Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: XIIICaesar's Legions of Rome - Vanilla Ed. ***8-7-2015 UPDATE***

XIIICaesar's Avatar Senator

Icon12 XIIICaesar's Legions of Rome - Vanilla Ed. ***8-7-2015 UPDATE***

At first, I started updating Frank235's Caesar's Legions to be compatible with Rome II EE. That developed into adding several new features. Then I decided to rework the units themselves which led me to stop using Franky's mod due to the fact I no longer felt comfortable changing so many aspects of someone else's work. This led me to create a new mod from scratch. I have made 15 legions for the Caesar in Gaul (CiG) campaign that are representative of the legions commanded by Gaius Julius Caesar. For the Grand Campaign (GC)/Imperator Augustus (IA) I drew shield designs from Roma Surrectum II, a Rome I mod. I combined the list of legions they made to makeup the original 28 legions used by Octavian. In the Marian era you'll have 28 legions & during the Imperial era you'll have the original 28 legions plus 3 more that RSII used that were created during the Pincipate period. The legions available during the Marian era all upgrade to their Imperial counterparts. Marian units are recruitable upon researching "Cohort Orginization". Imperial units are recruitable upon researching "Professional Soldiery" - this will also enable you to upgrade the Marian units. Also featured is a full AOR system. It works as close as I could get it to the original AOR system used by RSII. I use a mix of amours and such from Kaziel's Romans v4.0 and Vanilla that I have tweaked to my liking. I've also implemented a cheek guard mod too.

***FEATURES***
    All the legions from Roma Surrectum II. PLUS Legio XVII, XVIII, and XVIIII from the Battle of Teutoberg Forest. Using armour textures from Kaziel's Romans v4.0 and various vanilla textures, I've tweaked to simulate what I think real legionnaires would've been like. Non of the fresh, crisp, new stuff like you see in Hollywood films but good ole gritty and used armour and textiles for my legions to show that they've seen battle and are battle-hardened. The shield designs I got from RSII have been completely redone from scratch to be high-res and high-def for Rome II. I've added rust and scratchin overlays to them as well to simulate usage as I don't think it practical that the shields every legionnaire used looked brand new with no defects. These legions were always battling and I wanted to mimic that to the effect of my designs. Eagles are no longer only golden but silver and bronze depending on the era your legion is recruited from. Also featuring custom banners unique to each legions with their number and symbol (coming soon). Each standard bearer also has a unique shield pattern ported over from RSII. Even more detailed are the unique naming to each legion that is as true to historic sources as I could find with a unique description about each legions history that dynamically changes each era as the unit is upgraded. I have also created a new set of legions exclusively for use in the Caesar in Gaul campaign. These "Caesarean" legions were the same as the ones commanded by Caesar himself, 'Hail Caesar!' The AOR system is unique as well. It has been ported over from RSII as close as I could get. Even more so, is once you reach the Imperial era, you will se more armour and skin variants that are based on the location of each legion to better simulate the fact that during the Principate period, Rome granted even the provinces citizenship as well as allowed provincial natives to join the legions (coming soon). I've even fixed the cheek guards on Roman helmets to actually close in around the head instead of "floating" beside the cheeks as if untied like in vanilla Rome II.

In the GC and IA

• 28 legions in the GC & IA
    • 15 legion in CiG
    • All GC/IA legions upgradeable
    • Full AOR system in GC/IA

In IA
    • Starting techs between all 4 Roman factions rebalanced to match ea. other

***This mod alters the startpos. As such, any startpos mod will break it when loaded above it or first and Legions of Rome will break those mods when loaded above them or first. That includes All-Factions Playable (AFP) mods.

***Just for clarity***
    This is not an update of the old version. This a completely new mod made from scratch. Start a new campaign.

I also highly recommend using the Unofficial Mod Manger (OLD & NEW) by .Mitch. It's way simpler and easier to use than the official Rome II launcher; plus it gives you way more control in mod management.

Caesarean Units

Caesarean units use Hamata and Squamata. They use Coolus and Montefortino helmets. They also utilize neckercheifs and wrist bands. The centurions also use leather Musculata. They use the roundish early Scutum. They also use silver/bronze Eagles with a SPQR banner for First Cohorts and the Manus for regular Cohorts.

Legio I

Legio II

Legio III Gallica

Legio IIII Macedonica

Legio V Alaudae

Legio VI Ferrata

Legio VII

Legio VIII Augusta

Legio VIIII Hispana Triumphalis

Legio X Equestris

Legio XI

Legio XII Victrix

Legio XIII

Legio XIIII Gemina Martia

Legio XV

Marian Units

Marian units use Hamata and Squamata. They use Coolus and Montefortino helmets. They also utilize neckercheifs and wrist bands. The centurions also use leather Musculata. They use the roundish squared/roundish Augustan Scutum.

Still to do
    • Eagle variants
    • Banner variants
    • 2nd half of the shields

Legio I Germanica

Legio II Augusta

Legio III Augusta

Legio III Gallica

Legio V Alaudae

Legio VI Ferrata

Legio VII

Legio VIII Augusta

Legio IX Hispana

Legio X Gemina

Legio XI

Legio XIII Gemina

Imperial Units

Haven't messed with the Imperial units much yet. Centurions use iron, brass, & bronze cuirass as well as Hamata & Segmentata. More detailed info will come soon with preview pics.

Still to do
    • Armour tweaks
    • AOR based armour variants
    • AOR based skins (to emulate Roman citizenship for provinces and ethnic diversity in legions)
    • Helmet tweaks
    • AOR based helmets (Syrian-style helmet for some Middle Eastern legions)
    • Shield designs
    • Cheek guards

*****Load above other mods*****

Download Links

***This new mod requires a new campaign. It is NOT save-game compatible

Steam Workshop - DISABLED until I upload it

Google Drive - PACK file

Google Drive - Zip file

AOR System

Will upload info and pics soon.

ANY BUGS or issues or anything lemme know so I can address it and track it down **HOPEFULLY**

Changelog

08-07-2015

• Fixed Legio I MPF (Imperial) text error
    • Custom banner for Caesarean units
    • Few custom banners for Marian/Imperial.... still WIP
    • First/Eagle Cohorts have Lion pelts
    • Regular Cohorts have Wolf/Bear pelts

04-22-2015
    • Changed Caesarean banners to scarlet red color
    • Fixed 'shield wall/shield screen' abilities
    • Added 'wedge' ability
    • Added banners & standard shields for some units - more to come
    • Unit tooltip description fixes

04-16-2015
    • Corrected Legio XIV Imperial name
    • Added 'shield wall' ability

04-07-2015

• Initial Upload

Credits

Octavian21 - Kaziel's Romans v4.0/4.5
    • Hamata
    • Centurion Hamata
    • Imperial Italic/Galic Helmets
    • Neckerchiefs
    • Segmentata
    • Hooks
    • Cloaks
    • Greaves
    • Trousers
    • Tunics
    • Skins
    • Pelts
    • Augustan and Imperial shields (as temporary placeholders)
    • And also for all his help in learning how to mod the various Rome II textures

dvk901 - RSII Mod Team
    • AOR system permission

pacco - RSII Mod Team
    • RSII shield permission

Magnar

ToonTotalWar
    • All his help in my modding journey

And many others for their help along the way!

Other versions of the mod

Radious Edition - XIIICaesar's Legions of Rome

Divide et Impera (DeI) Edition - XIIICaesar's Legions of Rome

Last edited by XIIICaesar; August 07, 2015 at 02:29 AM. Reason: 8-7-2015 Update

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Default Re: Caesar's Legions Named and Numbered for EE VANILLA

Thank you!

hi, can only have me!? but I already wrote that the two groups do not have Lorik, LIT UNIT THROUGH !!! (glitches in patch !!!!,,,, Well maybe it does not interfere with you and,,,,,,,,

xiiii Legion glitch body without clothes
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; October 03, 2014 at 03:37 AM. Reason: dp/merged

Quote Originally Posted by SASHA1321980777 View Post
    xiiii Legion glitch body without clothes
    I dont really know anything about unit modeling or skinning but Ill look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by SASHA1321980777 View Post
    hi, can only have me!? but I already wrote that the two groups do not have Lorik, LIT UNIT THROUGH !!! (glitches in patch !!!!,,,, Well maybe it does not interfere with you and,,,,,,,,
    Just downloaded the Steamm Rome II EE update yesterday morning. Havent had chance to test it with the submod yet or see a list of changes in the new patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pdguru View Post
    Thank you!
    Your welcome dude. Any bugs lemme know! Ill do my best to track it and fix it!
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; October 03, 2014 at 03:37 AM. Reason: triple post/merged

good job but just a little thing, there is a helmet type which looks like plain copper, looks kind of weird ´cos like I said is totally plain, no imperfections and kinda stands out.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Quote Originally Posted by neoiq5719 View Post
    good job but just a little thing, there is a helmet type which looks like plain copper, looks kind of weird ´cos like I said is totally plain, no imperfections and kinda stands out.
    Which units?

Quote Originally Posted by XIIICaesar View Post
    Which units?
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

sedo's Avatar Foederatus

Thanks for updating

All was working fine with a new campaign but after cohort organisation description of my barracks went blank and no more recruitment options for these units...

Any idea what my problem could be ?

disable mods didn't help. I'm playing fresh grand campaign and put the mod 1st using mitch mm

I think is a conflict between the two text files

Right now the AOR system is setup to change where the units are recruitable after each reform(tech researched) based on where the unit was at during those reforms. The techs represent each reform - cohort Marian - Legion imperial or Augustus. The barracks lose description because of the massive amount of units it enables in the recruitable list section of it'd description. I've got to balance the AOR system for better game play balance. I'm working with another user on that now because he's testing it out for me & letting me know better changes.

I think is a conflict between the two text files
    I'll check that out. Havnt thought about that. It might be conflicting with vanilla dB files. Because the techs description do the same thing. Did the same before in the original mod

I'll look into it but I'll tell you I'm no expert or fluent in modeling or skinning on Rome 2 . I could do editing textures and skinning models in medieval 2 total war but it's a been awhile since that even & then I was not an expert I just knew enough to get around.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; October 03, 2014 at 03:39 AM. Reason: triple post/merged

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

ok i helped Franky235 put this mod together and that roman Copper looking helmet is not in this mod, it is a mod conflict I am sure as I spent many nights and long hours with him making these roman units and I know these textures inside out. However I am happy to be proved wrong! To me that helmet looks like it is from either PDGuru's Roman unit mod or possibly ItLeonards roman unit mod?

On that note may I request permisson from XIIICaesar to use your starpos so that I can create the early legions in CIG? you will be credited within my mod, thanks

sedo's Avatar Foederatus

Seems it's working fine after all !

I didn't know this mod was so complex...

looks amazing

Icon10 Re: Caesar's Legions Named and Numbered for EE VANILLA

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    ok i helped Franky235 put this mod together and that roman Copper looking helmet is not in this mod, it is a mod conflict I am sure as I spent many nights and long hours with him making these roman units and I know these textures inside out. However I am happy to be proved wrong! To me that helmet looks like it is from either PDGuru's Roman unit mod or possibly ItLeonards roman unit mod?

On that note may I request permisson from XIIICaesar to use your starpos so that I can create the early legions in CIG? you will be credited within my mod, thanks
    Hell yeah dude. Yeah, you can use it. I've attatched the startpos for Gaul and the relevant dB files as well. They're all in a zip. I mean I figured since he had 3 different distinctive types of Legions why not enable them as the ones used in CiG ya know? They just seemed like they fit the time period to me more than the others. And the ones I have enabled for CiG were historically the ones used during the Gallic Wars! Anyways, I've attatched a zip file containing what you need. In the dB files just look for the entries at the bottom of each dB with a prefix CiG_ & those are the lines you need to copy into your dB files or whatever. You'll know what I mean when you see it. All the work you've done with your mod you'll know what I mean. The startpos; all I did was add the AOR_CiG tag to every region so the "Early Republican" Legions were recruitable in every province. Seemed more balanced for gameplay to me considering the map size so you wouldn't have to have a barracfks in this province or t hat. Just build a barracks wherever and you can recruit them! You have my permission Toon, I am proud to help you out. I know you'd help me I f I needed it. And about the helmets --> if Caesar's Legions is loaded above every other mod no other mods should overwrite it though right? I know nothing of skinning and modelling and texturing outside of Medieval 2 Total War --> I f you could help me with tracking that down much appreciation Please.? I f you need my help on what to pull from what lemme know. All I did was copy the "early_legion units in the dB files and add the CiG_ in front of them and, of course the region resource requirement and various other thing lik CiG_roman faction grouping and what not. You'll see it all in there just let me know if you need any help dude.

main_gaul.7z
    Last edited by XIIICaesar; October 03, 2014 at 01:58 AM.

Hell yeah dude. Yeah, you can use it. I've attatched the startpos for Gaul and the relevant dB files as well. They're all in a zip. I mean I figured since he had 3 different distinctive types of Legions why not enable them as the ones used in CiG ya know? They just seemed like they fit the time period to me more than the others. And the ones I have enabled for CiG were historically the ones used during the Gallic Wars! Anyways, I've attatched a zip file containing what you need. In the dB files just look for the entries at the bottom of each dB with a prefix CiG_ & those are the lines you need to copy into your dB files or whatever. You'll know what I mean when you see it. All the work you've done with your mod you'll know what I mean. The startpos; all I did was add the AOR_CiG tag to every region so the "Early Republican" Legions were recruitable in every province. Seemed more balanced for gameplay to me considering the map size so you wouldn't have to have a barracfks in this province or t hat. Just build a barracks wherever and you can recruit them! You have my permission Toon, I am proud to help you out. I know you'd help me I f I needed it. And about the helmets --> if Caesar's Legions is loaded above every other mod no other mods should overwrite it though right? I know nothing of skinning and modelling and texturing outside of Medieval 2 Total War --> I f you could help me with tracking that down much appreciation Please.? I f you need my help on what to pull from what lemme know. All I did was copy the "early_legion units in the dB files and add the CiG_ in front of them and, of course the region resource requirement and various other thing lik CiG_roman faction grouping and what not. You'll see it all in there just let me know if you need any help dude.

main_gaul.7z
    Thanks mate, got the files and will cross reference with what I have already completed which seems to work fine. Yeah if you load your mod first that will eliminate any other textures causing problems. added you in credits in my mod.

Also great initative putting this together and will mention this to Francky as I am unaware that he probably knows this mod has been updated!! lol +reps mate

Also you may want to look at my revised units in my mod as I have added scabbards and pugio to all roman units! I personally think this completes the look of the unit rosters and have no idea why CA did not implement this fine detail to the units? You will need to credit Artstudio if you use as he created the textures and files.
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; October 03, 2014 at 02:07 AM.

Thanks mate, got the files and will cross reference with what I have already completed which seems to work fine. Yeah if you load your mod first that will eliminate any other textures causing problems. added you in credits in my mod.

Also great initative putting this together and will mention this to Francky as I am unaware that he probably knows this mod has been updated!! lol +reps mate

Also you may want to look at my revised units in my mod as I have added scabbards and pugio to all roman units! I personally think this completes the look of the unit rosters and have no idea why CA did not implement this fine detail to the units? You will need to credit Artstudio if you use as he created the textures and files.
    All right. I'll look into those. As for Franky235, I messaged him dude and told him because he hadn't updated it I had and uploaded it but he never messaged me back Lol. In this thread and the Radious thread and DEI thread I haven't claimed this as my work --> only that I've updated it and have expanded upon it; giving him and his team--> which would by proxy be you, Roma Surrectum 2 everyone that helped full credit for the oprigninal mod including klinks to his origianl thread. I just though Vanilla DEI & Radious all 3 needed this mod dude. If he gets offended or something when you get aHOLD of Franky tell them my intention was never to offend or steal their work or anything of that sort. I just thought people deserved to play a great mod of this caliber with the EE update and since Franky hadnt updated since like March Lol someone needed to do it. And by the way do you know just how little amount of info there is on startpos editing Lol? It took me literally a week and a half combing throught the forums and Google search results before I finally found ONE post that explained how to add new region resources to each region in the startpos Lol.

All right. I'll look into those. As for Franky235, I messaged him dude and told him because he hadn't updated it I had and uploaded it but he never messaged me back Lol. In this thread and the Radious thread and DEI thread I haven't claimed this as my work --> only that I've updated it and have expanded upon it; giving him and his team--> which would by proxy be you, Roma Surrectum 2 everyone that helped full credit for the oprigninal mod including klinks to his origianl thread. I just though Vanilla DEI & Radious all 3 needed this mod dude. If he gets offended or something when you get aHOLD of Franky tell them my intention was never to offend or steal their work or anything of that sort. I just thought people deserved to play a great mod of this caliber with the EE update and since Franky hadnt updated since like March Lol someone needed to do it. And by the way do you know just how little amount of info there is on startpos editing Lol? It took me literally a week and a half combing throught the forums and Google search results before I finally found ONE post that explained how to add new region resources to each region in the startpos Lol.
    Dont worry Francky will be cool as he is a good guy, you done an awesome job here that I know myself and Francky and all others involved do appreciate your hard work on enabling this mod for the other overhauls out there. Yeah me too, i just modded my first starpos this week to enable all factions playable in IA campaign in my AIO mod!! big thanks to izanagi11 for his guidance as he is the king of modding starpos for factions!!

Dont worry Francky will be cool as he is a good guy, you done an awesome job here that I know myself and Francky and all others involved do appreciate your hard work on enabling this mod for the other overhauls out there. Yeah me too, i just modded my first starpos this week to enable all factions playable in IA campaign in my AIO mod!! big thanks to izanagi11 for his guidance as he is the king of modding starpos for factions!!
    I'll have to look izanagi11 up then if I need some help with tutorials. On the startpos. & thnx above all for saying Franky235 wouldn't.mind the update & all the kind words dude. Makes me feel better about it really. I'm glad the original people in this project are thankful for the updated version work
    Last edited by XIIICaesar; October 03, 2014 at 03:00 AM.

The weird looking helmet appears in the legion DeI+the DeI mod but havent seen it in the legion vanilla+vanilla

The weird looking helmet appears in the legion DeI+the DeI mod but havent seen it in the legion vanilla+vanilla
    Its a conflict between files somewhere, I know most of the Roman texture files in DEI but am on vacation now so cannot look at anything till after 13th October

Also some of the roman numerals are wrong

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast