Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shogun 2 style multiplayer?

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Shogun 2 style multiplayer?

Quote Originally Posted by Fanest View Post
    here u go u smartass

over 300 ranked battles in FOTS -mind that that doesn't not include lobby mp battles and i used to play in lobby quite alot - specially 2v2
    also i played Fots beta alot - another 100 battles there mybe more

in STW2 pretty much the same - over 300 ranked battles

also mind that i deleted one avatar

With all that in mind i can easily say that avatar mode is stupid gamey system and i wont miss it in future TW games....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So with that vast amount of experience, you are justified in your comments. I don't think so. Nobody made you play it and you were not charged extra for it.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Rome II took a huge step back by not having Avatar Conquest multiplayer. Like others said, players were not forced to play it. To this day I believe Shogun II has a more active multiplayer community than Rome II does. At least in terms of battles.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Quote Originally Posted by JackDionne View Post
    Nobody made you play it and you were not charged extra for it.

We are discussing game feature not money, of which i can with confidence say that is not good and me and many others never liked it even though we used it.

But if u want to believe that making avatar mode didn't cost the consumer any money then ur as naive as u look....

Quote Originally Posted by atheniandp View Post
    Like others said, players were not forced to play it.
    Yes u were because there was no classical mode at the beginning - it was added much later and even today there is no classical option in quick battles. Whole mp ladder is just for avatar system, if u want to play mp score points for your clan and unlock all units/upgrades u had to go through this ordeal.
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

I find the TW online community to be toxic.

I only deployed the wrong way round once.

So I'm not fussed about multiplayer - I'd happily sacrifice it all for more single player content. Save my online gaming for Mortal Kombat, Halo etc.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; October 11, 2014 at 01:30 AM. Reason: not needed

I honestly wasn't a fan of Avatar, but I can see why it was implemented for a game such as S2. I do agree though that the MP in R2 was a massive step back from RTW and S2.

TW MP is awesome if done properly (e.g. MTW 1, RTW) and I wish CA would devote more resources towards it. There is a fairly large TW MP community and they tend to stick around if the MP component is worth playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    I find the TW online community to be toxic.
    That's fairly apparent from the comments just reading this thread.

"I have more gametime than you, therefore I am more qualified to talk about it than you."

What utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Horus View Post
    That's fairly apparent from the comments just reading this thread.

"I have more gametime than you, therefore I am more qualified to talk about it than you."

What utter nonsense.
    So an MP veteran is not more qualified to talk about MP than someone who has never played MP before?

Quote Originally Posted by GoTW Kubee View Post
    So an MP veteran is not more qualified to talk about MP than someone who has never played MP before?
    dont twist words, nobody said that

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

CA will probably bring us Avatar Conquest for the low low price of just £5.99!

Quote Originally Posted by GoTW Kubee View Post
    As we all know anybody can come on any forum and say whatever they want, that's a given.

In order to be able to give constructive criticism that is meaningful and productive, usually helps if you kind of know what you are talking about. That's the only point I was trying to make. Sorry for not making that clear in regards to people complaining about the Avatar Campaign.

All multi-player communities have A-holes in them why should Avatar Campaign be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo11 View Post
    CA will probably bring us Avatar Conquest for the low low price of just £5.99!
    If done properly I would gladly pay that and more depending on what was offered.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; October 15, 2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: dp/merged

iWarsaw's Avatar Semisalis
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Was there anyone who didn't like customizing their general and coloring their army?
    You say you wont buy Atilla but your only lying to your self.

Guys no more of these "no please!" "yes please!" posts please. They add nothing to the discussion.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by JackDionne View Post
    If done properly I would gladly pay that and more depending on what was offered.
    You know I get what you are saying, but it's opinions like this that result in ridiculous DLC whoring. I will pay for good DLC, but paying for an Avatar Conquest we got fully implemented and complete in a previous game is just not on.

Reptilicus's Avatar Civis
    Finland-Jyväskylä,from Serbia originally.

Avatar was a pretty interesting feature,i can see both pros and cons. Personally,i loved the customization of all aspects. Though,i understand the complaints of people who were upset about retainers/"grinding".

As a sidenote to that,it`s pure -it was perfectly possible to win people with superior retainers/veterans.

It`s a shame that the MP in Attila will be bare as like it was in Rome II,but oh well,totally expected.Let`s hope for relevant leaderboards for once,as well as somewhat non retarded unit balancing at release/first couple of patches.
    Dragon of the steppe

Reptilicus
    - winner of the TWC olympics Rome 2 tournament,and many more.
    Youtube channel,bringing you true competitive,non generic multiplayer with legendary campaign guides ! https://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilicusJungleLair/

The simple fact is, total war multiplayer had never been as alive and activity filled as it was during the shogun 2 era. There was so much to get you hooked, whether it be the simple quest for more tokens, the clan campaign map, or the 1 v 1 or 2 v 2 ladder. The 2 v 2 ladder was the only legit ladder (not completely infested with cheats) and I really don't know why they took that out.

Compare that to now when avatar and the ladders are taken away and multiplayer is completely dead. It can take up to 5 minutes just to find a 1 v 1 quick match and there is no incentive for many top players to keep playing and get better. So we're left with the casuals once again who can hop on once a week to play a game and then leave.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; October 18, 2014 at 01:20 AM.

I dont want to defend RTW2 mp but what Lucius Vorrenus said about mp being a wasteland is complete nonsense based on i donno what. RTW2 mp community is quite big there are tourneys almost every week and events picked pace after patch 15. Also i never waited more than 2min for quick battle even at late hours here in EU. Lobby though is broken imo and so a few other things in mp, but its not a compete wasteland as he said...

NO i dont want this stupid gamey system in my mp battles.

Ridiculous unit upgrades, retainers, general skills/abilities etc. made mp unbearable for me because it became it came down to having the right upgrades, abilities, and pushing some magic ability button at the right time. Tactics became twisted and adapted to make some op units do the most kills.

When classic mode came out i was so fed up with the game that i couldn't even bear to look at the stw2 icon on my desktop....
    This is pretty much spot on. Anyone who would support avatar campaign as the primary ladder mode is simply not interested in competitive MP. Avatar campaign was cute and fun, but has no place in competitive RTS ladders where the point is that the more skilled player can outplay his opponent, not the player with the most time played can steam roll everyone else. Take a look at ANY successful MP RTS title and tell me if they had any of this niche leveling structure. I can tell you right now the answer is no, because its unbalanced like crazy.

That said i don't dislike the CONCEPT of avatar campaign, but in its current form circa Shogun 2 it would be a mistake to bring it back as the MAIN form of multiplayer ladder. That is if they want MP ladder to be competitive. If they don't care then it might pop up again, who knows.

I dont want to defend RTW2 mp but what Lucius Vorrenus said about mp being a wasteland is complete nonsense based on i donno what. RTW2 mp community is quite big there are tourneys almost every week and events picked pace after patch 15. Also i never waited more than 2min for quick battle even at late hours here in EU. Lobby though is broken imo and so a few other things in mp, but its not a compete wasteland as he said...
    Its pretty dead now. I used to have hundreds of heavily active friends in shogun 2, where every time I'd log onto steam they'd all be playing like fiends. Now NONE of them play, and there's a few random games on battle list where you can play vs random people who have little concept of high level team work. What kind of a health MP community is that?

The 2 v 2 ladder was the best part of shogun 2, where you could go in with your partner and play quickly against other organized teams. I would have regular sessions in that 2 v 2 match made where me and my partner would play 10-15 quick games on the bounce, all against other organized clans, and against different clans in each game.

Theres none of that to be found in Rome 2.

Also so with the shogun 2 avatar they overdid it with the need for tokens, but they toned it down a lot for FOTS and that's when I thought they were heading in the right direction, until they abandoned it completely.

spot on Sharpe_116 couldn't agree more with what u said

@Lucius Vorrenus well i guess i understand your point now but if i look my steam friend list (over 150ppl) also mind that most of my friends come from TW communities clans etc. hardly anybody launches STW2 nowadays while RTW2 is in last 14days again in the lead. However if i look at most played games of my steam friends in their lifetime then yes STW2 is still in a lead by quite alot.

As for lobby i think that it really is broken because there is more games in rtw1 lobby than in rtw2 lobby and i think it used to be so that u could only see games from your region. CA supposedly fixed this but it still seems this isnt so.
    Last edited by Fanest; October 18, 2014 at 06:55 AM. Reason: grammar

The question is; how much can we expect when Atilla is released (in regards to the multiplayer). I am not pre-ordering it and will only buy it once I see the replays can be saved and not corrupted. This is one title I will be holding onto my money until I can see what is what.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast