Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: OPEN ALPHA release | DOWNLOAD v0.85 |

Default Re: OPEN ALPHA release

I'm playing a Roman Empire campaign (H/H) and have fought a couple of wars with the Sicilians near Shkoder (sp?) on the Adriatic coast. I've captured it a couple of times (then given it back for peace), but every time I captured it my reputation took a hit even though I merely occupied it. I'm now on despicable. Earlier in campaigning against the Hungarians I released prisoners occasionally and got my reputation up to trustworthy. I didn't start of the the Sicilian wars. I presume this is a bug. If it's a feature, it's a bit harsh.

Is there a cheat I can use to improve my reputation? It's a fun campaign but I'm worried I'll become swamped by surrounding factions now.

Feedback

The units and settlements look superb. I haven't encountered any serious pathing problems so far.

The music is good.

I really like the slow and limited recruitment feature. Battles are meaningful and decisive. I have to think very carefully about committing troops to a campaign. It's engrossing. The flipside is that it's necessary to fight every single battle to avoid good units being mauled in auto resolve. There are a lot of rebels popping up so it feels a little like whack-a-mole at times.

At the moment there are about 3 heretics in the Peloponnese, after a couple more and a witch have already been killed. The Hungarians seem to have about 2 or 3 loitering around too. Perhaps this needs to be toned down.

I'm past 50 turns in and only the Kingdom of Navarre has been destroyed. The political map seems fairly stable, which is good.

Many thanks for your hard work, dedication and willingness to share your sub-mod. .

Conquering a settlement that you have given during diplomacy always hits the reputation hard. I think it is to deter scenarios where you offer a city to AI that they can't hope to defend in return for florins. Since the AI doesn't realize this they accept and once you get the florins you could simply take the city back. I once exchanged settlements with HRE, then later conquered them 75 turns later and still had a huge penalty in reputation. A better alternative I think could be a limit of turns before you could reconquer without penalty, depending on it being reasonably easy to script. Or remove the penalty and don't take advantage of the poor AI.

To get your reputation up, try capturing and releasing those wack-a-mole rebels. In my experience they have always disbanded upon release anyway. They are useful for raising high dread/chivalry generals for sure.

Using Soulson's AI on Very hard campaign difficulty:
    The AI isn't competitive enough in capturing settlements early, preferring to chase rebels and capture rebel forts. The rebels are fairly aggressive so they can't be ignored, but they cause no devastation (until you engage them I think, I need to test more) So a human player can keep a small defensive force to deter rebels while focusing on capturing many settlements before the AI. If the rebels caused devastation from the start, a Human player would have to focus on the rebels in their territory first, or suffer the devastation income penalty

Which AI have you used Theramines? I haven't had a faction eliminated so early. There's been a constant amount of diplomatic rebalancing in the Iberia peninsula especially, keeping any nation that becomes too powerful in check.

I also like the slower unit replenishment, resorting to recruiting Levy Infantry (Much better than the original peasants) gives a fun desperation feel to the campaigns

I had decreased descr_strat's brigand_spawn_value (yes inverted logic) from 40 to 30 but if that seems to make too many of them, will try 35 which should be a middle ground then.

Rebels AI could be tweaked to be most aggressive vs the player while less to AI factions, Beermugcarl AI tweaks have some of this which should be incorporated soon.

I don't know if the global reputation penalty on recapturing a previously sold settlement can be tweaked, i'll investigate if something can be done about it.

Has anyone played with crusader states?
    they start with "Bertrand de Toulouse" in mainland Europe (Toulouse province), he has a medium army which should allow him to capture a settlement there, particularly Toulouse, but also there is a small fleet right next to him which could be used to transport him to the crusader states (without a crusade it takes 7 turns aprox) however despite I shifted the starting troops for the CS for lower upkeep but more experienced ones they still are in financial deficit from the beginning.

Also has anyone tried/noticed the loans option?
    I changed the finances button (the coffer bellow the turn end button) so when you press it twice consecutively an interactive event triggers asking if you want to take a loan.
    It even has tooltips indicating this.

Loans can be used to quickly get money but they're capped to a max of total loaned money of 30,000f (50,000f after 1157)....however they carry a negative authority impact as well as "interest" which can severely harm your income...so basically you have to use the loans to make more money and repay ASAP or be prepared to deal with unrest and economic strain.
    There are ways to scape this but you need a dreadful faction leader , this in turn can make harder to get any future loans.

I didn't know about that penalty for retaking settlements. It makes sense now and I won't be doing that again. I surely will be releasing rebels as fast as I can from here on until I rebuild my reputation.

I'm using Savage AI.

I didn't know about the loans option either. I'll try it as I do actually need a bit of cash.

Thanks for your replies, guys.
    Last edited by Theramines; October 23, 2014 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melooo182 View Post
    Has anyone played with crusader states?
    they start with "Bertrand de Toulouse" in mainland Europe (Toulouse province), he has a medium army which should allow him to capture a settlement there, particularly Toulouse, but also there is a small fleet right next to him which could be used to transport him to the crusader states (without a crusade it takes 7 turns aprox) however despite I shifted the starting troops for the CS for lower upkeep but more experienced ones they still are in financial deficit from the beginning.
    I am playing with Crusader States right now(i'm on turn 54).I took Bertrand from South France and got him in Holy Land,where i captured Kerak with him.Right now he is still alive(59 years old),he is my Royal Marshall and Duke of Kerak.After he got here i disbanded the fleet.
    About the campaign it was pretty peacefull until last years(something like ~5 turns ago).I captured nearby rebel settelments(Acre,Tripoli,Damascus,Adana,Aleppo) and i just upgraded my cities and income(kind of turtling + i get trade right with almost every faction on the map and an alliace with Byzantines,which are busy fighting Sicily,Venice and Hungary - yeah,i have had to abandon my pre-alliance with Venice).But as i said,some turns ago i got a Jihad called for Jerusalem and i am at war with Egypt/Turks and Almohades.They even invade my lands each with 1 stack.I forget to mention that the year they declared war on me(Egypt)i took Gaza from them,which is sieged by a non-jihadic army right now.I am not sure if i can defend Jerusalem,but i will try it.My economy is stable,but i have only 2 stacks,maybe 3 if i gather all my forces.(I'm happy that i can train Templars now ,they are available for me for 4-5 turns).
    If you want i can provide some screenshots aswell

Also has anyone tried/noticed the loans option?
    I changed the finances button (the coffer bellow the turn end button) so when you press it twice consecutively an interactive event triggers asking if you want to take a loan.
    It even has tooltips indicating this.

Loans can be used to quickly get money but they're capped to a max of total loaned money of 30,000f (50,000f after 1157)....however they carry a negative authority impact as well as "interest" which can severely harm your income...so basically you have to use the loans to make more money and repay ASAP or be prepared to deal with unrest and economic strain.
    There are ways to scape this but you need a dreadful faction leader , this in turn can make harder to get any future loans.
    I noticed this by mistake.I usually close finacial tab by double pressing on it so i discovered this feature.Though i haven't tryed it (i didn't knew what to expect in exchange for the loan) and i don't think i will try it in the near future.Maybe if this Jihad will affect me badly i will,but i am not sure.

Good job with this submod.I haven't played SS for a while,and now i'm back to it cuz of this submod

Chef_Jimmy's Avatar Libertus

excellent modification to my favorite game, just getting into an English campaign... subtle map differences = nice... a comprehensive list of features would be nice, such as the above mentioned 1, adjusting the start date a few years forward to make Portugal a legitimate faction would be cool, some factions slots being used for religious conversion I see, my idea is leave 1 faction slot open, then do a sorta petty kingdom sub-mod for it, that lets you tick a selection from a list of factions in the set up. That would allow the addition of a plethora of factions, that would only be included in the campaign when a player chooses to play it... i.e. having Ireland, Sweden & a few other factions as the faction that fills in the vacant slot when ticked in the set up. Just an idea of a sub mod I was kicking around in my head when I read work on 7.0 would continue.

I think heretics shoould be weaker. They are too stong in my opinion.

yeah i've noticed that, I think I forgot to apply the weaker heretics changes after all.

EDIT:
    Yup i forgot it, weak heretics and weaker heretics submods available with SS6.4 bugfix comp 1.26 should be compatible with titanium though.
    I think they are savegame compatible as well, for future heretics at least.

wow we have an alpha already...

my main question is : does the unit recruitment system use HURB system or what?

nope, it has practically the same Real Recruitment from SS6.4 adapted to 2TPY and other really minor changes like extra availability of of some generic troops for crusader states and teutonic order.

nope, it has practically the same Real Recruitment from SS6.4 adapted to 2TPY and other really minor changes like extra availability of of some generic troops for crusader states and teutonic order.
    disappointing, I've been very familiar with HURB and consider vanilla recruitment system unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by napoleonic View Post
    disappointing, I've been very familiar with HURB and consider vanilla recruitment system unrealistic.
    Still possible to have it, this is the alpha version.

Is one supposed to pick the next heir when playing the romans? I have tried giving the globus cruciger to certain FM but even after the current next heir dies, another character become the next heir, even when he is an adopted member.

the Next Heir Ancillaries are bit random and don't work always :S, the description will be updated stating this

Oh well damn, it's kind of annoying that the genius, driven and loyal nephew of the emperor gets overlooked while and man that only exist for garrisoning a city get picked as the next leader.

yeah that's been an issue for M2 since forever :/
    only fix for when that happens is send the bad heir to a suicide naval mission xD

I'm trying a Crusader States campaign (VH/VH) and my construction halted due to lack on funds so I took the loan option because I felt it was necessary to keep construction going to prepare for inevitable jihad, and because I had a plan to repay it almost immediately (2,000 florins from successful crusade and a 15,000 florin cease-fire settlement with Fatamids) and it worked great, no bugs.

thats great

has anyone being getting a graphical glittch with rivers in western europe?, i think it happens when a lot of them are visible in the same screen, i was thinking of increasing the rivers overall with some hydro-graphic info i found in the net but if this starts to happen then is not a good idea and will in fact have to remove one of those minor rivers from western EU, thought it might just be my laptop with its crappy integrated video card.

Some factions are missing including Suljuk of Rum and Ghurid Empire?

Also while selecting faction, map position of Abbasid Caliphate is showing wrong.

Can you please list down all factions list?

Thanks,