Thread: Moonflower's Gradual Tax Mod (upkeep for "public" buildings) V_1.0--Temples

Icon7 Moonflower's Gradual Tax Mod (upkeep for "public" buildings) V_1.0--Temples

Hi

So this mod is pretty straightforward, if you understand what I put in the title that is. It adds a gradual tax to buildings; the higher level the building is the more tax revenue it will cost your faction to maintain. *For now*, only religious buildings have been modified and are culture specific because let's face it, Roman and Hellenic (which were structurally comparable as the romans copied the greeks for the most part) were > Barbarian buildings, and this is somewhat true for Eastern buildings as well.

Why did I think up this mod? Well I've attempted several campaigns and usually find the economy/settlement building to be rather static, I wanted more dynamism. So I thought about it and realized there aren't really upkeep fees for having super awesome buildings, the only real upkeep penalties a faction has are from its military. That's well and good but there is far more to empire than military might so I wanted taxes to play a more realistic role. You may find yourself asking, Hey Moonflower, aren't you as the player supposed to be receiving tax revenue as the proprietor of these buildings, not losing? Great question. The purpose of these tax penalties is to reflect the payout by you, the proprietor (the ruler, council, etc), to those citizens who operate and maintain these structures. They simulate your tax revenue being put to use, so as not to be available in a lump sum to be used just for building more buildings or recruiting more troops or agents or for diplomatic purposes. And lastly, I've added another bit of realism by making the penalties larger for when the building is damaged to reflect payment for the labor necessary to repair the structure, not just payment for the structural resources necessary for repair which I think is reflected by the current sum cost that we get when we mouse over a damaged building.

I've seen other mods struggle with the concept of empire maintenance. DeI comes to mind for sure(love DeI <3 )... DeI implements more corruption as your empire grows and this is termed "empire maintenance." I like the idea, but I feel the concept as a whole is more dynamic than that to be addressed in a singular fashion.

SO:

The gradual tax model: base + double the building level (e.g. base 4% + (lvl 5x2) = 14% tax)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

R/H base: 6%
    E base: 5%
    B base: 2%

Damage penalties by level:
    5: -20%
    4: -15%
    3: -10%
    2: -7%
    1: -5%

Note: penalties only apply to the province in which the structure is built.

Breakdown: (for those of you who don't like math ;D [I don't either, so give me a cookie for this, yes?])

Level 5 Roman/Hellenic: -16%
    Level 4 Roman/Hellenic: -14%
    Level 3 Roman/Hellenic: -12%
    Level 2 Roman/Hellenic: -10%
    Level 1 Roman/Hellenic: -8%

Level 4 Eastern: -13%
    Level 3 Eastern: -11%
    Level 2 Eastern: -9%
    Level 1 Eastern: -7%

Level 5 Barbarian: -12%
    Level 4 Barbarian: -10%
    Level 3 Barbarian: -8%
    Level 2 Barbarian: -6%
    Level 1 Barbarian: -4%

Future Plans? I'm thinking of introducing taxes to sanitation buildings as they are public institutions, like temples, and main chain buildings as well, with notable variation between major and minor cities and minor city types, and education buildings, cultural/entertainment buildings such as amphitheaters... also considering military buildings, still undecided, but leaning towards yes. And as more structures are given a gradual tax, the tax penalties will be adjusted and balanced across the board. Main chains will be the most costly, then sanitation, temples, and so on, but some buildings may ignore those boundaries--for example, a lvl 4 temple may be more tax heavy than say a lvl 4 bathhouse or something like that, it will just depend on the individual buildings real life function and value.

Compatibility? Should be compatible with everything as it just adds additional effects to the buildings specified... I don't believe future patches will break it but will update as necessary.

Feedback is most welcome. Thank you, enjoy

Temple_Tax_MF.7z
    Last edited by Moonflower; October 08, 2014 at 08:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kong
    Hey moonflower, just wanted to say that your descriptions are indeed the best, so I will use all of them, of course. Regards

Default Re: Moonflower's Gradual Tax Mod (upkeep for "public" buildings) V_1.0--Temples

Hi Mate,Very GOOD mod!!!

Upkeep for buildings = challenge campaign.

Downloading!!!

Ty +1

MagicCuboid's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Moonflower's Gradual Tax Mod (upkeep for "public" buildings) V_1.0--Temples

This is a pretty neat idea. I'd recommend expanding the scope of the mod to cover military buildings and especially public works projects (such as amphitheaters and water systems).

In my opinion, temples should be medium building cost/maintenance, military low building cost/high maintenance, and public works high cost, high maintenance.

Also in terms of game balance, I don't think the Barbarians and Easterners should be placed in different categories to the Romans/Greeks. Yes, the reality is the buildings represented would require less maintenance in real life, but it ends up placing an economic advantage on barbarian factions over the rest, which doesn't make any sense.

Finally, I'd recommend a government building chain off of the city center which serves to offset the maintenance of these buildings. They wouldn't have to add any value in and of themselves, but they'd mitigate the tax level penalties and maybe some culture. The thought being that penalties should be fairly steep in cities with a level IV Temple, Amphitheater, and Water system, so they could have the option to build these administration buildings to offset that penalty without making it feel like a "requirement" of every province.
    "I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be alive, king, and fifty all at once." - Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Will this one be compatible with the empire maintenance one?
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Quote Originally Posted by lurumagno View Post
    Hi Mate,Very GOOD mod!!!

Upkeep for buildings = challenge campaign.

Downloading!!!

Ty +1
    My thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by MagicCuboid View Post
    This is a pretty neat idea. I'd recommend expanding the scope of the mod to cover military buildings and especially public works projects (such as amphitheaters and water systems).

In my opinion, temples should be medium building cost/maintenance, military low building cost/high maintenance, and public works high cost, high maintenance.

Also in terms of game balance, I don't think the Barbarians and Easterners should be placed in different categories to the Romans/Greeks. Yes, the reality is the buildings represented would require less maintenance in real life, but it ends up placing an economic advantage on barbarian factions over the rest, which doesn't make any sense.

Finally, I'd recommend a government building chain off of the city center which serves to offset the maintenance of these buildings. They wouldn't have to add any value in and of themselves, but they'd mitigate the tax level penalties and maybe some culture. The thought being that penalties should be fairly steep in cities with a level IV Temple, Amphitheater, and Water system, so they could have the option to build these administration buildings to offset that penalty without making it feel like a "requirement" of every province.
    I do have plans to expand the scope I agree with your suggestions listed in that regard. On game balance, I do see your point about giving advantages and disadvantages. However from my campaigns I've always experienced barbarians being at a visible disadvantage. But keep in mind that I do not play vanilla. I am currently playing a compilation of my own assembly, with my personal touches and additions. Barbarian factions are now a proper force to be reckoned with.
    see screen for example. And while I very much like your idea of a government building, I have no plans to create an entirely new building. I don't think it's necessary to dedicate a whole slot to a building that gives culture and tax offset bonuses. However, I will consider adding similar effects to those you've outlined to the main chain buildings! I think that would be a solid compromise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-10-11_00004.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	613.4 KB 
ID:	315431

Quote Originally Posted by neoiq5719 View Post
    Will this one be compatible with the empire maintenance one?
    In theory yes as all campaigns now use a standardized list of buildings, but I have not personally tested anything other than the Grand Campaign. If you'd like to confirm, I will certainly add it to the OP but my focus is the GC with my current modding endeavors.

If you're asking if it is compatible with the system currently in DeI and others like it, yes it should be compatible as the values they use are corruption and are not building effects like mine are.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kong
    Hey moonflower, just wanted to say that your descriptions are indeed the best, so I will use all of them, of course. Regards