Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HORSES OF ANTIQUITY

Default HORSES OF ANTIQUITY

I might be wrong, but looking at the sizes of the horses in EB appear to be too large. I don't think they bred thoroughbred-size horses in antiquity. Elite cav horses in EB should be somewhere between the smaller horses and elite cav horses in the game. Let's discuss...

Default Re: HORSES OF ANTIQUITY

People were also shorter. Probably, considerably shorter
    Last edited by Rad; October 04, 2014 at 04:29 PM.

Nope, they had a variety of horse sizes, going right up to the giant Nisaean mounts of Persian kings.

Macedonian and Greece's mounts were not large. have a look at Alexander's legs on this depiction

oops, image doesnt work, it seems. added a link
    Last edited by Sarkiss; October 04, 2014 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Nope, they had a variety of horse sizes, going right up to the giant Nisaean mounts of Persian kings.
    Exactly, that too.
    Horses differ in size in game, check and see, Attila

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    People were also shorter. Probably, considerably shorter
    No, not that much. Their size depended more on social status than it does today, though.
    Horses, OTOH...

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    No, not that much. Their size depended more on social status than it does today, though.
    Horses, OTOH...
    Precisely, aristocrats with a good diet rich in nutrients and secure, regular meals would have been taller and broader than the lower strata who might have to manage on a single meal a day and go hungry in lean times. In Hellenised societies, aristocrats would have access to the gymnasium as well.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Horses, OTOH...
    I think they were. Nutrition plays a great deal in growth and development. I'm taller than dad, dad was taller than grandpa, God rest his soul... A considerable difference in just a few generations.
    Now, for all we know about Antiquity, a great deal of people struggled to survive. Of course the nobles had it good.
    So, most soldiers being common people, I think the current horse to man ratio is OK. I don't think we have to represent nobles as taller.
    BTW, I come from a country where the average man is six feet tall... so yeah... People in ancient times may not have been a lot shorter than you little guys, but they were shorter than me
    Last edited by Rad; October 04, 2014 at 05:12 PM.

Rad:
    "Exactly, that too.
    Horses differ in size in game, check and see, Attila"

Yes, you are right, and I am keenly aware of this. There appears to be in general two sizes--thoroughbred and ponies--and the latter being too liberally used. For example semetic and north african (numidian) cultures have leaner and smaller horses. Larger horses depicted in the mod were very rare if they existed at all.

One interesting fact while were on this topic: the reason ancients first had horses pull chariots instead of riding them was because they were bred big enough to carry people on their backs yet.
    Last edited by Atilla; October 04, 2014 at 05:22 PM.

So, most soldiers being common people, I think the current horse to man ratio is OK. I don't think we have to represent nobles as taller.
    Soldiers weren't "common people", because the majority of the population couldn't afford the free time to train in the arts of war, nor the money to purchase their own arms and armour. Most soldiers were at the poorest of the yeoman farmer class, men who owned their own farm and could likely afford slaves to work their land for them.

Indeed, arming and training men at the state's expense was one of Philip of Macedon's innovations, and the reason he was able to field such large armies. It was also Marius' innovation much later on when the Roman state had depleted its traditional source of citizen-militia.

Quote Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
    One interesting fact while were on this topic: the reason ancients first had horses pull chariots instead of riding them was because they were bred big enough to carry people on their backs yet.
    Those "ancients" are in the Bronze Age, up to thousands of years before the period covered by Europa Barbarorum.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; October 04, 2014 at 05:38 PM.

Those "ancients" are in the Bronze Age, up to thousands of years before the period covered by Europa Barbarorum.
    Yes

Soldiers weren't "common people", because the majority of the population couldn't afford the free time to train in the arts of war, nor the money to purchase their own arms and armour. Most soldiers were at the poorest of the yeoman farmer class, men who owned their own farm and could likely afford slaves to work their land for them.

Indeed, arming and training men at the state's expense was one of Philip of Macedon's innovations, and the reason he was able to field such large armies. It was also Marius' innovation much later on when the Roman state had depleted its traditional source of citizen-militia.

Most armies in EB2 are represented by a considerable number of levies, people who raid, defend their home, or are called by their overlords in times of need etc. Some of them, like the Greeks and Romans, were more well of. Having a farm is nice and all, but that doesn't guarantee regular intake of protein and vitamins, given the timeframe.

Also, I don't like the idea of having to have money to fight. Just look at the Sweboz. Clubs, clubs and spears everywhere. A more recent example as well. Most Vikings were armed with a spear and a knife (seax). Plenty had small axes too... Why? Because swords are expensive and you pretty much use the other three weapons as everyday tools. Spears for hunting, knives for utility and personal defense and axes for chopping wood. Even the poorest house had to have an axe or two, otherwise they'd freeze to death. Vikings weren't professionals in the true sense, they were adventurers who came from a poor place and they knew the easiest, and for most, only way to prosperity.

Also, the steppe warriors. Difficult to survive without a horse and a bow in the great open plains.

Long live the common folk!
    Last edited by Rad; October 05, 2014 at 01:49 AM.

I think they were. Nutrition plays a great deal in growth and development. I'm taller than dad, dad was taller than grandpa, God rest his soul... A considerable difference in just a few generations.
    nope, thats a common misperception. according to this logic your ancient ancestors were dwarfs. if not, than modern men should have all been well over 2 meters tall on average.
    there is a slight average growth over the centuries (nutrition, living conditions etc) but it is nowhere near the scale one would assume from your conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
    Yes
    Which means your "interesting fact" is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. So thousands of years before the mod, horses were so small they could only pull chariots. Well that's nice, but in the period covered here, horses were more than big enough to carry a man in armour, and in some cases barding to protect themselves as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    nope, thats a common misperception. according to this logic your ancient ancestors were dwarfs. if not, than modern men should have all been well over 2 meters tall on average.
    there is a slight average growth over the centuries (nutrition, living conditions etc) but it is nowhere near the scale one would assume from your conclusion.
    Dwarfs, no. About half a foot shorter in average? Probably.
    You think that Humanity made a constant progress in proper nutrition throught the ages? Nope... the first major difference I see was in the Modern period, especially around the Industrial revolution and afterwards. Just look at the Dutch... they had trouble getting enough men into their army because they were short and couldn't fill the height requirements... now, a nation of six footers.

yep, it is only the last 2 hundred years or so that made a difference. i thought that you believed otherwise. sorry for misuderstanding of your father to son progression logic. the other factor that counters the 'linear progression' theory is that sons arent always taller than their elders.

interesting. never heard of that Dutch issue. the Dutch and other northern Europeans were always on average taller than the southerners and highlanders, iirc. geography also factors in, afaik. it is strange though, why would the hight requirements exceed national average (assuming we are talking of regulars here and not elite units that have different 'yard sticks')? you'll end up with the situation when the most males arent good enough.

I read an article about it somewhere. It stuck in my memory lol.
    Every military has height/weight requirements. I guess the Dutch had to keep up with the rest of Europe, and put their average aside.

Senator

A more recent example as well. Most Vikings were armed with a spear and a knife (seax). Plenty had small axes too... Why? Because swords are expensive and you pretty much use the other three weapons as everyday tools. Spears for hunting,
    Well spears and polearms are actually superior in most situation when used against swords(space and armor playing a role),which is why it was as the primary weapon by many classes having access to swords.Samurai and knights being one example.
    and axes for chopping wood.
    Well you could use an axe used for wood choppig for killing ,but axes made for combat are different to those used as tools,usually having far thiner axeheads making them lighter.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    ... the Dutch and other northern Europeans were always on average taller than the southerners and highlanders, iirc....
    I don't have the quotes on hand, but I remember to have read about Robert Guiscard's northmen in southern Italy being shorter that their italian (lombard) and german (imperial) enemies, even if they were considered fiercer.
    Obviously I'm talking of things well out of the EB timeframe, with the objective to context the highlighted "always". Height didn't have a linear development geographically, socially, in time...
    But hey, I'm quite off-topic too. THe thread was for the horses!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast