Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sub mod request - Recruitable Generals

Default Sub mod request - Recruitable Generals

Hello All

Probably my favorite feature from EB1 was the ability to install various client rulers throughout my provinces. It allowed my family members to focus more attention on their political careers, while allowing client rulers to do their bidding and pacify the newly acquired territories. Some of the client rulers became great leaders, others seemed like greedy traitors to their native people, which made using them even more interesting. This along with the excellent political office/career system is really what made the first EB such a great, replayable game to me.

Is there anyone who could help me with this? Ive tried dozens of times to modify the export_descr_buildings file myself over the years, and have never been able to actually get recruitable leaders on my own with RTW or M2TW. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Sub mod request - Recruitable Generals

I know that non-FM characters are possible in EBII, because several factions start with them. They're easy enough to add in the descr_strat.txt, but that's little help as far as recruiting goes. Obviously, the building to attach them to would be the various forms of Allied Government. You'd also presumably need scripting for their traits and such, independent of the one used for FMs.

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

Agree this submod would be perfect.

But the code from original EB is very difficult to understand:
    recruit "african general numidian nobles" 0 requires factions { gauls, scythia, romans_brutii, britons, dacia, thrace, romans_scipii, spain, greek_cities, macedon, parthia, carthage, numidia, egypt, seleucid, pontus, armenia, romans_julii, germans, saba, } and hidden_resource SW and hidden_resource A and hidden_resource y1 and hidden_resource y2 and hidden_resource y4 and hidden_resource n8

hidden_resources from original EB: rome sparta italy desert tradeport navyport bigport not_here nomad mixed river gallicport smallfleet variantro variantgr variantba variantno variantca varianteg variantea EA SW NW A B C D E y1 y2 y4 y8 n1 n2 n4 n8 homeland pahlavahome noroads nopavedroads persia

and hidden_resources from EB 2:
    hidden_resources no_pirates no_brigands horde_target variantca variantba hr_river hr_a hr_b hr_c hr_d hr_e hr_f hr_g hr_h hr_i hr_j anatolian arabian baktria baltic briton caucasus celtiberia celtic dacia eastern egypt ethiopia germania greek1 greek2 hellen1 hellen2 iberia illyria indo italy liburnes libya lusitan numidia punic saba_core saka sarmatian thrakia mixed hyparchia satrapy krete logades daha

Well maybe EA means eastern?, SW means Sweboz?, i don't know but from what i see a lot of work is needed to implement them to EB 2. So i think we will see recruitable generals only if they make them official.

The whole code for recruitable generals from EB is 193.025 characters to have an idea.

Thanks for the good info QuintusSertorius and b0Gia. This is looking like its a bit over my head. I really hope this is something the EB team considers worth looking at in the future.

Nice thanks for the new info. Let hope not die yet.

Going to try again as well b0Gia. If I can get this to work, I will send you the cfgs.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke_of_Mangaf View Post
    Going to try again as well b0Gia. If I can get this to work, I will send you the cfgs.
    Well that is nice. I would like to try this to work too but right now i am busy with my submods.

Ive actually tried adding generals using the above links several times before on a few different mods both in RTW and M2TW, without any luck, I always end up with a ctd. There is one link in there that breaks down the export_descr_buildings in greater detail, but likeQuintus mentioned, there is quite a bit necessary in addition. I will keep reading and see what I can get to work.

well when i have free time i will check it too.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

I know nothing about modding and/or game limitations...well, except some hard-coded stuff that everyone know about. Would it be possible to add a general as a recruitable unit to the allied gov building tree?
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    I know nothing about modding and/or game limitations...well, except some hard-coded stuff that everyone know about. Would it be possible to add a general as a recruitable unit to the allied gov building tree?
    Well it's not that simple. It's more complex and that is the reason we haven't them official.

To have an idea you must add general bodyguards for all governments for all factions. Well if every faction has five-six governments and we have 28 factions you need to edit 28x6 168 lines!

And if we have and upgraded general bodyguards in the future we need other 168 lines so about 336!

Also seems to be an other problem too:

It's not hard to make this a sub-mod but there's a little problem there. If you edit "export_descr_buildings" to recruit General's Bodyguard unit faster you have to make it avaible for ALL factions because you can not know which faction the user of the mod will choose to play. And if you do so that means it will apply to AI Factions as well. Since AI is retard about handling family trees, it will most likely to spam the General's Bodyguard unit as a normal Hvy. Cavalry. It will surely exceed the limit of General Per Settlement Ratio and it means their Family Tree will stop producing any children and since it already had enough Generals it won't adopt any. When the last King or Prince dies, their Royal Family will expire and the Faction will be destroyed. It happened to France when I was playing as England, France was getting destroyed (resigned) and all of their settlements were given to Rebels.I had to send Assassins to kill every single one of their Generals to force them to adopt family members.

To stop this from happening, I edited my export_descr_buildings file and instead of making all the General units free for all, I added another and made it trainable for "England" only. Now AI can only train Generals normally within the limits but I can train them whenever I want.

It's risky though. Even for the Player. Cause training too much Generals will cause your family tree to stop creating anymore children and you will no longer get marriage proposals for your members. You have to calculate general per settlement ratio carefully or else your Royal Dynasty is on deadline.

So with all that said I believe making General units free for all (including AI factions) is too risky, as you may end up in a campaign map full of rebel regions with few only AI factions survive. So best is to make it avaible for yourself only, to do that you either have to edit the files yourself. If you don't know how to do that there are tutorials. But if you really require help anyway I think those who know more about modding will happily help you. I'm no expert modder but I can also give you assistance within my knowledge.

So there is a solution but it is time consuming for the team.

That can be taken care of with a small script in the CS so that only the player(any faction) gets to use them and AI never gets this facility. I was thinking of about event counter that activates only when the faction is local means when player plays that faction.

Look the script for example:

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType turks
    and not FactionIsLocal
    set_event_counter activate_gb 0
    end_monitor

monitor_event monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType turks
    and FactionIsLocal
    set_event_counter activate_gb 1
    end_monitor

So 8 lines extra are needed for one bodyguard so we have 8 lines * 28 factions =224 lines + 224 extra for late bodyguards we have 448 lines. 448 +336 =784 lines of coding. I think that is the reason we don't have them. A lot of work is needed. Overall i think 600 - 800 lines of coding are needed to implement them.

We have already one in EB2. Itīs made for the hellenic factions too boost their recruitment, but you can rewrite it if you like to a player based script.

Itīs in the campaignt script.

PHP Code:
        monitor_event FactionTurnStart TrueCondition

if I_IsFactionAIControlled f_carthage
                set_event_counter ecCarthageIsAI 1
                terminate_monitor
            end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled f_makedonia
                set_event_counter ecMakedoniaIsAI 1
                terminate_monitor
            end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled f_epeiros