Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pike and Shot released!

Lord Zimoa's Avatar Slitherine Games
    Citizen

Default Pike and Shot released!

Keep your Powder Dry
    Pike & Shot is out now!

Epsom, UK – October 17, 2014."Not only strike while the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking.” (Oliver Cromwell – English military and political leader)

In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for religious, political or dynastic causes. The greatest powers of that period were regularly involved in conflicts and struggles to increase their dominance over the continent. Some countries have also to deal with inner tensions and are torn apart between factions. War is in the air. But war has changed. Due to the development of new technologies, traditional medieval tactics have been substituted with a totally different approach to effectively utilise the new formations and weapons.

In these troubled times musketeers “gave fire” in a duel to the death, pikemen held stolidly against enemy assaults, and cavalry charged to glory or defeat. Players can march in the footsteps of the great leaders of The Thirty Years War, Italian Wars and the English Civil War and refight some of the greatest battles of the Renaissance. With its 30 full-sized historical battles, its random map and scenario generator, its easy-to-use PBEM++ multiplayer system and its gameplay simulating accurately the tactics of the period, Pike & Shot will thrill any history buff and fans of tactical challenges!

Pike & Shot features 30 historical scenarios that cover the main battles of three of the most important conflicts of the 16th and 17th centuries:

• The Thirty Years’ War (1616-1648)

Pilgram-Lomnitz, 1618; White Mountain, 1620; Wimpfen, 1622; Lutter, 1626; First Breitenfeld, 1631; Lutzen, 1632; First Nordlingen, 1634; Wittstock, 1636; Second Breitenfeld, 1642; Roccoi, 1643

• The English Civil War (1642-1651)

Stratton, 1643; Adwalton Moor, 1643; Edgehill, 1642; Storming of Bristol, 1643; Nantwich, 1644; Cheriton, 1644; Marston Moor, 1644; Lostwithiel, 1644; Second Newbury, 1644; Naseby, 1645

• The Great Italian Wars (1494-1559)

Seminara, 1495; Fornova, 1495; Ravenna, 1512; Novarra, 1513; Marignano, 1515; Bicocca, 1522; Pavia, 1525; Ceresole, 1544; St. Quentin, 1557; Gravelines, 1558.

Pike and Shot is developed by Byzantine Games and The Lordz Games Studio.

Today we have the pleasure to announce that the game is finally released and available on both our online stores and on Steam in. In order to celebrate this important milestone, we are offering a $10 discount to the early adopters during the week of the launch! We are also going to offer a free Steam key to anyone who bought a copy of the game from the Matrix Games or Slitherine store, once the game is available on this digital platform!

Get more information on Pike & Shot from its official product page and its live presentation on the official Slitherine Group Twitch channel.

Last edited by Lord Zimoa; October 18, 2014 at 09:18 AM.

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Pike and Shot released!

Looks fantastic guys, have been waiting for this for a while, cheers!
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

As a fan of 17th-century warfare I'd say this game is definitely a must-buy.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

I'm downloading the Game on Steam, I'm a 17th century fan and a miniature wargamer so I MUST try this, even because I'm bored with the TWGames' tactical battles and horrid AI.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

This game looks very promising, I wish I have my PC back soon

This game is awesome. Deep, yet accessible. Multi-layered tactics. The game models a lot of stuff - terrain, several weapon (& mount) types, unit cohesion, flanks, facing, firing arc, ranged, melee and charge (impact). AI is smart enough attack you where you are weak and exploit your mistakes.

Its also historically unbalanced, which is awesome. Its a breath of relief from the tiresome and stupid unrealistic multiplayer focused rock paper scissors balancing which has become so popular now in Total war.

The skirmish mode and scenario editor make it even more awesome. I even made a scenario inspired by Pelennor Fields (or Siege of Vienna if you will). So much epicness watching my Husaria rampaging through the battlefield.

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Are there any additional campaigns planned for Pike & Shot? It is a surprisingly good game, and I enjoy it much more than Battle Academy I must say. It would be truly rewarding to be able to play a progressive campaign against someone, I find this missing in the game, I hope this could somehow be remedied by modding.

Edit: @ Prith you really put into words my delight with this excellent game. I hate the trend of over-balancing and the audience's obsession with it.... there has almost never been a balanced battle in all of history or for that matter a balanced war.
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Lord Zimoa's Avatar Slitherine Games
    Citizen

It is a bit early to tell, but if the game is successful, there are more plans for the Pike ans Shot series.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi Wan Asterix View Post
    Edit: @ Prith you really put into words my delight with this excellent game. I hate the trend of over-balancing and the audience's obsession with it.... there has almost never been a balanced battle in all of history or for that matter a balanced war.
    Glad to hear someone shares my point of view on this. I cant help but blame multiplayer obsession for this trend. Frustrating for gamers who prefer history in a historical game. Anyway this is not the place to discuss that.

Glory to the Lordz.

Btw, Alea Jacta Est just released on steam I bought a second copy just to support, and because the price in ridiculously cheap at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by prithupaul View Post
    Glad to hear someone shares my point of view on this. I cant help but blame multiplayer obsession for this trend. Frustrating for gamers who prefer history in a historical game. Anyway this is not the place to discuss that.

Glory to the Lordz.

Btw, Alea Jacta Est just released on steam I bought a second copy just to support, and because the price in ridiculously cheap at this moment.
    LOL, as did I, as second copy with DLC's. I support Slitherine/Matrix as I can.

I believe your comments are not off topic sir.
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Finch's Avatar is Deadpool
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I support Slitherine/Matrix as well not only that i used to be a beta-tester for Slitherine a couple years back, like i keep waiting for a new game then luckily to be picked as one of the beta-testers.

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Watched a few gameplay and it seems to be an interesting game. One thing though, are the routed units able to go through friendly units ? And also Im under the impression relief and terrains in general doesn't change much to the fighting.
    If this game had a continuous campaign, I don't think I would give attentions to such details though. I'l probably wait for a campaign expansion, or maybe buy it on a sale.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Quote Originally Posted by Yerevan View Post
    Watched a few gameplay and it seems to be an interesting game. One thing though, are the routed units able to go through friendly units ? And also Im under the impression relief and terrains in general doesn't change much to the fighting.
    If this game had a continuous campaign, I don't think I would give attentions to such details though. I'l probably wait for a campaign expansion, or maybe buy it on a sale.
    Hullo Yerevan.

Terrain is very well done and has a key impact on gameplay... although the rules are complex and unit-type-specific.

This company is worth supporting, these games are much more stretched on their budget than our illustrious-giant friends @ CA or Sega... so I for example, albeit not a rich man, I bought the Steam and Matrix version both.

The campaign is not continous now, but the selection of battles is very rich, and the multiplayer is a very enjoyable experience for everyone.

Regarding the routing, no the friendly fire thing is not as you describe, the LOS is very important, the only controversial issue is the pursuit rule, but in my opinion having units evade and pursue adds a wonderful unpredictability for the battles... played the superd 2nd Breitenfeld three times for instance, twice as Swedes and once as the League and had three completely different outcomes and basically completely different battles.

Ok. Actually I think the pursuit/rout element is very interesting. I miss the automatic pursuing that was coming with the toggable guard button in TW. Its just that I watched at the trajectory of routed units and found it weir. But, it was only through let's play on youtube so I probably missed a lot.

Yes I agree that Slitherine publish very nice games. I ll get a closer look at this one.
    Last edited by Yerevan; November 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM.

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Excellent fun love the graphic style oh for a grand campaign.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I picked this up over the summer sale, while I haven't played a whole lot yet it was definitely worth the purchase!
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

A campaign feature will be coming out on 13th August, along with an update soon..see the Pike and shot forum for more details..........Exciting times ahead !!!http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=299
    Last edited by Stefankollers; July 21, 2015 at 04:56 AM.

Anybody played the campaign ? How is it ? The only review i found was from RPS's flare path... And the few let's play are 9/10 tactical screen ; since battles are so long, and the game has been only recently out there's not much covering the strategical scree...

Quote Originally Posted by Yerevan View Post
    Anybody played the campaign ? How is it ? The only review i found was from RPS's flare path... And the few let's play are 9/10 tactical screen ; since battles are so long, and the game has been only recently out there's not much covering the strategical scree...
    I was very pleasantly suprised by the campaign... although basic complexity is Risk-esque its fun, you can recruit your units, and the conscription/manpower/treasury cycle is a good one. Reminds me of early Koei games like Nobunaga's ambition so I am really enjoying it! The diversity is also exceptional... I am hooked on the English Civil War... already on my 4th play through. For me it was worth the outlay... and the new version improves balancing and battles

This sounds nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast