Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shogun 2 style multiplayer?

Default Shogun 2 style multiplayer?

The multilayer in Shogun 2 (while unbalanced as hell) seemed like a great step forward. Avatar general, huge customization options to personalize your army. Rather than fixing issues and refining it, with Rome II, it appears they sort of just gave up.

Attila like Rome II? It kinda looks like it.

Default Re: Shogun 2 style multiplayer?

no.

Quote Originally Posted by Leving View Post
    no.

This wasn't terribly useful my friend.

"Shogun 2 style multiplayer?" and and an ending sentence "Attila like Rome II?" are an antithesis. Two contrasting statements put together.

"no" as a word with no specific reference materiel, could be anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yfr_Zj1iU4
    Last edited by MrBoBo1; October 03, 2014 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Embedding is hard

Ca won't make multiplayer any more worth while playing by adding new features.

so you are right that Atilla = Rome II as far as MP goes.

Thanks. Disappointing matey.

Shogun 2's avatar system was terrible. It was totally unfair to new players, and personnally, this kind of multiplayer does not correspond to my vision of a strategy game. It gave some players better army composition, retainers or veterans than others. It artifically restricted the kind of veterans that you could field and on the whole, it made a very frustrating experience. I'm glad they fixed it and went back to a more traditional approach with Rome 2. And they carry on for Attila, great news!

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

I don't recall CA charging extra for the Avatar Campaign.
    I am always flabbergasted by people who have little or no experience with the Avatar Campaign complaining about something they have little experience in playing and were never charged extra for it. When at the same time the traditional method of multi-player was never taken away in Shogun II and nobody was ever physically made to play the Avatar Campaign.
    When people like me who have played well over 2000 battles in the Avatar system and truly appreciated the concept and innovation that went into it are left dumbfounded by those who have played very little if any Avatar and claimer to CA how they don’t want it.
    That’s like me telling CA to get rid of the campaign single player aspect of the TW series because I don’t like it and just want everything to be an Avatar Campaign.
    Just saying.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

The problem with the avatar campaign is how prominent it was. There was no automatch for classic battle for instance, and the default multiplayer setting was avatar, which left no place for classic battle. I think that what your're saying about removing single player campaign features and actually totally focusing on the battles is actually a sound idea: and that's what they're doing with Total War: Arena. Which is good, because people that liked the avatar campaign will be able to enjoy that game, while the other total war player will get their classic battles working as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by myself View Post
    There was no automatch for classic battle for instance, and the default multiplayer setting was avatar, which left no place for classic battle.
    I don't recall if there was a automatch system before Shogun 2 at all. I don't see that people would actually have been so handicapped that they were not able to select between Avatar conquest and Classci Battles. Your argument is pretty invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBoBo1 View Post
    The multilayer in Shogun 2 (while unbalanced as hell) seemed like a great step forward. Avatar general, huge customization options to personalize your army. Rather than fixing issues and refining it, with Rome II, it appears they sort of just gave up.

Attila like Rome II? It kinda looks like it.
    I would love to see an Attila style Avatar Campaign that would be FN awesome.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Avatar mode was so popular they decided to make an entire game out of it (Arena).

To me, it seems they implemented Avatar in Shogun 2 because all the factions had basically the same units and had similar skins across the board, making them easy to customize. That's an advantage of having such a restricted setting with a single culture.

Now imagine implementing that into a game with such a large variety of cultures as Rome II.

Quote Originally Posted by D@gget View Post
    To me, it seems they implemented Avatar in Shogun 2 because all the factions had basically the same units and had similar skins across the board, making them easy to customize. That's an advantage of having such a restricted setting with a single culture.

Now imagine implementing that into a game with such a large variety of cultures as Rome II.
    Good point but not impossible to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDionne View Post
    Good point but not impossible to implement.
    Yes, but it would be a huge leap. I really doubt it could be implemented before release.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Lets be honest, there just aren't enough MP players for ca to be putting any serious resource into it. it is why they stopped after shogun 2.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

NO i dont want this stupid gamey system in my mp battles.

Ridiculous unit upgrades, retainers, general skills/abilities etc. made mp unbearable for me because it became it came down to having the right upgrades, abilities, and pushing some magic ability button at the right time. Tactics became twisted and adapted to make some op units do the most kills.

When classic mode came out i was so fed up with the game that i couldn't even bear to look at the stw2 icon on my desktop....
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Quote Originally Posted by Fanest View Post
    NO i dont want this stupid gamey system in my mp battles.

Ridiculous unit upgrades, retainers, general skills/abilities etc. made mp unbearable for me because it became it came down to having the right upgrades, abilities, and pushing some magic ability button at the right time. Tactics became twisted and adapted to make some op units do the most kills.

When classic mode came out i was so fed up with the game that i couldn't even bear to look at the stw2 icon on my desktop....
    I was wondering when these type of post would show up on this thread.

Because you didn't like it no one else should benefit from an additional Avatar Campaign in future TW projects. That 's what you are implying, please share with us how many battles you played in the Avatar Campaign so that we can appreciate your words of wisdom. I have played around 2300 battles that is the type of answer I expect. Giving an answer like more than I care to remember is not an answer.

I was wondering when these type of post would show up on this thread.

Because you didn't like it no one else should benefit from an additional Avatar Campaign in future TW projects. That 's what you are implying, please share with us how many battles you played in the Avatar Campaign so that we can appreciate your words of wisdom. I have played around 2300 battles that is the type of answer I expect. Giving an answer like more than I care to remember is not an answer.
    I really dislike this attitude. I played way more than you therefore my opinion is more valid. What if I told you that the reason I didn't a lot of Shogun 2 Multiplayer was because I didn't like the avatar system. The fact that it took me forever to unlock units I actually wanted to use and not use exclusively Ashigaru. Maybe I would have liked it if it were more balanced but frankly I don't like grinding. Its why even though I was a massive Halo fan I hated Halo 4. I thought the campaign was great but the grinding for weapons in multiplayer sucked. I like the idea of customizing generals and units as long as I don't have to grind to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Airkiller52 View Post
    I really dislike this attitude. I played way more than you therefore my opinion is more valid. What if I told you that the reason I didn't a lot of Shogun 2 Multiplayer was because I didn't like the avatar system. The fact that it took me forever to unlock units I actually wanted to use and not use exclusively Ashigaru. Maybe I would have liked it if it were more balanced but frankly I don't like grinding. Its why even though I was a massive Halo fan I hated Halo 4. I thought the campaign was great but the grinding for weapons in multiplayer sucked. I like the idea of customizing generals and units as long as I don't have to grind to do it.
    To each their own, I like the Avatar system and will defend it. Sure it's not perfect but show me something that is in regards to TW.

here u go u smartass

over 300 ranked battles in FOTS -mind that that doesn't not include lobby mp battles and i used to play in lobby quite alot - specially 2v2
    also i played Fots beta alot - another 100 battles there mybe more

in STW2 pretty much the same - over 300 ranked battles

also mind that i deleted one avatar

With all that in mind i can easily say that avatar mode is stupid gamey system and i wont miss it in future TW games....

War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast