they were the whites? Or mebbe the whities? Or mebbe-“

“Dude. Everybody knows the term is Greenies because it makes sense, it spells correctly, and over half the Saxon flag is green…”

“Grammar Nazi!”

“What’s a Nazi?”

“I dunno. I thought you knew.”

“Hey captain-“

“SHUT YOUR TRAPS AND CONCENTRATE ON FIRING!!! THIS GUN IS 15 SECONDS BEHIND SCHEDULE!!!!!”

“Sir yes sir!”

“Right away sir!”

*KABOOOOOM*

“WOOT! Beat THAT shot Torp and Q! The Stinger is IN THE HOUSE! Betcha can’t beat that shot!”

“Bet we can!”

“Yeah I bet we can do it this shot!”

“Dudes, did you see how many Stinger just took out with that one shot of theirs?”

“No. How many did they-“

“THEY TOOK OUT 10 SAXON CAVALRY TO MAKE UP FOR THEIR TIME LAPSE BECAUSE THEY WERE JAWING TOO MUCH NOW MOVE IT!”

“YES SIR!”

Chapter 2 Section 7

“Lambert! It’s not too late to call off this charge!”

“What are you nuts?”

“Lambert! We just lost 10 good men including Faust!”

*KABOOM*

“Wha-“ *CRUNCH*

“Oldy your in charge! You want us to back out? We are almost to the bridge, which will give us plenty of cover!”

“Well- No, we will finish this! CHARGE!!!”

-Meanwhile-

“ALL GUNS STOP FIRING! Let’s let the infantry have their barrel shootin!”

“Yeah that’s right arty! Let us have some fun!”

“Kind of ye! Thanks a heap of ammo!”

“All infantry get ready! Fire on my order!”

“Bull! Snipers fire at will!”

“Line infantry HOLD!”

“HOLD!”

“AAAAAAAAAAAAND- FIRE!!!!!!!!!”

*CRACKLE SNIP SNIP AHHH EY-*

“Line infantry fire at free will!”

“Hey snipers! Let US kill some!”

“Don’t lookit me, I’ve only killed 1 so far.”

“Still not fair yall have more range than we do!”

“Why do you think we are called snipers?! We are supposed to have range and accuracy on our side!”

“Still not fair!”

“I DON’T CARE IF YOUR EVEN STILL FIRING CUT THE CHIT-CHAT YOUR EMBARRASSING ME BY MAKING ME SHOUT LIKE A FLIPPIN’ ARTY OFFICER!!!! JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN’T HEAR MY ORDERS AT THE REGULAR PITCH MEANS YOU SHUT UP- YOU DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES KEEP TALKING!!!!”

“Yes sir!”

“Yep you got it sir!”

“Looks like those cav over there are pretty ticked off colonel.”

“Well how happy would you be to have about 270 men taking pot shots at you? I for one enjoy the opportunity to barrel fish! Now shut it and keep firing! Prepare for square on my order!”

-Meanwhile-

“Almost there! Where do you want to go once we ge-“

“Jackson!”

“Hey boy I tole ya them cannonballs had it out fer us! Same with their bullets!”

“We go straight for the line! But then the gap between them and those snipers! CHARGE!!!”

“SIR LOO-“

“Corporal? CORPORAL!”

“We are lo-“

“We can m-“

“BWAHAHAHAHAHA! DIE YOU SADISTIC PRUSSIAN WUSSIES!!!!”

-Meanwhile-

“CAVALRY CHARGE! DRUMMER NOW NOW NOW!!!!”

*RATA RATA RATA TAT TAT TAT RATA TAT*

“Line infantry charge!”

“Snipers, HOLD THE LINE!”

“CRAP! ARTY PREPARE TO FIRE! HOLD! JUST POSITION THE GUNS! HOLD!”

“FOR THE SNIPERS! CHAAAAAAARGE!!!!!!”

“Huzzah! The Cuirassiers are here!”

“Snipers! COUNTER CHARGE!!!”

“REPOSITION TO COVER THE ENEMY BRIDGEHEAD! FIRE AS SOON AS TARGETS PRESENT THEMSELVES!”

Oh dear why did they have to all charge at me? I am just a poor young sniper in the Prussian light infantry regiment posted here for cryin in a bucket! Ooooh lookit that! One of the enemy cavalry has a different uniform on! Maybe he’s the general? Looks like it has some weird colors on it though it does have some green and white-

“Hey Oldy! Shouldn’t we prepare to get the heck outta here?”

“No! Keep driving them back!”

“ENEMY CUIRASSIERS AND LI-“

:O Oh my goodness! He’s that Oldenburg fellow we were ordered to kill on sight! Dang, my gun isn’t loaded- oh well here goes nothing.

“DEATH TO THE OLDENBURGIAN!!! CHAAARGE!!!”

“What the heck? Uh oh. Sorry sir. Protect our officer! CLOSE RANKS!”

“That’s kinda hard to do since we are e-“

“EVERYONE FALL BACK THAT’S AN ORDER!”

Oh I gotcha now Oldy! I’ll get myself a sweet promotion outta this one! Helped to kill two other cavalry and now our cav and line are almost to you! Wait their falling back?! They can’t do that! I must get to him before he can flee! Bastard’s cleared all the guys in my unit that were even close to him- hes pretty good at wielding that saber. Not like my unit hasn’t injured him though. Looks like he’s got a pretty busted up arm and a couple bullets in his horse and a couple in his left leg- can’t see his right though. Perhaps one of the snipers from the other side will bring down the guy’s horse? No, they just got told to stop firing atm or they’ll hit us. Great. Whoa! This cav guy has a serious problem. I can barely get outta the way of that stupid sword! WOOT! Broke his thigh bone! Now for the finishing touch! Pick up the guy’s sword and- WHOA! Oldy just came over. This is NOT how this was supposed to go! He’s turning back around, trying to get in range- that ought to do it! Sliced open his horse’s leg! Yep horse went down! And now we shall mob him! Perfect!

“OLDY IS DEAD! OLDY IS DEAD!”

“HUZZAH! REVENGE FOR OUR FALLEN! THE LIGHT INFANTRY HAS WON THE DAY! HUZZAH!”

“WHAT?! HEY LIGHTS THAT WAS OUR JOB! NO FAIR!”

“TOO BAD SO SAD! LOVE YOUR HELP THOUGH WOULDN’T HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO IT WITHOUT YA! WOOOOOOOOT!!!”

“GENERAL BLUCHER WE DID IT!!!!!”

-Meanwhile-

“Run! Run for your lives!”

“Retreat!”

“RUN!!!!”

“LOOKOUT!”

*BOOOOM BOOM BOOOM KABOOM*

“RUN FOR ALL YOUR WORTH! THEIR ARTY IS TARGETING US! RUN!”

“SPLIT UP, GIVE ‘EM LESS OF A TARGET! AND R-“

“General, all our cavalry has disappeared sir. Well there are a few horsemen left on the battlefield but they are running away as fast as their horses can carry them.”

“Very well. Do we know the fate of our commanding cavalry officers?”

“No, the cavalry do though. I suspect they lost all their commanding officers- they’ll be lucky if even 7 of them make it out of range of the Prussian artillery.”

“From 135 to 7. Do you know how terrible that is?”

“Well-“

“Regardless. Full infantry assault. Send 5 regiments to the bridge at double time- they may be able to catch the enemy unawares and disorganized. The rest I will lead against the ford. It is time we finished this.”

“Yes sir!”

Chapter 2 Section 8

“-And then the Saxons did a full out infantry assault. It was pretty tight at the ford, but the bridge was fine. The infantry, cavalry, artillery mix was perfect. Right after their forces at the bridge was defeated, I sent a squadron to finish off the enemy artillery and my remaining fresh troops to support the ford- which needed it let me tell you. The enemy almost broke through. But the reinforcements arrived in time and ended up routing the remainder of the Saxon army. After that it was just pursuing the remaining elements of the shattered Saxon army and totaling a hastily put together citizen militia. After we were finished taking control of Saxony, we finished calculating the casualties of both sides. The Saxons lost a little over 4,000 men at a cost of 200 of our own. Not bad eh?”

*APPLAUSE AROUND THE WAR CHAMBER*

“Excellent work Blucher! I had faith in you but- HA! Those Saxons should have just surrendered! Great job minimizing your casualties!”

“Oh please, it was the river that did all the work. After that it was the artillery. They are quite efficient now. I believe some of my crews may be beginning to lessen their time in between shots even!”

“Well you can label me VERY impressed! Blucher, I didn’t even know you could do something like that! That’s awesome! Could you go over your tactics again with me? Pllllllllease?”

“Of course my Prince. I am just happy that we managed to get that Oldenburg informant. Turns out that one of my light infantry units took him out, though after losing about 30 men I figure they were due for some payback.”

“Ouch! 30 men?”

“Well yes, but they weathered a charge by 3 separate enemy cavalry squadrons.”

“Well I guess that’s ok then. But perhaps you should be more careful?”

“HEY! In YOUR first battle you lost twice what I did in light infantry! Don’t lecture me on MY light infantry when you can’t even protect your own!”

“Hey now it’s cool Blucher, I was just commenting that that was a lot compared to the rest of your casualty list.”

“Well you can cool it. So what’s next?”

“Well obviously what we agreed on before. Denmark must be added to our territory, heal up your army and prepare to board the disguise. Once you are in position we should not have any problems annihilating their forces and gaining two more ports.”

“Alright sounds good. Perhaps we shall start boarding in a month? By then I should have a complete army.”

“Done. Good luck all. We shall keep you posted on the diplomatic side of things.”

Chapter 2 Section 9

*POUND POUND POUND POUND*

“Whaa-“

*POUND POUND POUND POUND*

“Can you just shut up already? Even a king needs his… *Yawn* sleep…”

*POUND POUND POUND POUND POUND*

“SIR URGENT MESSAGE WE NEED THE WAR COUNCIL NOW!!!!!!!”

“Wait, hold on-“

“Dammit to hell! Sir if you don’t get your but down to the war chamber this instant there isn’t going to be any Prussia left!!!!!!!!!”

*BANG POUND BANG BANG BANG POUND*

“DO YOU HEAR ME?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!”

“WAIT WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!!?!?!?!?!”

“GET UP YOU LAZY CLOD YOU HAVE WORK TO DO IN THE WARCHAMBER IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

“ALRIGHT!!!! I’M UP FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD!!!! STOP YELLING LIKE AN IMBECILE!!!!! HOW DARE YOU CALL ME THOSE THINGS!!!!! YOUR GONNA PAY FOR THIS IF THIS ISNT SO EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT I MYSELF NEED TO GET OUT OF BED AT ONE IN THE MORNING!!!!”

*Opens door- whispering commences*

“Uh huh. I really don’t see why- WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!?!?! Dammit man why didn’t you wake me earlier?!!!!!!!?!?!?!??!! Get all my generals and my son OUT OF BED THIS INSTANT!!!! Clear the war room, and fetch us a whole barrel of coffee- we are gonna need it tonight!”

-2 minutes later-

“Your majesty WHATS THE RUSH?!?!”

“Yeah I know right? We weren’t supposed to convene the whole council until next week?”

“And your lucky as a fish that escapes a net that I am here, the Prince too. What is going on?”

“If you would all just SHUT UP AND LISTEN UP THEN MAYBE YOU WOULD FIND OUT WHY I HAD YOU ALL ROUSTED OUT OF BED AND DRAGGED DOWN HERE AT 3 MINUTES AFTER 1 O’CLOCK!!!!”

“… Alright, fine.”

“Dad, I don’t care what this is about this isn’t cool-“

“I SAID SHUT IT!!! WE HAVE A MILITARY EMERGENCY!!!!”

“Wait- WHAT?! What military emergency?!?!?!!”

“Prolly some soldier who peed in uniform- I’m going back to bed!”

“General H you get your but back in here!!!!! And SHUT UP ALREADY!!!!”

“But-“

“SILENCE IN THE RANKS!”

“… Thank you Blucher. Now that I have your attention and hopefully you all are wide awake let me deliver the news I just received only minutes ago from the French diplomatic party.”

“What do the French have anything to do with-“

“H! Will you just SHUT IT already!!!!”

“Anyway, as I was saying: The French have apparently grown uncomfortable being next to a united Prussia. They have therefore declared war on us.”

“WHOA!”

“DUDE THAT IS A SICK JOKE!”

“ARE YOU NUTS?”

“ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!”

“Yes Blucher I am serious. No, I am not joking. And no, I am NOT crazy. Read the declaration of war yourselves.”

“Ohhhhh man…”

“This isn’t good…”

“Well thank God we didn’t embark our troops yet!”

“Bloody right. This isn’t going to be pretty.”

“Why couldn’t they have waited 3 months! We would have been ready then!”

“Yes, thankfully we didn’t embark our troops yet. Also thankfully Blucher’s army hasn’t left Saxon territory yet.”

“I don’t see how that’s a good thing father.”

“Well perhaps you need to revisit the military academy then. Look here. Blucher, if you march to Cleves, using this road you can effectively protect our entire southern border that is under threat right now. And by going to Cleves you will be in position to help our entire border.”

“That is a good idea. But what about Hanover? There IS a French army there and its in the middle of our territory AND it has quick access to Berlin.”

“That’s where you come in my son. Since your army is in port near Mecklenburg its only a short march to Hanover. Once you get there, take the city. Then you need to move your army to Cleves as well.”

“What of France’s allies? Have they decided to join the fight?”

“Not yet, thankfully. But that doesn’t mean they won’t.”

“So we know France is going to send armies at us. What about Spain and Holland?”

“Spain isn’t much to worry about right now. They seem to be content to keep to themselves for the moment. That said, our southern border needs to keep a sharp eye out for them just in case. Holland, however, is very worrisome. They have over 4,000 men in two armies that are pretty experienced. If we wait for them to declare war and attack though- what do you think?”

“I think we should just attack. We have destroyed armies this size before.”

“But not this experienced.”

“Who cares? We have a couple pretty experienced armies ourselves.”

“Are you forgetting gentlemen that we are also fighting the French? We cannot spare more than one army to face Holland.”

“Yes your right-“

“No you’re not! If we blitz them they will fall!”

“H, give it up. You know just as well as I that the French will attack us in at least a one pronged attack if not using two or three armies in different locations.”

“I want to FIGHT ALREADY!!!! Give me an army!!! I’ll wipe out Holland and add them to us, just give me the chance!”

“Your majesty? H does have a point. It’s rather pointless just having him sit around here twiddling his thumbs and teaching the odd lesson to raw recruits. We need him in the field.”

“While I am unsure if I really want to give you your own army H, I will say I believe that- provided of course you don’t destroy it in battle- you would be of more use having your own army. I shall set in motion the creation of the Third Prussian Army- perhaps in a month you could have a preliminary command to help secure the southern border.”

“But-“

“No buts! We are vulnerable the most on our southern border! You will help us defend it until you have a proper army. Then we shall go on the offensive!”

“Okay so that clears up what Blucher and H are doing. What about me though? I mean, I know Hanover and then onto Cleves, but…?”

“Garrisoning the city would be best. Wait for Holland’s main army to strike, then crush them. After almost half their force is gone they will be easy prey for you.”

“But what if the French come up from the south as Holland comes from the north-west?”

“My son, one can always if oneself to death. It still does not do anyone any favors.”

“But lets look at this logically. If Blucher garrisons Cleves while I take Hanover it will buy my men some time to refit and replenish. I don’t know about you but the French are supposed to be pretty good, and they do have a full army in Hanover. I am bound to lose at least 50 men in a regular fight, men that will need to be replaced before we begin our counter-attack.”

“Very well. You bring up some good points. Blucher, garrison Cleves and move based on the enemy’s attacks. H, your job will be to cover the old Hessian territory by ambush here, that way you will be able to watch the main road. Our Prince shall move from Hanover once he is victorious and his army is replenished. After that we shall counterattack. All agreed?”

“Yes sir!”

“You bet father!”

“Yes sir. Now can we go back to bed?”

“… Provided you don’t mind letting the enemy get a headstart on everything sure.”

“Well if I am going to take Hanover in a day or two I need sleep. Good night!”

“I’m going to get my carriage to get back to my army tonight. Speed is essential.”

“And I’m going to… go to bed. Goodnight all.” *Yawn*

“As am I. Right after I write up some orders for the academy and battery schools…”

“Well good luck on that! I’m going to B-E-D! See you tomorrow!”

“Sounds good H. Good night.”

“Don’t stay up too late father!”

“I won’t, just got some business to do. ‘Night son!”

“’Night dad!”

Chapter 3 Section 1

“Seems as though the war is going well, eh?”

“Yes minister it does. I wish that the rest of the war council would actually keep me in the know about what the dickens they are doing though! All I get to know is when to send more soldiers, the need for more spies, the need for better technology, the need for funds and militia to update the newly acquired territories, and every once in awhile I manage to get my hands on something as supposedly ‘trivial’ as a casualty report! The lack of information getting back to me is RIDICULOUS!!!!!”

“Well your son and the other generals are quite busy I am sure. It is puzzling though that they haven’t sent you any reports lately.”

“Oh I get reports. Yes, I get reports of us winning the war by conquering territory. Otherwise I DON’T GET ANY NEWS!!!! If the Treasury Minister didn’t keep me up-to-date on the accounts I wouldn’t even know which territory is ours and what belongs to France and her allies- I wouldn’t even know what’s remotely going on!!!!!!!!”

“Well like I keep saying, you could just go get together with your generals. Start a long-distance correspondence system maybe?”

“Our researchers are working on that. They’ve been working on it in fact for MONTHS by now! They say they will be done soon, but I don’t know. They said that about Dialectics, and look how long that took.”

“Hey, I’m surprised it took them that long too. It’s now the beginning of fall, and this war started… How long ago did it start?”

“… It started over ten MONTHS ago. And the war council still hasn’t met yet! For about as long!”

“Well I’m sure everything will be alright-“

“Look! I need to go think someplace quiet! I appreciate you trying to cheer me up but its just not working right now.”

“I understand your worry for your son and friends-“

“Thank you minister. I am sorry but I must insist. I’ll see you though for dinner perhaps?”

“It’s alright sir, I understand. See you tonight!”

Chapter 3 Section 2

“Alright. The sneak attack failed.”

“I can’t believe we lost over 1,500 men just because we didn’t realize our intel was lacking! It’s a disgrace!”

“At least we didn’t lose any of us. That would have been terrible.”

“No your right. Instead we lost a great five-star general worth more than our entire trade income for the next 10 years! Yeah, that sounds like great news H! Let’s have a party!”

“You want a piece of me?”

“Whatcha gonna do about it? You’re the one who lost over 500 men in a single battle! I haven’t even lost that many and I managed to face Napoleon twice!”

“Yeah, but put your lists together and you come pretty dang close to topping me!”

“Oh yeah? Come over here so I can show you a few of your teeth!”

“Maybe I will just to teach you a lesson you spoiled little runt!

“Who are you calling spoiled? You shouldn’t even have been promoted to a general!”

“Whoa whoa! BREAK IT UP YOU TWO!!!!”

“Why should we?”

“Yeah why?”

“Because just MAYBE we are supposed to be fighting the French INSTEAD OF EACH OTHER!!!!! Now zip it and sit down. NOW!”

“Okay fine.”

“You aren’t the-“

*Fwoom*

“If I need to use force to keep you two southern DUNDERHEADS in line I will! We need to talk strategy. And we need to do it NOW, not next week! The whole purpose of these meetings away from Berlin is so that we can actually DO something instead of spending weeks away from the front lines! If you want to strangle someone make sure it’s an enemy soldier!”

“Ouch! That hurt!”

“Wow Blucher I didn’t know you could punch like that!”

“It’s called taking self-defense classes since I was four. Now can we please get down to the brass tax?”

“Okay sure. I don’t know why you got the entire northwest portion of the border to yourself but-“

“Because it isn’t that much, while our southern border was a lot worse! Now look here, I’ll start us off. My army is here-”

“Wow! As close as Belgium? That’s alright!”

“And you are at Alsace-Lorraine. H is at Provence. All French territory to the right of this line is-“

“TOTALED!!!! YEAH BABY!”

“Will you grow up and stop interrupting me?!?!?!?!?!?!”

“Sorry.”

“And all French land forces have been eradicated as well. They have a powerful fleet though which is worrisome.”

“We are land-based though. I don’t see how their fleet could possibly affect us.”

“Perhaps you’re not thinking clearly enough to realize we have a few trade fleets? If those get hit we are toast. Our income for creating new armies and improving our land-based economy and our fleet depends on them bringing us trade good which we then distribute to everyone in Europe we can reach and aren’t at war with. That IS important, and it’s why Paris has to be our next city to capture.”

“Wow, I gotta say H, I am impressed. Perhaps you should have become an admiral!”

“And miss whooping thousands of Frenchmen at their own game on land? As if!”

“Very good you two. Now look, we have a problem here. The French have over 3,000 men garrisoned in and around Paris.”

“So what? We’ve beaten those numbers before.”

“But French troops aren’t a piece of cake. And most of the soldiers the French have in Paris are some of the most elite units in all of Europe.”

“So what? They don’t even have much experience.”

“That may be our saving grace. If we could get another army-“

“That’s exactly what I was thinking! If we get another army together and get it on the north-western border to take the Normandy province here it should distract the main French army around Paris enough for us to launch a more surprising attack. With surprise on our side it is possible to perhaps win this with few casualties.”

“Let me outline the benefits and disadvantages that come with taking this though guys.”

“Alright H, go for it.”

“Benefits first: A major blow to the French as a whole, a huge increase in income, combining all our captured French territory as one, giving us the capture of 3 dockyards for building war ships, major cost decreases across our lands for structures and perhaps even artillery and infantry- don’t forget decreased naval building costs! Now for the Negatives: Major French Rebel resistance with at least one uprising expected, possible major loss of life, hardening of the French and the Spanish against us even more, and more negative effects for our diplomats to have to work through.”

“Pretty sweet list. Love the short negatives and the long list of positives! Looks like the faster we take Paris the better!”

“Hold your horses Prince. We still need to send back to your father for help to create the new army. And I think he doesn’t like us doing this all the time.”

“Oh. You got a letter or two too?”

“A letter or two! Whoa what an understatement!”

“Calm down H. Yes Prince, we both have been receiving letters constantly at this point.”

“I think if we sent a colonel from each of our armies that might help the situation and get us the additional army we need faster.”

“Excellent idea! Let’s do it!”

“I’ll send my second, you two can send your thirds.”

“Blucher, are you sure you want to send your second when you are so close to Napoleon?”

“Yeah, and he HAS been active lately.”

“Relax. I can handle a French army any day of the week. And Napoleon is in the hospital, remember?”

“Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Ohhhh that was hilarious the first time I put him in there!”

“Yeah well when do I get to face him?”

“Oh will you two get over yourselves already? Get your colonels and let’s get going! We have work to do!”

Chapter 3 Section 3

“-and that’s why we need a fourth army sent to the front.”

“I can’t believe we lost a whole army in the middle of British waters! That’s an embarrassment and a waste of good men and time and money!”

“Your majesty, I am sorry but-“

“But nothing! … Fine. You will get your army. This time though it had better stay on dry ground! And you tell your commanding generals that too! By the time France is defeated I expect a full loooooooooooooooooooooong 365 day war council session!”

*Gulp*

“Sir yes sir!”

“Dismissed.”

Chapter 3 Section 4

“Wow. Excellent work you three. Now we will finally have the manpower we need to close the noose on the French! How soon is the army going to come?”

“Well the King wasn’t overly specific on that detail. I think the earliest we can expect it will be in a few months.”

“Why a few months?! I don’t understand this. Doesn’t the king realize time is growing short? Its already 1707 for cryin in a bucket! We don’t have forever here!”

“I believe he mentioned some new type of elite Prussian infantry. Apparently they take forever to train up. And he mentioned some sweet cav too, but they also take a month to train up by themselves.”

“What a disgrace. How are we supposed to attack and finish off the French if we can’t even get another army from Berlin?”

“I know. Napoleon already tried to head down to Provence.”

“Yeah, it’s a good thing you blocked him in time my Prince. My army wasn’t ready to face such numbers after two large battles.”

“Don’t mention it. I was just happy to help keep the border secure.”

“Oh colonels?”

“Yes general Blucher?”

“You may go now. We’ll see each other soon enough.”

“Very good sir. C’mon chaps, let’s go get some grub!”

“MMMMMMMM! Gotta love good grub!”

“Right behind ya! Thanks general!”

“You’re welcome.”

“So now that we know we are going to get a pretty sweet new army at the front here… what do you think we should do with it?”

“I don’t know. We were planning on using it just to mop up the remaining northern French provinces but perhaps it should face Paris.”

“The only downside to that is the fact that even if they are elite they sure aren’t experienced.”

“Yes that’s a problem. We could just have the army do what we wanted it to do in the first place. Then once France is eradicated we can put it on the frontlines in the Iberian Peninsula.”

“I like that idea.”

“Yeah me too. Only thing that’s going to be a problem are those two islands in the Med.”

“Oh the French and Spanish?”

“Yeah, we’ll have to launch a landing- I just don’t know if we can get close enough to escape the French and Spanish blockades.”

“While its true they have a lot of ships… If we can build a small trade fleet we could use them as assault vehicles to get us onto dry ground. Once we are on dry ground we can’t be easily defeated.”

“Trade fleet?”

“What he means is that the trade ships are faster and on the whole better to run a blockade than any of our other ships… not that we have any other ships besides trade ships…”

“But what about-“

“Look, the French have about twenty warships the last we counted in the northern waters. They have only about five warships in the Med at the moment that we can see, though they do have a lot of trade vessel fleets. The Spanish are mostly in the Gibraltar area, so if we build a small fleet in Provence we may be able to slip by.”

“Oh I gotcha. That sounds a lot better.”

“Yeah no kidding. These hostile countries must be taken over completely. Like the king said, there can be no peace with these men. Napoleon attacked us before, he has done it again. Therefore we must eradicate the French government and absorb their territory into our own. We don’t like threats.”

“Still the king doesn’t like naval landings much after we lost that whole army in British waters.”

“Yeah makes no sense why the British have a powerful fleet and all they do is sit there off the Parisian coast.”

“Maybe they want to try an amphibious landing themselves?”

“With only 15 units? That would be crazy.”

“Not just crazy. It would be suicide. 3,000 to 1,000 isn’t even a fight.”

“Not against the elite French forces in Paris it isn’t.”

“Yeah, well the British suck anyway. I wish they would just land their stupid army so the French can attack it, annihilate it, and we can take Paris.”

“Now that’s an idea!”

“… One that won’t work. It’s alright gentlemen. We can still win this thing hands down.”

“Yeah, nothing like mustering over 4,000 Prussians to spank over 4,000 French fries.”

“What are French fries?”

“I don’t know, don’t ask me.”

“Look its just an expression.”

“Oh wait a minute! French fries are like potato spears deep fried after the skin’s peeled off!”

“I prefer potato spears.”

“Yeah me too, more Prussian.”

“Because of the two P’s?”

“No you silly! Because Prussians like potato spears because they are spears, not fries. Whoever heard of someone dying to a fry?”

“Good point.”

“Where were we?”

“Uhhh…”

“I don’t remember. Let’s just go grab some grub. We can’t do jack until that new army arrives anyway.”

“Alright! Grub time!”

“There had better be potato spears…”

Alright. Finally caught up to the in-game action. In case yall were wondering, chapters represent years. Enjoy!

Great news! I have (finally) figured out the whole screenshot thing. Now all I need to do is figure out how to get them onto forums...

Next update should cover two more battles (both surprisingly against Prussia's worst enemy atm) as well as an up-to-date map of Europe as well as political and technological updates. Now that the semaphore lines are completed it should be easier to record what is happening.

Also possibly the biggest battle of the year (if not the decade) happening soon, let us hope our Prussians are ready!

Chapter 3 Section 5

I am so glad that there’s finally some movement going on on the French side of this border. It was getting rather boring to be honest. My men have been in peak condition for weeks! This Belgium territory is all rather nice but I long for the battlefield.

Last I heard the Prince had to block off Napoleon’s access to H down in Provence. Then he marched almost all the way back from Provence territory almost to Alsace-Lorraine to cover his own region of the border as Napoleon almost beat him to it! Perhaps Napoleon will engage the Prince for the third time? It’s a rather sad thought. I mean, I AM the head general of the Prussians and yet I haven’t even faced Napoleon yet. Of course, H hasn’t either. I just wish there was something to do besides send out patrols and scouts.

Our spy network is firmly in place thanks to our cultivation of turning research facilities into training grounds after most of our technological achievements have been researched. The gentlemen in charge of research say that there are only a few more topics left militarily and economically. I am so glad that they invented the semaphore lines of communication. It’s a lot faster than the old rider system. It should also make communication easier- though catching that French spy while he was trying to cut our communications with the capitol definitely helped on that front.

*Knock Knock*

“Sir? A message for you.”

“Hand it over then. … Thanks.”

“Is it good news sir?”

“Depends.”

“On what?”

“On whether you like the tidings that Napoleon will be here with his army within the next two hours, probably a lot less though.”

“What happened? I thought that the Prince had Napoleon outmaneuvered?”

“Only as far as Alsace-Lorraine. Seems Napoleon decided to switch targets. Get my colonels in here pronto! We need to coordinate our defenses before he arrives.”

“As you say sir! Alright boys, let’s go get them colonels! Joshua and Turner, you stay here. Once we get outside we’ll send you some more folks.”

Well I guess it’s nice of Napoleon to oblige me. I just hope he doesn’t attack in the direction he is reportedly coming from- there’s a very imposing ridge near the town to the south but not near enough we prepared for it to be used. We were expecting an attack from the west, not the south…

-1 hour later-

“Sir! The enemy has arrived!”

“Oh dear. Just as I feared. Alright boys! We are going to have a difficult fight on our hands!”

Chapter 3 Section 6
    Battle Report to the Royal Archives from General Blucher
    Second Battle of Belgium

The enemy force was not the strongest of armies, numbering only 1,260 men. This was probably due to the fact that France has for the most part lost fully half of her territories and the vast majority of her allies. Most of the French troops under Napoleon’s command had limited field experience and were clearly newly recruited, especially his artillery. Most surprisingly of all was the regiment of militia in the ranks.

The makeup of the French force was 2 Chasseur Squadrons with limited experience, 3 horse artillery batteries with no experience, 1 6-pounder foot artillery battery with no experience, 8 line infantry regiments with limited experience, and one militia regiment with absolutely zero experience whatsoever.

The army I led into battle was much the same as it was at the beginning of this campaign. Besides myself, I had 4 Hussar squadrons with decent experience, 2 well-experienced horse artillery batteries, one well-experienced 6-pounder foot artillery battery, 4 regiments of light infantry (also designated as snipers by the men) with middling experience, one regiment of experienced skirmishers, and 7 line regiments, two of which were well-experienced (3 chevrons) with the rest having decent experience.

It figures that Napoleon would attempt to weaken my ranks through a siege. I don’t understand why he would even want to try that when the Prince is less than a day’s march away, but who knows how these froggies think? Despite the fact that the French have their camp to the south of the city, I know I do not want my ranks weakened. While I could wait for the Prince to come add his men to this fight, I do not think that that would be very wise. This could, in fact, be what the froggies want- they still have around 3,000 fresh men in and around Paris that could launch an attack on Alsace-Lorraine while the Prince is gone. Therefore, as I already decided, I marshaled my forces and moved to the attack. The main ridge was closer to my own lines than the French’s, and they were on their own smaller ridge directly to the south of the main ridge. That said, it still took quite some time for my lines to be set up properly.

After issuing my orders as to our line of battle, our battle line on the ridge was:

On my far left flank I placed my skirmishers and one regiment of light infantry, proceeding down the line to the right is as follows: one line infantry, the least experienced of my horse artillery batteries, another two line regiments, the other horse artillery battery, another line regiment, a light infantry regiment, my foot artillery, another line regiment, and my remaining light infantry. Behind my far left and right flanks I equally split up my hussars, and I put my 2 3-chevron line regiments behind my right flank, as I wanted the enemy to assault where I had my horse artillery, as they managed to reach their places before the foot artillery.

Had this been a flat field, I would have massacred the entire French force within a 15 minute period. But because of the ridge, I had to move my entire line forward at the double. In Napoleon’s typical attack style, he moved forward his entire infantry force almost as soon as my units began moving forward. I can only assume he knew of my deployment through his dratted air balloon.

While I stayed protected in town, my infantry struggled to get up the ridge before the weight of over 1,000 Frenchmen crashed into them. I began to doubt if I should have moved onto the ridge, especially the artillery. But it actually turned out alright. All my men managed to scramble into position and the artillery managed to begin firing at the oncoming French columns.

While this was happening I noticed that 2 horse artillery batteries had been left completely unguarded by Napoleon and the rest of his army. So I sent in a squadron of hussars to take care of them before they could cause any serious damage.

Their mission met with complete success, and they were not even attacked! Of course, my most experienced horse artillery unit kinda helped to take care of that by putting the enemy’s closest cavalry squadron under bombardment. Unfortunately the infantry commanders were rather befuddled due to the oncoming French infantry and so forgot to adequately protect the battery. And the remainder of my reinforcing troops had not yet arrived to support…

Out of 18 men only 5 of them managed to escape the Chasseurs à Cheval. Almost too late to be of any use, the line infantry regiments on either side of the now-fleeing unit formed square in the face of enemy infantry fire. This was enough to madden the Chasseurs, who charged bravely but stupidly right into the newly-formed square. My men refused to break, and after only a minute of fighting the few remaining members of the enemy squadron tried to flee. Only one escaped. Not every sniper is in a light infantry regiment.
    With one Chasseur down, the foot artillery brought the remaining squadron under fire. This time the infantry on either side put up such supporting fire the entire squadron of the enemy was almost entirely annihilated once they got into the proper range. Only a few Chasseurs managed to so much as get off a shot before the scant remainder fled in terror.
    With his cavalry eliminated, Napoleon moved to support his infantry assault.

…Which of course put him in the most perfect range imaginable for my line infantry, who began happily sending round after round into Napoleon’s bodyguard. Unfortunately, Napoleon managed to get away, but he fled the field without being accompanied by anyone in his entire staff. Looks like he will need to find better soldiers from somewhere in the remaining French territories.

While this was happening, my Hussar squadron behind the enemy lines took out the remaining enemy artillery pieces. The infantry fight that had been going on this whole while had been of well-disciplined troops firing at each other with neither side gaining ANY advantage. Even my remaining horse artillery unit couldn’t get the enemy militia regiment to flee until they discovered Napoleon had abandoned them.

With Napoleon and the enemy cavalry and artillery gone, the French infantry soon lost heart. My men kept up a continuous fire until every enemy regiment had shattered and then my Hussars took over, cutting up as many Frenchmen as they could find. Though we won, it was still a surprisingly close victory. Had Napoleon not fled the field, the French may have won this day after all.
    [IMG]V1.png[/IMG]
    Most of my units managed to incur some casualties, though I was happy to learn that my most experienced horse artillery battery had managed to gain even more experience and find two of their number who actually had just been given a severe knockout by the Chasseur’s gun butts. One of my cavalry units gained experience as well as one each of my line and light infantry units. Overall a very successful day. I will set about replenishing my numbers. Even though we lost 141 men I have the feeling that it was worth it insofar as to get the battle experience we need. That said, apparently we really need to work on keeping our friendly fire casualties in check!

Happily enough, out of the French army of 1,260 men only 53 managed to escape this battle. Unfortunately one of these was Napoleon. Ah well, at least Napoleon won’t show his face for a little while so that he can replenish his bodyguard.

Alas! The pics didn't turn out... even the final one... I'll have to do some research on it.

Hello again! Sorry about the long break. I kind of got majorly caught up in M&B Warband and still am caught up in RTW. Now that I should have some more time I hope to continue this. That said its very discouraging when I perfect my pics and none of them show up. I still have not continued in-game though, and probably will not until I get these pics fixed. I haven't been taking a boatload, but at least a few. So I'll continue to work on it. I need to get some gentlemen on this...

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I'm glad to see this is still going, although I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with your pictures.

I don't know if it will help, but I noticed that Alwyn has written out the process he uses to add pictures to his Irish AAR, Éirí Amach.
    You can find the AAR here. The description is under the heading "Are you considering writing your first Empire: Total War AAR...?"

Of course, you might have tried Alwyn's method already and had problems with it. In that case, I apologise for telling you really unhelpful things you already know. I hope you will be able to find a solution to your problem.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

If I may ask, what specifically is the problem that you are having? It was an interesting read so far

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12