Thread: The function of the hidden resource 'arguin'?

Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default The function of the hidden resource 'arguin'?

Lately I came across it again and I am still wondering what the hidden resource arguin does. It's not script related so I am guessing it's something hard coded like the no_brigands and no_pirates hidden resource. Which leads me to believe that regions with this hidden resource will not be part of the AI's strategic calculations, eg attack.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Edit: unlike no_pirates and no_brigands it's not in the executable - so is it a dud?
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 06, 2014 at 12:03 PM.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: The function of the hidden resource 'arguin'?

I thought that atlantic was unused too until I found it in the guilds file. But yeah, arguin isn't used anywhere by anything. Maybe it was for something that was never implemented, like an AOR.

Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.

Blog Entries

Yeah, the atlantic one popped up when I did a content search of the whole unpacked game - but no arguin. Guess it's just some unimplemented stuff as you said.

Maybe it's only for argument's sake.

This thread mentions that no_brigands and no_pirates have some sort of hard coded function. Does anyone know precisely what they do? And are there any other hidden resources that I should avoid deleting?

Blog Entries

They do exactly what they say: no pirate and no brigand spawns in that region. Can be reverted via script - for that see the 'Aztecs discovered' script section in vanilla.

OK so, we have no_pirates, no_brigands, and rome which definitely do things. Then in the 'maybe' pile we have atlantic, arguin, and the guild HRs. Does horde_target do anything? Are there any others?

Blog Entries

horde_target designates a target for hordes. Limited range of effect, there is an article in the text workshop about horde mechanics and the target effect.
    crusade and jihad designate a target for the respective mechanics, no range limit

Quote Originally Posted by Callistonian View Post
    Then in the 'maybe' pile we have atlantic, arguin, and the guild HRs.
    I was under the impression that atlantic has no hardcoded special meaning. Its only 'speciality' is that it is used in vanilla export_descr_guilds, but any HR could be used instead for that purpose. "atlantic" is not mentioned in the exe, ergo no harcodedness associated with it.

Guild HRs were discussed around here somewhere recentlyish - 6 months ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    crusade and jihad designate a target for the respective mechanics, no range limit
    Do they though? This thread seems to imply that there is no way to pick specific settlements are crusade/jihad targets. Do these hidden resources actually contribute somehow to the selection of targets? I believe you can still have crusades and jihads without these hidden resources, which would mean that the presence of the hidden resources only influences, to some unknown extent, the selection possible targets.

Blog Entries

In vanilla without fail the first crusade goes to Cairo (designated in descr_regions) if it is AI triggered. The player gets a selection of targets on requesting a crusade - I am not sure if it is comprised of the designated settlements in descr_regions, possibly is.