Thread: Who is this "Habbol Bentzer" character?

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Who is this "Habbol Bentzer" character?

The reason I ask here, because I think this character is a bug perhaps something that CA have cut out of the game or miss to add it into the game.

I cannot find this Habbol Bentzer character as a candidate/minister in either Prussia or Sweden and still it seems to exist in the game.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-10-01_00018.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	676.9 KB 
ID:	315113

Name:	2014-10-05_00004.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	529.5 KB 
ID:	315115

These pictures confirms that and I have checked both Prussia and Sweden when playing a campaign.

I also would like to know if anyone else have more information about this Habbol Bentzer character or have you also notice the same thing as I have.

If it is feasible could this Habbol Bentzer character be disabled in a separate mod and I think this is the only way to fix this character bug.
    Last edited by Leonardo; October 05, 2014 at 06:18 AM.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Who is this "Habbol Bentzer" character?

You could have clicked on the magnifying glass to find him - you are sure you definitely checked all of the opposition ministers?

He's dead now though, so doesn't matter
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Yes I am sure otherwise I wouldn't post this thread here don't I.

Now what's really odd though is that when I click on the magnify button it take me to a completely different location then you think it is, so if this occur when playing Sweden it take me to Brandenburg but if I play Prussia it take me to Sweden. WTF is going on?

Just before I read your post I found what's causing this mess with the Habbol Bentzer character. You see I think there is an undocumented bug in ETW and now I know what the problem is. The problem lies in which faction/nation Habbol Bentzer belongs to like this.

I'm from Sweden and I don't think anyone would have a name like Habbol Bentzer without being a foreign or having foreign parents and being born in Sweden, so what faction/nation does this Habbol Bentzer guy belong to. I tried to find out the other day but today I found it it's Sweden which is wrong, because it must be Prussia even the name suggests that otherwise I wouldn't be surprised to see its location for Habbol Bentzer when he dies is Stockholm when playing Prussia and if it's Sweden I play the location for this event is Brandenburg in Prussia.

You can check this for yourself by running PFM and load patch2.pack then goto db\names_tables\names and select Swedish names once PFM has loaded the patch2.pack. Scroll down and look for first name (Habbol) and surname (Bentzer).
    Last edited by Leonardo; November 11, 2014 at 12:23 PM.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Could he be a Swedish spy recruited in Prussia?

I've played thousands of hours of ETW and never come across this character before, or had a problem similar to this.

Have you ever used any mods that might have corrupted your unit tables?
    I've had that happen before, where some rash data table editing has created a misalignment between units table data. But usually the worst that has happened has been that unit responses become none-sense e.g. infantry thinking they are cavalry etc.

It looks to me as though this Bentzer character is supposed to be a Prussian politician, but that there is a mismatch between the list of names and the faction tables so that he ends up overflowing into the opposite faction e.g. Sweden if you are playing Prussia, Prussia if you are playing Sweden.

I'm not sure what the solution is although it should be fixable if you know how the data tables interact. But at the same time is doesn't seem to be game breaking so its probably not worth the bother. You just seem to be getting a bit of insider information of the life of a foreign minister.
    Last edited by Didz; November 14, 2014 at 07:45 AM.

he is a swedish general
    My 6 2nd rates routed in horror from 1 brig + 1 5th rate on auto-resolve....

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    It looks to me as though this Bentzer character is supposed to be a Prussian politician, but that there is a mismatch between the list of names and the faction tables so that he ends up overflowing into the opposite faction e.g. Sweden if you are playing Prussia, Prussia if you are playing Sweden.

I'm not sure what the solution is although it should be fixable if you know how the data tables interact. But at the same time is doesn't seem to be game breaking so its probably not worth the bother. You just seem to be getting a bit of insider information of the life of a foreign minister.
    That's correct, because when he die his son become a minister and now it shows how the Habbol Bentzer should have be shown in vanilla. But that never happen since the location for him are not correct.

Actually, I managed to fix him by disabling him in a separate mod, but there is a caveat doing that because the fix is changing the portrait shown in these pictures.

Name:	20160521093608_1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	593.7 KB 
ID:	337109
    The portrait in vanilla and without the fix installed.

Name:	20160521092745_1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	587.3 KB 
ID:	337110
    The portrait has been changed when having the fix installed.

Bug Fixes.rar
    I haven't check it yet, but I think it should work. Give it a try and let me know if it worked or not.

Unfortuntely, he is not the only character that's bugged no, the other day I notice that Maxmillian Davies doesn't show up in-game, when playing Great Britain, and still I got a message about him like the "Trait Gained" message. I can't remember the name for the other English character. Last year I think I wanted to play Austria and after a while I notice the same thing another character that didn't showed up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by poa View Post
    he is a swedish general
    What Didz said, Habbol Bentzer is a Prussian politician (I am 99 % sure that Habbol Bentzer are not from Sweden by judging his name and that name sounds more like a Prussian or an Austrian to me) and not a Swedish general.

Why his is not a Swedish general, because when I used the bug fix I created all portraits for the Swedish ministers hasn't been changed, but the portrait for one Prussian minister was different from the vanilla portrait.