Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fix Freezing / Crashing / Low Performance / Boost

Krixux's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Fix Freezing / Crashing / Low Performance / Boost

DeI / R2TW while in game is freezing / crashing similar.

1 : Delete – “Rome2.dll” from:
    C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total WarRome II
    Then use STEAM to check the validity of game files. It will download a new Rome2.dll

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

due to the nature of .dll files, it wouldn't hurt to copy your new downloaded Rome2.dll in your system32

Copy Rome2.dll from:
    C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II

Paste Rome2.dll in:
    C:\Windows\System32

Edit:
    After 7+ non stop (lol) hours off DeI (spotless and fast ) I avoided the 20+ turn freeze that normally would have occurred in 4 of 5 situation ! thus imho 2 Rome2.dll files is a plus.

1 : Fix kernelBase.dll error (in-game freeze)
    Win7 : Start , type "command" double-click "command prompt"
    now type:
    sfc /scannow (there is a space between "scf " and "/ scannow")
    let it scan !!! - 5 to 10 minutes and will repair KernelBase.dll
    No freeze no more !

2 : delete – “preferences.script” from:
    C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\scripts
    When you re-start R2TW , a new “preferences.script” will be generated by STEAM.
    to access \AppData\:
    Start button - Control Panel - Appearance and Personalization – Folder Options - View – Advanced settings –Show hidden files, folders, and drives – OK.
    Extreme measure(avoid this if you are unsure):
    Delete bolded :
    C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\The CreativeAssembly\Rome2
    REMEMBER ! delete Rome2 in C:\Users\... and NOT in C:\Program Files\... ! ! !
    Then open:
    C:\Program Files \Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II\redist
    Repair ( in option ):
    vcredist_x86-90.exe
    vcredist_x86-100-sp1.exe
    vcredist_x86-80-sp1.exe
    Before deleting - C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\The CreativeAssembly\Rome2
    make a copy of respective Rome2 in a safe location in case of mess-up

2 : Alternative solution.(perhaps the best to deal with corrupted scripts)
    In:
    C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2
    Delete:
    - army_setups
    - battle_preferences
    - fx_cache
    - ui_cache
    - cripts
    STEAM will create new ones (un-corrupted) next time you'll start R2TW

Also in “preferences.script” at line 18:
    gfx_enable_directx11 false; # gfx_enable_directx11 <bool>, Enable DirectX 11 rendering #
    if is "gfx_enable_directx11 true" - then delete "true" and type "false "

Graphics are low, in-game lag, long loading times :

1 : Install Directx setup from:
    C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total WarRome II\redist\directx
    scroll down tll you find, and run:
    DXSETUP
    (do this each time after video driver update)

2 : !!! (low/mid-end PC) Create a new limited account/user in windows.
    Restart pc and chose new account.
    Play R2TW (or desired game) with this new account.
    Move saved games from :
    C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\The CreativeAssembly\Rome2\save_games
    in :
    C:\Users\Public
    There you will find them with your new account/user
    Edit:
    I am playing DeI with 2nd user/account and There IS a 2x to 3x boost in performance and how high graphic settings can be set ! - Loading times 3 to 5 times faster !!

Boost your game - Faster Loading
    ( debatable : there is pro and contra about this, but I strongly recommend it !)

Click START – in Search, type :msconfig.
    Boot – Advanced Options – Number of Processors 1
    Change to maximum nr of your cpus, ex:
    Boot –Advanced Options – Number of Processors 4
    Apply– Restart now.
    (If your processor has 8cores then : Boot –Advanced Options – Number of Processors 8 : in other words choose maximum of cores allowed)

Edit:
    For my system it gives un incredible boost, in other games programs IE, etc as well
    here is a snip-shot of 2 task managers ( in-game ctr/alt/delete ) : up - 1 core down 4 cores
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	__1and4cpu.PNG 
Views:	236 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	315025
    There is clear difference in using 4 cores instead of 1
    settings before with lag and long loading times:

Name:	_before.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	269.1 KB 
ID:	315049
    settings after with zero lag and greatly reduced loading times:

Name:	_after.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	271.1 KB 
ID:	315050

Edit (thanks to Carbite ) a Must Have !:
    ..." if you already have HT enabled. ... go into the preference.script,txt and scroll down it until you find this line... number_of_threads 0.
    Change the 0 to 8 and save it. It should read ...number_of_threads 8"
    or "number_of_threads 4" depending on how many cores you have
    If you encounter problems of any kind, Some of the above steps , will in the vast majority of cases , restore your game at its peak performance and quality.
    These solutions are gathered from various forums and windows-related articles
    Last edited by Krixux; October 05, 2014 at 02:27 PM.
    D I V I D E - ET - I M P E R A

& A PROPER EMPIRE: TERRA INCOGNITA .... A P E - T I
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Perhaps, as some wit remarked, the best proof that there is Intelligent Life in Outer Space is the fact it hasn't come here. Well, it can't hide forever - one day we will overhear it."

Default Re: Fix Freezing / Crashing / Low Performance / Boost

Boost your game option should be sticky for DEI, its amazing with less than 30 sec loading time now with no side effects at all for me.had like 3 min loading times.

Quote Originally Posted by ferassh View Post
    Boost your game option should be sticky for DEI, its amazing with less than 30 sec loading time now with no side effects at all for me.had like 3 min loading times.
    haha so now you've got 30 sec instead of 3 min , right?
    Or I misunderstood you ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Perhaps, as some wit remarked, the best proof that there is Intelligent Life in Outer Space is the fact it hasn't come here. Well, it can't hide forever - one day we will overhear it."

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

My battles run much better, loading times for custom battles are pretty much the same, but they never were longer then around 30 seconds for me anyway. Luckly my temp remained pretty much the same
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    My battles run much better, loading times for custom battles are pretty much the same, but they never were longer then around 30 seconds for me anyway. Luckly my temp remained pretty much the same
    KAM ? You did some of the fixes listed in the OP ???

I need feed-back ; for the last 3 hours did nothing else but searched www , implemented (meaning F.up my pc big time) tested reversed , so on .

If used some fix please tell which one ...

Patrician

I used the last one, didn't though it would actually help but yeah, battles was on lagging on top settings Not like it always lagged for me, but there were some moments when game had big FPS drops, not it was pretty much the same all the time.

Of course I still need to make few more tests to fully confirm it, but so far looks good.

@KAM 2150

thx m8
    I know, the last one had some serious impact in boosting PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Krixux View Post
    haha so now you've got 30 sec instead of 3 min , right?
    Or I misunderstood you ?
    yes now its 30 seconds instead of 3 min no cpu temp changes in windows and gaming mode
    but I'm talking about the loading after the battle returning back to campaign. the battle loading itself was already fast and no noticeable change can happen to it anyway.
    using windows 8 64-, 7950 CF, Xeon 1230 v2, 8 gig ram ,SSD
    Last edited by ferassh; October 02, 2014 at 07:02 AM.

Does the 4 core solution would also help my system?.

I7 4770k oc 4.4 ghz
    Nvidia 770 4gb Gigabyte OC
    16 GB Ram 1600 mhz
    Windows 8.1 64 bits

Quote Originally Posted by juanplay View Post

I7 4770k oc 4.4 ghz
    Nvidia 770 4gb Gigabyte OC
    16 GB Ram 1600 mhz
    Windows 8.1 64 bits
    yes it should reduce the campaign loading times.. its easy to reverse if you didn't like the results.

Cavalier's Avatar Vicarius

Sorry for asking, but I'm a complete and utter computer noob.

If I set the core solution to 4 instead of 1, does the PC become very warm? Would I be forced to get some sort of cooling system or something if the fans are sub-par? Or does the temperature stay the same?
    August Strindberg: "There's a view, current at the moment even among quite sensible people, that women, that secondary form of humanity (second to men, the lords and shapers of human civilisation) should in some way become equal with men, or could so be; this is leading to a struggle which is both bizarre and doomed. It's bizarre because a secondary form, by the laws of science, is always going to be a secondary form. Imagine two people, A (a man) and B (a woman). They start to run a race from the same point, C. A (the man) has a speed of, let's say, 100; B (the woman) has a speed of 60. Now, the question is 'Can B ever overtake A?" and the answer is 'Never!'. Whatever training, encouragement or self-denial is applied, the proposition is as impossible as that two parallel lines should ever meet."

Patrician

For me it was the same or at least almost not noticeable and I went with 8 cores. Use free program like SpeedFan to check on your PC temp

Cavalier's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    For me it was the same or at least almost not noticeable and I went with 8 cores. Use free program like SpeedFan to check on your PC temp
    Thanks! You're always very helpful!
    August Strindberg: "There's a view, current at the moment even among quite sensible people, that women, that secondary form of humanity (second to men, the lords and shapers of human civilisation) should in some way become equal with men, or could so be; this is leading to a struggle which is both bizarre and doomed. It's bizarre because a secondary form, by the laws of science, is always going to be a secondary form. Imagine two people, A (a man) and B (a woman). They start to run a race from the same point, C. A (the man) has a speed of, let's say, 100; B (the woman) has a speed of 60. Now, the question is 'Can B ever overtake A?" and the answer is 'Never!'. Whatever training, encouragement or self-denial is applied, the proposition is as impossible as that two parallel lines should ever meet."

Quote Originally Posted by juanplay View Post

I7 4770k oc 4.4 ghz
    If you have hyper-threading enabled in the bios then you need to select 8 cores otherwise you'll disable the hyper-threading by selecting 4 cores.

Thank You soo much!! I have all the latest patches and the game was lagging a bit on low settings!! I was so upset I barely played because of it I couldn't figure it out. Thanks to you it has finally become playable. Thanks Again!!!

You are most welcome
    Last edited by Krixux; October 03, 2014 at 01:29 AM.

I thought by default all the cores are used, and this option was only to desactivate some for testing purpose ?
    I'll need to try it myself i guess

with an i7 4770k, should I disable HT and set it to 4 ? or leave HT and in that case should I set it to 8, or still 4 ?

I should really test further the HyperThreading alone, cause I have seen increased perf with it in some games (Watch dogs especially) but small decrease in perf in Arma 3
    so did anyone try it for R2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by KaHzModAn View Post

with an i7 4770k, should I disable HT and set it to 4 ? or leave HT and in that case should I set it to 8, or still 4 ?
    You're better off leaving HT enabled which it'll show up under task manager as 8 cores. I don't think selecting 8 cores in the advance boot options really changes anything if you already have HT enabled. What may help improve things for you is to go into the preference.script,txt which can be found in the location which is mentioned in the first post of this thread and scroll down it until you find this line... number_of_threads 0.

Change the 0 to 8 and save it. It should read ..... number_of_threads 8

Hum ok I'll try that this weekend, I'll probably do some extensive testing anyway with all the options available

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast