Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Viking Conquest DLC

Default Re: Viking Conquest DLC

Release date: December 2014.

Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Ahhhhh! I'm so excited I just pee'd my pants!

What a dumb decision to launch this pre-order exclusively on gog.com...

I'm so buying this as soon as it hits Steam.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Will the DLC be more 'casual gamer' friendly compared to Brytenwalda ?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Even in Brytenwalda the player has the option to disable all of those "hardcore" elements, so my guess is the answer is yes.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

It's still hardcore even after disabling them.

It's okay it all the time I have in the world can spend on playing games but unfortunately not the case.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Brytenwalda mod in the mean time until this as it's by the same devs? I only ask as I've only just got Warband recently.
    Though I'm currently playing way more WFAS at the moment so I wont be getting Viking Conquest anytime soon.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

It comes out on Thursday, pretty excited myself.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

It has been released. Downloading now!

Edit: So I´ve started the storymode campaign.Already in the beginning there is a lot of new options to set up your characters background and personality. Also some more Hardcore elements, for those who like it rough. The Tutorial is a bit tiring or M&B veterans but certainly helps setting up good immersion. Now to the map. If you´ve played Brytenwalda, you know that the map there was already big. Here it is HUGE. Way way bigger and you can zoom in much more. I also like the new city view when you visit a settlement.

Okay, back to my campaign

Guys (and Gals) I have high hopes now for Bannerlord as well. Since Bannerlord is also set in the dark ages and if the devs have taken a close look at VC, we could potentially have tons of new great features in the sequel! (Whenever it´s coming out, that is )
    Last edited by Akhenaton; December 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM.

As a history student: this is fine!! (that mission with the monastry and it's documents )
    But lag and bugs... fix.

Someone said "this is the Rome II of mount&blade. The people behind this are suprised by the bugs.. so I suppose they will find a way around
    quite disapointing not? But if they can make this stable: GOD GAME
    Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; December 11, 2014 at 06:44 PM.
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

If Rome II would have only had performance issues, oh dear

No, VC has performance issues and various graphical problems for some people, but I love the overall design of the game. It´s improved interface is great, things like wounds are clearer now, the world is rich in different locations (for a M&B game) , the mechanics of the story work well and I´m eager to see what comes once you become a ruler.

The dev team have put a lot of work and thought into this, but they are a small team and new to proffessional game development,so I wasn´t surprised by performance issues. But some people over on the TW forums have gone completely overboard with their criticism, cursing the devs and calling VC a piece of or just a remake of Brytenwalda , when it clearly is far superior in what it can offer then their previous mod. I find it also funny that prior to VC many people had said they´d be happy to pay the mod team for a remade brytenwalda...

In Conclusion, is VC an Epic Fail? Certainly not! Does it have performance issues? Yes. Can these be fixed? Yes!
    Result: Don´t worry, everything is gonna be allright (till the norsemen nock on your door)

I was playing this earlier and really enjoying it till it crashed to desktop for me.

One of the new things I like, beyond the new Naval elements, are the new animations. It's so nice to go to a village and see peasants working the fields, monks sitting and reading, craftsmen building etc instead of the usual awkward standing around everyone used to do in the old games. Here's hoping the feasts will be feast-like, with movement and revelry, and not a room full of people standing around silently.

My favorite animation are the dancing trees. We are Groot!

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaton View Post
    If Rome II would have only had performance issues, oh dear

No, VC has performance issues and various graphical problems for some people, but I love the overall design of the game. It´s improved interface is great, things like wounds are clearer now, the world is rich in different locations (for a M&B game) , the mechanics of the story work well and I´m eager to see what comes once you become a ruler.

The dev team have put a lot of work and thought into this, but they are a small team and new to proffessional game development,so I wasn´t surprised by performance issues. But some people over on the TW forums have gone completely overboard with their criticism, cursing the devs and calling VC a piece of or just a remake of Brytenwalda , when it clearly is far superior in what it can offer then their previous mod. I find it also funny that prior to VC many people had said they´d be happy to pay the mod team for a remade brytenwalda...

In Conclusion, is VC an Epic Fail? Certainly not! Does it have performance issues? Yes. Can these be fixed? Yes!
    Result: Don´t worry, everything is gonna be allright (till the norsemen nock on your door)
    Welcome to the gaming industry, my friend. People are fickle as !

Quote Originally Posted by Doe3000 View Post
    I was playing this earlier and really enjoying it till it crashed to desktop for me.

One of the new things I like, beyond the new Naval elements, are the new animations. It's so nice to go to a village and see peasants working the fields, monks sitting and reading, craftsmen building etc instead of the usual awkward standing around everyone used to do in the old games. Here's hoping the feasts will be feast-like, with movement and revelry, and not a room full of people standing around silently.
    I do like the sounds of that. It's a really simple thing but having those animations is a huge thing. The tavern animations mod was a step in the right direction and this seems to be one more before Bannerlord. Having people stand around silently made the game feel so bland and ruined the immersion.

If only this game wasn't released around Christmas I might actually be able to buy it.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

So is the game relatively playable right now ? Playable as no overwhelming ctd, i can accept if it sometimes crash at launch, features working properly, scripts in place, etc ...). Or should I wait a bit longer. Especially as I have no proper gaming computer to speak of right now.

I am going to buy it eventually. I am just curious if it is interesting to take it right now. I am patient and could certainly wait a few months. Maybe a whole year.

Played 3 hours 2 crashes to desktop...ok for now.

That story line is good. Torture the viking muhaha... oh I love this game.. if they optimise it it will be very very good.
    For the people who don't have it. The storyline is based on decision so you can play it 100+ times

(I regret some descisions)

the prisoners thinks he is a tough guy
    Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; December 12, 2014 at 03:38 PM.
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Im liking the dlc. To be fair, i didnt had a single crash yet. The storyline is good yeah. BUt they should put a really greater variaty in weapons and all sorts of items. Faces are bad (brytenwalda had much better faces and they didnt all look the same). Females are extinct too. Multiplayer is very nice but there are alot of bugs. The dancing trees are a killer for me though. They should have fixed that the second it was reported.

Now apparently there is a big script bug (some think its hackers) pratically ruining the MP in some servers. Out of nowhere every player goes into a random animation (like the villager animations, which are very nice) and keeps at that. My last ... what, 5 rounds, in 4 different servers, had that bug and then everyone quit (cause you cant move or do anything else, nor stop the animation).

But Viking Invasion mode is AWESOME. THe AI is way better than vanilla and NW lol. 150 players x 130 AI and we got REKT. Everyone forming a shield wall. This time i was in the first line, the whole AI charge came at me i just kept blocking, kicking, and eventually quickly doing some upper attacks with my sword, while spearmen behind me attacked from above and all the guys at my side kept holding. My luck was that i had picked 3 shields. By the end the 3 broke from the AI attacks and the whole line had moved alot but i killed like 4 AI myself, but me and 3/4 by me kept the whole 100 AI busy while the rest of our team picked them and then flanked. Was great.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    Welcome to the gaming industry, my friend. People are fickle as !

I do like the sounds of that. It's a really simple thing but having those animations is a huge thing. The tavern animations mod was a step in the right direction and this seems to be one more before Bannerlord. Having people stand around silently made the game feel so bland and ruined the immersion.

If only this game wasn't released around Christmas I might actually be able to buy it.
    It's not too prominent though (it's hardly Assassin's Creed level), you still have some characters standing around gormlessly - and the usual 'walking to nowhere in particular'. Still, having some characters being animated breaks up the monotony.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    So is the game relatively playable right now ? Playable as no overwhelming ctd, i can accept if it sometimes crash at launch, features working properly, scripts in place, etc ...). Or should I wait a bit longer. Especially as I have no proper gaming computer to speak of right now.

I am going to buy it eventually. I am just curious if it is interesting to take it right now. I am patient and could certainly wait a few months. Maybe a whole year.
    I've had some CTDs and some lags and frame rate drops on the map. I've also had some minor graphical glitches for a few seconds, but nothing too distracting. Still, it's a cool game...but it still has some bugs to clear out.
    Last edited by Doe3000; December 12, 2014 at 11:23 PM.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

The kids look hilarious though, still, I'm thoroughly enjoying it!
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post

My experience is that it CTDs every other in-game day. This is not on a playable level. Send me a PM in a week and I'll bet I'll tell you it's fixed.

EDIT: An update was released just as I wrote this. Let me get back to you. http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.p...,320050.0.html

EDIT 2: It is in a state that I would advice you to buy it. There are a few visual bugs here and there, but you have to seek them out zooming in (shift) to spot them. The game is miles ahead of another WB DLC, Caribbean.

Small tip: Don't underestimate the value of buying supplies in villages and selling it in towns. Even with 1 point in Trade, you'll make a decent lively hood.

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; December 13, 2014 at 12:49 PM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast